PDA

View Full Version : Just got a droid. What are the best apps?

Yachtzee
05-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I just got a motorola droid (this is my first post using my phone). Any experienced droid owners have tips or good apps for me? Thanks.

Cyclone792
05-30-2010, 11:15 AM
The ones I use the most:

FreeCaddie - if you play golf
Live Scores - decent gamecast tracker
Mileage - gas mileage tracker
Pandora - music player
Stocks - stock quote listings
The Weather Channel - self explanatory

Those are all free apps.

I haven't purchased MLB At Bat since I've been content with using the Live Scores app to track Reds games when I'm not around to watch/listen, but if a pennant race ensues this summer then I'll probably purchase it.

dougdirt
05-30-2010, 02:49 PM
I use PureRSS to stay on top of all things internet. Shazam listens to songs and tells you the name and artist for those times you really wish you know that song. ShopSavvy lets you scan a barcode of a product and finds prices both locally and online for you.

I also use a different music program than the one that comes on the phone, but its just a personal preference. I second cyclone on Pandora though. It makes driving so much better.

Degenerate39
05-30-2010, 02:59 PM
I just got a motorola droid

These aren't the droids your looking for.

Donder
05-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Most that I was going to mention have already been listed (Pandora, ShopSaavy, Shazam). But I'll add Google Earth and I prefer Handcent to the stock texting tool.

The only app I've bought is MLB At Bat. I'd strongly recommend it.

paintmered
05-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Check out http://www.androinica.com. It's the best blog I've found so far for app recommendations. The nice thing about Android is that there are so many useful free apps out there, you can test drive them without obligation.

Johnny Footstool
05-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Most that I was going to mention have already been listed (Pandora, ShopSaavy, Shazam).

These are must-haves.

Sean_CaseyRules
05-31-2010, 02:42 AM
EasyTether Lite lets you connect your phone to a laptop and use the phone's internet as its internet. You can also use this on you're Xbox 360 or PS3!

dougdirt
05-31-2010, 12:10 PM
EasyTether Lite lets you connect your phone to a laptop and use the phone's internet as its internet. You can also use this on you're Xbox 360 or PS3!

I was always under the impression that it was frowned upon to do this, so I always avoided it. Anyone know for sure, because I would love to be able to go work from the park some days but never have been able to because of the lack of internet.

Sean_CaseyRules
05-31-2010, 04:02 PM
I was always under the impression that it was frowned upon to do this, so I always avoided it. Anyone know for sure, because I would love to be able to go work from the park some days but never have been able to because of the lack of internet.

I was looking through the app, and all the descriptions and everything for it act like using it for a computer was fine, nothing in there was against it. As long as you have unlimited data, I don't see the problem.

Reds4Life
05-31-2010, 04:29 PM
I was looking through the app, and all the descriptions and everything for it act like using it for a computer was fine, nothing in there was against it. As long as you have unlimited data, I don't see the problem.

Unlimited data isn't "unlimited". It's capped at 2GB, if you go over get ready to pay....a lot.

dougdirt
06-01-2010, 02:12 AM
Unlimited data isn't "unlimited". It's capped at 2GB, if you go over get ready to pay....a lot.

I have read that its actually 5GB with Verizon, but yeah.... the 'unlimited' isn't actually unlimited. Which to me, feels like someone should be getting sued.

dougdirt
06-01-2010, 02:13 AM
The app isn't going to tell you its against the policy. From everything I have read online though, its against the terms of service to currently tether your phone.

paintmered
06-01-2010, 09:20 AM
I have read that its actually 5GB with Verizon, but yeah.... the 'unlimited' isn't actually unlimited. Which to me, feels like someone should be getting sued.

I've read both 5GB and that it really is unlimited. The policy seems to change so frequently, it's hard to know for sure.

SeeinRed
06-01-2010, 09:28 AM
The app isn't going to tell you its against the policy. From everything I have read online though, its against the terms of service to currently tether your phone.

Some providers require you to pay for tethering. There are ways around it, but it is frowned upon by most providers. At&t used to be about the only one who included tethering in their data plan, but even they have started to charge for it.

The problem for those providers who do charge for it, there really isn't a way to tell if the user has been tethering. It used to be that they could tell if there was a spike in data usage, but phones now have pretty beefy browsing and downloading abilities so it is near impossible to tell. Still, you are breaking the terms of service agreement.

Roy Tucker
06-01-2010, 02:36 PM
This looks totally amazing to me...

http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles

Donder
06-01-2010, 06:43 PM
This looks totally amazing to me...

http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles

I have this app and I agree that it is amazing. But I seldom use it because I haven't found much practical use for it. It's more of a show-off item for me.

bucksfan2
06-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I have this app and I agree that it is amazing. But I seldom use it because I haven't found much practical use for it. It's more of a show-off item for me.

What does that app do?

Razor Shines
06-02-2010, 12:11 PM
What does that app do?

Searches the web by picture. Take a picture of something and google will search for that picture.

wolfboy
06-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Searches the web by picture. Take a picture of something and google will search for that picture.

Yup. On my test run with it, I snapped a photo of a Miller Lite and goggles figured out it was a Miller Lite. More for amusement than anything, but it's still pretty cool.

Yachtzee, do you have MLB at bat?

Yachtzee
06-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Yup. On my test run with it, I snapped a photo of a Miller Lite and goggles figured out it was a Miller Lite. More for amusement than anything, but it's still pretty cool.

Yachtzee, do you have MLB at bat?

Not yet. It looks cool but I need to wait before I drop $15 on an app.

jimbo
06-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Not yet. It looks cool but I need to wait before I drop $15 on an app.

I got it free with a recent software update. I'll have to agree with what was already mentioned though, just can't find a practical use for it, even though it is pretty cool.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you were talking about MLB at bat, not Google Goggles.

Yachtzee
06-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Anyone with Verizon have the VCast Video package? I was thinking of signing up for it just for 1 month to follow the World Cup, but I hear it might only be broadcast in Spanish.

1990REDS
06-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know if their are any ESPN radio apps for the Droid? Or anyway to listen to ESPN radio on your Droid?

dougdirt
06-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know if their are any ESPN radio apps for the Droid? Or anyway to listen to ESPN radio on your Droid?

It is crazy to think about it, but ESPN doesn't have one app yet for the Droid platform. How does a company so large miss such a giant portion of users?

There used to be a way to do it. Google ESPN Radio no Droid. You can read some stuff and see if it still works.

bucksfan2
06-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I have the Calvin and Hobbes app. Its a new comic every day.

Unfortunately the battery life is awful when you are using apps.

They have a couple good apps that sync up to TD Ameritrade.

jimbo
06-17-2010, 03:54 PM
I just downloaded an app called Congress. It keeps you updated on new laws and bills that have passed or have just been introduced. Also shows you how each house and senate member voted on resolutions, and who your representative and senators are along with their contact information.

Good way of keeping up on what your congressmen, or women, are doing.

DirtyBaker
06-17-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't know which are available on Droid, but these are my recommendations for iPhones:
ESPN Scorecenter - Free
NY Times - Free
Planets - Free
5-0 Radio - Free
justin.tv - free
Stitcher - free
ShoutCAST - free

ESPN Radio - $3
Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars - $10
Final Fantasy - $8
MLB At-Bat - $15

There are also ways around paying for applications.

dougdirt
07-03-2010, 05:06 PM
IMDB just got an app for the Android phones. I would add that to the must have apps.

1990REDS
07-07-2010, 06:02 PM
ESPN radio is now available for the droid. Its about time!!!

dougdirt
07-07-2010, 06:39 PM
ESPN radio is now available for the droid. Its about time!!!

You just made my day. :thumbup:

cincyinco
07-08-2010, 08:28 AM
You must figure out how to root... become a superuser.. I'm still working on getting my Droid inc to root.

As for apps, Google Voice, App killer, astro, ebuddy, mixzing, a online radio, ringdroid, opera, pandora, Facebook, and gmail.

Tommyjohn25
07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Sound Grenade, and drive your friends and loved ones crazy. :)

1990REDS
07-08-2010, 05:49 PM
You just made my day. :thumbup:

just downloaded it this morning for $4.99. Great app and it sounds great, i strongly recommend.

Joseph
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Has anyone made a joke about these not being the droids you are looking for?

Ok, I just did.

dougdirt
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Ok, I just did.
That went completely over my head :confused:

Joseph
07-08-2010, 07:12 PM
That went completely over my head :confused:

YouTube - these aren't the droids you're looking for (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjaUoR15dU)

Yachtzee
07-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Ok, I just did.

I want that as my ringtone. ;)

Razor Shines
07-09-2010, 01:35 AM

Ok, I just did.

There is a billboard here in Austin that says "These ARE the droids you're looking for."

KOBasinger
07-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Animal Sounds is pretty sweet haha

Boss-Hog
07-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Anyone else have a Droid X yet? I ordered one a few days ago and Verizon said it'd ship no later than 7/27, so I've found this thread helpful while I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm upgrading from an old Blackberry Curve, so it should be quite the step up. :)

KOBasinger
07-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Anyone else have a Droid X yet? I ordered one a few days ago and Verizon said it'd ship no later than 7/27, so I've found this thread helpful while I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm upgrading from an old Blackberry Curve, so it should be quite the step up. :)

Lucky. I don't get another upgrade for a year and a half because the Droid I bought in February.

Boss-Hog
07-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Lucky. I don't get another upgrade for a year and a half because the Droid I bought in February.
I actually wasn't due for an upgrade via the "New Every 2" until February 2011, but once I figured out that all waiting until then would save me is $30, I decided to go for the early upgrade. You may have to pay a $20 early upgrade fee, but I got them to waive that and the $100 mail-in rebate so that all I paid was the price for the phone with a new two year agreement ($200) + tax.

KOBasinger
07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
I actually wasn't due for an upgrade via the "New Every 2" until February 2011, but once I figured out that all waiting until then would save me is $30, I decided to go for the early upgrade. You may have to pay a $20 early upgrade fee, but I got them to waive that and the $100 mail-in rebate so that all I paid was the price for the phone with a new two year agreement ($200) + tax.

Good deal then. I may have to wait though because the plan is still under my mom's name and Verizon tried to charge me 300 bucks to change the name over.

Kingspoint
07-22-2010, 10:43 PM
From the title of this thread, I thought you were looking for alternates to "Preparation H".

jimbo
07-22-2010, 11:59 PM
From the title of this thread, I thought you were looking for alternates to "Preparation H".

:laugh:

dougdirt
07-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Just found a cool app for anyone who follows the minor league guys. The Pioneer League has an app for Droid. Not sure if its the leagues official app or not, but I found out about it through the Billings Gazette. Each team has local newspaper stories, articles, pictures and schedules. Its free. Just search the Market for Pioneer Baseball.

dougdirt
07-27-2010, 03:28 PM
The Maps app has been updated to include the 'places' app. It seems like a great idea, but its not showing up on my phone. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Edit: After about an hour, it finally showed up in my 'apps'. Very cool add on to Google Maps.

dougdirt
08-04-2010, 05:29 AM
My friend just got an android based phone and is looking for a good app for stocks. Anyone have any suggestions before we start just installing them and testing them.

TRF
08-06-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm getting the Samsung Captivate, part of the Galaxy S series of android phones. It's the first Android 2.1 phone for AT&T.

can't wait to get it.

paintmered
08-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Froyo is dropping for the Droids next week. :)

cincyinco
08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Froyo is dropping for the Droids next week. :)

With any luck I will get it today for my Incredible. Crossing my fingers as my gf got it a few days ago for her evo.

cincyinco
08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Also, has anyone been successful at or even tried rooting their Android phone?

Boss-Hog
08-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Also, has anyone been successful at or even tried rooting their Android phone?
Haven't tried, but at least for the Droid X, it's supposedly now possible with literally a few clicks.

Reds4Life
08-06-2010, 08:29 PM
If anyone has the Droid X, how is the battery life?

I currently have a blackberry, but the new berries aren't really much different than the old ones. A track pad and more memory, yippie, pretty much the same OS and horrible web browsing. I looked at the HTC Incredible as well, but almost all reports say the battery life is terrible.

Boss-Hog
08-06-2010, 10:20 PM
If anyone has the Droid X, how is the battery life?

I currently have a blackberry, but the new berries aren't really much different than the old ones. A track pad and more memory, yippie, pretty much the same OS and horrible web browsing. I looked at the HTC Incredible as well, but almost all reports say the battery life is terrible.
I'm still in the process of tweaking settings to try to get better battery life because mine hasn't been that great. Almost all the reviews say it's top notch for a smartphone, so either 1). I have a defective battery or 2). my expectations are a bit too high. Upgrading from a BB Curve myself, I would highly recommend the phone, though.

Reds4Life
08-07-2010, 10:06 AM
:(
I'm still in the process of tweaking settings to try to get better battery life because mine hasn't been that great. Almost all the reviews say it's top notch for a smartphone, so either 1). I have a defective battery or 2). my expectations are a bit too high. Upgrading from a BB Curve myself, I would highly recommend the phone, though.

How long are you getting out of it, Boss? That is the 1 thing I do like about my Blackberry that is going to be hard to give up, I can use this thing all day with heavy use and still have 40% battery left. I don't really want to tote a charger around with me everyday if I don't have to.

Boss-Hog
08-08-2010, 12:36 AM
:(

How long are you getting out of it, Boss? That is the 1 thing I do like about my Blackberry that is going to be hard to give up, I can use this thing all day with heavy use and still have 40% battery left. I don't really want to tote a charger around with me everyday if I don't have to.
Understandable - I wouldn't be too influenced by my experience because I'm fairly certain I have a defective battery or, less likely, phone (both are covered by warranty for a year). Verizon's response has been to update it, make sure it can hold a charge and to heavily push Advanced Task Killer. If you do any amount of reading on how the Android OS works, you'll find that not only are tasks killers redundant, but there are many that believe they use more battery power killing tasks that the OS would automatically close anyway. They have agreed to replace one or the other if using ATK does not completely solve the problem.

Anyway, as a result of this problem, prior to installing ATK, I am literally only getting half a day with medium to high usage. Like I said, though, based on everything I've read, that is not at all typical of this phone, which is why I believe something's not right. In spite of this rather large problem, I would still heavily recommend the phone because I find it hard to believe that this is typical...let me know if you have any other questions about it and I'll keep you updated on whether or not ATK solves the issue.

Razor Shines
08-08-2010, 01:49 AM
Now that the Evo has flash 10.1 I logged into my mlb.tv account today and watched the Reds and Cubs from my phone in 4G. It was pretty decent.

dougdirt
08-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Now that the Evo has flash 10.1 I logged into my mlb.tv account today and watched the Reds and Cubs from my phone in 4G. It was pretty decent.

I am jealous.

Razor Shines
08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I am jealous.

Yeah, 4G is pretty cool. Don't have to worry about finding a wifi hotspot.

Yachtzee
08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Looks like my motorola droid update to froyo today. It definitely seems to have a performance boost.

Reds4Life
08-16-2010, 07:00 PM
I ordered a Droid X today, finally dumping Blackberry. Berry's are great for email, but below average in everything else these days.

Tommyjohn25
08-17-2010, 10:31 AM
So what is froyo?

paintmered
08-17-2010, 06:41 PM
So what is froyo?

The codename for Android 2.2. Google names their Android releases after desserts. 2.1 was Éclair.

Boss-Hog
08-17-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm looking forward to getting Froyo on my Droid X. We still don't have it as of yet but I imagine it should be soon.

wolfboy
08-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Just got my Froyo update last night. So far, so good.

jimbo
08-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Still waiting for the update on my Droid.

jimbo
08-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Still waiting for the update on my Droid.

15 minutes after posting this, I turn on my phone and there it is.

RFS62
08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Waiting on mine too.

How do you know it's updated? Does it look different?

Yachtzee
08-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Waiting on mine too.

Yes. You'll see a bar at the bottom of the home screen with links to the phone, apps, and browser. If you look in settings in the "about" section, you'll see Android v. 2.2.

jimbo
08-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Waiting on mine too.

You'll get a message saying there is an update for your phone, and then gives you an option of installing now or later.

dougdirt
08-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Just downloaded and starting using an app called "Sportypal" and it is like a cardio trainer that you can use for walking, running or riding a bike that uses your GPS to track your time/distance/route. It is very awesome. Here is a link to my first ride using the app and you can see the kind of data it supplies.
http://sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/585620?key=d27ed9832a55776d551ad5b73887825175390a2 f&ms=1

Razor Shines
08-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Just downloaded and starting using an app called "Sportypal" and it is like a cardio trainer that you can use for walking, running or riding a bike that uses your GPS to track your time/distance/route. It is very awesome. Here is a link to my first ride using the app and you can see the kind of data it supplies.
http://sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/585620?key=d27ed9832a55776d551ad5b73887825175390a2 f&ms=1

That's very cool, I'm going to give it a try.

KOBasinger
08-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Only problem I have with the Froyo update is my icons on my homescreen not appearing for like 2 seconds after I slide my keyboard back in. Not a big deal though.

I deleted some apps that I hardly use and it made the phone a little faster. I might just have too much music/pictures/apps on it.

wolfboy
08-26-2010, 06:26 PM

Nice one. Thanks for the heads up Doug!

Boss-Hog
08-26-2010, 06:28 PM
I'd like to add that I purchased the extended battery (for $25 after corporate discount and online-only promotion) and that's made a noticeable difference for my Droid X. No complaints about the phone from me.

Reds4Life
08-26-2010, 06:50 PM
I'd like to add that I purchased the extended battery (for $25 after corporate discount and online-only promotion) and that's made a noticeable difference for my Droid X. No complaints about the phone from me.

I got my Droid X yesterday, and also picked up the extended battery. I turned it on at 6am this morning, and used it quite a bit during the day, and I'm still at 60%.

Oh, and Verizon gets a big :thumbup: from me. I ordered online (I was porting from Cincinnati Bell) and all I had to do when I placed my order was give them the phone number I was porting, my carrier and account number. When the phone showed up, all I had to do was dial a special code, and boom, done. Took all of 10 seconds, and no hassles. My phone now actually works in conference rooms at work, Cincinnati Bell didn't.

SeeinRed
08-26-2010, 06:57 PM
For those interested in a good game to play on Android, try Homerun Battle. There is a free version which I tried then immediately bought the paid version. Very fun and addicting game and you can play other people from around the world. Its an absolute blast.

Boss-Hog
08-26-2010, 07:38 PM
For those interested in a good game to play on Android, try Homerun Battle. There is a free version which I tried then immediately bought the paid version. Very fun and addicting game and you can play other people from around the world. Its an absolute blast.
Thanks for the tip. "Robo Defense" has been occupying most of my Android game playing time. :)

SeeinRed
08-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the tip. "Robo Defense" has been occupying most of my Android game playing time. :)

Hope you find it as entertaining as I did. I had a stretch where I played Robo Defense quite a bit. Great game. Let me know if you like Homerun battle. If anyone on here is interested, we should post usernames so we can play each other. I think you can do that on the paid version.

NatiRedGals
08-26-2010, 09:29 PM
I had a Droid X was defective until they get more in I am using a Droid 2. Is not much I do not like about it except sometimes I can not scroll my texts. Miss my X Loved it :( I was using Iphone 3g but AT&T service decided to shut down and become no longer available at my house soon as i drive down the street it would come back but whats that you work 3 years then just disappear ?

RFS62
08-27-2010, 12:00 AM

I snagged the extended battery too. I was told it would double the battery life. Seems like it did a lot more than that.

Great phone so far.

gilpdawg
08-28-2010, 01:34 AM
That's very cool, I'm going to give it a try.
Going to grab that one myself. Thanks for the head up guys.

dougdirt
08-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Going to grab that one myself. Thanks for the head up guys.

Glad I could help a few of you out. I am really enjoying the app so far. Now I need to get a real bike for using it. I am still riding around on my 20" BMX bike, but that thing is about to be quarantined to skateparks only. Puting 5-10 miles in on that thing is a lot tougher than it should be lol. One gear doesn't really help you get much faster than 25 and kills you getting up hills.

Yachtzee
08-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I had a Droid X was defective until they get more in I am using a Droid 2. Is not much I do not like about it except sometimes I can not scroll my texts. Miss my X Loved it :( I was using Iphone 3g but AT&T service decided to shut down and become no longer available at my house soon as i drive down the street it would come back but whats that you work 3 years then just disappear ?

An attorney I know had that happen. As soon as the Iphone 4G came out, his 3G service got really bad. He got a droid 2.

Boss-Hog
08-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Hope you find it as entertaining as I did. I had a stretch where I played Robo Defense quite a bit. Great game. Let me know if you like Homerun battle. If anyone on here is interested, we should post usernames so we can play each other. I think you can do that on the paid version.
Been playing it whenever I've had some free time this weekend - lots of fun. Thanks for the recommendation.

paintmered
08-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Supposedly, the Motorola extended battery for the Droid 2 is also compatible (although the VW website says it's not) with the original Droid. My OEM battery is nearly shot, so I'm going to pick up a new battery in the next day or so.

paintmered
08-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm using the new battery. So don't let Verizon tell you that the Droid 2 battery doesn't work with the Droid. I saved 20% on it too. :thumbup:

TRF
01-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Just got a Dell Streak, used the DJ Steve update to 2.2. Having trouble rooting it though.

but I really love this phone. looking forward to a lot of the apps in this thread.

Just rooted my streak with superoneclick. does most android phones. If you are on AT&T, you can only get apps from the android market as they disable getting apps from unknown sources. superoneclick can turn that back on. It runs on your pc. connect your phone and turn USB debugging on. one click and you are rooted. I recommend ad free android (requires root), advanced task killer and lookout mobile security as must have apps.

I love my Streak!!!

paintmered
01-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Don't run Advanced Task Killer with Android 2.2.

Boss-Hog
01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Seconded...I've always heard that anti-virus software on your smartphone is unnecessary, as well.

1990REDS
02-01-2011, 08:50 AM
For any of you that are into podcasts, I just downloaded the stitcher app for my droid. It was free and has just about any podcast that you will need on it. I highly recomend if podcast are your thing.

TRF
02-01-2011, 11:11 AM

why? the antivirus stuff aside, why not be able to kill apps with one click?

paintmered
02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
why? the antivirus stuff aside, why not be able to kill apps with one click?

http://androidspin.com/2010/05/25/why-you-dont-need-a-task-killer-app-with-android/

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

TRF
02-01-2011, 11:18 AM
good to know. my daughter's phone runs 1.6, and we have noticed there is a difference in the speed of her phone after running it, but the xPeria runs an old OS.

Homer Bailey
02-01-2011, 07:18 PM
TRF (or someone)... can you explain rooting to me? I've seen it on various Android forums, but I'm still pretty clueless. What are the benefits? How is it done?

Thanks.

RFS62
02-01-2011, 07:30 PM

why?

Homer Bailey
02-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Wow that's sick. Will this work on the Droid incredible on Verizon? I have flash 10.1.

TRF
02-02-2011, 12:00 AM
TRF (or someone)... can you explain rooting to me? I've seen it on various Android forums, but I'm still pretty clueless. What are the benefits? How is it done?

Thanks.

Rooting gives you full access to your phone. Added benefits include removing apps carriers place on the phone. Sometimes it increases the speed too. Makes it easier to load a custom rom too.

Homer Bailey
02-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Rooting gives you full access to your phone. Added benefits include removing apps carriers place on the phone. Sometimes it increases the speed too. Makes it easier to load a custom rom too.

Hm. How do you go about rooting? Is it pretty complicated? I feel like I'm pretty good with technology, but these phones can do so much, sometimes I feel like I get about 1% of the use out of this phone that I could.

gilpdawg
02-02-2011, 04:05 AM
Hm. How do you go about rooting? Is it pretty complicated? I feel like I'm pretty good with technology, but these phones can do so much, sometimes I feel like I get about 1% of the use out of this phone that I could.
1-go to xda-developers.com
2-find the proper forum for your phone
3-Read everything.
4-Then Read it again. Especially if you're going to be installing custom ROM's.
5-Then you'll be ready to rock. The process can be extremely hard or extremely easy, depending on your phone.

It's worth it. I have an HTC Aria, which hasn't been updated to Froyo yet officially, but I'm running Gingerbread with CyanogenMod 7, which is still in nightlies, but quite stable for a nightly.

TRF
02-02-2011, 10:21 AM
1-go to xda-developers.com
2-find the proper forum for your phone
3-Read everything.
4-Then Read it again. Especially if you're going to be installing custom ROM's.
5-Then you'll be ready to rock. The process can be extremely hard or extremely easy, depending on your phone.

It's worth it. I have an HTC Aria, which hasn't been updated to Froyo yet officially, but I'm running Gingerbread with CyanogenMod 7, which is still in nightlies, but quite stable for a nightly.

I've read that cyanogen will allow you to connect to a mouse via bluetooth.

I rooted my dell streak, upgraded to 2.2, it's still running 1.6 here in the U.S. Then i updated to Dells latest 2.2 rom instead of the highly recommended dj_steve build. chickened out at the last minute.

TRF
02-02-2011, 06:14 PM
un-chickened out. I just installed DJ_Steve's custom rom. waiting for my streak to boot. should take about 5-7 minutes.

fingers crossed.

TRF
02-02-2011, 06:28 PM
:beerme:

SUCCESS!!!

SunDeck
02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Just started using google tracks today. Could not upload the data from today's hike with the kids to my maps from the droid, but was able to create the map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=215887458560344068335.00049ba45b4eea971c0db&z=15) when I got home by uploading the file.
Anybody used it? I'd like to figure out why I couldn't upload via the droid.

Homer Bailey
02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I just downloaded "Sleep-as-an-droid", a device that basically tracks your sleeping pattern. I believe with the paid version you get a lot more features, such as sounds you can have play through the night, alarms that sync with your sleeping patterns so it doesn't wake you from a deep, deep slumber, etc. I'd suggest checking out the free version at least.

David Cubbedge
02-08-2011, 12:37 AM
My must haves:

Slingplayer: I purchased a slingbox from Best Buy and this app works with it. It allows me to watch live, dvr, on demand from my cable at home. If I am in NY, and my daughter is at home in Tennessee watching Mickey Mouse, I can change the channel on her. In other words. Whatever tv you have your slingbox set to, you can watch, change channels, set and watch recordings for dvr, or watch on demand right on your phone. Ridiculous!

MLB At Bat: Still want to be able to watch tje games live with this. But the slingplayer allows me to do that luckily.

MP3 Music Downloads: You can download (very quickly) your own library of songs pretty much making an ipod.obsolete. Download or just listen to almost any song out there with this free app!

Kindle: Free app! Works exactly like a Kindle book reader. Just smaller as it is on your phone screen. I have read several books already using this though. You purchase the books off of amazon within the app. Then the books get uploaded directly to your app. Amazing!

YouTube
Justin.tv
Pandora: Best way for me to just.listen to songs I may have not heard before.
Facebook
Stitcher: Best podcast app so far.
Angry Birds: addictive game
Unblock Me: addictive game
Tango: call someone who also has this app and.have a live video conversation with them.
Tikl: Works like a walkie talkie with any one from your contacts list who also has the app.
Movies: Watch trailers, rate movies, get showtimes, see what's coming on DVD, read reviews.
Twitter: love the widget.
Aquarium Live Wallpaper
Voice Search: Instead of typing in what you want to look up on the internet, just click on the voice search and speak!

gilpdawg
02-08-2011, 05:10 AM
Aargh. I was putting my coat on to leave work the other night and my phone fell out of my pocket. You know what's next. Yep. Cracked screen. Crap. Still works though. Still feeling out my options as far as repair/sell on ebay and buy another phone/just wait a year until upgrade time. I really want to keep using an Aria as it seems to be the only ATT phone that runs Cyanogen, which I'm pretty much in love with as a ROM.

TRF
02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
The Aria has such a tiny screen though. loving my streak rocking Streakdroid 1.6.1 super fast. Anyone using quadrant for benchmark testing the speed of their droid?

WVRed
02-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Aargh. I was putting my coat on to leave work the other night and my phone fell out of my pocket. You know what's next. Yep. Cracked screen. Crap. Still works though. Still feeling out my options as far as repair/sell on ebay and buy another phone/just wait a year until upgrade time. I really want to keep using an Aria as it seems to be the only ATT phone that runs Cyanogen, which I'm pretty much in love with as a ROM.

One of the guys I work with had an Aria and dropped his. He ordered the stuff in to repair it himself and was able to fix the digitizer and pretty much had it looking like new, except it still wouldn't power on. He sent it back to AT&T and they shipped him a replacement.

You might check into that. Order the parts to repair the screen and send it back saying its defective rather than send it back with a cracked screen and have to pay for a replacement phone. It's not cheap.

paintmered
02-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I just downloaded "Sleep-as-an-droid", a device that basically tracks your sleeping pattern. I believe with the paid version you get a lot more features, such as sounds you can have play through the night, alarms that sync with your sleeping patterns so it doesn't wake you from a deep, deep slumber, etc. I'd suggest checking out the free version at least.

I downloaded this and tried it last night. It produces all kinds of information although I'm not sure what the significance of any of it is. I also don't know the underlying principles between the sound I make and what phase of sleep I'm in. Perhaps breathing patterns change in REM?

If nothing else, the alarm is not as jarring as the stock alarm.

HeatherC1212
02-08-2011, 09:51 PM
This may only be of interest to me but there was an Angry Birds update over the weekend and now there are three more worlds to conquer. Woot! Procrastination rules again! LOL :laugh: :lol:

gilpdawg
02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
The Aria has such a tiny screen though. loving my streak rocking Streakdroid 1.6.1 super fast. Anyone using quadrant for benchmark testing the speed of their droid?

I must be odd, because I love the size of that phone. My buddy has an original Droid and that thing is just too large for me. Thing is, I've got pretty big hands, and the Aria is still comfortable. But I see people all the time saying it's too small.

Homer Bailey
02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I downloaded this and tried it last night. It produces all kinds of information although I'm not sure what the significance of any of it is. I also don't know the underlying principles between the sound I make and what phase of sleep I'm in. Perhaps breathing patterns change in REM?

If nothing else, the alarm is not as jarring as the stock alarm.

I think the paid version gives you features such as the alarms that wake you up when you are in a lighter sleep, which will apparently make you less tired? I only have the free version, and at minimum it's interesting to see how much I toss and turn in my sleep, and when I do it. I haven't messed around with the alarm features or the lullaby features too much.

Danny Serafini
02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
This may only be of interest to me but there was an Angry Birds update over the weekend and now there are three more worlds to conquer. Woot! Procrastination rules again! LOL :laugh: :lol:

I have spent waaaaaaaay too much time on that game. And there are 3 more levels coming out next month too, so it looks like I'll be spending even more time on it!

cincyinco
02-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Just picked up two 1800mAh batteries, with wall dock charger and micro USB cable for 34 bucks for my droid incredible... And so far its a huge improvement over stock. Been unplugged nearly 14 hours now witj moderate usage and still have about 80 percent life left.

SunDeck
02-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Just picked up two 1800mAh batteries, with wall dock charger and micro USB cable for 34 bucks for my droid incredible... And so far its a huge improvement over stock. Been unplugged nearly 14 hours now witj moderate usage and still have about 80 percent life left.

Where did you get them?

Cuban_Missile
02-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Didn't do my entire research on must have apps but one that I se everyday because I love movies is:

IMDB: The Internet Movie Database. This app is just like the website and has everything you need to know about old movies, new movies, upcoming movies, actors and actresses, tv shows. It is great and there is always a question on who was in this, what are they doing now, what is this quote from and it literally gets used all the time.

Other apps:
Tweet Caster: Much better twitter app
Flashlight: Uses your led lights for a flashlight
Foursquare: to show people where you have been on twitter and facebook
RunPee: an app that tells you a good time to be during a movie in theaters so you don't miss anything and it will tell you what you missed when you were peing by giving you a synopsis to read. (Fun fact about this app Jordan Palmer, Carson's brother and Bengals 3rd string QB developed this app)
ESPN Scorecenter: for all your score needs can program favorite teams to have a favorite team list for easier score checking.
ScoreKeeper: Fun score keeping app for card games like rummy or hearts

cincyinco
02-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Where did you get them?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/184-1105616-2451002?ref_=sr_1_2&s=mobile&qid=1295621563&a=B003XOUM12&sr=8-2

Up time, 27 hours.. Awake time 5 and change.. Still rocking 50 percent power. Off first charge. Extremely happy right now. It fits the stock battery door, no replacement there, so I did NOT have to replace my case. Perhaps already the best investment I have made on this phone, as the battery life was my only complaint.

cincyinco
02-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Ended up changing the battery out after 35 hours with 15% life left. First impression has left me extremely happy..

Razor Shines
02-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Ended up changing the battery out after 35 hours with 15% life left. First impression has left me extremely happy..

I ordered them earlier today. I'm pretty excited. If I get results close to what you are getting I'll be thrilled. Like you my only complaint about my EVO has been battery life.

mole44
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM
You can also get the batteries from htcexpress.com, thats where I got mine. Ordered them on a Friday afternoon and got them on Monday, California to Ohio, I was impressed with that aspect. I haven't really been that impressed with the life of the batteries so far. The price isn't bad if even just to have an extra battery so its not a deal breaker for me. They just didn't blow away my expectations or anything. Its hard to judge accurately though when I work in a cell deadzone, so I'm always searching for signal for 8 hours a day. At least we have Wifi.

TRF
02-14-2011, 02:59 PM
So, how fast is your 'droid phone? and how do you benchmark? I use quadrant and Linpack for Android. I'm overclocking to 1.2ghz, using Juice Defender to manage battery consumption.

dougdirt
02-14-2011, 03:13 PM
My droid is old and slow (ERIS). Seems that I am the only ERIS user on the planet who doesn't have problems with the phone though.

cincyinco
02-14-2011, 04:33 PM
I ordered them earlier today. I'm pretty excited. If I get results close to what you are getting I'll be thrilled. Like you my only complaint about my EVO has been battery life.

From what I gather these are EVO batteries, which for my droid incredible is an extra 500mAh.. Not sure what differences you will see, but I hope you have the same positive results..

Razor Shines
02-15-2011, 10:45 PM
From what I gather these are EVO batteries, which for my droid incredible is an extra 500mAh.. Not sure what differences you will see, but I hope you have the same positive results..

Well standard Evo batteries are 1500mAh, like mine. So I will see an improvement, I didn't know the Incredible was only 1300. Likely won't see as much as you.

cincyinco
02-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Well standard Evo batteries are 1500mAh, like mine. So I will see an improvement, I didn't know the Incredible was only 1300. Likely won't see as much as you.

Could have swore my girlfriends Evo ran on an 1800..anyway, I wish you the best, still very happy with the investment as it has made a worlds difference for me.

Razor Shines
02-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Could have swore my girlfriends Evo ran on an 1800..anyway, I wish you the best, still very happy with the investment as it has made a worlds difference for me.

Hmm.... I checked mine again after reading your post just to be sure and it is a 1500mAh. I got the Best Buy exclusive "white back" Evo. Maybe they put better batteries in the other ones, that would be odd though.

My batteries should be here today or tomorrow. An added benefit is that my wife has a Hero, which is also a 1500 battery so she will be able to use one of the batteries and see improved battery life as well.

cincyinco
02-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Razor, how are the batteries? Im still happy with my purchase, but I have perceived that my two batteries are not equal.. One seems better than the other. I have no way of verifying this, but out seems so. Overall though, I can now get through a whole day without carrying a charger, which was my only gripe.

Razor Shines
02-23-2011, 02:20 AM
Razor, how are the batteries? Im still happy with my purchase, but I have perceived that my two batteries are not equal.. One seems better than the other. I have no way of verifying this, but out seems so. Overall though, I can now get through a whole day without carrying a charger, which was my only gripe.

Just found them in the mail when I got home today. Gonna give them a full charge tonight and we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Redlegs_87
03-05-2011, 02:39 AM
I got the Huawei Ascend in in January for Cricket. Pretty low range android phone but this being my first smartphone it more then what I could have hoped for.

kpresidente
03-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Check out this awesome app....IP Webcam (http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/ip-webcam-turn-your-android-phone-into-live-spy-webcam/).

It uploads a stream from your video camera to a website that you can watch in realtime. I'm going to use this in my business. At the end of every day, I'll have one of the guys out in the field take a video of the work they did that day while I watch the stream back in the office and go over it with them on the phone.

How cool is that? I'll never have to go out in the field again!

kpresidente
03-05-2011, 01:22 PM
You guys with the Evo's should buy the 3500 mAh battery. It has a different case, but I found the shape actually made the evo easier to hold when calling. Stock Evo is too thin to hold right. This gives your hand something to grip. Plus, even though it looks a little ugly in the pictures but I swear when you actually get it it doesn't look bad at all, you barely notice it...

You're phone will never die on you again, which was my only complaint about the otherwise best phone on the market.

http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocell-Extended-Life-Battery-Black/dp/B003SNIR7Yhttp://www.seidioonline.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BACY35HEV4-BK-4.jpg

dougdirt
03-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Words with friends. It is a scrabble like game that you can play with friends. Very fun.

Cuban_Missile
03-05-2011, 03:44 PM
What if you have no friends to play with doug?

dougdirt
03-05-2011, 04:02 PM
What if you have no friends to play with doug?

You can start a game and it will find you a random person to play with too.

BoydsOfSummer
03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I've had a Droid for a couple months. Out of all the apps available I have only found like two that are useful. The phone is great...the apps, not so much.

paintmered
03-06-2011, 01:27 PM
I've had a Droid for a couple months. Out of all the apps available I have only found like two that are useful. The phone is great...the apps, not so much.

So you didn't find at least one of the following useful: internet, email and maps?

BoydsOfSummer
03-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Well yeah those are awesome but part of the phone. I mean all the other after market stuff that is out there.

dougdirt
03-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Well yeah those are awesome but part of the phone. I mean all the other after market stuff that is out there.

I suggest you look further into things you enjoy. Here is a list of the "aftermarket" apps I have on my phone currently:

AIM - Aol Instant Messenger. Helps me keep in touch with some people while on the road.

MLB At Bat Lite - Hoping I can still watch highlights during the season. Otherwise, its getting removed.

Barcode Scanner

Dropwords - Fun little word game.

Ebay - Nice to have when you are active on ebay.

Google Skymap - You can hold it up to the sky and it will show you the stars and constellations. Pretty cool little app.

Hootsuite Lite - Twitter App

Iheartradio - Haven't used it in forever.

IMDB - Always handy when trying to figure out where you know that actor from.

Live Scores - Now run by Yahoo, can give you updates/scores/boxscores on all kinds of different sports. Love it.

Mixzing - Haven't used my phone for music in a long time. When I did, I used this.

Pandora - See above, but for "radio"

Paypal - I have a paypal business credit card. Helps me keep on top of how much I have in my account.

PdaNet - allows me to tether my Eris to a laptop to use it as the internet connection if Wifi isn't available for the laptop.

PDF Viewer - allows me to read PDF's.

Pioneer Ball - An app for the Pioneer League which gives stories from throughout the league from the newspapers that cover the specific teams.

Pure RSS - Haven't used it in a while, but once the baseball season starts it will get more usage. Allows me to check out specific RSS feeds at given time intervals.

Quick Office - Allows you to read certain types of "MS Office" files.

RedsMinorLeagues - Shameless self plug, but a generic type app for my website that lets you read the stories and comments.

Shazam - Listens to songs and tells you what they are. Haven't updated it in a while since it used to be as many songs as you want, but newer versions are only like 5 songs a month unless you want to pay.

Shopsavvy - Lets you scan the UPC of products, then searches and finds you prices both locally and online for that product. Very useful at times.

Skyfire - Web browser

Sportypal - A fitness trainer app. Very awesome for runners/cyclists. Tracks distance and speed, as well as maps out your route on a map for you if you would like.

The Weather Channel

Words with friends Free - A scrabble like game you can play with friends or just random people you get matched with.

HeatherC1212
03-06-2011, 07:05 PM

Wow, I guess it depends on what you like and don't like as far as finding good apps, but I've found quite a few of them that I use pretty often. I use Twitter and Facebook all the time so I love having apps for those on my phone. I also like having the TV Guide app since I never know what's on at different times (especially when it's all reruns and I'm trying to find something else to watch) and as an entertainment junkie, I also have the E!Online app which usually has some fun stories or videos on it. I have a few different sports apps including the ESPN Scorecenter where I can put all my fave teams in and get scores right away. I plan to purchase the MLB At Bat app at some point so I can enjoy that during the season (that will be the first and only app I ever pay for on this phone :p: ). I also love Pandora and the other music apps that are out there and for games, Angry Birds and Paper Toss are mad addicting games that you can play anytime. It doesn't sound like you're enjoying your phone very much so I hope you can find more apps that you like sometime soon. Droids are pretty great phones but what's the point of having it if you aren't really enjoying it? :(

bengalsown
03-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't understand the point of twitter, facebook, ebay, etc. etc. specific apps.

I just use Dolphin browser, and view the native versions of the sites, instead of a dumbed down version you get in an app

Redlegs_87
03-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I use tweetdeck for twitter and facebook posting on my Android and on my PC. Very clean and simple shortens urls for you and other spiffy stuff.

dougdirt
03-07-2011, 03:34 AM
I don't understand the point of twitter, facebook, ebay, etc. etc. specific apps.

I just use Dolphin browser, and view the native versions of the sites, instead of a dumbed down version you get in an app

Those apps can alert me of things. That is why they are much better than just using the browser, I don't have to waste time checking them on a browser if nothing new is updated. If I need to then view the full version for some reason, I can bust out the browser.

redsmetz
04-26-2011, 05:55 PM
OK, I've scanned through this thread. My regular cell phone is dying (services to be determined later) and I'm thinking of moving to a data phone of some type. The guy at Verizon's customer service number suggested a Droid since I can tether it. He mentioned an app called PDANet that allows it, but I gather from reading this thread that it might not be "according to Hoyle." When I asked about it at the Verizon store, he wasn't familiar with it.

My tech guy mentioned that his partner had a droid and finally got rid of it because he couldn't check his email because it wasn't a gmail account (didn't work so well if you're checking Fuse or some other email server, which would be my business email).

So what should I look at? If I want to have wireless on my laptop, should I look to get a datacard? I'm a Verizon customer for my cell, but a Cinti Bell for home and internet. Unfortunately Cincinnati Bell doesn't have wireless devices that allow you to access outside the area.

I've decided to pull out one of our old cellphones for now to temporarily replace the one going on the fritz since we're traveling to Missouri tomorrow. But I think I want to make the jump to some sort of data phone and having the ability to connect wirelessly when needed (perhaps for some work stuff at clients).

Yachtzee
04-26-2011, 06:00 PM
OK, I've scanned through this thread. My regular cell phone is dying (services to be determined later) and I'm thinking of moving to a data phone of some type. The guy at Verizon's customer service number suggested a Droid since I can tether it. He mentioned an app called PDANet that allows it, but I gather from reading this thread that it might not be "according to Hoyle." When I asked about it at the Verizon store, he wasn't familiar with it.

My tech guy mentioned that his partner had a droid and finally got rid of it because he couldn't check his email because it wasn't a gmail account (didn't work so well if you're checking Fuse or some other email server, which would be my business email).

So what should I look at? If I want to have wireless on my laptop, should I look to get a datacard? I'm a Verizon customer for my cell, but a Cinti Bell for home and internet. Unfortunately Cincinnati Bell doesn't have wireless devices that allow you to access outside the area.

I've decided to pull out one of our old cellphones for now to temporarily replace the one going on the fritz since we're traveling to Missouri tomorrow. But I think I want to make the jump to some sort of data phone and having the ability to connect wirelessly when needed (perhaps for some work stuff at clients).

I have no problem checking my Time Warner email on my droid. I have 3 different email accounts I can check. It's just a matter of knowing the incoming mail server (usually a "POP" server) and your outgoing mail server (usually "SMTP") for your ISP. You just have to make sure it's set up properly.

RFS62
04-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Yeah, you can set up any email account on it.

paintmered
04-26-2011, 07:57 PM

I use PDANet all the time. Works very well.

CrimsonCrusader
04-26-2011, 08:24 PM
There is a new one called "TuneIn Radio." Has EVERYTHING that you ever wanted in a radio app. I highly recommend it. You won't be disappointed.

Cuban_Missile
04-26-2011, 09:56 PM
By the way doug and anyone else my words with friends name is M85Missile add me and lets play!

RedLegSuperStar
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
MLB At Bat
Shazam
Quickoffice Pro - Documents
Amazon App Store - Free App Daily
Applanet - Free Paid Apps

dougdirt
04-26-2011, 11:43 PM
By the way doug and anyone else my words with friends name is M85Missile add me and lets play!

It. Is. ON!

Boss-Hog
04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
I play Wordfeud, which I like better than Words with Friends (at least on Android). Anyone else play Wordfeud on Android or iPhone/iPod?

dougdirt
04-27-2011, 09:16 PM
I play Wordfeud, which I like better than Words with Friends (at least on Android). Anyone else play Wordfeud on Android or iPhone/iPod?

I do. Dougdirt24.

Boss-Hog
04-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I do. Dougdirt24.
Just sent you a request...

KOBasinger
04-29-2011, 09:12 AM

Bro, that's you? why didn't you tell me? haha. I 've been playin you and had no idea who you were. BTW, you suck ;)

KOBasinger
04-29-2011, 09:14 AM
BTW, add me on Words With Friends everybody else

ID : KOBasinger