PDA

View Full Version : GMail Lock Out

Caveat Emperor
06-02-2010, 03:42 PM
So, I was sitting at work a few minutes ago with my Gmail opened (as always) on a tab in my browser window. I noticed that the page was refreshing a few times, so I clicked over and found that I'd been logged out of my account and this message was displaying:

This account has been locked down due to unusual account activity. It may take up to 24 hours for you to regain access.

Unusual account activity includes, but is not limited to:

1.Receiving, deleting, or downloading large amounts of mail via POP in a short period of time.
2.Sending a large number of undeliverable messages (messages that bounce back).
3. Using file-sharing or file-storage software, browser extensions, or third party software that automatically logs in to your account.
4. Leaving multiple instances of your Gmail account open.
5. Browser-related issues. Please note that if you find your browser continually reloading while attempting to access your Inbox, it’s probably a browser issue, and it may be necessary to clear your browser’s cache and cookies.

If you feel that you have been using your Gmail account according to the Gmail Terms of Use, you can troubleshoot your problem by clicking here

I have no idea why this happened -- and I have no idea how to contact someone at Google to get access to my account. I have a hard time believing my password was compromised (I use a specific password for Gmail that I don't use anyplace else), and I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary at the time this happened.

Has anyone ever dealt with this? I really do rely on my Gmail as a primary e-mail account, and it'd be incredibly annoying to be without e-mail for 24 hours while Google sits and figures out what happened. Trouble is, there seems to be no way to get ahold of a person at Google -- just an e-mail that generates an automatic response.

Any help is appreciated.

redsmetz
06-02-2010, 04:28 PM
A Google search turned this up:

In addition to other external accounts, I have configured my Hotmail via POP in Gmail as an external account. Today, I was organizing all those old emails from Hotmail in my gmail account – deleting, reading, marked as read etc. After a while, I was kicked out of Gmail and when i tried to relogin, I got the below error message.

Account Lockdown: Unusual Activity Detected
This account has been locked down due to unusual account activity. It may take up to 24 hours for you to regain access.
Read more about this issue in Gmail help page.

Reason : This could have happened as I did a lot of deletions, downloading many emails from hotmail account including spam. This also happens when you try to very quickly read the emails.

So, it better to use external accounts with IMAP access which would keep all our emails, spam stored in external mail acct.

Quick Fix: Just exit and close all your browsers, clear the cookies and restart your browser or maybe the system too. This should help in most cases.

Link: http://www.webisee.com/2009/04/15/quick-fix-for-gmail-account-lockdown-unusual-activity-detected/