PDA

View Full Version : Transactions

redsof72
05-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Catchers moving up today. Mesoraco to Carolina. Coddington to Lynchburg. I think a catcher moved up at every level.

GOYA
05-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Denove to Louisville

GIDP
05-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Any idea what happened to the ones in AAA?

GOYA
05-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Nothing announced yet that I can see.

edit: the no-brainer would be to make Jake Long inactive again. But it may be more than that.

GIDP
05-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Miller is coming up to Cincy. Hannigan is going to the DL for a broken thumb.

muddie
05-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Miller is coming up to Cincy. Hannigan is going to the DL for a broken thumb.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

bellhead
05-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Let's hope Mesoraco continues to impress at AA and impresses for the rest of the year. It's his chance this summer.

nemesis
05-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Let's hope Mesoraco continues to impress at AA and impresses for the rest of the year. It's his chance this summer.

Agreed. Him posting around an .800 OPS for the rest of the season in Carolina would go along way in solidifying himself as a legit Top 100 prospect in baseball going into next year. It would also have him in Louisville by near this time next year.

nemesis
05-29-2010, 06:21 PM
One more thing that I find in the positive that is this move is that Soto will now get a bulk of the catching duties in High A advancing himself at the position defensively and if he can post an .725 to .800 OPS he again becomes a legit to 10 prospect in our system.

dougdirt
05-29-2010, 07:16 PM
One more thing that I find in the positive that is this move is that Soto will now get a bulk of the catching duties in High A advancing himself at the position defensively and if he can post an .725 to .800 OPS he again becomes a legit to 10 prospect in our system.

I bet Kevin Coddington gets at least 4-5 starts at C a week.

Kingspoint
05-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Mesoraco now makes the biggest Defensive step up his career. It's do-or-die as a Catcher at this level. Here they find out if he's good enough Defensively to play in the Majors, or if they want to use his bat at another position. My bet is that he learns it and earns it at this level. He should remain at Carolina through June of next season, as it takes anyone and everyone that long to learn Catching Defensively at that level (for those Catchers they're really serious about keeping at the Catching position at the Major League level).

Mesoraco is going to be taught a whole new set of tools defensively at this level.

Please don't anyone get down on him and say, "he's peeking or fading or leveling out or not as good as I thought he was, etc", when or if he has an OPS around .700 for a long time. He's hot right now and has a lot of confidence at the plate, so it's possible he starts at well, but then levels off as his concentration goes back to so many things on the Defensive end; and, he faces a better level of competition from Pitchers.

The next 12 months are the months I've been waiting for to watch. Can't wait for the reports from those near him. I'm going to have to try to get to one of the Cities he'll be at.

I'm really not interested in his Offensive stats the rest of this season and I don't care what he does Offensively.

Scrap Irony
05-30-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm really not interested in his Offensive stats the rest of this season and I don't care what he does Offensively.

Oddly, I think this is his most important offensive step. If you can't hit at AA, you won't hit in the majors, for the most part. Mesoraco obviously won't need to hit 340 like he has in High A this season, but he does need to show a positive bat.

I'd be happy with a 250/350/425 season and pretty certain Mesoraco can inded play at the major league level. Anything under that and he should still be viewed as a question mark.

dougdirt
05-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Oddly, I think this is his most important offensive step. If you can't hit at AA, you won't hit in the majors, for the most part. Mesoraco obviously won't need to hit 340 like he has in High A this season, but he does need to show a positive bat.

I'd be happy with a 250/350/425 season and pretty certain Mesoraco can inded play at the major league level. Anything under that and he should still be viewed as a question mark.

Lets not forget that Mesoraco is now a 21 year old in AA (he turns 22 at the end of next month). That is quite young for the level. If he struggles it isn't a big deal unless its a glaring struggle (like 5-1 K/BB struggle).

muddie
05-30-2010, 12:38 PM
I think it is a little bit of fortune that he will be catching Fairel, a guy he is already familiar with, in his debut here.

bellhead
05-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Lets not forget that Mesoraco is now a 21 year old in AA (he turns 22 at the end of next month). That is quite young for the level. If he struggles it isn't a big deal unless its a glaring struggle (like 5-1 K/BB struggle).

Good post, let's have patience with the guy. Here's to a solid year at AA, and then a bust out year next year that puts the question to the brass...

"When do we bring him to the show..."

Benihana
05-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Good to hear, I think the timing is good on this one. Will be interesting to see how Mez performs in Carolina. I hope Soto gets to start behind the dish at least 4 nights per week in Lynchburg now.

BTW, when did Fairel and Klinker get promoted?

dougdirt
05-30-2010, 04:18 PM
BTW, when did Fairel and Klinker get promoted?

When Lecure got the call, chain reaction up the ladder.

GOYA
05-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Jake Long from Louisville to the Billings roster.

dougdirt
05-30-2010, 06:49 PM

So he is back to coaching first base?

GOYA
05-30-2010, 07:34 PM
So he is back to coaching first base?

That's my guess. ;)

camisadelgolf
05-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't remember seeing it mentioned elsewhere, but Marcos Molina was released.

JayBruceFan
05-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Who went to Dayton to replace Coddington?

camisadelgolf
05-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Who went to Dayton to replace Coddington?
They had three catchers but are now down to two (Mark Fleury and Chase Weems).

GOYA
05-31-2010, 01:23 AM
Didn't Weems just join the team?

camisadelgolf
05-31-2010, 02:07 AM
Didn't Weems just join the team?
Yes, about a week-and-a-half ago.

JayBruceFan
05-31-2010, 07:29 PM
But somebody had to take his roster spot unless they are playing a man down

Mario-Rijo
06-01-2010, 04:10 AM
But somebody had to take his roster spot unless they are playing a man down

Which is par for the course in Redsland.

medford
06-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Any chance Jake Long is the son of Howie Long? I know he had a son that was recruited by OSU several years back in football, but went to Florida State to play baseball. I'm thinking he'd be too young to be in AAA unless he was an absolute stud, and since I haven't heard of him until now, I'm guessing not, so its probably somebody else.

edit: nevermind, I looked it up himself, and as suspected, its a different Jake Long.

icehole3
06-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Any chance Jake Long is the son of Howie Long? I know he had a son that was recruited by OSU several years back in football, but went to Florida State to play baseball. I'm thinking he'd be too young to be in AAA unless he was an absolute stud, and since I haven't heard of him until now, I'm guessing not, so its probably somebody else.

edit: nevermind, I looked it up himself, and as suspected, its a different Jake Long.

nope, Chris and Kyle Long, Kyle went FSU but dropped out because of a DUI

http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2009/01/08/kyle-long-son-of-howie-busted-for-dui-leaves-college/

GOYA
06-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Heeeee's Baaaaaack.

Long from Billings to Louisville.

camisadelgolf
06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
The Reds released the Colombian Reinaldo Albino.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=albino001rei

JayBruceFan
06-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Arizona signed OF Byron Wiley

GOYA
06-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Bill Bray was assigned to Lynchburg

Gallen5862
06-11-2010, 09:31 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=9023

Cincinnati Reds
Option transferred: LHP Bill Bray (Triple-A to Double-A to high Class A)
Placed on 7-day DL: RHP Doug Salinas
Reinstated from DL: LHP Bill Bray, 1B Chris Richburg

Bray returns from Tommy John surgery he had last May.

GOYA
06-11-2010, 12:29 PM
It was in the minor league update thread but:

Klinker moved back down to Carolina

GOYA
06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
In a move that will possibly have an effect on the Bats, Cleveland called up Carlos Santana from IL West Division leading Columbus.

redsmetz
06-14-2010, 10:03 PM
It was in the minor league update thread but:

Klinker moved back down to Carolina

I didn't see this, but Klinker took the spot of Alexander Smit who retired from baseball

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4026602

GOYA
06-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Brodie Green assigned to Lynchburg

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100618&content_id=11311696&vkey=pr_t481&fext=.jsp&sid=t481

The Cincinnati Reds have assigned Brodie Greene to Advanced-A Lynchburg. Greene will join the team in time to play in the first half-ending series against Potomac. He was drafted in the fourth round of this year's MLB First Year Player Draft out of Texas A&M University.
Greene played four years at Texas A&M, where he led all starters in average (.395), home runs (14), RBI (55), walks (24) and slugging percentage (.673) during his final season.

redsmetz
06-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Brodie Green assigned to Lynchburg

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100618&content_id=11311696&vkey=pr_t481&fext=.jsp&sid=t481

The Cincinnati Reds have assigned Brodie Greene to Advanced-A Lynchburg. Greene will join the team in time to play in the first half-ending series against Potomac. He was drafted in the fourth round of this year's MLB First Year Player Draft out of Texas A&M University.
Greene played four years at Texas A&M, where he led all starters in average (.395), home runs (14), RBI (55), walks (24) and slugging percentage (.673) during his final season.

That's starting a bit high. Have we had other guys who started at Advanced A in the past. I'm trying to recall.

GOYA
06-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Alonso?

nemesis
06-18-2010, 04:00 PM
That's starting a bit high. Have we had other guys who started at Advanced A in the past. I'm trying to recall.

Agreed. Now aren't they converting Greene to an OF? Shouldn't Garton got the call up and placed Greene in Dayton to start out. I didn't think his bat was that advanced?

fearofpopvol1
06-18-2010, 04:01 PM

Alonso did.

I'm not really understanding why he is starting higher than LaMarre? The only thing I can think of is age. He's older than LaMarre.

redsmetz
06-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Alonso?

Uh, yeah, that would be right. Oops.

lollipopcurve
06-18-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm not really understanding why he is starting higher than LaMarre? The only thing I can think of is age. He's older than LaMarre.

LaMarre missed some time this year with an injury, too.

redsmetz
06-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Agreed. Now aren't they converting Greene to an OF? Shouldn't Garton got the call up and placed Greene in Dayton to start out. I didn't think his bat was that advanced?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the placement, it just surprised me. Someone noted recently that the club seems to be moving some guys faster though, so maybe that's part of it.

dougdirt
06-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Perhaps he is starting higher than LaMarre simply because Dayton needed a guy who could play center fielder, while Lynchburg doesn't need a guy like that.

Benihana
06-18-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm still quite confused as to where Lohman is going to play, with Hamilton, Rojas, and Gregorious all occupying SS in Billings-Lynchburg.

Is Greene going to play CF?

mace
06-18-2010, 05:28 PM
And don't forget, Felix Perez has to fit in there somewhere. Although he might go to Carolina, given his age. Anytime, I'd venture.

GOYA
06-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Is Greene going to play CF?

Don't know but he's listed as a LF on the Hillcats' roster.

Benihana
06-18-2010, 05:40 PM
And don't forget, Felix Perez has to fit in there somewhere. Although he might go to Carolina, given his age. Anytime, I'd venture.

I think Perez starts at Lynchburg, where he'll be flanked by Greene and Fellhauer. Sappelt is holding down CF pretty well in Carolina at the moment.

nemesis
06-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I think Perez starts at Lynchburg, where he'll be flanked by Greene and Fellhauer. Sappelt is holding down CF pretty well in Carolina at the moment.

Sappelt should be pushed to Louisville after the All Star game. He has raked for 2 straight months at Carolina (nearly identical slashes, like freaky identical)and Chris Burke has done nothing to keep his spot at Louisville. It might shine Sappelt up as a trade piece or maybe make Heisey more available if he continues his progression. Not to mention the improved defense he brings over Burke in the OF which could help out the Louisville pitching and providing a spark at the top of the order...

Benihana
06-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Sappelt should be pushed to Louisville after the All Star game. He has raked for 2 straight months at Carolina (nearly identical slashes, like freaky identical)and Chris Burke has done nothing to keep his spot at Louisville. It might shine Sappelt up as a trade piece or maybe make Heisey more available if he continues his progression. Not to mention the improved defense he brings over Burke in the OF which could help out the Louisville pitching and providing a spark at the top of the order...

I don't think Sappelt is going anywhere. He has already been promoted once this season, and he is having two very good months at a new level, especially after putting up very pedestrian numbers for the majority of his career. Barring a major surge, I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't stay in Carolina for the rest of 2010.

Plus, Chris Burke is still an insurance policy (albeit quite a far-fetched one) for the big league team, given his major league experience. It doesn't hurt to have one of those guys in AAA (which is essentially all they currently have.)

GOYA
06-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Nothing major here but Volquez is officially on the Bats' roster now.

Boston Red
06-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Is the signing of Matthews, Jr. the end of Chris Burke?

JayBruceFan
06-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Chris Burke hitting below .220 all season should have been the end of Chris Burke

Boston Red
06-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah. I just looked, and he's actually been hot of late (way up to .238), so it would be a strange time to release him....but he's a veteran who I would be shocked to ever see make it onto the Major League roster.

redsof72
06-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Re: LaMarre and Greene. LaMarre signed before Greene and his signing was simultanious to Means breaking his finger. Dayton had no one with the range to play center field and LaMarre was sent there. Then Greene signed. He can play second, short, or outfield. Dayton really did not have a spot for him. On the other hand, Lynchburg was really short on corner outfielders. The only way he could have gone to Dayton was if he went there to play second base with Henry Rodriguez moving to third, but at that time, Frank Pfister was hitter over .290 at third.

The only full-season A players who have the range to play center are Means, LaMarre, Contreras, and Fellhauer (and Reed when he is active). There are some other guys who can play in a pinch, like Oliveras, but not everyday. I am not sure about Greene in center.

As far as Sappelt...he is hitting but Henry would likely be the first to go up. I have never been a Sappelt booster but you can't argue with what he has done this season. Still, he is likely to stay in Carolina.

redsof72
06-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Also, look for Ware to go to Lynchburg this week and Kevin Arico, the 10th round pick who led the nation in saves at Virginia, to take over as the Dayton closer.

dougdirt
06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Brad Boxberger to AA. Chase Ware to A+.

GOYA
06-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Something tells me A+ isn't high enough for Ware.

OnBaseMachine
06-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Brad Boxberger to AA. Chase Ware to A+.

Good move. Boxberger pitched well in Lynchburg. Hopefully Donnie Joseph will join him soon in Carolina.

Scrap Irony
06-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Good deal for Boxberger. When he was drafted, I thought the pick was a reach, but, so far, he's been far better as a starter than I thought he'd be. I would love to see Joseph join him, as Carolina could use the help.

HokieRed
06-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Good move. Boxberger pitched well in Lynchburg. Hopefully Donnie Joseph will join him soon in Carolina.

Like to see Nick Christiani make this move too.

nemesis
06-25-2010, 05:18 AM
As non prospect ridden as the Carolina Bullpen is, you'd think they would have been up already. Feel bad for Thurman. He might be in Cincy or at least Louisville already if he hadn't got injured.

mth123
06-25-2010, 06:19 AM
As non prospect ridden as the Carolina Bullpen is, you'd think they would have been up already. Feel bad for Thurman. He might be in Cincy or at least Louisville already if he hadn't got injured.

What's the story on Thurman? I thought he was a fast comer. Whar's the injury and prognosis?

GIDP
06-25-2010, 09:50 AM
I dont know who predicted that Boxburger would be moved up right after the All Star game but you were dead on.

I think it was OBM.

nemesis
06-25-2010, 01:47 PM
What's the story on Thurman? I thought he was a fast comer. Whar's the injury and prognosis?

I believe him and A. Gonzalez both had TJ surgery. IIRC... I felt Thurman had an outstanding chance of being pushed thought the system this year with his exception showing his first year and a half. He did get hurt early enough this year he should be ready to go this time next year if TJ surgery was the case.

mth123
06-25-2010, 06:21 PM
I believe him and A. Gonzalez both had TJ surgery. IIRC... I felt Thurman had an outstanding chance of being pushed thought the system this year with his exception showing his first year and a half. He did get hurt early enough this year he should be ready to go this time next year if TJ surgery was the case.

Thanks. I must've missed that.

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2010, 07:09 PM
From Jamie Ramsey:

Minor League news today, Chris Burke was released by the organization.

http://twitter.com/Jamieblog

camisadelgolf
06-26-2010, 07:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned, bringing in Gary Matthews, Jr. to replace Chris Burke is a minor organizational upgrade. I wasn't a fan of the signing--I don't know any respectable Reds fan who is--but at least he's replacing the right guy.

GIDP
06-26-2010, 07:49 PM
As far as I'm concerned, bringing in Gary Matthews, Jr. to replace Chris Burke is a minor organizational upgrade. I wasn't a fan of the signing--I don't know any respectable Reds fan who is--but at least he's replacing the right guy.
As of now he is ... :P

AWA85
06-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Bray up and LeCure sent down.

Wonder who will get the next spot in the rotation. Wood?

_Sir_Charles_
06-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Bray up and LeCure sent down.

Wonder who will get the next spot in the rotation. Wood?

It could get skipped and then Edinson comes up. At first I was thinking Maloney, but now that I've seen Wood's numbers recently...yeah, if it's a AAA arm it should be Travis.

muddie
06-27-2010, 12:13 PM
LHP Daryl Harang has been given his release. Harang, 27, was 1-2 with a 7.36 ERA over 14 games this season with the Mudcats. Harang opened the season with the Mudcats, and was sent to High-A Lynchburg at the end of April before returning to the Mudcats in late May. Harang's last appearance was a scoreless inning on June 20th against Mississippi, and had not appeared in the current series against the Smokies.

nemesis
06-27-2010, 01:20 PM
It's good to see the Reds making moves like this, Bray Up ~ Little Harang Released. The Bray move is going to pay immediate dividends, the Harang move will as soon as they move Joseph up...

Now I am excited to see if the Reds call up Wood or recall Maloney...

dougdirt
06-27-2010, 01:25 PM
It's good to see the Reds making moves like this, Bray Up ~ Little Harang Released. The Bray move is going to pay immediate dividends, the Harang move will as soon as they move Joseph up...

Now I am excited to see if the Reds call up Wood or recall Maloney...

Or even Christiani who has also been flat out dominant.

RED VAN HOT
06-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Or even Christiani who has also been flat out dominant.

BA describe Christiani as having good stuff including low 90's fast ball, yet getting hit hard in college. Call me old fashioned, but I look for velocity in a young RHP. Is there a report on how he is throwing this year?

nemesis
06-27-2010, 01:32 PM
but I look for velocity in a young RHP.

He's Left Handed.

OnBaseMachine
06-27-2010, 01:47 PM
He's Left Handed.

Christiani is right handed.

RED VAN HOT
06-27-2010, 01:48 PM
He's Left Handed.

I haven't actually seen him pitch. I was going by the Lynchburg player summary:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t481&t=p_pbp&pid=543023

as well as the BA 2009 draft database, both which show him throwing righty.

nemesis
06-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Christiani is right handed.

He is. I was thinking of Mike Minor. My bad...

Boston Red
06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
From Jamie Ramsey:

Minor League news today, Chris Burke was released by the organization.

http://twitter.com/Jamieblog

Too bad. I was hoping it would work out for him. He had actually been playing very well in the last ten games (.944 OPS), but it was too little too late.

OesterPoster
06-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Don't recall seeing this one:

coreybrinn
Infielder Cristobal Rodriguez has been promoted to Dayton from the Arizona League Reds...He will wear #3 tonight at Fifth Third Field

LincolnparkRed
06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Too bad. I was hoping it would work out for him. He had actually been playing very well in the last ten games (.944 OPS), but it was too little too late.

maybe he can catch on with someone else. Lots of teams could use another bat. Nice to think that the Reds for once don't

Boston Red
06-28-2010, 08:13 PM
maybe he can catch on with someone else. Lots of teams could use another bat. Nice to think that the Reds for once don't

Burke is from Louisville, so I'm guessing this was his last hurrah. Based on some of the interviews I heard with him this spring and the fact that his dad was a high school and college coach, I'm pretty sure you'll see him in a coaching position somewhere soon.

batsfan
06-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Burke will retire if he does not land with a team where he has a reasonable chance to make the major league team, according to the Courier-Journal: http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100627/SPORTS07/6270362/1036/St.+Xavier+grad+Chris+Burke+considers+retirement+a fter+Bats+cut+him

GOYA
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Carlos Mendez from Carolina to Lynchburg

Kevyn Feiner from Lynchburg to Dayton

redsof72
07-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Those last moves come as a result of Jake Kahaulelio being activated. Cristobal Rodriguez also to Billings.

redsmetz
07-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Carlos Mendez from Carolina to Lynchburg

Kevyn Feiner from Lynchburg to Dayton

Is he Laynce & Jayson Nix's cousin?

Doc. Scott
07-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Christiani was a NDFA as best I can remember. He's come out of nowhere- he and Chase Ware both.

dougdirt
07-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Christiani was a NDFA as best I can remember. He's come out of nowhere- he and Chase Ware both.

Christiani was a 13th rounder last year. Senior out of Vandy.

Doc. Scott
07-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Christiani was a 13th rounder last year. Senior out of Vandy.

Ah right. He signed late (or something, didn't pitch in 09) so I had him confused with the NDFA crowd.

camisadelgolf
07-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Some other NDFAs from this year and last:
RP Joel Ernst
OF Jeff Taylor
RP Josh Smith

OF Cameron Satterwhite
RP Chase Ware
IF John Dao
RP Ryan Smith