PDA

View Full Version : What's the word on Votto?

TylerScottDavis
05-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Just wanted to know if anybody has heard anything about why Votto didn't play last night.

A thread on the ORG says something about a "stiff neck," but then points out that Dusty said it was "a scheduled day off."

However, I definitely heard Chris say, following Cairo's HR last night, that Cairo was making an unexpected emergency appearance at 1st.

Quatitos
05-27-2010, 08:02 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100526&content_id=10459716

Sounds like both Votto and Rhodes should hopefully be available soon, I would hate to have to go too many games with neither of them available.

Rockermann
05-27-2010, 10:46 AM
I bet it's more than just the one game he misses. Last night, after the game when he was walking down the congratulatory line, he was pulling back from everyone as if to say, "Easy... my neck... don't hurt me."

Vottomatic
05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Stiff neck. Probably got it from those two brush back pitches he received the night before. He really winced at the first one and looked like he hurt himself.

1990REDS
05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
I bet it's more than just the one game he misses. Last night, after the game when he was walking down the congratulatory line, he was pulling back from everyone as if to say, "Easy... my neck... don't hurt me."

hit the nail on the head right thier. hes not playin tonight:(

The Voice of IH
05-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Per Fay Twitter

"Just talked to Votto. He is better. Asked if could pinch-hit: Totally up to Dusty."

^ (Another Rolen!?!? ;))

GIDP
05-27-2010, 04:34 PM
I dont think its all that crazy for Reds fans to be worried about Votto. They tried to mask his issues last year. I hope its not what we fear but you are shorting yourself if you dont at least think its slightly possible.

I think I believe its a stiff neck.

The Voice of IH
05-27-2010, 04:36 PM
I doubt that it is anything more then a stiff neck. I hadn't even considered that Votto may have slipped back in, and I don't think there reason too right now.

Kingspoint
05-27-2010, 05:16 PM
I dont think its all that crazy for Reds fans to be worried about Votto. They tried to mask his issues last year. I hope its not what we fear but you are shorting yourself if you dont at least think its slightly possible.

I think I believe its a stiff neck.

When's the anniversary of his father's passing? It was early August, I believe.

For Votto, that's going to be a very difficult time to get through.

Vottomatic
05-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Why so worried about Votto. We got Cairo. :eek:

The Voice of IH
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
was there any word on votto during the post game show last night? any idea when he is excepted back?

LeDoux
05-28-2010, 11:30 AM
I have it on good authority that Votto's neck stiffness was caused by Dunn and Griffey Jr. They put a Voodoo curse on him by hijacking the truck carrying the Votto boobleheads and then rusting the springs with the tears of Raphael Palmeiro. It was payback for removing the couch.

GIDP
05-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Votto not in the line up again today.

Redlegs_87
05-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Starting to think maybe Janish's grandmother dying has brought up unwanted emotions for Votto.

jredmo2
05-28-2010, 04:04 PM
The typical recovery time for a stiff neck is 1-3 days. This would be the third day. Votto is our best player, and we're playing the Astros. I realize that last year Votto's injury status was vague for a while before the anxiety issues were reported, but there is nothing to see here.

GIDP
05-30-2010, 11:42 AM
http://twitter.com/ctrent/status/15048593372

#Reds Votto says he's feeling better, will hit in the cage today. Baker wouldn't commit to a return date

This is manager code for hes going to be out for a while. Something is wrong here. Either they are hiding something else here or his neck is majorly screwed. 5 days for a stiff neck is scary.

BLEEDS
05-30-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm guessing he'll go in the St. Louis series. Possibly tomorrow, but I'm guessing we want him in there v Carpenter at 100%.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

FlyerFanatic
05-30-2010, 12:13 PM
http://twitter.com/ctrent/status/15048593372

This is manager code for hes going to be out for a while. Something is wrong here. Either they are hiding something else here or his neck is majorly screwed. 5 days for a stiff neck is scary.

yep, time to worry imo. the reds keeping fans in the dark is their motto. wouldnt shock me to see votto not see any action in the cardinals series.

NeilHamburger
05-30-2010, 12:23 PM
My guess is his first game back is against Carpenter on Wednesday.

TheOnlyRedsFan
05-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Still no Joey Votto, who is out of the starting lineup for the fifth consecutive day with a stiff neck.

"It's getting better," Votto said.

He ran and threw yesterday and was planning on hitting in the cage before Sunday's game against the Astros.

Despite missing four games, Votto said he's fine sitting out, because the team is winning. The Reds have won all four games he's missed so far.

"We're winning and kicking ass," Votto said. "I'd be really upset if we were losing 4-3, 2-1. But with all these wins, I'm having a great time."

Dusty Baker wasn't ready to commit to a return date for Votto. The Reds travel to St. Louis after today's game for a three-game series with the second-place Cardinals.

"I don't know, it depends on how much improvement he makes. The ammount of improvement he made from the day before yesterday to yesterday was tremendous, we'll see how he feels this morning, whether he's sore or not," Baker said. "He ran and threw, now he has to hit. I'm just inclined that when a guy's been out, like Jimmy Rollins in Philadelphia, when they say they're ready, I like to wait one day longer because there's something different about working out than there is to playing."

GIDP
05-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Well maybe they are just taking the Astros and Pirates for granted and making sure hes 100% for the Cardinals.

Kinda surprising that a team would keep someone out like that honestly.

GIDP
05-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Joey is apparently so bad that he couldnt pinch hit today in the 9th or pinch hit for Cairo.

How long will he sit there with a neck hurting so bad that he cant even swing a bat?

Vottomatic
05-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Gotta admit I'm getting concerned. And the lack of "real" information scares me too.

We all know what happened last year when he was out for a month. Yikes.

sabometrics
05-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Well we're basically at the point where you shelf him on the DL or start him in St. Louis. I'm really worried that it's going to be the latter when I wake up tomorrow and check RedZone.

Ohioballplayer
05-31-2010, 11:54 AM
I really wouldnt worry, he has a stiff neck, it happens, sometimes it affects people in different ways, I know when I get one it hurts all the way down in my back and have had extreme cases of it lasting up to a week long.

They rested him and they played very well, nice to see Cairo squash some of my concerns about his hitting and defense. He will be ok and be nice and rested for the Cardinals series. No offense, but if I was Duhsty I would have rested him this series also if he had a stiff neck no reason to try turning into a strained neck or a pulled muscle. Now he has rested and is ready for the Cardinals.

NICE DECISION THIS TIME DUHSTY!!

NeilHamburger
05-31-2010, 01:08 PM
yep, not available again today. If he's not available by tomorrow you must DL him.

But, honestly, if Brandon Phillips had this exact thing, I'd say he would've been playing Friday.

Votto just seems like the type of guy that isn't going to fight to get into the lineup unless he's 100% healthy both physically and mentally. And in this game there's always going to be injuries and stressful situations over 162 grueling games. And this is before he signs a big contract.

Situations like this makes you wonder about offering him any type of huge long term deal. As right now in theory he should be fighting to play no matter what. What happens when he no longer has a financial incentive?

redsfanmia
05-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Situations like this and his anxiety issues make me question signing this guy long term. I really like him and want to keep him but if thing like this crop up every season he is not with huge dollars. The Reds should have been proactive and DL'ed him rather than play short handed.

GIDP
05-31-2010, 01:24 PM
This is ridiculous. Is his neck broken?

NeilHamburger
05-31-2010, 01:28 PM
I mean, Albert Pujols has chronic elbow and knee trouble. Put he suits it up and plays in pain throughout the season. Why? Because he knows he's the best player on the team and they can't be without him.

For Votto to be worth anything post 30 he will have to learn to play in pain. As post-30 every baseball player has soreness, stiff muscles and pain in the baseball grind.

A player needs to be tough, both mentally and physically.

Quite frankly, right now I question how tough Votto is.

GIDP
This is where our local media flat out sucks. They do nothing more than just take quotes and repeat them on some paper. Fans are completely in the dark on everything.

RedsfaninOKC
This is getting quite frustrating...

GIDP
05-31-2010, 01:30 PM
I question if its really a neck. Ive never had a stiff neck last 6 days. I cant imagine a stiff neck so bad that you couldnt play baseball with. Maybe 1 or 2 days but 6? Hes either got a broken neck or they are hiding something else.

How long can a guy hold a team hostage like this? DL him or something. No reason to play with a short bench for a week.

Griffey012
05-31-2010, 01:38 PM
I question if its really a neck. Ive never had a stiff neck last 6 days. I cant imagine a stiff neck so bad that you couldnt play baseball with. Maybe 1 or 2 days but 6? Hes either got a broken neck or they are hiding something else.

How long can a guy hold a team hostage like this? DL him or something. No reason to play with a short bench for a week.

I know a few people pointed to when he jerked back to miss getting hit by an up and in pitch. If this is what caused it, it is most likely some sort of muscle strain or even whiplash. I do not believe it is just a stiff neck, but don't think it is a major issue.

GIDP
05-31-2010, 01:53 PM
I know a few people pointed to when he jerked back to miss getting hit by an up and in pitch. If this is what caused it, it is most likely some sort of muscle strain or even whiplash. I do not believe it is just a stiff neck, but don't think it is a major issue.

if its a real issue then DL the guy. I'm probably coming off as harsh but this is beyond silly. The Reds constantly play with 24 men on the roster when someone is hurt. They say things like "its just a strain" then 2 months later a guy is going under the knife for Tommy John. Last year Votto had an inner ear infection that turned into a suicide death watch or something. It gets so frustrating to watch the media be so poor at their jobs while the fans who care get taken as fools.

Vottomatic
05-31-2010, 02:07 PM
http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Fay says on his twitter that there's a "chance" Joey will play tomorrow and that he is going to take batting practice today. Taking batting practice makes me feel better.

FlyerFanatic
05-31-2010, 02:09 PM
http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Fay says on his twitter that there's a "chance" Joey will play tomorrow and that he is going to take batting practice today. Taking batting practice makes me feel better.

he's taken BP and fielded everyday since being out...nothing new. again, i dont think votto plays at all this series. votto was quoted as saying he doesnt mind since we're winning, but this is the cardinals and battle for first. he should want to play badly.

Vottomatic
05-31-2010, 02:10 PM
he's taken BP and fielded everyday since being out...nothing new. again, i dont think votto plays at all this series. votto was quoted as saying he doesnt mind since we're winning, but this is the cardinals and battle for first. he should want to play badly.

On ORG, they disagree with you. They said he hasn't been taking BP until today.

FlyerFanatic
05-31-2010, 02:12 PM
On ORG, they disagree with you. They said he hasn't been taking BP until today.

from what i read from a few press clippings he has been swinging in the cages and such. maybe not during BP...then again that could be wrong, cuz he hasnt been avail to pinch hit either. regardless at this point red flags are everywhere.

Redlegs_87
05-31-2010, 02:13 PM
They have been saying he might take BP but today he will. He threw and ran the past few days but didn't take BP.

1990REDS
05-31-2010, 02:19 PM
This is where our local media flat out sucks. They do nothing more than just take quotes and repeat them on some paper. Fans are completely in the dark on everything.

agreed. if this happened in newyork, or boston, or chicago or LA the media would want real answers, and not just its a stiff neck. they wouldnt stand for BS runaround quotes from the FO.

FlyerFanatic
05-31-2010, 02:40 PM

its not only that, but with some of the best medical attention you get by being a professional athlete, you would think they could work it out.

Mutaman
05-31-2010, 03:06 PM
agreed. if this happened in newyork, or boston, or chicago or LA the media would want real answers, and not just its a stiff neck. they wouldnt stand for BS runaround quotes from the FO.

Absolutely true! if this was the Yankees or the Mets it would be 24/7. That's all they would be talking and writing about and you can be sure reporters would insist on straight answers. In Cincy, the press treats the Reds like they're some college team, letting them be evasive on injury issues. And the dumb thing is, by being evasive, it just opens the issue up to all kinds of speculation.

I don't think the Reds or those who cover the Reds will ever change. But Joey's agent should realize this situation is not good for his client and he should do something about it.

FlyerFanatic
05-31-2010, 03:12 PM
been some more updates from fay and sheldon. saying they think votto is back tommorow, baker saying theres a chance he's back tommorow.

i'm gonna stick with my original theory votto doesnt play at all this series. i'll gladly eat the crow if i'm wrong

LeDoux
05-31-2010, 04:10 PM
I understand why the Reds may be reluctant to share some information about some types of ailments with the public. I thought much of the talk about Votto's "depression" or "anxiety" last year was way off base. Anyone can aquire an anxiety or depressive disorder with the right set of experiences. Everyone is vunerable to them to some degree. These are not like personality disorders which are somewhat stable. Yet this latest instance shows you that the stigma surrounding any type of mental health issue is alive and well. My frustration is the timetable. I would prefer they give a realistic return time upfront over a "day by day" for a week or more. I can repect the need for privacy, but as a fan I would like to know when to expect my favorite players to be on the field.

GIDP
05-31-2010, 04:51 PM
been some more updates from fay and sheldon. saying they think votto is back tommorow, baker saying theres a chance he's back tommorow.

i'm gonna stick with my original theory votto doesnt play at all this series. i'll gladly eat the crow if i'm wrong
Yea Sheldon is saying he hopes people dont question if every Votto injury is him gettnig depressed again. Which is funny because how awesome they did last year when covering it.

FlyerFanatic
05-31-2010, 05:02 PM
I understand why the Reds may be reluctant to share some information about some types of ailments with the public. I thought much of the talk about Votto's "depression" or "anxiety" last year was way off base. Anyone can aquire an anxiety or depressive disorder with the right set of experiences. Everyone is vunerable to them to some degree. These are not like personality disorders which are somewhat stable. Yet this latest instance shows you that the stigma surrounding any type of mental health issue is alive and well. My frustration is the timetable. I would prefer they give a realistic return time upfront over a "day by day" for a week or more. I can repect the need for privacy, but as a fan I would like to know when to expect my favorite players to be on the field.

i agree, i would just rather them say personal issues if it was the anxiety again. if i remember last year, it was inner ear infecton for the longest time. i personally dont think it is anxiety . i just think the neck is worse than just stiff.

captainmorgan07
05-31-2010, 05:11 PM
With the past history joey has had with personal issues if it was a personal issue this time around they wouldn't have run the media around for a week saying oh it's a stiff neck. Necks can be quite tricky he will be fine in few days.

Vottomatic
05-31-2010, 09:10 PM
John Fay's on his twitter:

johnfayman

Quote: Jocketty, Baker, Price were meeting after the game. My guess is you'll see a move before tomorrow's game. #Reds

Also, sounds like Votto will be in the lineup tomorrow also.

Quote:
johnfayman

Votto said he "really good" taking batting practice today. He'll likely be back tomorrow. #reds

Kingspoint
06-01-2010, 05:32 AM
John Fay's on his twitter:

johnfayman

Quote: Jocketty, Baker, Price were meeting after the game. My guess is you'll see a move before tomorrow's game. #Reds

Also, sounds like Votto will be in the lineup tomorrow also.

Quote:
johnfayman

Votto said he "really good" taking batting practice today. He'll likely be back tomorrow. #reds

Maybe they were meeting to talk about what was Baker thinking letting Fisher try to bunt there?

Seriously, though. I've said the last couple of days that it looks like Burton is ready, so I'm pretty much expecting him to take Fisher's spot. They could also be discussing Sunday's Starter, though it's likely not to change and still be LeCure.

redhat
06-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Votto just seems like the type of guy that isn't going to fight to get into the lineup unless he's 100% healthy both physically and mentally.
I post frequently at BirdsOnTheBat.org (http://www.birdsonthebat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1) where we used to have the same kind of conversations about J.D. Drew. We called him Mr. Glass. He'd miss a game because of a hangnail.

Over time I've become convinced that most guys who play when they're hurt aren't helping the team (Pujols is a major exception, as his less than 100% is usually a lot better than most healthy players). For instance, Kyle Lohse has pitched poorly for most of the season. Then we find out that he has a forearm issue that he'd been hiding from his manager and the team medical staff. How many more games could the Cards have won had they known this much earlier?

Similar issues in the past with Chris Duncan, who played hurt for so long that he permantly altered his swing for the worse.