PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday, May 26 Minor League Updates

dougdirt
05-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Lynchburg has an 'education day' game.

Mark Serrano is on the mound for the Hillcats and gave up a solo HR in the first inning and the Hillcats are down 1-0 in the 2nd.

dougdirt
05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Serrano is working in the mid 80's today again. That is concerning. Despite that though, he has pitched a very good game. Just 2 runs allowed through 5 innings so far with 6 strikeouts. Lynchburg has not scored though against Braves super prospect Julio Teheran.

Two seconds after I submitted that, Serrano hit 91 on the gun.

dougdirt
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Lynchburg gets one back on a wild pitch and trails 2-1. Alex Buchholz doubled off the wall and is standing on 2nd with 2 outs in the 8th.

GOYA
05-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Wind: 20 mph, Out to RF.

That might make a difference.

dougdirt
05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Hillcats lose 2-1.

muddie
05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Here it is boys...Klinker to Louisville. I don't think this has been posted yet.

Zebulon, NC --- The Cincinnati Reds have made several player moves impacting their Double-A affiliate prior to tonight's homestand opener against the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx.

RHP Matt Klinker has been promoted to Triple-A Louisville, while RHP Dallas Buck has been placed on the disabled list with an oblique strain. LHP Lee Tabor has been activated from the disabled list, while LHPs Matt Fairel and Daryl Harang have been promoted to the Mudcats from High-A Lynchburg.

The Mudcats roster is now at the Southern League limit of 24 players.

A revised roster is attached.

ACTIVATE: LHP Tabor, Lee (DL)
ADD: LHP Harang, Daryl (From Lynchburg)
ADD: LHP Fairel, Matt (From Lynchburg)
DELETE: RHP Klinker, Matt (To Louisville)
DISABLE: RHP Buck, Dallas (Oblique Strain

OnBaseMachine
05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
About time they promoted Klinker to Louisville. Now if they would just promote Donnie Joseph.

muddie
05-26-2010, 01:03 PM
About time they promoted Klinker to Louisville. Now if they would just promote Donnie Joseph.

True about Klinker. Congrats to him. I hate to see him go but this is what it's all about.

mace
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
The big news there is Fairel, in my view.

mth123
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Fairel and Klinker are the 2 best starting pitching prospects not on the 40 man roster. Glad to see them both promoted.

When Bailey returns, I hope this sticks and some one like Lehr is moved to another role.

Maloney
Lecure
Wood
Chapman
Klinker

Nice.

batsfan
05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Fairel and Klinker are the 2 best starting pitching prospects not on the 40 man roster. Glad to see them both promoted.

When Bailey returns, I hope this sticks and some one like Lehr is moved to another role.

Maloney
Lecure
Wood
Chapman
Klinker

Nice.

According to a quote by rick sweet in the Louisville Courier-Journal, Lehr's season is over, and he may need surgery.

mth123
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
According to a quote by rick sweet in the Louisville Courier-Journal, Lehr's season is over, and he may need surgery.

Hadn 't heard. Thanks for the info. Elbow? Shoulder?

batsfan
05-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Here is the quote:

It marked the first time this season Reineke didn't allow a run in more than two innings of work. He replaced Justin Lehr, who is out with an inflamed right elbow, in the Bats starting rotation in just his third start of the season.

"Since we lost Lehr, he's in our rotation," Bats manager Rick Sweet said. "Lehr is probably going to have surgery and he's done for the year, so Reineke, as of now, will stay in the rotation."

Ron Madden
05-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Elbow.

mth123
05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
I like Lehr and AAAA vets are nice insurance for a major league team, but he was the wrong guy at the wrong time for this franchise. The reds have a number of prospects to sort through when a big league rotation spot becomes available and Lehr was taking up space. On another team he may have had a chance at the big leagues or at least as the first alternate.

If he wants to continue to pitch, best of luck to him. If he wants to move on to his next career, he may make a good training buddy/mentor/roving instructor for Homer Bailey. They could rehab together and Lehr could probably help him out.

The Reds should offer him a job in the system.

OesterPoster
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
IMHO, guys like Lehr who throw so many splitters are just biding time until the elbow goes.

mace
05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
mth, by your comments I can see that you appreciate the role a mentoring veteran plays, and you appreciate Lehr to that extent. And I agree that the Reds are bursting with near-ready pitchers in the upper minors. But I wouldn't fault them for sticking with Lehr.

It's sort of the way I view the Rolen trade. Some people look at it as a guy getting in the way of a youth movement. But I'd contend--and I think this is where the Reds are coming from--that a guy like Rolen, and a guy like Lehr, is essential to a youth movement. When there's a preponderance of young guys, they absolutely need examples and role models and players who have been there, done that. If you track all the moves Jocketty has made in the past year, you see this at every turn. And it would certainly appear that he's on the right track.

mth123
05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
mth, by your comments I can see that you appreciate the role a mentoring veteran plays, and you appreciate Lehr to that extent. And I agree that the Reds are bursting with near-ready pitchers in the upper minors. But I wouldn't fault them for sticking with Lehr.

It's sort of the way I view the Rolen trade. Some people look at it as a guy getting in the way of a youth movement. But I'd contend--and I think this is where the Reds are coming from--that a guy like Rolen, and a guy like Lehr, is essential to a youth movement. When there's a preponderance of young guys, they absolutely need examples and role models and players who have been there, done that. If you track all the moves Jocketty has made in the past year, you see this at every turn. And it would certainly appear that he's on the right track.

Valid point, but some guys do this job while adding production (Rolen, for example) while others block progress (Lehr over Klinker, Burke in front of Alonso to start the year, Adkins in front of anyone, etc.)

mace
05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Valid point, but some guys do this job while adding production (Rolen, for example) while others block progress (Lehr over Klinker, Burke in front of Alonso to start the year, Adkins in front of anyone, etc.)

Yeah, it's a fine line. In Lehr's case, he had been extremely productive the past couple years in AAA, and even had some success last year with the Reds. So I think he warranted the investment, and at least a couple months of opportunity. Then the question becomes, how long can you go with that kind of guy if he's not performing well? I'd imagine that's where the Reds are right now with Miguel Cairo.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Don't see a thread for it, or see it in this thread, so I'll say it.

Sutton has been promoted to the Majors (so what does Baker do?....start Cairo at 1st Base even though Sutton has played 1st Base the whole of last week, AND, he bats Cairo 2nd in the lineup).

Nice to see Sutton up (Janish is on the bereavement list as his grandmother passed away, but I'm sure most reading this already knew this.....just didn't see it posted anywhere in the Minor League forum).

HokieRed
05-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the info, Kingspoint. Doesn't surprise me that Dusty would start Cairo. I'd have been surprised by anything else.

Kingspoint
05-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Now that Sutton is gone from the minors, I need a new player to pimp.

That's going to be Sean Henry.

Would like to see Henry moved to AAA before June ends.

mth123
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Carolina 0-0 after 2.

Webb 2 IP, 3K.

mace
05-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Carolina wins 6-2. Three hits for Kahaulelio, two for Denove, two with a HR for Sean Danielson. Odd line for Travis Webb: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 6 BB, 7 K. Valiquette finishes.

mace
05-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Jacob Johnson, the 19-year-old, finally gets his first win for Dayton. He's been in the rotation all year, and struggling, but he's a nice prospect. The score tonight was 5-3 and his line was: 5 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K. Ricky Bowen pitched 2.2 scoreless innings in what I believe was his first appearance of the season. Donnie Joseph went 1.1 for the save. Gregorius and Fleury homered. Thomas Nurre had three hits.