PDA

View Full Version : It a walk off, get you brains beat in!

BigJohn
05-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I think it is stupid!

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/mlb/19986008;_ylt=Apsx9bWI1_MF1Uw0CBwWZboRvLYF

GIDP
05-24-2010, 12:45 PM
wat

BigJohn
05-24-2010, 01:18 PM
HIT a walk off HR and get your brains beat out, why does baseball have this stupid tradition?

Vottomatic
05-24-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm still waiting for Joey Votto to be on the DL for a month due to injuries sustained at the plate after a walk-off HR.

The Voice of IH
05-24-2010, 04:51 PM
That reminds me of the John Madden Quote from that movie about the football rejects that get to turn pro.

"if you can't take the congratulations, don't do the accomplishment"
(I know that is not an exact quotation, just close)

sabometrics
05-25-2010, 01:24 AM
That reminds me of the John Madden Quote from that movie about the football rejects that get to turn pro.

"if you can't take the congratulations, don't do the accomplishment"
(I know that is not an exact quotation, just close)

hahaha The Replacements ... haven't seen that movie in, well, since it came out.

I think it's "Don't do anything great if you can't handle the congratulations."

ian_madden
05-25-2010, 09:02 AM
I think it is the best celebration in sports.

BigJohn
05-25-2010, 09:38 AM
How is beating on someone a celebration? It has been banned in high school sports. I am glad.

ian_madden
05-25-2010, 09:56 AM
the entire team is celebrating with the 1 person that pulled through in the clutch. It was 1 guy that got a hit against a defense of 9. That 1 guy is rewarded with the adoration and love of his teammates. these are grown men, not kids. I think they can handle the celebration.

BigJohn
05-25-2010, 10:14 AM
do you show adoration and love by beating on someone?

AccordinglyReds
05-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Great thread. Would read again! A++++

BigJohn
05-25-2010, 12:11 PM
It is all fun and games until someone loses an eye!!!!!!!

PhillipsHead
05-25-2010, 02:21 PM
These are grown men for god sakes...who cares!!!

They're not gonna get hurt by a walk-off huddle...

sivman17
05-25-2010, 02:37 PM
They're not gonna get hurt by a walk-off huddle...

well, i think chris dickerson could... but i don't think we ever have to worry about him hitting a walk-off

The Voice of IH
05-25-2010, 02:49 PM
hahaha The Replacements ... haven't seen that movie in, well, since it came out.

I think it's "Don't do anything great if you can't handle the congratulations."

yep that's what it was, :D

Natty Redlocks
05-25-2010, 03:07 PM
HIT a walk off HR and get your brains beat out, why does baseball have this stupid tradition?

I'm with you, buddy. Some jerk always takes it too far. I noticed this for the first time when Dunn hit his walkoff granny against Cleveland and Freel was just whaling on him like a freaking psycho. What exactly is the upside? Because the downside would be, like, a concussion. It's obvious there are guys who don't enjoy it. If they're grown men, maybe they should be able to control themselves.

Kingspoint
05-25-2010, 06:55 PM
These are baseball players.

They're idea of a fight is to close your eyes and flail your arms at each other. Maybe tossing a glove at them if they're really mad.

ian_madden
05-26-2010, 01:37 AM
do you show adoration and love by beating on someone?

If we were on the same team, and its as exciting as a walk off hit, yes! I'm giving high fives, smacking their behind, shaking them, laughing having a good old time. I think these celebrations are light years better than the end zone dances we see in the NFL. These are situations that, contrary to what the reds have done this year, don't happen that often. They need to be embraced.

Now if my buddy just graduated from College or just got a promotion at work. No, I'll buy him a drink. But there are times and places for some excessive celebration. A walk off hit is one of those situations.

Big John if we have a walk off hit to win the world series, you can hit me all you want!!!!

texasdave
05-30-2010, 12:18 AM
It is all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.

Morales breaks leg while celebrating walk-off grand slam.

" It'll change the way we celebrate,'' Angels manager Mike Scioscia said before the extent of Morales' injury was known. " It sure was exciting, but you always wonder if it's an accident waiting to happen. This is definitely unfortunate. We've just got to wait and see what we're dealing with. We'll know more information as the night moves on." Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2010/05/29/29251_recap.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0pNoQks9S
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Kingspoint
05-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Providence.

sabometrics
05-30-2010, 01:03 AM
When I saw that this thread was the first thing that popped into my mind. All things considered though, this was a freak occurrence. Let the guys have their fun. Morales wasn't hurt by his teammates anyways, he hurt it after landing awkwardly on a locked leg after a big jump.

Reds
05-30-2010, 02:02 AM
I wouldn't tolerate a team crowding the plate and jumping all over someone if I was paying them. Form a line and congratulate him one at a time, unless it's game 7 or something. We play 162 games, not worth losing someone going crazy over 1/162.

Vottomatic
05-30-2010, 07:20 AM
It is all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.

Morales breaks leg while celebrating walk-off grand slam.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2010/05/29/29251_recap.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0pNoQks9S
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Yeah, I was going to come post on this thread after seeing Morales get hurt. You can say he hurt it on his own, but I disagree. I think the celebration added to it.

Hopefully the Reds take note.