PDA

View Full Version : Sun Deck Introductions

TheBigLebowski
06-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Got this idea from Benihana on the ORG board....I know the purpose of the Sun Deck for some is to be a proving ground for entrance to the ORG but, for others, maintaining Sun Deck membership is perfectly acceptable. Therefore, I don't think there's anything wrong with us getting to know each other a little better.

I'm 32 years old and recently divorced. No kids, thank goodness. I was born in Cincinnati and have been following the Reds and Bengals all my life. I moved to Gainesville, FL when I was young. Graduated from UF with 2 degrees and I'm actually in grad school right now getting an MBA. I currently work as an accident investigator for a major insurance company but, hopefully, this grad degree will allow me to get the (heck) out of this profession.

Fave baseball player is and always will be Eric Davis.

My fave movie should be obvious, Dude.

As I am newly single, I am trying to learn how to play the acoustic guitar b/c chicks dig it, from what I hear. Fave musicians are Ben Harper, Wilco, Alexei Murdoch and Ryan Adams, among many others.

Anyhoo, that's a little about me. Looking forward to learning a little more about the rest of you.

texasdave
06-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Born and raised in Cincinnati, I now live in Texas and my name is Dave. I am in my fifties and pretty stinkin' original when it comes to making up screen names.

I was raised in Skyline Acres and had friends that went to both Colerain and Mt. Healthy. I, being a knucklehead, graduated from St. Xavier after parochially attending St. Ann in Groesbeck.

Having not a penny to my name, after graduating from high school I joined the Air Force. (They weren't aiming quite so high back then.) After six years working as a Russian linguist, I was discharged honorably.

Jobwise, which I certain no one really cares about, I recently quit my job of 22 years as a revenue auditor and am currently working at a company that takes in readings from people wearing heart monitors and builds reports on those readings for use by cardiologists.

I married a lovely girl from Houston and, naturally, we had to settle in close proximity to her family. I have two daughters both married and one step-grandson.

As far as sports are concerned I follow the Reds, the Bengals and the Sacramento Kings (who used to be the Kansas City Kings who used to be the Cincinnati Royals). The Houston Rockets are also okay by me.

All-time favorite sports figures would include Oscar Robertson, Vada Pinson, Tony Perez, Greg Cook, Sean Casey, Ickey Woods, Lemar Parrish, Jim Ryun, David Duval, Norm Van Lier, Tiny Archibald and, currently, Drew Stubbs, Phil Mickelson, Tyreke Evans, Aroldis Chapman and T.J. Houshmanzadeh.

I am not a soccer fan per se, but am anxiously anticipating the World Cup.

I used to run but now only jog as my feet and knees are not cooperating as well as they could or should. I read mostly non-fiction or science fiction. My interests in music lie mostly with classical rock, although I do like some of alternative music. Favorites would include Neil Young, Thin Lizzy, Starz, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult, Counting Crows and some lesser known artists such as Kevin Salem, Buffalo Tom, Ben Folds Five and on and on.

TheBigLebowski
06-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Born and raised in Cincinnati, I now live in Texas and my name is Dave. I am in my fifties and pretty stinkin' original when it comes to making up screen names.

I was raised in Skyline Acres and had friends that went to both Colerain and Mt. Healthy. I, being a knucklehead, graduated from St. Xavier after parochially attending St. Ann in Groesbeck.

Having not a penny to my name, after graduating from high school I joined the Air Force. (They weren't aiming quite so high back then.) After six years working as a Russian linguist, I was discharged honorably.

Jobwise, which I certain no one really cares about, I recently quit my job of 22 years as a revenue auditor and am currently working at a company that takes in readings from people wearing heart monitors and builds reports on those readings for use by cardiologists.

I married a lovely girl from Houston and, naturally, we had to settle in close proximity to her family. I have two daughters both married and one step-grandson.

As far as sports are concerned I follow the Reds, the Bengals and the Sacramento Kings (who used to be the Kansas City Kings who used to be the Cincinnati Royals). The Houston Rockets are also okay by me.

All-time favorite sports figures would include Oscar Robertson, Vada Pinson, Tony Perez, Greg Cook, Sean Casey, Ickey Woods, Lemar Parrish, Jim Ryun, David Duval, Norm Van Lier, Tiny Archibald and, currently, Drew Stubbs, Phil Mickelson, Tyreke Evans, Aroldis Chapman and T.J. Houshmanzadeh.

I am not a soccer fan per se, but am anxiously anticipating the World Cup.

I used to run but now only jog as my feet and knees are not cooperating as well as they could or should. I read mostly non-fiction or science fiction. My interests in music lie mostly with classical rock, although I do like some of alternative music. Favorites would include Neil Young, Thin Lizzy, Starz, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult, Counting Crows and some lesser known artists such as Kevin Salem, Buffalo Tom, Ben Folds Five and on and on.

I also enjoy Ben Folds and was lucky enough to catch him live in Jacksonville. He was awesome. Wouldn't necessarily consider him "lesser known" but that's debatable.

Did you catch the USA/Australia match this morning?? Really good result for the US against a good opponent. 3-1 win that wasn't as close as the score would indicate. Defense is still a sieve, however.

Cant Touch This
06-05-2010, 11:14 AM
39 years ago, I was born with Cincinnati Red blood. I had no choice, not that it would have been different anyway.

The Reds have been a part of my maternal grandmother's side of the family since the team was founded in 1869, with branches of our family tree extending to Harry Wright and his younger brother George.

My grandparents were household names to some people in and around the Cincinnati area from the 30s through the 80s and even into the early 90s. Thanks to the Big Band Era, the Ruth Lyons/Bob Braun shows, and 500,000 watts of power, my grandparents were seen and heard by many thousands of people.

In 1956, they founded the Red Rooters Club, and 8 years later my grandmother was a trustee for the newly-created Rosie Reds. After my grandfather's death in 1970, my grandmother took over operation of the family's travel agency which handled a significant portion of the Cincinnati Reds travel as well as all of the Red Rooters tours.

Each year during my childhood, I was fortunate enough to spend a week in Tampa when the Reds trained at Al Lopez Field in March. We attended many games and also the annual banquet. In the 80s, all of the players attended the banquet and were genuinely happy to be there. On March 22, 1984, after Joe Nuxhall delivered a closing speech, Davey Concepcion ran up to the podium and called for everyone's attention before they got up to mingle. He wanted everyone to know that someone was celebrating his 13th birthday on that very night, so everyone from Charlie Puleo to Eric Davis joined in signing happy birthday to me, followed by Concepcion presenting me with a cake, complete with lit candles.

Since then, I've been blessed with opportunities and experiences any true Reds fan would cherish. Thanks to the travel agency's season tickets, I was able to attend any and every Reds game I could get to. At Riverfront, our seats were in the 20th row behind the Reds dugout. It is in those seats where I watched Pete Rose lace hit #4192 into left-center field. It is in those seats where I watched the 1988 All Star Game. Where I saw Johnny Bench hit career home run #389 on September 17, 1983 - Johnny Bench Day. And it is in those seats where I saw the final pitch at Riverfront Stadium.

I've toured with the Red Rooters, and on occasion even worked as a bus captain. It's amazing how many Budweisers an 82-year-old woman can put down between Cincinnati and Atlanta when she starts drinking at 6:30 AM.

I attended The annual Reds Rally at Marge Schott's home for many years which allowed me some intimate face-time with players and their families. I remember one year eating dinner with Hal Morris and not being able to draw my attention away from how attractive his wife was. One of my favorite photos of all time is of me and Reggie Sanders clinking together our glasses full of scotch on the rocks. I was always a huge Reggie Sanders fan.

In 1988, my cousin was one of the Reds ball boys which meant he was on the field for the All Star game. (I waved to him from our seats.) He was well liked by the players in the clubhouse and often was given tokens of appreciation. In 1989, my senior year in high school, I ended up using one of Barry Larkin's baseball gloves for all of our post-season play. It was the softest, most well-cared-for glove I ever wore and it pained me dearly to have to return it.

I've played golf with Marty and drank Manhattans with Joe. I've sung the national anthem at Riverfront and Santa Claus is Coming to Town on the Bob Braun Show. (neither of those solo as that would be cruel to everyone.)

Being involved with the Reds and so many events surrounding the team, it got to the point where I took it for granted. In 1996, I worked downtown and parked in the stadium. With no children yet and a wife who worked many nights, I would walk across the bridge that connected the 312 Walnut building to Riverfront Stadium and go directly to my seat from happy hour. I had to have seen 40+ games that year. I didn't know how good I had it.

Fast forward to 2010 and I'm lucky to get to two games a year. I've lived in Michigan for 8 years now and our family decided to not renew our season tickets in 2004, the second year at GABP, partly due to the fact that I no longer lived in Cincinnati and was the most frequent user of the tickets.

I have four kids ages 3-12 who keep me busy with coaching baseball and attending dance recitals. My oldest (a boy) has become a Reds fan to the level of obsession. Thanks to MLB Extra Innings, we watch the Reds on TV just about every night. He loves Johnny Cueto and hates umpires. We went to the final game of the Houston series last weekend and after the Reds lost 2-0 in ten innings, he was so upset that on our walk back to my car, he stopped at one of the trash cans on 3rd street and tried to stuff the wheel-less skateboard they gave to first 10,000 kids deep inside. (He tends to overreact, as made evident by the 30-minute meltdown that occurred when Pitt beat Xavier in the second round of the 2009 NCAA tournament.)

For those with children you can understand. For those without, I can't even begin to describe what it's like to share a passion like baseball and the Reds with your own son or daughter. I wish I was in a position to give my children the wonderful opportunities I was granted as a child, but times are different now. I still have plenty of connections and associations with the club, but not living in Cincinnati really cripples our ability to take advantage. Fortunately, the Reds are a permanent fixture in Cincinnati and mabye someday, we will lucky enough to return.

It's amazing to me that in less than three months, my oldest son will be celebrating his 13th birthday. Paging Dave Concepcion...

TheBigLebowski
06-05-2010, 11:20 AM
39 years ago, I was born with Cincinnati Red blood. I had no choice, not that it would have been different anyway.

The Reds have been a part of my maternal grandmother's side of the family since the team was founded in 1869, with branches of our family tree extending to Harry Wright and his younger brother George.

My grandparents were household names to some people in and around the Cincinnati area from the 30s through the 80s and even into the early 90s. Thanks to the Big Band Era, the Ruth Lyons/Bob Braun shows, and 500,000 watts of power, my grandparents were seen and heard by many thousands of people.

In 1956, they founded the Red Rooters Club, and 8 years later my grandmother was a trustee for the newly-created Rosie Reds. After my grandfather's death in 1970, my grandmother took over operation of the family's travel agency which handled a significant portion of the Cincinnati Reds travel as well as all of the Red Rooters tours.

Each year during my childhood, I was fortunate enough to spend a week in Tampa when the Reds trained at Al Lopez Field in March. We attended many games and also the annual banquet. In the 80s, all of the players attended the banquet and were genuinely happy to be there. On March 22, 1984, after Joe Nuxhall delivered a closing speech, Davey Concepcion ran up to the podium and called for everyone's attention before they got up to mingle. He wanted everyone to know that someone was celebrating his 13th birthday on that very night, so everyone from Charlie Puleo to Eric Davis joined in signing happy birthday to me, followed by Concepcion presenting me with a cake, complete with lit candles.

Since then, I've been blessed with opportunities and experiences any true Reds fan would cherish. Thanks to the travel agency's season tickets, I was able to attend any and every Reds game I could get to. At Riverfront, our seats were in the 20th row behind the Reds dugout. It is in those seats where I watched Pete Rose lace hit #4192 into left-center field. It is in those seats where I watched the 1988 All Star Game. Where I saw Johnny Bench hit career home run #389 on September 17, 1983 - Johnny Bench Day. And it is in those seats where I saw the final pitch at Riverfront Stadium.

I've toured with the Red Rooters, and on occasion even worked as a bus captain. It's amazing how many Budweisers an 82-year-old woman can put down between Cincinnati and Atlanta when she starts drinking at 6:30 AM.

I attended The annual Reds Rally at Marge Schott's home for many years which allowed me some intimate face-time with players and their families. I remember one year eating dinner with Hal Morris and not being able to draw my attention away from how attractive his wife was. One of my favorite photos of all time is of me and Reggie Sanders clinking together our glasses full of scotch on the rocks. I was always a huge Reggie Sanders fan.

In 1988, my cousin was one of the Reds ball boys which meant he was on the field for the All Star game. (I waved to him from our seats.) He was well liked by the players in the clubhouse and often was given tokens of appreciation. In 1989, my senior year in high school, I ended up using one of Barry Larkin's baseball gloves for all of our post-season play. It was the softest, most well-cared-for glove I ever wore and it pained me dearly to have to return it.

I've played golf with Marty and drank Manhattans with Joe. I've sung the national anthem at Riverfront and Santa Claus is Coming to Town on the Bob Braun Show. (neither of those solo as that would be cruel to everyone.)

Being involved with the Reds and so many events surrounding the team, it got to the point where I took it for granted. In 1996, I worked downtown and parked in the stadium. With no children yet and a wife who worked many nights, I would walk across the bridge that connected the 312 Walnut building to Riverfront Stadium and go directly to my seat from happy hour. I had to have seen 40+ games that year. I didn't know how good I had it.

Fast forward to 2010 and I'm lucky to get to two games a year. I've lived in Michigan for 8 years now and our family decided to not renew our season tickets in 2004, the second year at GABP, partly due to the fact that I no longer lived in Cincinnati and was the most frequent user of the tickets.

I have four kids ages 3-12 who keep me busy with coaching baseball and attending dance recitals. My oldest (a boy) has become a Reds fan to the level of obsession. Thanks to MLB Extra Innings, we watch the Reds on TV just about every night. He loves Johnny Cueto and hates umpires. We went to the final game of the Houston series last weekend and after the Reds lost 2-0 in ten innings, he was so upset that on our walk back to my car, he stopped at one of the trash cans on 3rd street and tried to stuff the wheel-less skateboard they gave to first 10,000 kids deep inside. (He tends to overreact, as made evident by the 30-minute meltdown that occurred when Pitt beat Xavier in the second round of the 2009 NCAA tournament.)

For those with children you can understand. For those without, I can't even begin to describe what it's like to share a passion like baseball and the Reds with your own son or daughter. I wish I was in a position to give my children the wonderful opportunities I was granted as a child, but times are different now. I still have plenty of connections and associations with the club, but not living in Cincinnati really cripples our ability to take advantage. Fortunately, the Reds are a permanent fixture in Cincinnati and mabye someday, we will lucky enough to return.

It's amazing to me that in less than three months, my oldest son will be celebrating his 13th birthday. Paging Dave Concepcion...

Great post, great read, replete with a Charlie Puleo reference. Sounds like you've done stuff most Reds fans would kill to do.

Cant Touch This
06-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Great post, great read, replete with a Charlie Puleo reference. Sounds like you've done stuff most Reds fans would kill to do.

Pretty much everything except play for them. A charmed life indeed. I'm extremely lucky.

SidneySlicker
06-05-2010, 12:03 PM
My name is Jared and I'm 32. I live in Sidney, Ohio. I was born and raised on a farm near the small farming community of Pandora, Ohio. I was the oldest of 6 kids. In high school I played and lettered in football and baseball and played basketball, but wasn't anything more than a bench warmer.

After high school I went to Bluffton College (as it was named at the time, now Bluffton University) and graduated with a liberal arts degree in Recreation Management. I played intramural sports in college and thoroughly enjoyed it. I looked for a while for a job in the YMCA or local parks and recreation programs as a youth or family programing director, but to no avail. I didn't want to move far away and that created some major limitations.

After college I worked in Findlay, Ohio for about 3 years in a distribution plant. I was then set up on a blind double date to what would be my future wife, by my sister and brother in law. After dating for a mere 6 months I asked her to marry me, and we got married a year and a week after our first date. My wife is a school teacher in Sidney ( but was originally from the Findlay area) and I proposed to her during lunchtime at her school in front of all the students and teachers. With some help from the school principal and secretary I came out from behind the curtains on the stage and used a microphone to profess my love for her and to ask her to be my wife. I was so freaking nervous that I forgot to get on one knee when asking her to marry me. She said yes and it's been a great ride of ups and downs since, but I lover her to death.

I now work for a real estate appraisal company and love it. My wife and I have been married now for 7 years this summer and have 3 beautiful girls ages 4 (will be 5 in a few weeks), 3 as of April, and 8 months. Which keep us very busy.

Growing up on a farm, we never had cable tv. I grew up and became a reds fan listing to 1150am out of Lima, Ohio while listening to Marty and Joe. I started following the Redlegs near in the mid 80's. I went to bed every night with a small radio at my bedside playing the reds on radio no matter whether they were playing at home or on a west coast road trip (in which I would do my best to stay awake to catch some of the call). Between life and living 11/2hrs from the park I don't get to make more than 1 or 2 games a year, but dvr and watch every game that's on tv. This being my first year to watch it on my hd big screen tv.

My dad wasn't a big baseball fan, but liked the Cleveland Browns as a football team which was the team that was predominantly shown on the over the air stations we got on tv. I also became a Cleveland Cavaliers fan watching the likes of Mark Price, Larry Nance, and Brad Daugherty. My favorite athletes were probably Bernie Kosar, Mark Price, and Barry Larkin/Eric Davis.

Someday I hope to do the reds baseball heaven (not sure if it's still called that) and one of my dreams is to take batting practice in a major league stadium, preferably GABP.
Thanks for starting this thread and look forward to meeting all of you.

Vottomatic
06-05-2010, 12:05 PM
My name is Eric. And I'm a Reds addict. :D (why do I feel like I'm part of some rehab group?)

Born and raised and still live in Cincinnati. Went completely through the Madeira school system from kindergarten to graduating. I will be 45 years old on June 19th.

My father was a huge sports fan and now I am. He had season tickets to the Cincinnati Royals and Reds for years. Reds season tickets ended when they built GABP, because he couldn't afford it anymore. He was also a huge Cleveland Browns fan.

My first memory of the Reds was in 1975. My father bought our first color tv as the playoffs started. I fell in love from that moment on. My favorite Reds players of all-time are probably Mario Soto and Jose Rijo. I did love Eric Davis too. It's obvious who my current favorite is.

Attended both Vanderbilt (for 2 years) and UC (for 2 years) and fell short of earning my degree as I chose to enter and eventually take over the family commercial construction business, which is suffering right now because of the poor economy.

I was married in 1993 and divorced in 2005. The best part is that I have two beautiful, smart, and talented daughters, ages 13 and 15.

I currently live in Blue Ash, while helping to support my ex-wife and kids, who live in Lebanon.

To make ends meet, I also started a DJ business 3 years ago and work at several Bar/Restaurant establishments in Cincinnati several nights a week.

People who meet me often say I look like the character Doug Heffernan on the sitcom King of Queens. I get called that alot while DJing.

I am also a huge UC Bearcat fan. I miss the basketball days from when Bob Huggins was here, although I understand why he was fired. The current situation isn't getting it done. But I'm fired up about the Bearcat Football team and think this year's team, with Zach Collaros at QB, could be even better than last year's team. We shall see.

I also enjoy the Bengals, but feel they will always be a second tier type of team, and never really get over the hump keeping them from being elite. I think Carson Palmer is a quality person, but really question if his injuries haven't made him a second tier QB, unlike his earlier years in the NFL. I guess we will get that answer in this upcoming season.

I'm also a big fan of movies and all kinds of music. And I'm definitely an internet junkie.

mlh1981
06-05-2010, 01:00 PM
My name is Michael. I'm 28 years old and live in Athens, Ohio. I am employed as a substitute teacher (its really not as bad as it sounds lol) and I work part time in radio.

My first experience with the Cincinnati Reds involved a class field trip to Riverfront Stadium in 1992 for a Reds vs. Padres game. I just remember how impressed I was with the vast size of the stadium, and during warmups, just how FAR players were backing up, and throwing accuately to one one another.

I don't really come from a sports family, and in fact, I never really played much baseball. The Reds always just stuck with me, though. Everything about the game is just awesome. I guess my great grandfather was a huge fan for many years, and listened to just about every game on the radio, so I suppose that's where I get it from.

I lost touch a bit with the team when my family lived in South Carolina from 1994-2000, but from about 2000-present, I've really reconnected with the team, and patiently await not only a winning season, but a World Series Championship. I really can't connect to the 1990 team, because I was really young, and I don't recall watching many sports back then.

My favorite players since 2000 include Ryan Freel, Aaron Boone, Joey Votto, and Adam Dunn, among others. I live about 4 hours from Cincinnati, and try to make it to a few games a year. From 2007-2009, I was living in Pittsburgh, and went to just about every Reds vs. Pirates game.

I've seen the Reds play at Petco Park, Dodger Stadium, the aforementioned PNC, Progressive Field, Fenway, and this Summer, I'm adding Citizens Bank Park and Citi Field to the list.

In other sports, I like the Bengals, Cavs, and my alma mater, Ohio University Bobcats. Other hobbies of mine include playing the piano, reading, and listening to good music.

nemesis
06-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm Michael.

I am 34 years old and live in Centerville, Ohio. I was born and raised in Carlisle, Ohio which is a small little speck in between Middletown and Franklin. I went to Capital University on a Football scholarship as a MLB. After a year or so my High School sweetheart decided she didn't like the amount of attractive coeds around me and convinced me that I was a 6' 230 LB white boy with a 4.73 forty who was playing at a DIII college. So I under her urging left school and got married to start my real life. A decision that haunts me to this day. I continued my education at Wright State got a couple degrees and entered the oh so fun world of sales with a Degree in Physiology and Mathematics... I am a human calculator like you wouldn't believe. I have been happily doing that (sales) for the last 15 years. 2 years later (after leaving Capitol) I found myself divorced and virtually broke. I was playing in a Semi-Pro football league at the time and under mountains of debt, a friend suggested I go bounce at a club. Since then and until this day I have done just that. I've worked at Arthur's, New York New York, Yucatan where I met many many players from the Reds and Visiting teams (gotta great Jason Larue and Denny Neagle story) had a very strong friendship with Aaron Boone over the years as well. I also have worked at Pulsations's (formally Arthur's), South Beach, Bargo's, New York New York again, Baby Dolls, Diamonds, HammerJax, Wallaby's and HammerJax again. Currently I work for the Viking War Team. Which is a group of the most experienced bouncers in the Dayton - Cincinnati area who work high risk Hip Hop parties and Concerts put on by individual promoters. Taken a bit of a break after being involved in a shooting in Beavercreek in January that left a patron dead.

I enjoy many activities that keep me sane. I am a huge movie buff. I watch alot of sports. I am a comic book geek. Transformers and He-Man were my toys of choice as a kid... I am of course a Reds fan. Bengals, Buckeyes, Bearcats, Detroit has always been my AL team to root for. I am a fan of College Basketball but not the NBA. I goto 15 or so Dragon's Games a year. Met alot of the Players in the bars I've worked at. Joey Votto has always been my favorite of the ones I met. Adam Dunn runs a close second for different reasons. Lol. My childhood Reds idol was Eric Davis. First game I ever went to he hit for the cycle. Ha. So spoiled. I always try to make it to games where a player has a ML Debut. Went to see Leake this year. Of late I have been doing alot more photography. I do alot of pics for my friends of their kids and starting doing portfolios for girls looking to get into the "industry" again. Something I did years ago. I wouldn't consider myself a bad guy. I come across as the type of guy you'd want your daughter to date and wife to stay away from. I am a huge health buff. I have used PED's going back to my Senior year of High School. I have used trial and error over many years that have helped me find the "right way" to use them. I can spot a juicer across the room. Or even on TV... I like to stay built and fit from Feb through Labor Day then eat like a horse all winter long.

I have a great girl now who knows every seedy detail of my past and still looks at me with love and warmth. She judges me on the man I am vs what I've done. She encourages me to watch as much sports as I want. Never asks to much of me and loves food as much as I do. So I am in a great place in my life right now. I do love coming on here and chatting. It has become an daily obsession of mine. So I've went on for ages. lol. I tend to do that... Hope to chat with you all soon...

Also if you wanna get a look at me or even befriend me I am on Facebook. Just put a message of who you are on here and I'll add ya. (Mafia Wars is another addiction... LOL)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/warmouth

Kiko
06-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I am a 40 yr. old living in Atlanta. Unfortunately, I witnessed the 9 inning collaspe nearly two weeks ago but the loss made my daughter happy because she was cheering for the Braves. My Aunt and Uncle lived in Dayton and took me to my first baseball game on Aug. 14th, 1979 at Riverfront. They lived in the same neighborhood as Mike Schmidt and I remember them showing me grade school pictures of him as their sons were the same age. Anyway, the Reds won the game 2-1 in the 10th inning on a Vic Correll double to beat Steve Carlton. Carlton pitched the whole game. I've made it up to GABP a few times and once to Tampa for Spring Training. Thanks to MLB network I get to watch/listen to most of the games. I chose Kiko as my screen name because that was my nickname in little league. I played SS and my coach nicknamed me after Kiko Garcia.

Griffey012
06-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks to the BigLebowski for starting this thread, I liked reading it in tORG.

I am Justin, I am a 23 year old who has lived my whole life in a small suburb right outside of Indianapolis. I have been job searching for the last year without much luck so I find myself still in school. I usually make it down to 4 or 5 games a year, this year I bought the Reds Power pack and should be able to get to 8 games. Hopefully I can find a job close to the area so I can get to 20-30 games a year in the future.

As a little kid I grew up watching the Reds on Ch.4 in the Indy area with my Dad and Grandpa. I vaguely remember the Reds 90 WS. A few years later as I really began to follow baseball I took an obsession to Griffey and ultimately found myself following the M's in the 90's and not the Reds. However with the Griffey trade, I was brought back to the Reds and wouldn't have it any other way.

I went to DePauw University and got a degree in mathematics, and am currently in graduate school for a master's in actuarial science. My life pretty much revolves around baseball, statistics, and number crunching. I won a state championship in high school playing baseball and spent two years playing at DePauw, before I decided to just live the college life for my last two (and focus on academics a bit more).

Based off my baseball playing background and math background I am about half old school and half new school when it comes to baseball. I enjoy sabermetrics and all the recent statistical breakdowns of baseball, but find myself not being completely satisfied with them yet, I feel there is still much more work to be done as far as including some non quantifiable effects.

I have throughly enjoyed my time here at RedsZone and really feel there is not other sports team message board that comes close to this. I read it religiously every day, don't know where I would get my fix without it. Go Reds!

cbowen2112
06-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Hello, my name is Chris and I have been a Reds fan for 20 years now. Of course I am only 26. I have lived in Florida my whole life and used to live about 20 miles away from the Reds old Spring complex in Plant City. I started going to games with the Boys and Girls Club during spring camps and fell in love. Some in my family might say I rebelled against the Yankee love (they are all from NY) but I was just intrigued and once they were a good team the same year I started following them (Champs in 1990) that was it! I also support the Tampa Bay Rays because of the hometown thing, but never anything close to my feeling about the Reds.

When I was 18 my mother passed away and I was about to enter college. I know it seems strange but watching baseball helped me understand patience and got my mind off of more serious things in life. It was a great coping mechanism. I met my wife a few years later while we were in college (Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Fl) while we were in one of our music classes. We both had backgrounds in music, so that made it easy. She started teaching and still does. I went on to get my Masters in Percussion performance from USF. After that I got a job teaching music and band at a middle school in Okeechobee, Fl. Two weeks later my wife found a job right across the street (literally) at an elementary school. We have since bought a house last year and had our first son William. We call him Liam for short.

Speaking of Liam, he was born in Cincinnati (as if I needed another excuse to love the Reds!). He was diagnosed with a tumor on his right lung before he was born via ultrasound. We had to spend Christmas in Cincinnati alone, but my wife has family from Lima, so they were very supportive. We stayed in the Ronald McDonald house and would have visits for about a month until a surgery at birth was scheduled. The doctors tried to save what they could of the right lung, but to no avail. So January 14th 2010 William was born with one lung. He was in very critical condition for weeks following, including being on life support for 4 days. He ended up developing other complications, but in the end everything went better. I moved back for work and they stayed in Cincinnati for another month. They returned finally in mid March and have been home since. As if taking care of an infant wasn't tough enough, now we see 5 different specialists for him and have appointments constantly. We have such great support from family and friends that it makes things a bit easier. We have decked him out in all sorts of Reds gear this season.

My hope is that my son William "Liam" Bowen will be an inspiration to the team. Now I know that may sound silly, but this is the best the old Redlegs have done in a long while. Maybe, just maybe the first in my family born in Cincy will give them that extra spark they needed ;)

Thanks for reading my (lengthy) story!

p.s. cbowen2112 is easy to explain. Chris Bowen-name/2112-Favorite Rush album

blark11
06-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey all. My name is Brian, and I'm 27 years old. I joined the site in late 2004 but have posted very rarely. However, I read the site multiple times each day. I became obsessed with the Reds in 1990 at the age of 7. My dad bought me the 700 wlw wire to wire cassette tape. I think I had the entire thing memorized. I've been hooked ever since. Barry Larkin has always been an idol of mine. I have quite the extensive collection of Larking memorabilia. They include hundreds of cards, buttons, wristbands, posters, plaques, autographs, and a whole host of other things. I went to his Reds Hall of Fame induction, and have always said if he makes it the Cooperstown I will be there as well.
Personally, I live in Richmond, Indiana. I graduated from Purdue University in 2005. When Robbie Hummel tore his ACL this past year I also felt like I tore my own. I'm used to having my sports teams fall apart year after year. I thought that team was different. Thankfully, they core of the team will be back for one more go round. A couple years ago I went back to get my teachers license. I received this a year ago, but have been unable to find work yet. I have been working as a teacher's aid instead.
I say this all the time, but I plan on posting more and becoming more involved on the site. It's good to meet everyone.

Brian

stevekun
06-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Hi everyone! I am Steve and I am a Pastor of a Nazarene church in a tiny town called New Harmony Indiana. New Harmony is a historic town that doesnt have the feel of normal small town Indiana. Its located 30 miles north of Evansville right in Cardinals Country....and yes I fly my Reds flag proudly here.

I joined Redszone in 2004 (before you had to ask for admitance in ORG) and have been here reading everyday and post once in a while. Its a fun place for sure.

I have been a reds fan all my life and grew up loving Barry Larkin. I would love the opportunity one day of meeting him. I usually make it to 2 games or so a year and am actually going this coming thursday to my first of this year.

I am also a big Louisville Fan, Bears fan, Blackhawks fan.

I am glad to be able to read all about you guys. Go Reds.

winks
06-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Hey Guys my name is Mike I'm 34 yo. I live in Se Ohio (a little town called crooksville) about 10 Miles South of Zanesville. I've been a Reds fan my whole life minus a few years for the Mets of the mid 80's. I still rooted fro the Reds though. Strawberry Doc Hojo. Those years. I am married to my HS sweetheart who is the funniest sweetest and most understanding person I know. She knows when the Reds are on I'm watching it and doesnt get upset. I also love the Dallas Cowboys, The Buckeyes and will root for any Ohio school in a big game.(UC, OU, Xavier,) I work in a factory in Heath ohio. It sucks but pays well. My all time favorite players are Pete Rose, Cal Ripken, Darryl Strawberry, Eric Davis, Don Mattingly to name a few. A few Reds faves Aaron Boone, Sean Casey, Pokie Reese, Barry Larkin, Dmitri Young, Dave Concepcion, Ron Oester on and on and on. Just about anyone that had or has the honor of wearing the Reds uniform. Go Reds

TheBigLebowski
06-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Hello, my name is Chris and I have been a Reds fan for 20 years now. Of course I am only 26. I have lived in Florida my whole life and used to live about 20 miles away from the Reds old Spring complex in Plant City. I started going to games with the Boys and Girls Club during spring camps and fell in love. Some in my family might say I rebelled against the Yankee love (they are all from NY) but I was just intrigued and once they were a good team the same year I started following them (Champs in 1990) that was it! I also support the Tampa Bay Rays because of the hometown thing, but never anything close to my feeling about the Reds.

When I was 18 my mother passed away and I was about to enter college. I know it seems strange but watching baseball helped me understand patience and got my mind off of more serious things in life. It was a great coping mechanism. I met my wife a few years later while we were in college (Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Fl) while we were in one of our music classes. We both had backgrounds in music, so that made it easy. She started teaching and still does. I went on to get my Masters in Percussion performance from USF. After that I got a job teaching music and band at a middle school in Okeechobee, Fl. Two weeks later my wife found a job right across the street (literally) at an elementary school. We have since bought a house last year and had our first son William. We call him Liam for short.

Speaking of Liam, he was born in Cincinnati (as if I needed another excuse to love the Reds!). He was diagnosed with a tumor on his right lung before he was born via ultrasound. We had to spend Christmas in Cincinnati alone, but my wife has family from Lima, so they were very supportive. We stayed in the Ronald McDonald house and would have visits for about a month until a surgery at birth was scheduled. The doctors tried to save what they could of the right lung, but to no avail. So January 14th 2010 William was born with one lung. He was in very critical condition for weeks following, including being on life support for 4 days. He ended up developing other complications, but in the end everything went better. I moved back for work and they stayed in Cincinnati for another month. They returned finally in mid March and have been home since. As if taking care of an infant wasn't tough enough, now we see 5 different specialists for him and have appointments constantly. We have such great support from family and friends that it makes things a bit easier. We have decked him out in all sorts of Reds gear this season.

My hope is that my son William "Liam" Bowen will be an inspiration to the team. Now I know that may sound silly, but this is the best the old Redlegs have done in a long while. Maybe, just maybe the first in my family born in Cincy will give them that extra spark they needed ;)

Thanks for reading my (lengthy) story!

p.s. cbowen2112 is easy to explain. Chris Bowen-name/2112-Favorite Rush album

You've got a tremendous attitude and outlook. I will definitely keep your family in my thoughts/prayers. One thing I'm certain you've noticed is that, while baseball is a nice pastime/hobby, there's simply so many things in life that can make it seem trivial.

cbowen2112
06-05-2010, 05:21 PM
You've got a tremendous attitude and outlook. I will definitely keep your family in my thoughts/prayers. One thing I'm certain you've noticed is that, while baseball is a nice pastime/hobby, there's simply so many things in life that can make it seem trivial.

Thanks Dude (pun intended)!

Sports are a trivial part of life, but when you are a fan of a game or team, it can almost make or break a day. I don't let too much get me down. Tough times are a part of life and I always look forward. Thanks again.

TheBigLebowski
06-05-2010, 05:32 PM
First of all, I neglected to provide my first name in my post...it's Thor and, no that is not a joke.

Secondly, not that any of you need it for validation but, because I started the thread, I feel a little guilty that I haven't been able to respond to all of you who have taken the time to share a little bit about yourself. I will say that I am amazed at all the cool stories you all have and I am very glad I started this thread (with respect to Benihana of the ORG, from whom I stole the idea) so we could learn a bit about each other. Some of you have told some really, really cool stories or have really cool backgrounds...others have some serious personal or family issues that obviously supersede the importance of the outcome of a baseball game.

Anyway, I hope people continue to respond to what I think has become a really cool thread. And, if there was an over/under as to how many times an unintelligent slug of a man could use the term "really cool," I certainly hope you all took the over.

sabometrics
06-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Michael. 22 y.o. In school. Wore rec specs and the number 17 as a kid, though I never got to watch the man whose likeness I was given by the delighted parents on my knothole team.

Favorite Reds include Barry Larkin and Aaron Boone (who I actually saw play in the #17 and identified with, playing 3B and MI myself). Favorite bands include Rage Against the Machine (you may have heard "Renegades of Funk" at the ball park), The Flaming Lips, The Arcade Fire (the NFL used "Wake Up" in one of their Super Bowl ads), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, White Stripes, Gorillaz, and many many more.

Griffey012
06-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Michael. 22 y.o. In school. Wore rec specs and the number 17 as a kid, though I never got to watch the man whose likeness I was given by the delighted parents on my knothole team.

Favorite Reds include Barry Larkin and Aaron Boone (who I actually saw play in the #17 and identified with, playing 3B and MI myself). Favorite bands include Rage Against the Machine (you may have heard "Renegades of Funk" at the ball park), The Flaming Lips, The Arcade Fire (the NFL used "Wake Up" in one of their Super Bowl ads), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, White Stripes, Gorillaz, and many many more.

I also wore Rec Specs as a kid! :beerme:

Reds
06-05-2010, 06:51 PM
My fave movie should be obvious, Dude.

:notworthy: - I watched it last night, for about the 1000th time.

Me, I'm 23, born in Hamilton, Ohio and live in central North Carolina. My favorite red would probably be Dimitri Young. Maybe Larkin, as a kid I'd play ball and I'd try and use the hop that Barry had when he ranged to his right side, where he would get the ball, hop up, and propel it to first all in one motion - sweetness.

The Voice of IH
06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I was born and raised here in Cincinnati. I do not remember my first baseball game, the Reds have been a part of my life forever. I owe my love of baseball to my father, but owe my love for the Reds to my mother (who has since past).

The first 8 or 9 years of my life was growing up in a bad neighbor hood, with a lot of low income families (including mine). My father did not stand for this long though, after my mother died, he moved me and my bother to the Indian Hill school district. I will never know how he afforded it, but the man gave me an American Dream because of it.

I have just graduated Indian Hill High School (yesterday :beerme:) and will be going to the University of Akron where I will not only study Mass Media (Radio/TV), but also wave the Red flag to all the Cleveland junkies that reside there.

Natty Redlocks
06-05-2010, 11:46 PM
This is the story about how a damn dirty Cubs fan wound up a Reds fan. Bear with me.

1966 -- I am born. South side of Chicago, which, you may be aware, is the baddest part of town.

1979 -- I consider myself a Cubs fan, though I really just watch to see if Dave Kingman will hit a home run. I choose the Cubs because they are on WGN and the White Sox are on a crappy UHF station.

1984 -- I jump on the Sandberg/ Sutcliffe bandwagon. I hate Harry Caray. I upgrade my fan status to Die Hard, which means I watch every game, even if I have to tape it, and if you try to talk to me about a game I haven't watched yet, I will eat your gerbil.

1989 -- After another playoff disappointment, I decide I have better things to do. I downgrade my fan status to Casual.

1992 -- The Cubs decide they don't really need Greg Maddux. I decide I don't need them. I downgrade my fan status to Who Gives A Crap. I literally stop following baseball altogether. I am about to start a family and be all responsible and everything, so I think of it as kid stuff anyway.

1998 -- A moment of weakness. Caught up in the McGwire/ Sosa hype, I watch a few innings. I see Sosa hit, like, #58 or something. I go back to my life.

2003 -- I am hearing rumors. The Cubs have won their division. The Cubs have really good pitching. The Cubs have won a playoff series(!) They're up 3 games to 2 in the NLCS, heading to Wrigley with their best two pitchers in line to start. They are probably going to the World Series(!)

I snap. Not without me, they're not. This I gotta see.

That's right. After ten years of no baseball, my first game back is the Bartman Game.

Hey, their pitching IS pretty good, I'm thinking. Hey, they're getting timely hitting, I'm thinking. Hey, they're only four outs away from--

Then, of course, Moises Alou has a little hissy fit. And then, Dusty Baker's voodoo curse takes effect and Prior's arm falls off.
Oh, yes. Now I remember. It's the Cubs. I giggle at the knowledge that I haven't wasted the past ten years, after all. I also watch game 7, knowing full well, just like every Cub fan did, what the outcome would be. I have every intention of going back to my life and forgetting the whole thing.

2004 -- The Cubs, already considered favorites, are having a really good offseason. Derrek Lee. Todd Walker. LaTroy Hawkins. The only real question mark going into Spring Training is who will be the fifth starter in this oh-so-dominant rotation?

That would be a Mr. Greg Maddux. Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in. And, it turns out, this whole internet thing makes baseball WAY MORE FUN. I gradually upgrade my fan status back to Die Hard.

Meanwhile, I've moved away from the Chicago area and am living in Indiana, less than an hour from Cincinnati. I am a letter carrier for the United States Postal Service. I listen to WLW all the time and absorb Reds info regularly, whether I like it or not. Now as a baseball fan again, I begin paying attention, and start following the Reds as a secondary team, though I do not actually root for them yet. Mostly I covet their players. I spend much of the 2005 season coming up with wacky trade ideas, mostly involving Dunn and Freel. I would have given up Wood and Prior for them, since I realized early on that Dusty Baker was sent by Satan to torture Cubs fans and they were never ever going to be good again.

2006 -- Wood and Prior are down again. Derrek Lee breaks his wrist. The Cubs are out of it early. Meanwhile, Castellini has taken over the Reds. He's saying all the right things. He hires Wayne Krivsky, who spends the next three months convincing everyone he's a genius. Wily Mo for Arroyo. Hatteberg, Ross, and Phillips for nothing. The Cubs are in the toilet, and the Reds look like the real deal. I'm supposed to spend my summer being faithful to my team? I agonize over the decision for, like, twelve minutes. I rationalize that if the Cubs lose enough, they will be rid of Dusty Baker forever. I make the conscious decision to root against the Cubs and for the Reds, just for this year.

I look for a messageboard that would be the Reds equivalent of Northside Baseball, the Cubs board I mostly lurk at. I find Redszone, which is significantly better, and I'm not just saying that. The a-hole quotient is so much lower here. I choose a really dumb user name. I begin submitting Reds-related song parodies. Most people ignore them, but the ones that don't usually seem to like them. Even though the 06 team tanks, I really enjoy being a Reds fan.

Meanwhile, the Cubs do indeed part ways with the Evil Dusty Baker. Then they spend a buttload of money on good but not great players. I decide I will just follow both teams.

October 13th, 2007 -- Dusty Baker is hired as manager of the Cincinnati Reds. I am displeased.

Okay, you get the idea. Right now, the Reds are good and the Cubs aren't, so I obsess over the Reds and am indifferent to the Cubs (unless they're playing St. Louis). I reserve the right to switch back, because technically it's not impossible for the Chicago Cubs to win the World Series. I think one-way loyalty is a foolish proposition. I look at sports teams the same way I look at movies or TV shows: if they're entertaining, I'm in. But I am not going to remain blindly faithful to an organization (or players) that don't know I exist and wouldn't give a crap if they did know.

I like Redszone a lot; it's my favorite sports site. I mostly read rather than post, and I haven't written a song parody in a long time. I also like walking my dog, watching Simpsons reruns with my kids, and scratching my wife's back.
I like any kind of music, as long as it's catchy. I will walk around delivering mail listening to Lady Gaga on my iPod and I'm not ashamed about it one bit.

Finally, I've read every single bio that appears before mine, and think this is a great idea for a thread. If you've read this whole thing, then holy crap, thanks. And the Dude who started this thread should not feel the need to respond to every one, or even any of them (IMO). Okay, I gotta go now. Thanks.

shan12stones
06-06-2010, 12:20 AM
hi i'm shannon been a reds fan since 1986.i live in il near stl.cards fans are always giving me a hard time about being a reds fan.i see the reds a lot at busch stadium.saw the reds 6 times this year so far.seeing them 3 more times in september.earlier when the reds where in stl i had my picture taken with several reds players and got a few autographs.i am 39 years old turn 40 on august 21st.

Vottomatic
06-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Speaking of movies, anyone seen the following ones:
Role Models
Miss March
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Some funny stuff in those movies. I can't even repeat some of the funniest lines.

TheBigLebowski
06-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Speaking of movies, anyone seen the following ones:
Role Models
Miss March
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Some funny stuff in those movies. I can't even repeat some of the funniest lines.

I did see Forgetting Sarah Marshall...I enjoyed it somewhat, but it came off as more of a romantic comedy than I expected.

bounty37h
06-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Awesome, all I gotta say, awesome.

bounty37h
06-08-2010, 03:54 PM
My name is Scott, 35 years old (36 in Aug) and live in a small town called Pittsboro, right outside Chapel Hill NC. My family is originally from Ohio; Findlay and Tiffin are 2 towns they mention a lot-I have never lived in NC, as they moved here before i was born. My dad went to Ohio Northern, and mom went to Whittenburg (SP?). My pops introduced me to baseball as a game, then showed me the history and rest that make it the greatest in the world IMO. He is a huge Tigers fan, as he grew up there as a boy, and encouraged me to find a team to follow, a team with history, so I chose the Reds cause of fmaily background, and thought Johnny Bench wearing that catchers gear was the coolest thing of all time (I became a catcher cause of him and that). My dad and I used to take yearly trips to FL for spring training, were at the final game of the 84 series, Benchs HOF induction in Cooperstown, and many, many more Durham Bulls game and my own games, as he coached me most years.
I graduated from UNC-Pembroke in 2000 (after an 8 year college career-yes, I had a LOT of fun) with a degree in Social work, and have worked with troubled youth since then. I got married in 2006, and its working out great, we are working on renovating our dream home together now.
I was in Bull Durham as an extra (one of the little league kids who "caught" money dropping from the sky. I have had great opportunities to play with many good palyers, adn ahve enjoyed seeing so many future stars at the Durham Bulls games, where I get my baseball fix with no closer MLB team.

krm1580
06-08-2010, 04:38 PM
My name is Kevin, I am 42 was born and raised in Cincinnati in the Mt Washington section and currently live in near Philadelphia.

I have been a Reds fans my entire life. I can remember countless hours spent listening to Reds games on the radio in the back of the Caprice Estate wagon rolling all over the state of Ohio as my parent seemed to constantly be shoppng for furniture to support a growing family. I remember actually feeling bad for some of the teams the Reds would repeatedly stomp back then. Ah the naivete of youth.

I remember watching the 1975 World Series and my parents sent me to bed in the 4th inning but promised to wake me up to watch the celebration when they won. Much to my horror I was woken in what was supposed to be the last 3 outs, only to watch Carlton Fisk jack his HR and break my heart. Fortunately the activity was repeated a few nights later and I got to watch the last 3 outs of game 7. In 1976 it was pretty much the same deal. I remember my Mom taking us on the Metro bus downtown to watch the parade and celebration at Fountain Square.

My father worked in the city and in the summer when school was out, we would take the bus to the city to meet him. He always knew the hotels the opposing team was staying in and the restaurants they would frequent and as a result I got to meet a lot of players from the 70s. Willie Stargell, Bill Madlock, Ron Cey, Jimmy Wynn, etc. I got a lot of autographs back then. The other thing I can recall is the Reds players used to always make public autograph appearances whether it was a new car dealer opening or a shoestore. I met pretty much every member of the BRM over the year. Jack Billingham, George Foster and Tony Perez I can remember being incredibly nice. Pete Rose I remember thinking was a complete jerk.

The first game I went to was the Knothole game. It was an exhibition game played every year in mid season between the Reds and the Tigers. I believe some of the proceeds from the game went to support the Knothole little league. Because of that the Tigers were always the team I pulled for in the AL.

In the 80s I moved to northern NJ into New York markets. The Yankees sucked and the Mets ruled the roost. My neighbor had season tickets to the Mets and used to give me the tickets when the Reds were in town. I got to see a couple of Mario Soto, Dwight Gooden duels which rarely went well. I got to see what I belive was Eric Davis' first career HR.

I continue to be a huge Reds fan to this day. I am married now with a 3 year old daughter. My wife does not get my love for the Reds but she thinks its cute "in a disturbed sort of way" and buys some occasional Reds gear for my daughter.

COM2010
06-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm in my late 30's and going through divorce. I also have a little boy, unfortunately for him he's stuck in the middle of this. :(

Because of divorce (and wanting to be a real part of my son's life) I have been forced to move to Massachusetts. It's not all bad here, but a very expensive state to live in.

I have been a Reds fan since the 80's, and used to really get into collecting baseball cards. Because of all the Bryce Harper hype I've been thinking of getting back into it. Probably just Topps, there are WAY too many choices out there and I want to keep it simple. Chris Sabo was my favorite player back in the day, quirks and all. :D

Vottomatic
06-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm in my late 30's and going through divorce. I also have a little boy, unfortunately for him he's stuck in the middle of this. :(

Because of divorce (and wanting to be a real part of my son's life) I have been forced to move to Massachusetts. It's not all bad here, but a very expensive state to live in.

I have been a Reds fan since the 80's, and used to really get into collecting baseball cards. Because of all the Bryce Harper hype I've been thinking of getting back into it. Probably just Topps, there are WAY too many choices out there and I want to keep it simple. Chris Sabo was my favorite player back in the day, quirks and all. :D

Divorce sucks. I got divorced August 19, 2005. Was depressed for about 3 years.

I got 2 teenage daughters. My oldest is severely affected by it. My youngest either is in denial or hides it really well.

Good luck to you. It gets better. :thumbup:

mikemo14
06-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Born in 1964 in Marietta Ohio, my dad took me to my first ballgame when I was about 6. It was the Indians and orioles and Boog Powell about took my head off with a line drive down the right field line. That night lit a match and I have been a fan for life. Back then the only games covered on TV were Saturday afternoons and occasionally a Monday night game. I barely remember the World Series of 70,71&72 but do remember like it was yesterday a spring day in 1973. I was practicing my pitching on the old mesh screen pitching tool that would automatically shoot your pitch back to you, chewing a pack of fruit Stripe bubblegum and listening to my local radio station when the station interrupted its regulasr programming to bring coverage of the opening Spring Training Cincinnati Reds game. However it was not Al Michaels broadcasting, it was a new announcer by the name of Marty Brennaman. There was something fascinating about his broadcast and listening to him and Joe Nuxhall I was forever hooked on Reds baseball. 37 years later I still listen or watch every game that I can, sometimes driving my wife and teenage daughter crazy, but would not trade any of the great Reds memories thru the year.

Coming home from school in 73 to see Henry Aarons 714. (Martys first game)

Coming home in october 73 to find Pete and Bud harrelson fighting at second.

The majic of the 75-75 seasons. Other than Rose my favorite player was Ed Armbrister.

The anger at Dick Wagner for trading Perez, then letting Pete and Joe go as free agents.

The surprise of 79. i still hate the song We Are Family

The lean years of the early 80s. Dann Bilardello was my favorite for awhile.

The grand return of Pete in the mid 80s

Eric Davis and that group of talent in the late eighties.

Petes suspension. Untill someone proves to me that he threw a game, I still believe he should be in the hall of fame.

The 90s surprise World Series winner. Loved Lou Pinella. i knew the minute Davis homered in the first that we would win.

Kevin Mitchell in the early 90s

The 95 playoff year. Quote Marty in the playoffs. "You cant swing a bat any worse than reggie Sanders is right now!"

Another surprise in 99. A fun team to follow.

The Griffey deal. If griffey would have lived up to his end of the bargain. Jim Bowden would not be so hated!

The expectation of the new stadium with Adam Dunn Casey, Griffey.
I really thought that team would produce the next title. I thought Dunn was going to be the next Larry Walker not Dave Kingman.

2007 When Nuxhall passed it felt like losing a family member.

Present. I truly feel that this current team with Walt Jocketty making the decisions has the best chance to be good now and for several years to come.