PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen

nemesis
06-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Obviously it is the weak link on this years version of the Reds. Now into June, teams should be in a position to start shining up their trading chips and some of their needs in return are becoming obvious to even the causal fan...

I would like to see Walt be aggressive (meaning before the deadline) in shoring up the bullpen even if it costs us an extra player or two to get it done.

Team 1: Kansas City

Soria and Farnsworth

Soria has a career ERA of 2.14 has only blown 12 saves in 3 and a half years on some terrible teams. He just turned 26 on May 18th. Has 2 more years of control and would be the best set up man in the Majors from minute one. He gives the team a fall back if the CoCo coaster derails and gives the team a viable option at closer for the next 8 Years.

Farnsworth is what he his. A hard-throwing middle reliever who'll give you a modest ERA, a K per inning and a acceptable walk-rate.

KC needs pitching both Starting and Bullpen and outfield prospects.

Two from Maloney, Wood, Klinker or Lecure. One of Balentien, Sutton, Negron or Henry. Two from Owings, Del Rosario, Fisher, Ondrusek and Burton.

Gives them 2 Starters. 2 Relievers. 1 upgrade to their bench.

Team 2: Detroit

Zumaya

Control is much better this year than any year past. Still just 25. Might never be a closer, but sports a sub 3.00 Career ERA. Control for one more year. Will be Tens of Millions cheaper than Soria in Free Agency.

Detroit has 2 very young and promising OF's in Jackson and Boesch. Damon is a liability in LF and isn't cheap. Probably could use one more insurance starter as well with Dontrell cut loose.

One from Maloney or Lecure. Heisey. One from Owings, Del Rosario, Fisher, Ondrusek and Burton.

Gives them a 6th starter at Toledo. A arm to replace Zumaya in the Bullpen and Heisey to replace Damon in LF as soon as next year.

Team 3: Seattle

Lee and Kelley

This is the most far fetched of all the deals. It also would have to happen much later in the trading season because Seattle is looking to maximize it's return. There would have to be money exchanged and at least on big ticket player with a expiring contract moved from the Reds... *coughHarangcough*

Kelley is 26 shows great control. About a K per inning as well. Could be used for Middle relief or a future closer. Seattle needs a DH, 1B, LF, SP and Bullpen help.

Harang plus $2.5 million for the buyout. Alonso before his value plummets. One of Wood, Klinker, Maloney, Lecure or Fairel. One of Francisco, Frazier, Balentien, Henry, Negron, Soto, Denove, Dickerson, Sutton or Fellhauser. Any one bullpen arm from the usual suspects.

All dreams and such but these are the guys who could help both long and short term which seems to be Jocketty's MO.

I personally would be all for Soria and Farnsworth. Both would provide immediate impact this year and give the Reds a long term answer at closer at a lesser cost than Cordero. Although it might hurt economy in Tums sales in Cincy...

LeDoux
06-02-2010, 06:24 PM
There are several arms due up in the near future. I think it would be best to wait until those reinforcements arrive. I don't see too many teams wanting to downgrade their bullpens right now for prospects.

redhat
06-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I'll just comment that it's funny that the guy who posts about what he thinks the team's weak link is, goes by nemesis. :D

redsfanmia
06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I wonder when they are going to call Dave Weathers and coax him out of retirement, and I have heard that Jeff Shaw has been working out and is looking very good.

nemesis
06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I wonder when they are going to call Dave Weathers and coax him out of retirement, and I have heard that Jeff Shaw has been working out and is looking very good.

I know Mr. Shaw very very well and he is still in excellent shape. Mostly cause the wife and Daughter run him around... Lol.

I actually said something to my girlfriend last night about Weathers. It wouldn't suprise me if a phone call was made by either party in the near future...

redsfanmia
06-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I know Mr. Shaw very very well and he is still in excellent shape. Mostly cause the wife and Daughter run him around... Lol.

I actually said something to my girlfriend last night about Weathers. It wouldn't suprise me if a phone call was made by either party in the near future...

I think Weathers if he has been working out would be a legitimate option.