PDA

View Full Version : Muscle cramps in legs while asleep

BUTLER REDSFAN
05-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Any1 have any issues with cramps while in bed asleep or maybe the minute you wake up? I have never had a serious issue with this until the last few nights. I woke up Friday morning with an immediate cramp in back left thigh so intense and relentless I didn't think it would ever stop. Then this morning while still asleep I had another one in back of left calf and this was worse than the other one. It woke me up and I was close to tears. Had to get up and walk around the house at 5am and it feels like I tore something even now. A friend suggested a big gulp of Gatorade before I go to bed tonight.

KoryMac5
05-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Stretching your legs before bed while doing a little self massage may help. Showering at night may help too as the warm water could keep the cramps away. Bananas are great for cramps as I eat one every day.

Spazzrico
05-24-2010, 10:39 PM
An old trainer during my track days suggested charleyhorses were partially due to a lack of potassium. Try some bananas.

On a related note, this happened to me once about 15 years ago. I was just sleeping like you when it hit me. I woke up screaming and my heard me from upstairs and came down to help me stretch it out. I still have vivid memories of the pain. Not fun.

Good luck with it.

Orodle
05-24-2010, 11:10 PM
like spazz said.......bananas and also make sure your hydrated

GIDP
05-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Ive woken up to leg cramps before. I have no remedy other than water and bananas but I will say its not a fun thing to wake up to.

Degenerate39
05-24-2010, 11:54 PM
I've only had this problem one time. I woke up screaming because the back of my calf was cramping so bad. One of the worst pains I've left

Sean_CaseyRules
05-25-2010, 02:48 AM
So weird that this thread just came up. Last night I was awoke by a cramp in my right calf. I'm pretty sure it was because I hadn't drank enough water, I was in the pit for rock on the range moshing around for Rob Zombie and Limp Bizkit, without any water. It was the moat terrible awakening I've ever had.

Redlegs23
05-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Definitely bananas. Every time I work out I cramp up so bad unless I have had my daily banana. Get that potassium.

George Anderson
05-25-2010, 12:05 PM
I have this happen on occasion if I have been walking alot on concrete floors.

The only advice I can give you is when it happens, point your toes downward and rub the spot somewhat gently that is hurting on your leg. Try to relax your leg muscles as you do this.

Also try not to think about the pain as you rub, think about something like baseball. It helps distract the pain.

Roy Tucker
05-25-2010, 12:12 PM
I had this happen once when I switched blood pressure medications. My calves cramped up so bad I thought I was going to pass out. No fun at all.

My doc recommended potassium supplements (pills) which did the trick. I got sick of bananas.

klw
05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I used to get these occasionally while running Track and Cross Country in HS, usually a dehydration issue. I came across a tip in a runner's magazine once. It suggested taking your thumb and index finger of one hand and pinching you upper lip until the cramp subsided. It usually worked though I have no idea if it was an accupuncture type response or if I was just distracting myself until the muscle relaxed.

GIDP
05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
The worst part about these is when you feel them coming when you wake up and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

SunDeck
05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
See the Mayo Clinic guide to night leg cramps (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-leg-cramps/MY00410).

Never had them, myself. Good luck.

CarolinaRedleg
05-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Had two in one night on Friday. Needless to say I had a noticeable limp the rest of the weekend.
I've found -- if you can -- that getting out of bed and standing makes them go away quickly.

savafan
05-25-2010, 10:29 PM
My dad had this problem for as long as I can remember, and I picked it up about the time I was in junior high and still deal with it today. We subscribe to the banana cure.

texasdave
05-25-2010, 11:45 PM
This is from the link above.

Most of the time, true night leg cramps occur for no known reason, and they're harmless. However, in rare situations, night leg cramps can be associated with an underlying disorder such as peripheral artery disease or diabetes.

They may be harmless but they are very painful. I have had these off and on pretty much since about age 25. I have jogged on and off since high school and they seem to occur more often, oddly enough, when I am not jogging regularly. The opposite would seem to make more sense to me. I just grit my teeth and massage my calf until they go away.

Allegro
05-26-2010, 05:43 PM
I used to get these occasionally while running Track and Cross Country in HS, usually a dehydration issue. I came across a tip in a runner's magazine once. It suggested taking your thumb and index finger of one hand and pinching you upper lip until the cramp subsided. It usually worked though I have no idea if it was an accupuncture type response or if I was just distracting myself until the muscle relaxed.

As weird as this sounds, it definitely works. It is a pressure point thing I have heard.

CrackerJack
05-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Got them during and after games, and while sleeping, when I played football, dehydration issue (see Chad Johnson's frequent trips to the locker room for an IV during games). For me, always in the calves.

Yes, potassium and fluids are the best preventitive measure. Definitely eat a bannana or a sports drink before bed (btw, gatorade or powerade before going to sleep after a night of drinking is the best hangover cure there is).

You'll notice trainers push back the foot of the athlete towards their leg to stretch the muscle out until it subsides.

You may not be drinking enough water throughout the day as well.

Mario-Rijo
05-29-2010, 07:29 PM
See the Mayo Clinic guide to night leg cramps (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-leg-cramps/MY00410).

Never had them, myself. Good luck.

Read this because depending on your age and/or health it could be signs of of more serious issues. I know rubbing a charley horse is fine, rubbing a blood clot i've heard not so good. Just FYI