PDA

View Full Version : is it too early ?

BigPoppa
06-05-2010, 11:48 PM
is it too early yet to say the NL Central is now a 2-team race ? The Cubs are now at least 7 games back, everyone else is in double digit games behind.......do you see any of these teams getting hot enough to make up any ground on the Reds and Cardinals ?

The NL East and West (except for the D-Backs) both appear to be much more up for grabs than the Central.

Vottomatic
06-06-2010, 04:03 AM
I love seeing it, but it seems like the Cubs are underachieving a bit. I'm not saying they should be in first or second place. But they got guys who have hit well in their careers that just aren't getting it done so far. And the pitching staff should be doing better than they are.

I'm not worried about Milwaukee, Pittsburgh or Houston. They're all toast. The Brewers bullpen sucks. And their starting rotation isn't much better.

If the Cubs continue their downward spiral, then yes, it may be a two team race in the Central.

RedsFanInBama
06-06-2010, 04:32 AM
I do think it's too early just considering where we are in the schedule. I'm not sure the Cubs are really going anywhere and I'm not sure we're really hanging around. I want us to, believe me. But I've been disappointed many times in the past few years.

arkimadee
06-06-2010, 11:11 AM
I can't see the Brew Crew staying quiet all season.. They have too good of an offense

GIDP
06-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I can't see the Brew Crew staying quiet all season.. They have too good of an offense

Their pitching staff has been awful from their 2nd starter to their closer. They have 1 pitcher. Thats the reason why they are so bad.

GIDP
06-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I think its going to be a 2 team race. Cubs could sneak back in the Brewers, Pirates, and the Astros are all really far out right now.

If the Reds and the cardinals only played .500 ball the rest of the way they would finsih with 85 or so wins. The rest of the teams in the division would have to play .600 baseball just to get back in the race, and that with the 2 leading teams playing .500 ball.

Its going to take a collapse or some crazy hot streak for a lot of those teams to get in the race.

redhat
06-06-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't think the Cubs are out of it. Aramis Ramirez and Derrek Lee have had awful starts. They're eventually going to start hitting. Zambrano has also had an awful start, but he's only 29 years old and is scheduled to begin starting games again soon. Unless he's hiding an injury, he's almost certain to finish the year better than he's been.

If those three turn it around, I think the Cubs will start winning more than they lose. That will get them back in the race unless either the Cards or Reds really turn on the afterburners.

TheBigLebowski
06-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Houston and Pitt are out of it.

Cubs have some definite talent but there just seems to be something missing from that club. I can't quantify nor explain it but, I am not concerned about them.

The Brewers are even harder to explain. There's all kinds of talent on that team, but they've been awful. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them go on a bit of a run.

End of the day, I think this division will come down to us and the Cards. But I do think it is way too early to consider this a 2 team race.

sabometrics
06-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Cubs have some definite talent but there just seems to be something missing from that club. I can't quantify nor explain it but, I am not concerned about them.

This is really how I feel about the Cubs. It's one of those years for them that just feels so much like past failures that it's really hard to fathom them making a run. Same old underachieving failure of a team. They could play well enough to get into 2nd, but 1st or a Wild Card berth is out of reach as far as I'm concerned. As long as we want to be playing for the Division crown or for a Wild Card berth I think our fate is solely within our hands within the division.

Outside of them, the Astros, Brewers, and Pirates are done. The Brewers could turn into a team you don't really want to face when you need a win, but aren't in contention at all though. That is if they don't blow things up and trade away talent.

DirtyBaker
06-06-2010, 06:04 PM
At the end of the day, they're still the Cubs. I think it's a 2-team race and the Cubs will be a notch above Milwaukee.

Maker_84
06-06-2010, 07:55 PM
i honestly don't care about winning the divison, i just want to make the fricking playoffs and i'll take the wildcard because i dont c us ending up with a better record than St Louis. hitting 84-88 wins is the key.

Reds
06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm not ready to count the Cubs out yet. Just look at the underachieving Colorado team and what a managerial change did for that team. We'll see if the Cubs (who lost today to the Stros) are within 10-12 games of the WC at the break.

that being said, I didn't pick 'em to make it at the beginning of the year.

BigPoppa
06-07-2010, 01:12 AM
i honestly don't care about winning the divison, i just want to make the fricking playoffs and i'll take the wildcard because i dont c us ending up with a better record than St Louis. hitting 84-88 wins is the key.

I think our overwhelming best hope for the playoffs is to win the Division. There's going to be a lot of strong competition (it appears) for the NL Wild Card spot, and I'd rather the Reds take the path of least resistance.

I want to see a Division Champs sign hung up too.

Vottomatic
06-07-2010, 08:56 AM
My prediction is that Carpenter goes on the DL at some point this season. The reason it would be significant is that we have much better starting pitching depth than the Cardinals. They may have the better starting rotation overall, but when Carpenter goes on the DL, we take the lead in the division.

That is my psychic prediction for the season. LOL.

GIDP
06-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Reds and Cardinals are tied for 1st place.

The closest team to them, Chicago, is 7.5 games out.

That's the biggest lead any 1st place team has over a 3nd place team in any other division other than Minnesota in the Central, with a 8.5 game lead over ironically Chicago.

bgwilly31
06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Cubs suck. Chicago Fans Fail.

Its a two team race.

Ironically i was at a party in Indianapolis over the weekend. I mentioned the redlegs and this ******r with a bears hat on, immediately chimes in with his cubs and bengals suck comments.

I had 3 other cincy guys with me. We pretty much PWND him with facts he was pretty wasted and got in his car and left. lol :thumbup:

Fon Duc Tow
06-07-2010, 01:10 PM
I have already started printing playoff tickets! Wait, forget I just said that.

:D