PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see that crazy stuff in the Tigers/Indians game?

TheOnlyRedsFan
06-02-2010, 10:08 PM
1 out away from a perfect game and the umpire blew it on a terrible call at first?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8616789

ThornWithin81
06-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Jim Joyce already admitted that he cost the kid a perfect game.

What an ugly situation. I feel for both parties.

sivman17
06-02-2010, 10:27 PM
I couldn't believe it when I saw it live. I was speechless. Such a shame. I really wish the MLB could award him a perfect game but apparently they can't do it.

Vottomatic
06-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah. Sucks for both of them.

Maker_84
06-02-2010, 11:28 PM
terrible

Seņor Rojo
06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Jim Joyce was my least favorite umpire even before this game. I remember him being a total jerk during a Reds game last season. He's so hardheaded and unnecessarily confrontational. He becomes aggressive when people dispute his calls and tries to intimidate the other person. He gives umpires a bad name and really needs to be evaluated after this game.

sabometrics
06-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Jim Joyce was my least favorite umpire even before this game. I remember him being a total jerk during a Reds game last season. He's so hardheaded and unnecessarily confrontational. He becomes aggressive when people dispute his calls and tries to intimidate the other person. He gives umpires a bad name and really needs to be evaluated after this game.

He couldn't have gotten off any easier as all the Tigers including Gallaraga and Leyland would not say anything bad about him. The media ran with how bad a call it was but repeatedly complemented him as one of the best in the game. I don't know myself, but when he makes a personal apology to the team in the locker room after the game all I can do is feel bad for everyone involved. Human error is a you know what sometimes.

DirtyBaker
06-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Watching it live it looked extremely close, but I figured that a tie would have gone to the pitcher throwing a perfect game. :confused:

sabometrics
06-03-2010, 03:57 AM
One fan's reaction to the call:

YouTube - Armando Galarraga Loses Perfect Game Thanks to Umpire Jim Joyce (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VnPdn3PMuU)

Last play at 3:00

texasdave
06-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Who tapes themselves watching a game?

sabometrics
06-03-2010, 04:31 AM
I guess people will do anything to be a part of history man ;)

Honestly if a Red was throwing perfect game I was probably tape me and my buddies going bonkers. Then again maybe I would be too superstitious. I dunno, but I can't blame the guy either way. He was enjoying a piece of history with his kids.

texasdave
06-03-2010, 06:12 AM
I guess people will do anything to be a part of history man ;)

Honestly if a Red was throwing perfect game I was probably tape me and my buddies going bonkers. Then again maybe I would be too superstitious. I dunno, but I can't blame the guy either way. He was enjoying a piece of history with his kids.

I would tape the game. And maybe he did. I am about 99.9% sure I wouldn't tape myself watching it. No harm done, I guess. It just struck me as odd.

bgwilly31
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Okay Ive got a comment about this call.

I played first base my whole career and on more than one occasion had a runner called safe on me for What was called "Double clutching" Or "Bobbling"

Same exact thing the pitcher does in this play. The ball was sno coned in his glove and he opens his mit and secures the ball.

Numerous did i do that on a scoop play or what not and had the runner called safe on me.

I was told to leave it sno-coned and secure the ball with my throwing hand.

So imo he could have been called safe on that end of the play as well.

Krawhitham
06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Okay Ive got a comment about this call.

I played first base my whole career and on more than one occasion had a runner called safe on me for What was called "Double clutching" Or "Bobbling"

Same exact thing the pitcher does in this play. The ball was sno coned in his glove and he opens his mit and secures the ball.

Numerous did i do that on a scoop play or what not and had the runner called safe on me.

I was told to leave it sno-coned and secure the ball with my throwing hand.

So imo he could have been called safe on that end of the play as well.

No the Ump said he thought the runner beat the play, "Double clutching" Or "Bobbling" had nothing to do with it

sivman17
06-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I noticed the sno-cone, but I think he had the ball secured when his foot was on the bag. After he touched first base he then dropped the ball down into his mitt. As far as I'm concerned he had the ball with his foot on the bag. Blown call.

Krawhitham
06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
They were at home and the official scorer has 24 hours to review calls. Just give an error to somebody and the kid can at least have a no hitter.

According to ESPN MLB is reviewing the play, I feel they should not change it. By rule the official scorer can give someone an error, but if MLB overrules the call where does it stop?

Will they go back and overrule the same type of play and blown call that cost the Cards the WS in 1985?

GIDP
06-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Watching it live it looked extremely close, but I figured that a tie would have gone to the pitcher throwing a perfect game. :confused:

I thought it was really really close live. I easily see how me missed it.

GIDP
06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
They were at home and the official scorer has 24 hours to review calls. Just give an error to somebody and the kid can at least have a no hitter.

According to ESPN MLB is reviewing the play, I feel they should not change it. By rule the official scorer can give someone an error, but if MLB overrules the call where does it stop?

Will they go back and overrule the same type of play and blown call that cost the Cards the WS in 1985?

I have a feeling that since it was the last out of the game, and he went on to record the next out there is a chance he could reverse it. I would normally say you cant reverse it, but given that nothing about that game changes this is 1 situation where I see it being completely appropriate to over turn it.

Bad calls happen but this one is fixable just because of how it happened.

bgwilly31
06-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Even on replay it is extremly close.

They stop the camera as soon as the ball enters the glove. Sooo i say he deals with it.

ILoveWilly
06-03-2010, 01:49 PM
MLB should reverse it, but Selig is too much a spineless dope to actually do anything about anything. Not only for the sake of the pitcher, but probably even more so for the umpire involved so he doesn't have to live with this the rest of his life.

Jeez, you could come up with a rule very specific to this situation that does not change anything else whatsoever. Like "in the event of the final out of the 9th inning, the judgment of a first base or fair/foul call maybe be reversed for statistical reasons if the following final out is recorded."

What is the harm of that? It doesn't open everything in the history of MLB up to debate, and it gives the guy an accomplishment and gets the umpire off the hook.

jredmo2
06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Video of Galarraga handing the lineup card to Joyce today: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/67891/afternoon_armando_galarraga_wrapup

Turning into a fantastic story, I almost lost it when Joyce slapped him on the back like that

GIDP
06-03-2010, 02:17 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100603&content_id=10754978&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

better video

GIDP
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
I have no problem with them changing it, and I also have no problem with them not changing it.

The reaction to a blown call, makes the game more perfect than every other perfect game in history. Little did anyone know that we witness how perfect a game can really be even when it isnt.

Reds
06-03-2010, 03:05 PM
That reaction of the guy and his kids is great, I had much the same reaction.

This call should, and I believe will be reversed. They need to find a way to review all potential final outs, outs that would end the game. The official scorer has 24 hours to rule an error, which I read he will not even consider, because the ball never moved in his glove while he was on the base.

malcontent
06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
This just in...Bud Selig continues to be a worthless piece of...work.

Idiot Boy has pushed radical realignments that would effectively sever the current game from its history, completely unbalanced everything by moving his loser team to the NL Central, made a mockery of the All-Star Game by attaching WS home field advantage to it, and stated that there will be no "sacred cows" in considering changing the game.

But he won't budge on this, when I'd venture 95% of baseball fans would want him to. Less than worthless.

Rockermann
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I think Bud is doing the right thing. How many other calls should he go back and change while he's at it?

malcontent
06-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I think Bud is doing the right thing. How many other calls should he go back and change while he's at it?
I know. It would require a sense of proportion, perspective. Maybe even a sense of fairness and ethics. I'll admit, all are virtues impossibly beyond the capacity of Selig.

muddie
06-03-2010, 04:43 PM

As bad as the call was, and it was not close by professional standards, I would not support changing the call. He blew the call, move on. I do not want baseball to go to the instant replay either.

bounty37h
06-03-2010, 04:57 PM

I dont like that, see it as the same thing, there was no error (at least on a player), so thats trying to save face while not doing anything really.

sivman17
06-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I think Selig is an old buffoon for not changing this call. I couldn't believe I actually held out hope this morning that he would change it. It's like he's living in the 30s. Look around, Bud, every other major sport has some kind of replay system that avoids calls like this. The "replay system" they currently have is a joke. Save Jim Joyce from a lifetime of being known as the guy that ruined a perfect game. They even asked Galarraga if he'd want Bud to change it and he said he'd love it. Tony LaRussa said to change it. Joyce wants it changed.

It's not like they don't change things after they happened. They took away 50 no-hitters some years ago. Official scorers have 24 hours to change an error to a hit and vice versa, which changes pitchers' ERAs and batters' averages. Changing this is a no-brainer. There would be virtually no stats changed, not that that would be a big deal anyway. But it was the 27th out. C'mon Bud. Do it in the "best interest of the game."

Trace's Daddy
06-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Would've been awesome if Jim Leyland threw something that resembled a red flag onto the infield after that blown call.

malcontent
06-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I think Selig is an old buffoon for not changing this call. I couldn't believe I actually held out hope this morning that he would change it. It's like he's living in the 30s. Look around, Bud, every other major sport has some kind of replay system that avoids calls like this. The "replay system" they currently have is a joke. Save Jim Joyce from a lifetime of being known as the guy that ruined a perfect game. They even asked Galarraga if he'd want Bud to change it and he said he'd love it. Tony LaRussa said to change it. Joyce wants it changed.

It's not like they don't change things after they happened. They took away 50 no-hitters some years ago. Official scorers have 24 hours to change an error to a hit and vice versa, which changes pitchers' ERAs and batters' averages. Changing this is a no-brainer. There would be virtually no stats changed, not that that would be a big deal anyway. But it was the 27th out. C'mon Bud. Do it in the "best interest of the game."
Great post.

Rockermann
06-03-2010, 06:16 PM
... It's like he's living in the 30s. Look around, Bud, every other major sport has some kind of replay system that avoids calls like this...

I agree. Baseball needs a better replay system. No doubt. But, until they do, you can't really want it's officials making up the rules as they go along, do you?

There is no system in place to review this call made by an umpire. Until there is, it seems to me there is not much that can be done with situations like this.

Reds
06-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I know it was the umpires call at first but it would have been nice, looking back, if the umpires would have huddled and discussed it.

LeDoux
06-03-2010, 09:51 PM

If they do reopen the books, I would not mind them removing a few players from the HR leaders board while they are at it.

Seņor Rojo
06-03-2010, 11:13 PM
The first recorded perfect games dates back to 1880. Obviously, no one is around anymore to verify that this happened. We also don't know if there were several blown calls in those first few perfect games. Here's what we do know: that Galarraga pitched what should have been recorded as a perfect game.

Now, everyone is going to remember this game for many years, but what happens when this memory becomes hazy and people begin to forget? Galarraga will not have his name in the record books and his baseball immortality, or lack thereof, will be forgotten. He deserves better than this and so does baseball.

There are so many things that have happened in baseball based on a lack of proof. Joe Jackson is banned from baseball for life because of an agreement that he was supposedly following. No one but Jackson knows if he was throwing the World Series. However, everyone knows that Galarraga pitched a perfect game. The evidence is indisputable. Baseball is a game of human imperfection and error, that's what makes it so unique, but the error in this instance is to turn a blind eye to this injustice.

Kingspoint
06-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Unbelievable turnaround to this story.

I have great respect for everyone involved...Leyland, Joyce, Gallaraga, etc.

There's nothing but disrespect for Selig, of course. It's an easy change to make. The score of the game doesn't change. It doesn't have to be replayed because it being the last out of the game.

What good is it to be Commissioner if you can't correct a wrong like this with a simple,...."Done!"?