PDA

View Full Version : With Bailey down, Owings as 5th starter?

The Snow Chief
05-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Many people, including the ORG, say they like Owings in the long relief role. I guess I can see that if you have 5 starting options that are clearly better. Now that Homer is down, I would like to see Owings get a couple starts. He has performed well this year (although a small sample size). If you look at both ERA and WHIP, the only reliever having a better season is Rhodes. I don't think we have anyone in AAA that is clearly a better option than Owings at this time. Chapman and others may be better options down the road.

I think Owings adds so much more to the team as a starter. The 2-3 ABs he gets each game as a starter gives the offense a shot in the arm. When he is not in the pen, he can be used as a pinch hitter from the right side in games in which he does not start and the Reds will not have wasted a position player. He has only gotten 9 ABs this year because Dusty wants to save him in case the game goes into extra innings. His value proposition as one of the game's best hitting pitchers (although he has struggled in only 9 ABs this year) is greatly diminished by being in the pen.

I would give Owings a shot at starting the next time Bailey's spot comes up and and use a AAA reliever to take his spot. If he blows up, a AAA starter can always be called up the next time around.

arkimadee
05-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Id say lets bring Roy Oswalt in to make the start :)

Hanover
05-25-2010, 11:50 AM
I would leave Owings where he is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't think anyone thinks that Owings is the long term answer as a starting pitcher.

Let's see if Maloney, Wood, or LeCure has what it takes to be one of those guys.

Girevik
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm kind of torn on this. On one had, the pen has been bad and I'm afraid that taking Owens out will make it even worse, and I would kind of like to see what one of the young arms can do. On the other hand, with the team being if first place I'm not sure this is a time for experimenting. I'm not sure Ownings wouldn't be more valuable starting a couple of times as opposed to throwing out of the pen every 2 weeks.

BigJohn
05-25-2010, 12:09 PM
For what COCO makes, he should be a starter. Let A Rhodes be the closer!

PhillipsHead
05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Leave Owings in the pen...Dusty needs to give him a few more occasional PH appearances to keep him fresh, but he'll just start to crumble as a starter again if he goes back to that role...

Mr Larkin
05-25-2010, 02:52 PM
I would give Owings the starts if Homer is only gone for two weeks.

sabometrics
05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
We've seen Owings' act as a starter and it hasn't really been impressive. A career 5.13 ERA as a starter isn't really something I'm jumping to inject into the rotation, especially when he's actually providing real value in his role as a reliever. There's guys down in AAA, give them a shot, and leave Owings be.