PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leake and the Playoffs

NeilHamburger
06-06-2010, 12:31 AM
I've seen a few posters on here mention how Leake shouldn't throw more than about 170 innings this year due to potential long-term damage.

Now, it's very early for this, but suppose the Reds make the playoffs, Leake is already over the 170 innings mark, and still pitching great.

At what point do you stop worrying about the future, and play for the World Series? Would you risk a major arm injury, and let Leake throw through the playoffs knowing you very well may get knocked out and kill the kids arm in the process?

arkimadee
06-06-2010, 01:07 AM
I think you risk it. If for some reason you are not in the pennant race in September though, I'd say you shut him down. It's a sensitive situation but I'd stick with him until the reds are out of it.

redsfan_12
06-06-2010, 01:08 AM
I think you risk it. If for some reason you are not in the pennant race in September though, I'd say you shut him down. It's a sensitive situation but I'd stick with him until the reds are out of it.

agree with everything you said.

Griffey012
06-06-2010, 01:31 AM
If we made the playoffs and Leake was a big factor in that, and then we shut him down...I would be very angry. Seeing as that we have been brutally bad for a long time, we may very well never get back to the playoffs while Leake is still here. I for one also do not see a reason Leake can't handle a 200 IP workload if he continues to pitch the low stress innings he does.

And as others have said, if we are out, he gets shut down. No ifs ands or buts.

NorrisHopper30
06-06-2010, 01:37 AM
I don't really know much about pitching injuries but does the fact that Leake doesn't throw very hard give him a less chance of getting hurt?

Magdal
06-06-2010, 01:53 AM
I don't really know much about pitching injuries but does the fact that Leake doesn't throw very hard give him a less chance of getting hurt?Not really. The curveball can do plenty of damage to some arms. But of course it varies from player to player. He is paid to pitch. So he should do just that. If they don't think he can pitch 200 innings then shut him down right now and trade him.

Griffey012
06-06-2010, 01:56 AM
I don't really know much about pitching injuries but does the fact that Leake doesn't throw very hard give him a less chance of getting hurt?

I think it does. Obviously a pitcher who does not throw very hard can still get hurt. But I think this risk is lesser on more of a crafty sinker/slider type such as Leake than a power thrower. Especially with as easy as he has been putting hitters away and pitching through his innings. Which is why I am not worried about Leake getting hurt because of a fairly hefty inning load.

webbbj
06-06-2010, 02:03 AM
i think we should have him skipping starts starting now. going once every 10 days instead of 5 so he can have the chance if needed to pitch in september and october.

Vottomatic
06-06-2010, 02:57 AM
i think we should have him skipping starts starting now. going once every 10 days instead of 5 so he can have the chance if needed to pitch in september and october.

I agree. Maybe not now. But maybe in a few weeks. Rotate him with LeCure or maybe Volquez, if he comes back.