PDA

View Full Version : Is Cincinnati more of a baseball, or football town?

mlh1981
06-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I'd like to get the perspective of those who live/lived there (I live on the other side of the state)

Who is more popular in Cincinnati? The Reds, or Bengals? It seems like in most midwestern towns, football rules. Up north, the Browns are obviously more popular than the Indians, but I was wondering what people thought of Cincinnati, from a sports/popularity perspective?

I know the image for years was that Cincy was a "baseball town," but is that still true?

GIDP
06-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Its a baseball town. The thing is the Bengals have done better in recent years so its a little more blurry. If the Reds string a few good years together this town would shut down on weeknights between 7 and 11.

Reds
06-05-2010, 08:06 PM
If only the Royals hadn't left.. it would be a basketball town! :rolleyes:

webbbj
06-06-2010, 03:04 AM
have to say reds. more tradition, longer history of success. plus there is a reds country that extends to up north in ohio, west to indiana, south in kentucky, and east towards west virginia.

i think the bengals maybe more popular with younger pple maybe but across all demographics i would have to say reds.

Vottomatic
06-06-2010, 03:16 AM
Professional baseball town. Although I think the long term losing has disinterested alot of the younger generation.

If you were born in the 50's, 60's, or 70's, I think you probably more conditioned by your family to follow the Reds.

I just don't feel like the Bengals will ever be an elite team again. They may continue to be a factor, but not a leading factor in the postseason. Just my opinion.

With these new Reds, I feel like I'm watching the beginning of something great. You have Votto and Leake. Leake makes me feel like I'm watching the next Greg Maddux every time he pitches. Votto reminds me a bit of Larry Walker. Gonna hit for average with some power.

arkimadee
06-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Honestly the last few years it has been a football town. With the Bengals being good for much of the 00 decade, so many Ohio State fans and UC beginning to win Big East titles, more buzz has been on the football. That being said, all it would take to change that would be a couple of winning baseball seasons because this town is a baseball town at heart.