PDA

View Full Version : Reds PBP Announcer

will5979
05-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Who in the world hired the douchbag that did the play by play last night? Guy reminded me of the "Summer Stock" character in the Howard Stern movie. A grand slam and you'd thought it was a routine fly ball. Man I miss George Grande and Chris Welsh, I do like Thom, he's like his daddy, calls em like he sees em. But this other guy that was on there last night, wow, just wow.

jfleur87
05-29-2010, 10:32 AM
So...you didn't like him?

roby
05-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Absotively! :rolleyes:

AintlifeGrande
05-29-2010, 03:57 PM
I was listening to the radio with Marty and Jim Kelch.Kelch leave's left than to be desired.

DirtyBaker
05-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Just once I'd like to hear Kelch tell it like it is. Marty has truly spoiled us Reds fans.

Vottomatic
05-29-2010, 05:06 PM
I've actually warmed up to Kelch. I wanted Dan Hoard hired, but Kelch is growing on me.

I absolutely love listening to Cowboy. He is just fun to listen to. I also enjoy his knowledge of the game. But I'm probably in the minority.

Paul Keels is the one I haven't really warmed up to yet.

jhc2010
05-29-2010, 05:59 PM
That was the voice of the Buckeyes, Paul Keels, on TV last night.

Redeye fly
05-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I enjoy Keels doing Buckeye football games. Maybe part of it goes back to when I was working in radio and sitting in our station on Saturday afternoons running the board and listening to Ohio State win almost every week.

But he just has not impressed me in the least doing Reds games.

Krawhitham
05-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Keels is horrible as a baseball PBP guy, Kelch is doable

brachial pleXUs
05-29-2010, 11:23 PM
I've actually warmed up to Kelch. I wanted Dan Hoard hired, but Kelch is growing on me.

I absolutely love listening to Cowboy. He is just fun to listen to. I also enjoy his knowledge of the game. But I'm probably in the minority.

Paul Keels is the one I haven't really warmed up to yet.

I completely agree with you--Brantley is just entertaining, and he can break down a pitcher like nobody I've heard before.

Paul Keels is a zombie. Also, when Bruce hit his second homer of the night, did Keels say "That's his second dong of the night."?

Reds
05-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Marty is great. His son is good. Brantley is entertaining (in a good way). Everyone else can get on my nerves.

mattfeet
05-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Marty is great. His son is good. Brantley is entertaining (in a good way). Everyone else can get on my nerves.

+1 :thumbup:

jmac
05-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Keels shows no emotion at all on a good play or a homerun. In fact, I would rather hear Joe Buck than Keels and thats sayin something !

Reds
05-29-2010, 11:33 PM
+1 :thumbup:

We need Marty and Thom to take turns doing play by play and have Brantley always there to comment and notice things only pitchers would notice. Then we use that broadcast on TV and Radio.

The only guy I would feel bad for was Chris Welsh. He's paid his dues and is actually not bad. Average, but not bad.

webbbj
05-30-2010, 12:12 AM
any combination of brantley or the brennamens is fine by me.

i must say when grande and welsh did the games i just put the tv on mute and listened to the radio.

NeilHamburger
05-30-2010, 12:38 AM
How did Keels get this gig over Hoard?

BigPoppa
05-30-2010, 01:24 AM
I like Kelch. I've tried to warm up to Keels....so far, not working.

Reds
05-30-2010, 02:57 AM
Last night for some reason they're giving the credit for the highlights to both FSN Houston and FSN Ohio (mlb network) so it's possible that the broadcast, including our audio, was broadcast in Houston, meaning that at least for last nights game I can understand the subtle attitude, if you're broadcasting not as a home team announcer but for both teams. I can see no other reason to give credit to FSN Houston for our broadcast.

RedsfaninOKC
05-30-2010, 02:59 AM
Keels drives me crazy...no excitement at all...just yeah it's gone a HR and whatnot...come on man get excited! I'm not overly excited about Thom, but he sure is heck of a lot better then Keels.

Jr's Boy
05-30-2010, 03:48 AM
I'm not in Ohio,but Keels is the announcer for OSU,does he at least get excited for the Buckeyes?

1990REDS
05-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm not in Ohio,but Keels is the announcer for OSU,does he at least get excited for the Buckeyes?

I live in colombus and have never really liked him calling football games. now basketball on the other hand hes really good at and i enjoy listening to him. I think you can tell when hes announcing that basketball seems to be the one he enjoys doing the most. Or at least has the most passion about.

flyersbaseball
05-30-2010, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=Reds;2100742]Last night for some reason they're giving the credit for the highlights to both FSN Houston and FSN Ohio (mlb network) so it's possible that the broadcast, including our audio, was broadcast in Houston, meaning that at least for last nights game I can understand the subtle attitude, if you're broadcasting not as a home team announcer but for both teams. I can see no other reason to give credit to FSN Houston for our broadcast.[/QUOTE

MLB Quick Pitch usually uses the audio from the team's highlight, ex: Reds audio for Reds Highlights, etc.

Also, how can Keels get excited? He started out at Michigan;)

jmac
05-30-2010, 11:11 AM
How did Keels get this gig over Hoard?

Excellent question !

TheOnlyRedsFan
05-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Thom seems to get on my nerves anymore. I can listen to Marty and The Cowboy all day.

bubbachunk
05-30-2010, 05:55 PM
I think Kelch is solid and works well with Marty but I in no way want the cowboy doing PBP. Sure he gets excited compared to Keels but I feel as if I always have to wait a minute or two just to figure out what is going on.

jhc2010
05-30-2010, 10:47 PM
I think you can tell when hes announcing that basketball seems to be the one he enjoys doing the most. Or at least has the most passion about.I disagree. He seems genuinely passionate about the Reds.

I am also amazed at the facts/figures that he brings to the games that the other announcers can't seem to instantly recall. I'm sure some of them are prepared beforehand, but Keels will get into a seemingly random conversation about something and he will spit out a fact and Chris/Cowboy will be amazed at it.

I do agree that Keels should get a little more excited when calling Reds games for TV. He seems to believe that since the viewer can see the game, they don't need to hear every detail - even regarding big plays. He is the only guy I have seen on TV that does not read over the starting line-ups in the first inning. He just jumps around and talks about a couple of players while the line-up is on the screen.

RedsfaninOKC
05-31-2010, 02:31 PM
One guy I really like, and living in OKC I hear him a lot on Rangers games, is Josh Lewin...he's a terrific PBP announcer and really gets into it...and he is the same way when he does the San Diego Chargers radio broadcasts. If he ever is looking for another team to work for someday, I would love to see the Reds make him the PBP guy.

1990REDS
05-31-2010, 03:33 PM
I disagree. He seems genuinely passionate about the Reds.

I am also amazed at the facts/figures that he brings to the games that the other announcers can't seem to instantly recall. I'm sure some of them are prepared beforehand, but Keels will get into a seemingly random conversation about something and he will spit out a fact and Chris/Cowboy will be amazed at it.

I do agree that Keels should get a little more excited when calling Reds games for TV. He seems to believe that since the viewer can see the game, they don't need to hear every detail - even regarding big plays. He is the only guy I have seen on TV that does not read over the starting line-ups in the first inning. He just jumps around and talks about a couple of players while the line-up is on the screen.

ya hes knows all kind of crazy stats off the top of his head about OSU basketball and football as well.

captainmorgan07
05-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Keels has always been a kind of monotone announcer. I've grown to like listening to him on fall Saturday afternoon's doing Buckeye football. He'll take some getting used to with the reds but nobody can be as bad as grande. If i never have to here 6-4 yesiree 3 again in my life i will be happy.

BurgervilleBuck
05-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Keels doesn't bother me as much as Thom B does. He can be intolerable sometimes and when he's paired with Marty, I find it maddening. Keels doesn't succumb to the ESPN/FOX Sports need to over-announce.

However, after Marty, I think our top guys are the Cowboy, Welsh, and Kelch.

jhc2010
05-31-2010, 08:46 PM
If i never have to here 6-4 yesiree 3 again in my life i will be happy.You may want to only listen to the radio during weekends in September when Grande returns.