PDA

View Full Version : Whats been the biggest surprises/disappointments on the list?

icehole3
05-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Leake of course is the biggest surprise along with Mesoraco, a little disappointed in Frazier and Miguel Rojas

Redszone's Top 40 List
Prospect #1 - Aroldis Chapman
Prospect #2 - Yonder Alonso
Prospect #3 - Mike Leake
Prospect #4 - Todd Frazier
Prospect #5 - Juan Francisco
Prospect #6 - Yorman Rodriguez
Prospect #7 - Travis Wood
Prospect #8 - Chris Heisey
Prospect #9 - Zack Cozart
Prospect #10 - Brad Boxberger
Prospect #11 - Neftali Soto
Prospect #12 - Matt Maloney
Prospect #13 - Billy Hamilton
Prospect #14 - Chris Valaika
Prospect #15 - Matt Klinker
Prospect #16 - Juan Duran
Prospect #17 - Devin Mesoraco
Prospect #18 - Danny Dorn
Prospect #19 - Juan Silva
Prospect #20 - Donnie Joseph
Prospect #21 - Josh Fellhauer
Prospect #22 - Juan Carlos Sulbaran
Prospect #23 - Miguel Rojas
Prospect #24 - Jordan Smith
Prospect #25 - Matt Fairel
Prospect #26 - Daniel Tuttle
Prospect #27 - Pedro Viola
Prospect #28 - Logan Ondrusek
Prospect #29 - Kyle Lotzkar
Prospect #30 - Enerio Del Rosario
Prospect #31 - Sam Lecure
Prospect #32 - Mark Serrano
Prospect #33 - Mariekson Gregorius
Prospect #34 - Henry Rodriguez
Prospect #35 - Tyler Cline
Prospect #36 - Philippe-Alexandre Valiquette
Prospect #37 - Junior Arias
Prospect #38 - Jeremy Horst
Prospect #39 - Mace Thurman
Prospect #40 - Humberto Valor

GIDP
05-28-2010, 08:12 AM
My top 3 surprises

1. Leake - Just because of how good he has been. I expected him to succeed but not at this level.

2. Mesoraco - He might be having the best season of any minor leaguer we have had since Bruce. His bat has been down right silly so far this season.

3. Donnie Joseph - He's dominated.

Disappointments

1. Juan Carlos Sulbaran - Guy just cant put together enough starts or a string good enough to advance a level. Hes got solid stuff.

2. Yonder - Been a weird year so far for him. Probably a lot to do with the broken bone he had last year.

3. my third one is split between Wood and Frazier. Wood has improved. Frazier has shown flashes but both basically started off very very poor.

bucksfan2
05-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Surprises
1. Leake - What else can you really say.

2. Mesoraco - Once thought by many to be non existent he has put his name at the forefront or Reds prospect discussions.

Disappointments

1. Yonder - Was thought of as a great hitter. Still yet to prove it. Still hopeful, but his start seems to be diminishing a little.

2. Frazier - Where's the offense.

3. Chapman - The only reason I list him as a disappointment is he has all but confirmed that he isn't close to being ready for the majors.

texasdave
05-28-2010, 01:02 PM
With a rotation featuring Maloney, Wood and Chapman, I wonder what the odds would have been that Sam Lecure would have been the first pitcher called up from AAA to make a start? I imagine even Lehr would have been considered ahead of Lecure in the pecking order.

flash
05-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Leake of course is the biggest surprise along with Mesoraco, a little disappointed in Frazier and Miguel Rojas

Redszone's Top 40 List
Prospect #1 - Aroldis Chapman
Prospect #2 - Yonder Alonso
Prospect #3 - Mike Leake
Prospect #4 - Todd Frazier
Prospect #5 - Juan Francisco
Prospect #6 - Yorman Rodriguez
Prospect #7 - Travis Wood
Prospect #8 - Chris Heisey
Prospect #9 - Zack Cozart
Prospect #10 - Brad Boxberger
Prospect #11 - Neftali Soto
Prospect #12 - Matt Maloney
Prospect #13 - Billy Hamilton
Prospect #14 - Chris Valaika
Prospect #15 - Matt Klinker
Prospect #16 - Juan Duran
Prospect #17 - Devin Mesoraco
Prospect #18 - Danny Dorn
Prospect #19 - Juan Silva
Prospect #20 - Donnie Joseph
Prospect #21 - Josh Fellhauer
Prospect #22 - Juan Carlos Sulbaran
Prospect #23 - Miguel Rojas
Prospect #24 - Jordan Smith
Prospect #25 - Matt Fairel
Prospect #26 - Daniel Tuttle
Prospect #27 - Pedro Viola
Prospect #28 - Logan Ondrusek
Prospect #29 - Kyle Lotzkar
Prospect #30 - Enerio Del Rosario
Prospect #31 - Sam Lecure
Prospect #32 - Mark Serrano
Prospect #33 - Mariekson Gregorius
Prospect #34 - Henry Rodriguez
Prospect #35 - Tyler Cline
Prospect #36 - Philippe-Alexandre Valiquette
Prospect #37 - Junior Arias
Prospect #38 - Jeremy Horst
Prospect #39 - Mace Thurman
Prospect #40 - Humberto Valor

I'd like to know who made up the list. Why aren't Sappelt and Henry on the list. Ehy isn't Mendoza? Why isn't Manz?

GIDP
05-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I'd like to know who made up the list. Why aren't Sappelt and Henry on the list. Ehy isn't Mendoza? Why isn't Manz?

This was Redszones voting list that we do every year.

dougdirt
05-28-2010, 03:18 PM

I'd like to know who Mendoza is and why Manz would be?

camisadelgolf
05-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I can understand wondering abotu Manz. He had excellent numbers in rookie ball. Despite that, there are still a few catchers in the organization ahead of him on the top prospect sheet.

flash
05-28-2010, 11:40 PM
I'd like to know who Mendoza is and why Manz would be?

Mendez from Lynchburg. My mistake.
But I guess Sappelt, Henry and Mendez would qualify as surprises then.

Kingspoint
05-29-2010, 06:36 AM
LeCure.

With all the hype about Wood, Chapman, Leake and Maloney deciding who would be the 5th starter for the team, it's LeCure who got the first call-up,....not Maloney, Chapman or Wood. And, he pitched well to boot in his debut.

Congratulations. Probably inspired Maloney to pitch great last night, seeing that very good pitching will get rewarded.

Vottomatic
05-29-2010, 04:53 PM
The more LeCure, Maloney, Wood and Chapman pitch well, the more likely Aaron Harang is traded for a bag of peanuts.

Homer Bailey
05-29-2010, 05:10 PM
The more LeCure, Maloney, Wood and Chapman pitch well, the more likely Aaron Harang is traded for a bag of peanuts.

Because the Reds will want a bunch of completely inexperienced pitchers for their stretch run rather than one of their two most experienced pitchers? :rolleyes:

mth123
05-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Because the Reds will want a bunch of completely inexperienced pitchers for their stretch run rather than one of their two most experienced pitchers? :rolleyes:

Agreed, need to package Harang with one of those guys and a couple minor league bats and upgrade to a big fish (hint he plays for tonight's opposition and went years dominating the Reds like no other).

dougdirt
05-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Agreed, need to package Harang with one of those guys and a couple minor league bats and upgrade to a big fish (hint he plays for tonight's opposition and went years dominating the Reds like no other).
You mean that guy we can't afford according to our owner and who won't be traded within the division? Yeah, goodluck with that one.

Homer Bailey
05-29-2010, 06:15 PM
You mean that guy we can't afford according to our owner and who won't be traded within the division? Yeah, goodluck with that one.

Thank you.

The names that get thrown around on this board in trade speculation are just ridiculous.

mth123
05-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Didn't realize that Harang's option was mutual. No way anyone takes him and they have to move him to afford anyone better than what they have.

Homer Bailey
05-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Didn't realize that Harang's option was mutual. No way anyone takes him and they have to move him to afford anyone better than what they have.

As we're discussing in the ORG, mutual means both players have to agree to it, which I just found out.

Helps Harang's trade value more than I thought.

mth123
05-29-2010, 06:29 PM
As we're discussing in the ORG, mutual means both players have to agree to it, which I just found out.

Helps Harang's trade value more than I thought.

Link? I think its either party can exercise it. If both side have to agree, then that is nothing more than a contract extension and I don't see the point of it.

Homer Bailey
05-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Link? I think its either party can exercise it. If both side have to agree, then that is nothing more than a contract extension and I don't see the point of it.

I thought so too.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/are-mutual-options-baseballs-new-fad.html

With a mutual option, both sides need to agree to continue the relationship for the option to take effect. If either side declines, then the two sides part ways, so no one has a chance to get burned. It's not uncommon to see an arrangement where the player forfeits the buyout if they're the one to decline the option.

GIDP
05-29-2010, 06:45 PM

It's not. Mutual option is where a player or a team can decline it releasing the player to free agency.

mth123
05-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Well, that's good. It means that the Reds may still be able to move Harang.

tripleaaaron
05-31-2010, 01:51 AM
Surprises:
1. Mike Leake- I expected him to be successful, but didn't expect him to be our best starter nor did I expect him to be able to control the bat so well either. He can bunt and hit and really adds something to the back of the lineup especially with Hanigan getting on base at such a high rate in front of him.
2. Sam Lecure: as other have stated how in the heck did he debut before Maloney, Wood or Chapman? He has been dominant in AAA and put up a solid debut the other night. I think that his stuff isn't going to be enough to offer consistent success at the MLB level but he has shown poise and control on the mound which could make him a serviceable back of the rotation guy.

Disappointments:
1. Todd Frazier- I thought that he would have pushed Cairo off of the roster by now and be doing what Cairo has done the past week or so.

2. JC Sulbaran- Really thought that he would take it to the next level and dominate.

camisadelgolf
05-31-2010, 02:13 AM
Todd Frazier has clearly been a disappointment so far, but I'm still confident he'll turn things around.
Brad Boxberger has surprised me. I thought he would have more control issues.
Mike Leake has surprised me. If you expected what he's done so far, I'd be tempted to ask what's wrong with you.
Jordan Smith has disappointed me. I thought a move to the bullpen would drastically improve his numbers.

Am I the only one who expected J.C. Sulbaran to play the way he has?

icehole3
05-31-2010, 05:30 AM
Sulbaran is still a baby at 21, just leave him in A ball another year IMO

kpresidente
05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
For me the only real surprise is Frazier. I thought he'd at least hold his own. If you look at guys like Dorn and Valaika, they've done it before, so it isn't really a surprise. With Alonso, there was always questions about his power. Of course Leake is a surprise but this is the minor league section.

Benihana
05-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Biggest Surprises
1. Leake - one of the best pitchers in the league and best stories of the decade
2. Mesoraco - has really surprised me so far, but the real test starts now in AA
3. Valaika - knew he could hit, but has bounced back nicely. Still not sure if he's more than a utility guy at the next level
4. LeCure - like to see his success, but also not sure if he's anything more than a long reliever in the majors- sell high candidate

Biggest Disappointments
1. Frazier - although I think he is about to turn it around
2. Alonso - all around disappointing. He should have at least tore it up in AA if not AAA
3. Wood - I kind of expected this, hopefully he'll improve as the year goes on. Should have sold high on him before the season
4. Sulbaran - also expected this. He is young so I'd give him one more year in Dayton before considering moving him to the 'pen