PDA

View Full Version : RIP to Some Great TV

TheBigLebowski
06-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Over the past 2 years, all my favorite shows have ended, and there just doesn't seem like anything else on now that I can invest myself in.

Loved The Sopranos. Hated the ending. Hated the whole final season, actually.

The Wire was the best TV show ever made. I was waiting for Lost to end before I made that declaration but I feel comfortable making that call now.

Lost was just an awesome show. Had some issues with the final season and the series finale but the show as a whole was just captivating.

24 was always a satisfying watch. Liked the finale and I am intrigued by the rumors spreading about a movie, although I am not that excited about the prospect of spending 24 hours in a movie theater.

Only shows left on TV that I make it a point to watch are Man vs Food, Chopped and Hell's Kitchen. The Office has completely jumped the shark and there are no drama/action shows that capture my interest.

Guess I have no excuse anymore not to spend more time reading and/or studying, and playing the guitar.

Brutus
06-05-2010, 02:08 PM
It seems like every 5-10 years we reach a new generation of TV shows. It does feel like we're again at that point in time.

I didn't see Sopranos when it was going - seems to be a common theme for me - but I too wasn't crazy about the ending. Then again, I understand it.

These days, with so many reality shows, it's hard for me to get into television. I regret not getting into Lost much sooner because it turns out to be one of my favorite shows ever. I really don't like too many shows. I still love Big Bang Theory as probably the only real sitcom I appreciate these days. Can't say there's much else for me.

klw
06-05-2010, 03:16 PM
The only series I have left next season that I have watched regularly will be Chuck.

Reds4Life
06-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Justified on FX has been pretty good.

TheBigLebowski
06-05-2010, 06:44 PM
It seems like every 5-10 years we reach a new generation of TV shows. It does feel like we're again at that point in time.

I didn't see Sopranos when it was going - seems to be a common theme for me - but I too wasn't crazy about the ending. Then again, I understand it.

These days, with so many reality shows, it's hard for me to get into television. I regret not getting into Lost much sooner because it turns out to be one of my favorite shows ever. I really don't like too many shows. I still love Big Bang Theory as probably the only real sitcom I appreciate these days. Can't say there's much else for me.

Reality shows blow, and they are anything but. The ex watches every "reality" show on TV. Problem is, if Bret Michaels truly ever found love on "Rock of Love," there could be no subsequent season. I won't even comment on that crazy Flavor Flav show.

I will admit that I passively keep up with "Survivor," only because I know that the winner shouldn't have any effect on the next season. The producers usually have to generate a brand new cast.

It's a shame you don't live near me, because I would lend you the entire series of The Wire as I have all of it on DVD. Check it out when you get some time. You won't regret it.

Tom Servo
06-05-2010, 07:39 PM
I miss The Shield.

TRF
06-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I like the short season shows. Burn Notice, Psych, Leverage, In Plain Sight.

Tony Cloninger
06-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I miss the Shield too but just like it seems all endings are....they leave less than fulfilled. It is tough to close out any show. The way they terminated Law & Order was criminal. I like The Closer....but there does not seem much else out there. CSI is really circling the drain....running out of steam.

In the last 5 years....
The Sopranos
6 Feet Under
The Shield
The Wire
Law & Order
Lost
ER

All my favorite shows besides The Office, 30 Rock and CSI...gone.

guttle11
06-05-2010, 09:17 PM
The only series I have left next season that I have watched regularly will be Chuck.

And that will probably be gone after next year, too. NBC will only give it so much time, and that sponsorship with Subway will only last so long.

GAC
06-05-2010, 10:16 PM
I miss the half-hour sitcoms.

RBA
06-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I miss Matlock

FutureRedsGM
06-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Justified on FX has been pretty good.

Another FX program, Sons of Anarchy, is on my new favorites list. I would also add Breaking Bad to that list.

macro
06-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I miss the half-hour sitcoms.

CBS has a decent lineup of those on Monday nights. Big Bang Theory takes a few episodes to grow on you, but I'm really starting to like it.

jhc2010
06-05-2010, 11:27 PM
I miss the half-hour sitcoms.You can find 6 of them every week on CBS with live audiences and three cameras like they should have.

Why does it seem like the cameramen on The Office or any NBC comedy are having seizures while trying to hold the camera still?

Joseph
06-05-2010, 11:34 PM
There are still a ton of great dramas on TV these days, however not as many reside on 'free' TV and the major networks.

Justified
Rescue Me
Mad Men
Breaking Bad

With Lost gone I can't think of a single drama I watch on network TV anymore.

Will M
06-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Big Bang Theory is a great show. If you are a nerd or know nerds well you will laugh a lot. Basically its four nerds & one beautiful normal girl. its especially funny when the uber nerd Sheldon interacts with the normal girl Penny.

I work 2nd shift. I have become addicted to the late late show with Craig Ferguson. low budget. anti establishment. goofy. Craig doesn't try to be 'cool' like so many TV hosts.

I watch a few sci fi shows: Merlin, Warehouse 13 & Eureka.

thats about it. if i didn't watch the Reds i'd consider cancelling my cable.

pahster
06-06-2010, 01:14 AM
No love for Fringe?

Redsfaithful
06-06-2010, 02:58 AM
Try Mad Men and Friday Night Lights. Mad Men is probably the best show since The Wire. Breaking Bad is supposed to be fantastic also, I just haven't had the chance to check it out yet, at some point I will get the earlier seasons and get caught up. Dexter also isn't a bad show, although it's not at the level of a Mad Men / The Wire/ The Sopranos.

I'm pretty much off of network TV now that Lost is over. I avoided Lost for a lot of years because I just found it so hard to believe a network show could actually be good. I'm not holding my breath for another network show to be half as good anytime soon.

Razor Shines
06-06-2010, 03:08 AM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. The best show on TV. If you haven't seen it you can catch up, they show 4 episodes every Monday on Comedy Central. Watch a couple episodes and if you don't like it...well then you shouldn't be watching TV anyway.

yab1112
06-06-2010, 03:52 AM
The way they terminated Law & Order was criminal.

:cool:

A couple of shows I just started watching:

The Sopranos from the beginning (never seen an episode) and frankly I don't think it's that great...I must be missing something. Overall, the show seems pretty uneventful. Party Down - Every episode a whole new environment/setting, keeps the show fresh. Breaking Bad - Haven't caught up on the 3rd season yet but read it's even better than the 1st and 2nd.

As for network TV, I watch all the NBC Thursday night shows: The Office, Community (favorite new show), Parks and Rec and 30 Rock, as well as Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother.

I have a hard time quitting shows even after they've jumped the shark (I'm looking at you Office and HIMYM!)

Yachtzee
06-06-2010, 06:41 AM
With Lost gone I can't think of a single drama I watch on network TV anymore.

It seems like a lot of dramas on network TV are either franchise shows (CSI and the like) or nighttime soaps. I hate soaps.

LoganBuck
06-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Happy Town has/had potential, but they mangled the first several episodes so badly with poor writing, that it is probably doomed.

Reds
06-06-2010, 08:39 AM
If you're not watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia you're missing one hell of show. Curb Your Enthusiasm is coming back.. sometime. Ugly Americans seemed decent over the first 6-7 episode run. I miss Arrested Development. I miss Trailer Park Boys. I enjoyed the Sopranos, but don't miss it.

I miss the Office. the new one is no substitute.

SunDeck
06-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I've tried to watch Breaking Bad, but it's such a sick topic that I can't stomach it. I like comedy better, but sadly there isn't much, although 30 Rock can be worth it just to watch Alec Baldwin. He is hilarious.

_Sir_Charles_
06-06-2010, 10:48 AM
I haven't really watched a tv show regularly since The West Wing. That's the one I miss the most.

TheBigLebowski
06-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I haven't really watched a tv show regularly since The West Wing. That's the one I miss the most.

I was never a great fan of TWW, but I thoroughly enjoyed another Aaron Sorkin product - Sports Night. One of the most unappreciated shows ever.

GAC
06-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I watch a lot of TV Land reruns and Encore Western Channel.

Joseph
06-06-2010, 12:25 PM
It seems like a lot of dramas on network TV are either franchise shows (CSI and the like) or nighttime soaps. I hate soaps.

Agreed. I mean how man CSI's or NCIS's or Law and Orders can you need?

Happy Town has/had potential, but they mangled the first several episodes so badly with poor writing, that it is probably doomed.

I watched and think I might have grown to like it, but I'm 99% sure I read that it's already been canceled/not renenewed.

TheBigLebowski
06-06-2010, 12:51 PM
"Flash Forward" had some potential to be a Lost-type show and I did enjoy what I saw of it, but it's sadly already been cancelled.

The producers of The Wire are making another HBO show....I can't remember what it's called, but it looks really good. They've even brought some of the same actors from The Wire.

I neglected to mention in my initial post that, my other favorite show, Flight of the Conchords, is not being brought back from what I hear.

yab1112
06-06-2010, 12:54 PM
I neglected to mention in my initial post that, my other favorite show, Flight of the Conchords, is not being brought back from what I hear.

Yea, sad news. Season 1 was amazing IMO but season 2 wasn't so great.

LoganBuck
06-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Agreed. I mean how man CSI's or NCIS's or Law and Orders can you need?

I watched and think I might have grown to like it, but I'm 99% sure I read that it's already been canceled/not renenewed.

Yep it is canceled, but ABC has said that they will reveal who the Magic Man is.

macro
06-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Big Bang Theory is a great show. If you are a nerd or know nerds well you will laugh a lot. Basically its four nerds & one beautiful normal girl. its especially funny when the uber nerd Sheldon interacts with the normal girl Penny.

I'm still shocked to realize that Sheldon and Penny are an item. This could never happen in real life, right?

Thanks for the heads-up, Joe. We had four episodes of Happy Town cued up on the DVR for future viewing, but now that I've confirmed your claim on the Web, I'm going to delete them. No sense wasting four hours on a dead end.

LoganBuck
06-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm still shocked to realize that Sheldon and Penny are an item. This could never happen in real life, right?

Thanks for the heads-up, Joe. We had four episodes of Happy Town cued up on the DVR for future viewing, but now that I've confirmed your claim on the Web, I'm going to delete them. No sense wasting four hours on a dead end.

They are supposed to resolve the story line. Unlike other ABC mystery dramas they are going to resolve this one.

Homer Bailey
06-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I would highly suggest Modern Family. I think it's absolutely hilarious.

I'm also starting to get into How I Met Your Mother, once I understood what the premise was.

Mad Men is also a fantastic show.

RBA
06-06-2010, 07:38 PM
I'll second Modern Family. It's a good show.

RichRed
06-06-2010, 08:43 PM
"Modern Family" is good stuff. I also think "Community" is pretty darn funny.

"The Wire" was stunningly good and I really enjoy "Breaking Bad," although it's not exactly uplifting. Bryan Cranston is terrific in it.

GoReds
06-06-2010, 11:08 PM

Sheldon and Penny are not an item. I think you are thinking of Leonard and Penny.

Great show, but the third season is not nearly what the first two were.

freestyle55
06-07-2010, 12:18 AM
I'll third Justified, it's definitely my favorite new show, although this week's episode is the season finale...

It's cheezy game show stuff, but I love watching idiots crash and burn on Wipeout...

macro
06-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Sheldon and Penny are not an item. I think you are thinking of Leonard and Penny.

Great show, but the third season is not nearly what the first two were.

Oops, you're right. Same point applies, though. :)

Reds Fanatic
06-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Breaking Bad is a fantastic show. Probably the best show on TV since The Wire.

macro
06-07-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm also starting to get into How I Met Your Mother, once I understood what the premise was.

Loved that show until Robin and Barney hooked up. It may just be me, but the show jumped the shark with that move, and I didn't like them together. Haven't watched it since.

But there was a time when I loved it. The "Slapsgiving" episode was hilarious.

Roy Tucker
06-07-2010, 12:24 AM
"The Middle", "Modern Family", and "The Big Bang Theory" are all great 1/2 hour comedies.

"The Good Wife" is a very good hour drama with a great ensemble cast and multi-layered plots.

"Justified" is good, but its season wasn't quite long enough to gather a real head of steam.

And I'll have to turn in my man card, but I really liked "Glee" this season.

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Oops, you're right. Same point applies, though. :)

It actually could and has happened. I have seen it happen. Very weird to witness.

TheBigLebowski
06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Lots of positivity on this thread about Breaking Bad. I guess I'll check it out.

Mario-Rijo
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Tough crowd or perhaps I am easily entertained. I watch a ton of shows when I have the time.

Criminal Minds
Lie To me
Survivor
CSI (less since Grissom left and Warrick was gunned down, if Brass and/or Nick go I'm done)
White Collar
Leverage
Burn Notice
Supernatural
Man Tracker
Survivor Man (though they don't make it anymore it's still interesting)
Man vs. Food
NCIS (from time to time)

And I like some of the reality stuff as well like Survivor above and the Ultimate Fighter on spike and the Real World/Road Rules challenges on MTV.

The one that got Cancelled that I really liked was Raising the Bar on TNT with Saved by the Bells Mark Paul Gossilier (Zach). Haven't had an opportunity to fit Justified in there but been meaning too I like Tim Olyphant especially when he was in Deadwood.

Have a tough time finding a good sitcom anymore, every once in a while I watch the George Lopez show in syndication, also watch reruns of Seinfeld (never watched it in primetime in it's heyday), Everybody loves Raymond and my favorite sitcom in recent memory King of Queens. The Office is ok sometimes as well.

RichRed
06-07-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm a rabid reality-TV hater but I make an exception for "Deadliest Catch" and I have to admit, my wife and I are hooked on "Biggest Loser."

I don't really get the love for "Big Bang Theory." I think it's ok but the only funny thing about it to me is the Sheldon character. Reminds me a bit of "All in the Family" in that if it was a non-Archie episode, it was brutal to watch.

Oxilon
06-07-2010, 10:42 AM
No mention of True Blood? And I forgot the name, but there's a new show coming to HBO about Atlantic City during the Prohibition era that looks real good.

ThornWithin81
06-07-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm a big fan of both Justified and Sons of Anarchy. I'm running out of shows otherwise... which is probably not the worst thing in the world.

Redsfaithful
06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I keep meaning to give Sons of Anarchy a try, I've heard good things about it.

BuckeyeRed27
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
My favorite shows right now are Friday Night Lights, Sons, Fringe, Mad Men, Big Bang, How I Met Your Mother, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock and Glee.

The first three on that list are way out in front though. FNL was so good this week. Zach Guilford was amazing.

LoganBuck
06-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I keep meaning to give Sons of Anarchy a try, I've heard good things about it.

Better grab the DVDs beforehand, way too much backstory to come to the party late. The new season starts in September.

Homer Bailey
06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Also, Tosh.0 on Comedy Central is a must see IMO. It's basically Talk Soup with just internet clips. Hysterical.

TheBigLebowski
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Also, Tosh.0 on Comedy Central is a must see IMO. It's basically Talk Soup with just internet clips. Hysterical.

That is a funny show. I love the second chances he gives the internet "celebs."

Strangely enough, I don't get much from his normal standup.

Redsfaithful
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Better grab the DVDs beforehand, way too much backstory to come to the party late. The new season starts in September.

Oh yeah no doubt, wouldn't dream of trying to come in late. Might have to make it a goal to get it watched by September, wife and I barely have anything to watch lately it seems like.

COM2010
06-07-2010, 05:27 PM
I miss Crank Yankers. "Yayyyy I've got mail....Yaaayyyy"

Razor Shines
06-07-2010, 08:16 PM

Yes. Probably my second favorite show. I can't wait to see D Tosh when he comes to Austin.

Homer Bailey
06-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Yes. Probably my second favorite show. I can't wait to see D Tosh when he comes to Austin.

He's great in person. I saw him front row in Columbus a few years back. Hysterical.

macro
06-07-2010, 11:38 PM
I like "Important Things With Demetri Martin" on Comedy Central.

freestyle55
06-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Saw a little bit of Persons Unknown last night on NBC, seems interesting...

Unassisted
06-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I miss Crank Yankers. "Yayyyy I've got mail....Yaaayyyy"
All three seasons of it are on Netflix Instant Viewing. :thumbup:

Ghosts of 1990
06-11-2010, 01:30 AM
I'll miss Nip/Tuck.

The 3rd to last episode with the guys cruisin home from the desert with The Cars "Drive" coming on the radio was one of the best scenes ever.

YouTube - Nip Tuck S07E05 The Cars - Drive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZdMGTKmbiA)

FutureRedsGM
06-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Just finished watching the season finale of Breaking Bad. WOW!!!

On a semi-related note, the sneak peak of the new AMC series Rubicon that was shown after Breaking Bad was very interesting as well.

BoydsOfSummer
06-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Anyone watch 'Nurse Jackie' on Showtime? That's an outstanding dramedy series. That gal that plays the "new" nurse Zoey deserves an Emmy and I think I love her.

RedRoser
06-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Love Friday Night Lights! Loved LOST and will miss it! Loved October Road but it was cancelled a while back. :cry:

Also miss Coach, which was a hilarious sitcom, and Wonder Years, and probably others I can't think of at the moment!

Homer Bailey
08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I've recently watched the first two episodes of Breaking Bad. I've never been more convinced after two episodes that a show is going to be great. The pilot was absolutely amazing.

Just caught up on HIMYM. The "Perfect Week" episode was absolutely awesome.

Reds Fanatic
08-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I've recently watched the first two episodes of Breaking Bad. I've never been more convinced after two episodes that a show is going to be great. The pilot was absolutely amazing.

Breaking Bad I think is the best show on television right now. It was good from the start and every year has kept getting better. The 3rd season which ended in June was great.

RBA
08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Next season Breaking Bad won't start unil mid summer 2011.

aubashbrother
08-06-2010, 01:24 AM
I miss my old favorites.

The Adventures of Pete and Pete
Are You Afraid of The Dark
Camp Anawanna
and my all time favorite that doesnt come on tv anymore

Boy Meets World

I love Topanga :)

Razor Shines
08-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Boy Meets World

I love Topanga :)

http://www.mystyle.com/mystyle/shows/thedish/index.jsp My wife watches this show.

TRF
08-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Anyone remember Ned and Stacy?

In one episode, Ned was watching surgical videos. A liver transplant, open heart surger, and a very special boy meets world.

GIK
08-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I think there's some good stuff on these days...

True Blood, Hung, Entourage, Mad Men (my Sunday nights are busy!), Rescue Me, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Psych, 30 Rock...and, yes, Smallville. :)

BuckeyeRed27
08-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Louie on FX is hilarious.

Johnny Footstool
08-06-2010, 09:58 PM

Agreed. Very dark, cynical comedy.

Redsfaithful
08-08-2010, 03:37 AM
The last episode of Louie with his "mother" was honestly genius.

Anyone watching Rubicon?

TheNext44
08-08-2010, 06:00 AM

Louie CK is next great comic legand. The guy is brilliant.

Unassisted
08-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Watched the first 3 episodes of Louie and gave it up after that. Each episode yielded a chuckle or two, but I just didn't find it funny enough to be worth continuing.

Johnny Footstool
08-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Watched the first 3 episodes of Louie and gave it up after that. Each episode yielded a chuckle or two, but I just didn't find it funny enough to be worth continuing.

It's a niche show, to be sure. Not for everyone.

Johnny Footstool
08-09-2010, 03:45 PM
The last episode of Louie with his "mother" was honestly genius.

Finally saw that one -- wow!

"Girls, say hi to your grandmother."

"Hi, grandma." *shakes grandma's hand*

RadfordVA
08-12-2010, 03:25 PM

I agree. Im a huge fan of the guy but some of the shows, there have been literally zero laughs from me. Very hit and miss. However part with Ricky Gervais is one of funniest scenes ive ever watched.

If you like comedies you might wanna check out some of the stuff on BBC. Peep Show and Inbetweeners are pretty damn funny. For a reference point my other favorite comedies are Modern Family, Arrested Development, Office, Parks and Recreation. So if you like some of those shows you definitely wanna give Peep Show a chance.

code
08-12-2010, 04:33 PM
atleast House.md is still on!

reds1869
08-12-2010, 09:38 PM
If you like comedies you might wanna check out some of the stuff on BBC. Peep Show and Inbetweeners are pretty damn funny.

Inbetweeners is an excellent show. I haven't seen Peep Show but will now have to check it out, thanks for the heads up.

Redsfaithful
08-13-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm not even sure Louie is always meant to be funny. It seems experimental to me, so I'm pretty forgiving with the misses.

Razor Shines
08-13-2010, 03:50 AM
I'm not even sure Louie is always meant to be funny. It seems experimental to me, so I'm pretty forgiving with the misses.

Yeah. I listened to an interview with Louis and he said that basically FX lets him do whatever he wants. He just turns in the episodes and they leave him alone. He said he changed the girl who played his daughter without even telling them and they never asked about it. I don't know how much of that is him just being funny, but I agree I don't think he's always trying to be funny with the show.

RichRed
08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Inbetweeners is an excellent show.

I agree. Funny, raunchy and British - the trifecta.

TheBigLebowski
08-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I think I am going to start watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia....seems like everyone who watches it enjoys it. I need a new show.

RichRed
08-13-2010, 01:56 PM
I think I am going to start watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia....seems like everyone who watches it enjoys it. I need a new show.

I feel like I'm missing something. A lot of people I trust on stuff like this, including some on this site, have talked about what a great show this is - and I just don't see it. I've only seen a handful of episodes and I thought it was OK but I just didn't laugh that much. Maybe I need to see some of the more recent episodes.

Johnny Footstool
08-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I feel like I'm missing something. A lot of people I trust on stuff like this, including some on this site, have talked about what a great show this is - and I just don't see it. I've only seen a handful of episodes and I thought it was OK but I just didn't laugh that much. Maybe I need to see some of the more recent episodes.

Agreed. It just doesn't click for me, either.

Neither did Seinfeld.

RichRed
08-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Neither did Seinfeld.

Absolutely loved Seinfeld, though I have to admit, some of the earlier episodes are downright painful to watch now.

Razor Shines
08-13-2010, 03:55 PM

I don't know, the first few seasons are some of their best stuff, but to be honest I can't think of a single episode I don't like. It's easily my favorite show on tv right now, and that's surprising because I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, but if I had to pick one I'd take Sunny without even having to think too much.

RadfordVA
08-13-2010, 10:33 PM
I don't know, the first few seasons are some of their best stuff, but to be honest I can't think of a single episode I don't like. It's easily my favorite show on tv right now, and that's surprising because I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, but if I had to pick one I'd take Sunny without even having to think too much.

Yeah i use to love Curb and would pick Always Sunny over it now. Unfortunately Curb's bird quit and is no longer legit haha

Razor Shines
08-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Yeah i use to love Curb and would pick Always Sunny over it now. Unfortunately Curb's bird quit and is no longer legit haha

Haha, same episode. Nice.