06-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Might as well get started early

mdccclxix
06-07-2010, 12:17 AM
LOL, 12:01 est. Woohoo, I'm ready!

GIDP
06-07-2010, 12:42 AM
:laugh:

Its like trying to sleep the night before Christmas.

Heres to who ever the Reds draft signing earlier than the last few years.

Outshined_One
06-07-2010, 02:34 AM
With the Pirates apparently considering someone other than Taillon or Machado (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100606&content_id=10869926&vkey=draftcentral2010&fext=.jsp), this has the potential to be an utterly bizarre year. In past years, a lot of the shakeups seem to have centered around guys with signability questions (i.e. last year's HS pitching crop, Weaver/Drew throwing everyone for a loop in 2004), but this year, it seems like the second tier of players after Harper-Machado-Taillon is just so jumbled.

I'm looking forward to it!

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 11:16 AM
With the Pirates apparently considering someone other than Taillon or Machado (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100606&content_id=10869926&vkey=draftcentral2010&fext=.jsp), this has the potential to be an utterly bizarre year. In past years, a lot of the shakeups seem to have centered around guys with signability questions (i.e. last year's HS pitching crop, Weaver/Drew throwing everyone for a loop in 2004), but this year, it seems like the second tier of players after Harper-Machado-Taillon is just so jumbled.

I'm looking forward to it!

I would honestly put Whitson in the group of Tallion and Machado. So if that is where they go, I fully get where they are coming from. If it is someone else, then yeah, let the confusion set in.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
The latest mock draft from Baseball America's Jim Callis:

12. REDS. Cincinnati wants the best player who will sign for close to slot money, which is believed to be around $1.75 million at No. 12. Colon, Grandal, McGuire and Cal State Fullerton outfielder Gary Brown would fit here on talent but maybe not on money. In that case, the Reds would look at Ohio State righthander Alex Wimmers, Vitek and Middle Tennessee State outfielder Bryce Brentz.
PROJECTED PICK: Alex Wimmers.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/mock-draft/2010/2610137.html

It's free so you can click on the link to view the full mock draft.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I said it in the other threads and I'll say it in here - just stay away from Gary Brown and Brett Eibner in the first round. Nothing against them, I'll be thrilled if they fall to the Reds in the second round but I don't want them with the No. 12 overall pick.

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 11:58 AM
I said it in the other threads and I'll say it in here - just stay away from Gary Brown and Brett Eibner in the first round. Nothing against them, I'll be thrilled if they fall to the Reds in the second round but I don't want them with the No. 12 overall pick.

I will be honest.... if Eibner is the pick, I wouldn't be bothered by it. In other years, I could see the pick being bad. But in this year, this draft, Eibner makes some sense. He would likely sign for slot and his upside is better than some other guys linked to the Reds. He is a little bit of a project, but stuff wise, he compares well with others linked to the Reds.

Benihana
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Anyone know who Keith Law has going to the Reds in today's mock?

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Anyone know who Keith Law has going to the Reds in today's mock?

Deck McGuire, though he also mentions Colon, Loux, Grandal or Harvey if the money works.

Benihana
06-07-2010, 12:04 PM
So I guess the Grandal to the Royals rumors have been debunked?

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 12:08 PM
So I guess the Grandal to the Royals rumors have been debunked?
Yes and no. Rumor is the Indians offered him more and now he is trying to play his way off the Royals deal, but the Royals still want to take him.

Benihana
06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Yes and no. Rumor is the Indians offered him more and now he is trying to play his way off the Royals deal, but the Royals still want to take him.

Interesting. Strange that the Indians would want him that badly with Santana. I guess either way he won't be falling to 12.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Barret Loux is very interesting. He's a 6-foot-5, 220 pound RHPer from Texas A&M. MLB.com's scouting report: 91-94 mph fastball with light sink, average curveball at 75-77 mph, a plus changeup, and a slurvy slider which is his fourth pitch. He has plus command of his four-pitch arsenal. Four pitches, three of which are average to plus.

Here's his scouting video:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130&content_id=7243405

Benihana
06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
oops, dp

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Interesting. Strange that the Indians would want him that badly with Santana. I guess either way he won't be falling to 12.

Would be interesting to have two hitting catchers, have them each play 75-85 games at catcher and another 75-85 at DH.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Frankie Piliere will be chatting starting at 1:00.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 12:54 PM
As of right now, I think I would take Bryce Brentz at No. 12. He's got above average power to all fields, a nice short stroke, average speed, a strong arm, and projects as a solid defender. He's got a very high ceiling and a chance to move fast through the system. If he's there when the Reds pick, unless a guy like Chris Sale or Drew Pomeranz falls to No. 12, Brentz would be my pick.

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Would McGuire sign for slot with the Reds? Something tells me he wouldn't.

Benihana
06-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Frankie Piliere will be chatting starting at 1:00.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/

Apparently Cox and Castellanos are both sliding big time due to $6MM bonus demands, according to Pilliere, who has Cox sliding into the 20s and Castellanos out of the first round.

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Cox, who could be the heir apparent to either Rolen or Phillips.

Pilliere has the Reds taking Wimmers in his final mock, with Brentz, Whitson, Castellanos, Cox, and Wilson all still on the board (all of which I'd prefer to Wimmers.)
Grandal, McGuire, Choice, Colon, and the Sales are all taken before the Reds pick.

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Apparently Cox and Castellanos are both sliding big time due to $6MM bonus demands, according to Pilliere, who has Cox sliding into the 20s and Castellanos out of the first round.

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Cox, who could be the heir apparent to either Rolen or Phillips.

Pilliere has the Reds taking Wimmers in his final mock, with Brentz, Whitson, Castellanos, Cox, and Wilson all still on the board (all of which I'd prefer to Wimmers.)
Grandal, McGuire, Choice, Colon, and the Sales are all taken before the Reds pick.

You wouldn't mind them taking Cox and paying him $6M?

mdccclxix
06-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Goldstein seems to think Cox has HR power in the teens, which at GABP, would be unlikely. He looks like Dan Uggla to me, but I didn't know he wanted that much $$$, may not be worth it.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Here is Frankie Piliere's final mock draft that Beni alluded to:

12. Reds | Alex Wimmers (RHP) | Ohio State
After the success of Mike Leake last year, Wimmers is a logical pick here. Scouts love his secondary offerings and command. He's not Leake, but he is very, very good. Cincinnati has been high on him all spring and is looking to sign a player for slot. He fits that bill, as would Yasmani Grandal, who they have also shown heavy interest in if he somehow slides. Deck McGuire fits here as well.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/07/mlb-mock-draft-4-0-final-countdown/

mdccclxix
06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Could high $$$ demands be a ploy by some players to land in a better organization? Seems likely, really a win-win for the player.

Benihana
06-07-2010, 01:45 PM
You wouldn't mind them taking Cox and paying him $6M?

As I've said before, I would like to see the Reds draft who they truly believe is the BPA in this draft regardless of monetary demands. Then, offer him slot or slightly above slot (whatever the Reds can afford in their budget) and see what he does. If he signs, great, you have a true top talent. If he doesn't, you get the #12 pick next year in a hopefully stronger draft.

This strategy would work especially well with college players (like Cox or Grandal) as opposed to HS players who may be totally happy to go to school (like Wilson).

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Jonathan Mayo's final mock draft:

12. Cincinnati Reds: Brett Eibner, RHP/OF, University of Arkansas
Grandal could stop here if he doesn't go above, but college arm is the likely scenario. It's just a question of which one.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100607&content_id=10910172&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Benihana
06-07-2010, 01:56 PM
[Comment From Ben: ]
What about the Reds? McGuire, Wimmers, Colon, or someone else?
Monday June 7, 2010 1:52 Ben

Frankie Piliere:
I was very torn between McGuire and Wimmers there, but I heard a late rumor that Toronto is considering McGuire at all. Cincy loves Wimmers, just loves him so unless someone unexpected is there I have those two linked. They expect Colon and Grandal will be gone.

jmcclain19
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
John Sickels has his last mock draft up and it has the Reds taking Wimmers

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/6/7/1505437/another-final-mock-draft#storyjump

12) Reds: Alex Wimmers, RHP, Ohio State University: he's local, he's polished, he's affordable. The pick makes too much sense. I like Wimmers a lot and I think people undersell his ceiling.

GIDP
06-07-2010, 02:54 PM
As of right now, I think I would take Bryce Brentz at No. 12. He's got above average power to all fields, a nice short stroke, average speed, a strong arm, and projects as a solid defender. He's got a very high ceiling and a chance to move fast through the system. If he's there when the Reds pick, unless a guy like Chris Sale or Drew Pomeranz falls to No. 12, Brentz would be my pick.

Brentz is the dude Id be extremely happy with. I love guys who have enough to be be above average with every tool.

jmcclain19
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Cox is interesting - $6mil is a joke and he knows it but $3mil is much more likely. Do the Reds believe in his bat enough to pay $3mil for it?

jmcclain19
06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
There were 6 guys last year that signed for more that $3mil, Strasburg, Ackley, Tate all signed for more than $6mil, with Turner getting $5.5 and Matzek getting $3.9 from the Rockies. Wheeler got 3.3 from the Giants.

In 2008 seven guys got more than 3mil - Beckham, Alvarez, Hosmer & Posey all got around $6mil. Matsuz & Alonso got $4mil, and Smoak got 3.5.

My point being is these guys ask for the moon, knowing they'll probably get half that. Remember all the "Strasburg for $50 mil" talk last year. He got $15. Supposedly Posey wanted $8-10mil on draft day.

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 03:33 PM
KLaw chat saying new name involved for Reds: RHP Chance Ruffin out of U of Texas. Ranked 65 by Law.

Uh oh.

Looks like a reliever...I wonder if this would be a move for this year.

NorrisHopper30
06-07-2010, 03:36 PM
What are the chances Grandal falls to 12?

GIDP
06-07-2010, 03:39 PM
KLaw chat saying new name involved for Reds: RHP Chance Ruffin out of U of Texas. Ranked 65 by Law.

Uh oh.

If they were doing something stupid like that, why wouldnt they just draft a guy and low ball him.

That cant be correct at all.

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Uh oh.

If he goes in the 2nd round, maybe. If they take him in the first round, all kinds of crazy will go down.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
If the Reds draft Chance Ruffin with the #12 pick then heads need to roll. That would be an awful pick at No. 12. If they can get him with their 62nd overall pick then I would be thrilled, but in the first round? No thanks.

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Matt (Springfield)

What are you hearing on the Reds, and I also wanted to ask Does Sam Lecrue have the stuff to go in the Reds Bullpen when Bailey goes back.

Klaw (3:12 PM)

Other than Colon, mostly college arms for the Reds, including a new name - Chance Ruffin from Texas. Yes, Lecure might really be a pen guy long term.

David (Columbus,Ohio)

Reds are rumored to be very interested in Alex Wimmers, the pitcher out of Ohio St, a local kid. How does he project at the major league level?

Klaw (3:14 PM)

He's down their list, I'm told. He's not a real great fit for that park with that fastball.

GIDP
06-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Klaw in these chats makes me thinkg of this photo

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/verscharren/Its_The_Claw.jpg

aubashbrother
06-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Any chance with all the talk of the Reds going after a player that will sign for slot is just that talk or is it really true and if so why ? Chapman ?

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Has anyone on here seen Ohio U. outfielder Gauntlett Eldemire play? Keith Law mentioned him as a possible second or third round pick. I was just looking at his scouting report, he appears to have plenty of tools. I wouldn't mind the Reds grabbing him in the second or third round.

Here's a link to his scouting video.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8192867&topic_id=8080130

NorrisHopper30
06-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Has anyone on here seen Ohio U. outfielder Gauntlett Eldemire play? Keith Law mentioned him as a possible second or third round pick. I was just looking at his scouting report, he appears to have plenty of tools. I wouldn't mind the Reds grabbing him in the second or third round.

Here's a link to his scouting video.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8192867&topic_id=8080130

What an awesome name.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Kevin Goldstein's final mock draft:

12. Cincinnati Reds: No changes here. Vitek and Wimmers seem to be the primary targets, but they'll be tempted by Grandal if he falls, as well as Colon.

Pick: Kolbrin Vitek, 2B, Ball State

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=11106

aubashbrother
06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Im a fan on Tony THompson from Kansas. Not sure where he is projected to go though

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Three more hours until the draft, though the Reds probably won't make their pick until around 8:00.

aubashbrother
06-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Kevin Goldstein's final mock draft:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=11106

seems like a Todd Frazier light. Some power , some speed no home on defense

chicoruiz
06-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Has anyone on here seen Ohio U. outfielder Gauntlett Eldemire play?

I'd take him on the name alone...

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm gonna be mad if the Reds take Vitek over Brentz.

chicoruiz
06-07-2010, 04:05 PM
The Reds earned at least one year of my trust with the Leake pick last year, so I'm not gonna get in a twist no matter who they pick.

TheNext44
06-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't trust anything Law says in terms of what he hears. He's had a pretty bad track record on these matters.

lollipopcurve
06-07-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm gonna be mad if the Reds take Vitek over Brentz.

I wouldn't. Vitek is a very athletic guy with an excellent arm, just like Brentz. Word has him moving to CF, and the bat looks solid. Just don't see what there is to get real worked up over here.

nemesis
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Honestly the Reds have done so well drafting in the First Round since Bailey in 2004, I actually have faith in whatever player they pick...

04 Bailey
05 Bruce
06 Stubbs
07 Mesorasco
08 Alonso
09 Leake

4 are in the Majors now and are big parts of the teams current success... The other two will both make it within 2 years. Find me another team with that kind of success rate?

Heck in 2003 they Drafted Wagner who did pitch in the majors that year with success. You have to go back to 2002 and Gruler since they had a bad 1st round pick.

In 2004 you got:

Bailey
Janish
Tatum (Now with Baltimore)
Valiquette (On 40 Man)

in the first 7 rounds... 3 in the majors the 4th has a decent shot.

In 2005 you got:

Bruce
Wood
LeCure

in the first 4 rounds

Stevens in the 6th which got us Phillips

Fisher
Rosales
Ondrusek

in the 11th, 12th and 13th rounds

Denove who is looking great this year and could be the backup next year in the 32nd.

In 2006 you got:

Stubbs (granted you coulda had Lincecum, but Stubbs is currently out producing Bruce)
Turner who has had 2 cups of coffee at the ML Level.
Heisey
Roenicke (who helped get the Reds Rolen)

With a few of the guys like Valakia, Smith, Dorn, Webb, Tabor high in the system all with chances to make it to the majors.

In 2007 you got:

Mesorasco
Frazier
Lotzkar
Cozart
Carroll
Soto

All in the first 3 rounds.

Lotzkar may or may not rebound. Mez, Frazier, Cozart will all make the show.

Carroll and Soto have decent chances.

They proceeded to get Hildenbrandt and Waring in the 6th and 7th. (Waring along with Turner got the Reds Hernandez)

They got Krebs and Klinker in the 14th and 15th rounds Horst in the 21st Partch in the 26th, Hotchkiss in the 31st...

In 2008 you got:

Alonso
Stewart (who also got the Reds Rolen)
Cline
Buchholtz
Villarreal
Puckett
Sapplett (who is just tearing up the Minors)

In the first 9 rounds. 3 or 4 of which will more than likely make it to the Majors.

Other notables are:

Sulbaran (30th)
Thurman (19th)
Fairel (35th)
Freeman (32nd)
Coddington (44th)

2009 paid immediate dividends in one Mike Leake...

then you have

Boxberger
Hamilton
Joseph

in the first 3 rounds.

Then Consecutive picks of...

Serrano A+
Fellhauer A+
Silva Rookie Ball
Pearl A (injured but looked good)
Barnhart Rookie Ball
Johnson A
Garton A
Christiani A+
Crabbe A

6 of which will probably make it to the Majors including Leake. (Boxberger, Joseph, Serrano, Fellahauer, Christiani)

The farm system has also shown much less patience with prospects who aren't producing at a high level quickly.
4 picks from last years draft have already be cut and didn't put up to terrible numbers.

So the jist of this is... They know what they are doing. They are doing it better than any time in Reds history. If they take Bob Smith from Nowhere, ND in the first round you can almost guarantee he will be in the majors producing in 2 to 4 years.

Don't get to high, don't get to low on whoever they take no matter where they are rated on anyone elses board. The only board I care about is the one at GABP.

All that being said, I suspect based on everyone else's board but Law's it's going to be Wimmers unless Grandal is there... and if they think that's the guy, then that's the guy...

icehole3
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
is the draft on cable or is it on MLB network only?

GIDP
06-07-2010, 05:21 PM
is the draft on cable or is it on MLB network only?

if I remember correct last year it was live on MLB.com.

I doubt its on any other channel though.

I believe you will be able to watch it online here

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2010/draftlive_app.jsp

icehole3
06-07-2010, 05:24 PM
I guess ESPN rather show NFL live for the 4th time today than show the 1st round of the draft, good grief

GIDP
06-07-2010, 05:26 PM
I guess ESPN rather show NFL live for the 4th time today than show the 1st round of the draft, good grief

Would you really want to watch ESPN try to discuss a draft pick in the MLB draft? they arent really suited for it the MLB network is.

NorrisHopper30
06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Think there will be a stream online for those without mlbnetwork?

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Or the MLB Network holds the rights to broadcast it....

GIDP
06-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Think there will be a stream online for those without mlbnetwork?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2010/draftlive_app.jsp

Im almost 100% sure this will be showing the draft live tonight.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 05:45 PM
From Keith Law's twitter:

A potential shocker to the Reds at #12? http://klaw.me/bSuEVG

http://twitter.com/keithlaw

I'm guessing he's talking about Chance Ruffin. Please no.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Doug is reporting Arkansas RHP/OFer Brett Eibner is telling teams he wants to hit rather than pitch. Jonathan Mayo has the Reds selecting Eibner with the No. 12 pick.

http://redsminorleagues.com/2010/06/07/2010-mlb-draft-day-1/

TheNext44
06-07-2010, 05:54 PM

MLB TV says he's moved up a bunch today, and most likely will be taken in the first round or supplemental. They said he's teh closest to the bigs as a closer or setup man.

I personally hate those picks, they tend to disappoint in a few years, but maybe the Reds see him as someone who can help this year, and considering how weak the draft is after the first five or six, I could see some logic to it... some, but not much.

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 05:54 PM

He is. I will lose it. Complete meltdown if it happens.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Jonathan Mayo just released another last minute mock draft:

12. CIN - Christian Colon

http://minors.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/06/last-ditch_mock.html

13 in hall
06-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Jim Callis says it's Workman not Ruffin the reds are thinking of taking.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I personally hate those picks, they tend to disappoint in a few years, but maybe the Reds see him as someone who can help this year, and considering how weak the draft is after the first five or six, I could see some logic to it... some, but not much.

If the Reds are looking for immediate bullpen help then just fast track Donnie Joseph. Judging off the scouting reports I've seen of Ruffin, Joseph has better stuff and considering he's already pitching well in High-A, he's more advanced than Ruffin too. Don't waste a top 15 pick on a college reliever.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Last mock draft from Jim Callis:

12. Reds. Brandon Workman, rhp, Texas

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2255

Workman is a big dude at 6-foot-5, 220, and has a fastball than ranges from 90-95 mph with plus movement, a plus cutter, an average curve, and a good feel for the changeup. The only problem is he apparently has the mechanics of a reliever.

Scouting video:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7200775&topic_id=8080130

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Keith Law says Drew Pomeranz is sliding. I'd love to see him slide down to the Reds...

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't see the concerns with Workman's mechanics at first glance...

Puffy
06-07-2010, 06:09 PM
[Comment From Puffy Puffy: ]
Keith Law is the one who just posted the Chance Ruffin to Cincy rumor. He feels its strong possiblilty.
Monday June 7, 2010 6:02 Puffy
6:03

Frankie Piliere:
Hats off to him if he's right but I have to hear it. There's going to be guys on the board they like better I think

GIDP
06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
[Comment From Puffy Puffy: ]
Keith Law is the one who just posted the Chance Ruffin to Cincy rumor. He feels its strong possiblilty.
Monday June 7, 2010 6:02 Puffy
6:03

Frankie Piliere:
Hats off to him if he's right but I have to hear it. There's going to be guys on the board they like better I think

Can you insult someone any more politely? lol

I feel the chill way over here.

Benihana
06-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Keith Law says Drew Pomeranz is sliding. I'd love to see him slide down to the Reds...

Agreed. Can we get a sticky for this thread please?

Benihana
06-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Callis' final mock has Grandal going 25 to the Cardinals. Wow, talk about a quick slide if true!

aubashbrother
06-07-2010, 06:32 PM
If Pomeranz is still there Id take him but if not I really dont want to pass Brentz up for one of the other college pitchers like wimmers

GIDP
06-07-2010, 06:33 PM
If Pomeranz is still there Id take him but if not I really dont want to pass Brentz up for one of the other college pitchers like wimmers

Agreed.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Agreed.

tbball10
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't see the concerns with Workman's mechanics at first glance...

I don't either. I actually didn't think he threw with much effort at all. Especially not compared to Wimmers.

NorrisHopper30
06-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Just showed a little 10-20 second segment on mlb.com draft preview about Mike Leake.

reds44
06-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Gammons was just on talking up the kid from Ball State.

Gallen5862
06-07-2010, 06:48 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2255

12. Reds. Brandon Workman, rhp, Texas

Gallen5862
06-07-2010, 06:48 PM
That was the latest mock draft that Baseball America sent me.

nemesis
06-07-2010, 06:59 PM
looking at the #'s... If it comes down to Ruffin vs Workman... and I hope it doesn't, Ruffin looks like the better pick.

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2009-2010/teamcume.html

Benihana
06-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Draft starts now. Sticky please.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 07:01 PM
It's draft time! The Reds will make their pick roughly an hour from now.

Cedric
06-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I can't wait to hear Bud say "Cincinnatuh"

13 in hall
06-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Frankie P has C. Colon to Royals per his sources. Should be fun!!

Degenerate39
06-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Just hurry up and pick Harper we all know thats who the Nats will pick

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Just hurry up and pick Harper we all know thats who the Nats will pick

Yeah, it was hilarious when their rep picked up the phone. I wonder what he was ordering for dinner?

Degenerate39
06-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Harper listed as an outfielder?

Cedric
06-07-2010, 07:11 PM
After the Harper pick the camera panned to the small crowd cheering. It looked like a gathering at the local Moose. A little different than the crazy NFL atmosphere.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 07:14 PM
That was John Candelaria?

Wow.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
wrong thread.

Degenerate39
06-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Jameson Taillon is drafted by the Pirates

TheNext44
06-07-2010, 07:21 PM
everyone and their mother knows the first three picks. Why does it take 20 minutes for them to happen?

Degenerate39
Baltimore takes Manny Machado

Kingspoint
1-2-3 as planned.

Is Pomeranz next?

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
everyone and their mother knows the first three picks. Why does it take 20 minutes for them to happen?

Drama for TV.

thatcoolguy_22
06-07-2010, 07:25 PM

better tv?

GoReds
06-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Draft would be much more exciting if draft picks could be traded. Could you imagine how elevated the buzz would be?

Degenerate39
06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Christian Colon is taken by KC

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Christian Colon, SS goes 4th.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Draft would be much more exciting if draft picks could be traded. Could you imagine how elevated the buzz would be?

I wish they'd allow picks to be traded. It works really well in the NFL and the NBA.

Smaller market clubs would have more power that way.

TheNext44
06-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Drama for TV.

I know, it's just frustrating. lol :)

GoReds
06-07-2010, 07:29 PM
I wish they'd allow picks to be traded. It works really well in the NFL and the NBA.

The difference is, the MLB draft takes place during the season. It would make the draft more exciting to think that current players could change teams as a result of draft day trades. Almost be like a second trade deadline.

dougdirt
Also, could someone tell me the difference between Chris Valaika in 2006 and Christian Colon today, because I can't see it.

TheNext44

Smaller market clubs would have more power that way.

They will, but Baseball has always moved more like a glacier than a race car towards change.

nemesis
06-07-2010, 07:30 PM
If you were the Reds what would you been willing to give up to get that #1 pick this year?

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 07:31 PM
The difference is, the MLB draft takes place during the season. It would make the draft more exciting to think that current players could change teams as a result of draft day trades. Almost be like a second trade deadline.

That would be great.

Baseball (and guys like Bud Selig) have no insight, whatsoever. It's really hard for them to think outside-the-box.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Indians take Drew Pomeranz. So much for him sliding.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
With Arizona picking now, here's where McGuire most likely goes. If not, he could fall and be an option for the REDS when they pick.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I would like to see Chris Sale fall to the Reds.

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 07:35 PM
I would like to see Chris Sale fall to the Reds.

Not me. After watching him throw in slow motion, he just looks like an injury waiting to happen. That elbow gets way too much hyperabuction going as he is loading. Not quite Kyle Lotzkar bad, but still, pretty bad.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Chapman's getting rocked.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 07:37 PM
D-Backs select Barret Loux, RHP, Texas A&M.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 07:38 PM
D-Backs select Barret Loux, RHP, Texas A&M.

OK...

Gallen5862
06-07-2010, 07:40 PM
The Diamondbacks board is furious over the pick. They wanted Sale.

Oxilon
06-07-2010, 07:41 PM
I still can't get over how lucky the Nats were to suck at the perfect time. Strasburg and Harper in back-to-back years? Knowing that, just think that the Padres took Matt Bush with their #1 overall pick years back.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 07:43 PM
With the 7th overall pick, the Mets select Matt Harvey, RHP, North Carolina.

Kingspoint
When will Zack Cox go?

oneupper
I still can't get over how lucky the Nats were to suck at the perfect time. Strasburg and Harper in back-to-back years? Knowing that, just think that the Padres took Matt Bush with their #1 overall pick years back.

But that was $$$ related.

The Operator

Wasn't Bryan Bullington also selected #1 by PIT 6-7 years back?

The Nats certainly have struck it rich.

chicoruiz
06-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Could Choice fall to us???

Benihana
06-07-2010, 07:44 PM
BA just said Chris Sale could fall. They also said the Astros will take DeShields (which is where Josh Sale was supposed to go.)

I'd love to have either Sale.

kearns and dunn
06-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Not a big fan of Chris Sale. I think Deck McGuire or Yasmani Grandal will be our pick.

Oxilon
06-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm still hoping the Reds decide to "reach" and take Austin Wilson.

On a side note -- Bud Selig announcing the picks is embarrassing.

Benihana
06-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm still hoping the Reds decide to "reach" and take Austin Wilson.

On a side note -- Bud Selig announcing the picks is embarrassing.

What about Bud Selig isn't embarrassing?

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 07:48 PM
8th overall pick - Astros select Delino DeShields Jr.

Benihana
06-07-2010, 07:49 PM
DeShields-Whitson-Choice should be the next three picks.

mound_patrol
06-07-2010, 07:49 PM
My gut is telling me we take the Ball St kid.

Oxilon
06-07-2010, 07:50 PM
What about Bud Selig isn't embarrassing?

True.

http://mikeclose.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/bud-selig.jpg

Oxilon
06-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Is Harper the #1 prospect now even w/out playing a minor league game?

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Alex Buchholz has homered for the 3rd time in 7 games.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Could Choice fall to us???

Anyone could fall to us at this point.

Locks are gone.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
With the 9th overall pick, the Padres select Karsten Whitson.

David Cubbedge
06-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Chances are its Chance

Benihana
06-07-2010, 07:55 PM
A's will take Choice, meaning at least one of the Sales will be available to us.

Keep your fingers crossed (but don't hold your breath)

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 07:59 PM
A's select Michael Choice with the 10th overall pick.

NC Reds
06-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I never thought Chris Sale could fall to the Reds. Possible now.

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm betting that the pick will be widely panned.

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Is Harper the #1 prospect now even w/out playing a minor league game?

Not until Strasburg throws 50 MLB innings.

SirFelixCat
06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
So who are we rooting against the Reds to pick?

Oxilon
I'm going to laugh when we take the Longhorn's closer with our first pick. Ryan Wagner redux about to happen.

Benihana
I'm betting that the pick will be widely panned.

Agreed

edabbs44
Jays taking Deck?

NC Reds
Picking Workman would be worthy of panning.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Keith Law says the Jays will take Deck McGuire which means Chris Sale, Josh Sale, Bryce Brentz, and Yasmani Grandal are all still available.

Give me Sale or Brentz.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 08:04 PM

Gary Brown, Chance Ruffin, Brett Eibner.

dougdirt

Chris Sale or a reliever....

nemesis
The Reds have the ability to take BPA. If they don't then you have to wonder... $$$$

OnBaseMachine
The Jays select Deck McGuire. The Reds are on the clock!

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 08:05 PM
The Reds have the ability to take BPA. If they don't then you have to wonder... $$$$

Or arrival time. If the Texas guys are in play, they are looking at 2010 since the bullpen sucks.

Kingspoint
My hopes are A. J. Cole.

nate
Can we take Lincecum this time?

:cool:

Oxilon
I'm loving how the analysts are analyzing the picks by discussing how the current draft picks would fill a void for the current MLB team -- as if they would be making an immediate impact.

dougdirt
Or arrival time. If the Texas guys are in play, they are looking at 2010 since the bullpen sucks.

Ruffin is a reliever. Workman looks like a starter to me.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 08:06 PM
We've had some really good 1st Round picks the last 6-7 years.

The trend will continue.

nemesis
06-07-2010, 08:07 PM
This could be one of those picks where we go man we passed on ------ to draft -----...

Imagine if we had drafted -----

Kingspoint
I'm loving how the analysts are analyzing the picks by discussing how the current draft picks would fill a void for the current MLB team -- as if they would be making an immediate impact.

That is strange. They'd have to know more about their overall minor league depths to give a true analysis of the pick and "how it fits into their system", but it's highly unlikely any of them have that much knowledge.

OnBaseMachine
Keith Law says it's Yasmani Grandal.

TheNext44
This could be one of those picks where we go man we passed on ------ to draft -----...

Imagine if we had drafted -----

Pretty much true of nearly every pick... ever.

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Keith Law says it's Yasmani Grandal.

That would be cool.

NC Reds
I wanted Leake last year and we got him. I don't have the same feeling about anybody on the board. I'll take Brentz or either Sale and be satisfied.

nemesis
Grandal would make me very happy

edabbs44
I think Callis agrees with Law.

Benihana
Give me Grandal or the Sales.

Please no Ruffin.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 08:09 PM
The REDS have already made their pick because nobody's talking to anybody else.

edabbs44
But a little surprising, since Mesoraco is starting to play well.

REDblooded
Grandal, Chris Sales, or Brentz... Don't give me anybody else...

TheNext44
Less than a minute before someone on this board is upset

mdccclxix
Lot's of smiles in that draft room, I wonder why?

NC Reds
Don't want a catcher.

OnBaseMachine
With the 12th overall pick, the Cincinnati Reds select...

Yasmani Grandal, catcher, Miami

Another Cuban to go along with Aroldis Chapman and Yonder Alonso.

TheNext44
Drum rolllllllll

SirFelixCat
Grandal it is!

REDblooded
solid

TheNext44
A money pick in more ways than one...

flyer85
solid pick IMO

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Keith Law knows his stuff.

Reds Fanatic
Grandal is the pick. Good pick.

nemesis
$#%&* yeah!!!

Doc. Scott
Nice. Didn't want the college closer.

REDblooded
would've still rather had Brentz... but I'm good with this

fearofpopvol1
Not my favorite pick, but it's definitely not a disappointing pick. I'm satisfied.

Kingspoint
Catcher, Miami
Born July 18, 1989> Draft Day Age=20.9
Ht/Wt... 6-2/210, Bats Switch / Throws Right

Composite Review...

Grandal's value is automatically high because of three magic words: Switch-hitting catcher. The youngster from Miami has good raw power, another facet of his game that will aide his rising stock. He has more of it from the left side, but there are questions about his mechanics. From the right side, there are concerns about his bat speed and follow-through.

Defensively, he is solid if not spectacular. He is hardly regarded as a fast runner, but his quick feet will allow him to make necessary movements behind the plate. His skills will continue to improve, a necessity given the fact that he is expected to move through the minor leagues quickly. But make no mistake – it is his hitting that has scouts excited, and his hitting that will tell how much success he has in the pros.

--Michael Seff

KoryMac5
Hopefully the Reds can get him to sign his bonus demands scare me a bit.

TheNext44
Lot's of smiles in that draft room, I wonder why?

They know they are on camera...

OnBaseMachine
Not bad at all. I liked Brentz but I'm fine with Grandal.

RBA
06-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Going to handle Chapman?

RedsManRick
Where does that leave Mes? Seems like they're going to be in similar places developmentally moving in to 2011.

Kingspoint
U of Miami two of three years.

Reds Fanatic
Link to a scouting report on Grandal:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130&content_id=8003693

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Hopefully the Reds can get him to sign his bonus demands scare me a bit.

Maybe it's a Sowers pick and they are saving for a megadraft next year.

Hopefully not.

TheNext44
06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Where does that leave Mes? Seems like they're going to be in similar places developmentally moving in to 2011.

The Rangers had like 15 catching prospects just a few years ago, now they are trying to acquire one.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 08:13 PM

Both players have to "pass the mustard" Defensively where Mesoraco is getting the first shot right now at AA. Grandal will start at High-A.

chicoruiz
06-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Tough sign, but if they don't sign him and take the pick next year, I'm OK with that.

Wonder if this ends the Soto experiment?

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2010, 08:14 PM

I think Grandal is further along than Mez is.

TheNext44
06-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Tough sign, but if they don't sign him and take the pick next year, I'm OK with that.

Because having too many good young catchers is a bad thing?

RedsManRick
06-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Link to a scouting report on Grandal:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130&content_id=8003693

Yasmani Grandal - C
Miami, Jr.
Birthdate: 7/18/89
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 210 lbs.
Bats: Both
Throws: Right
Scout's report filed: 4/16-4/18/10

Scouting Report
Hitting ability: Strong and physical, Grandal has put up numbers this year, but his hitting overall does not grade out that well. He doesn't have great bat speed

Power: He has a good amount of raw power, though it's not quite plus.

Running speed: He is a well below average runner.

Base running: It's not a part of his game.

Arm strength: His pure grade would be just okay, and his release times aren't great, but he's fairly accurate.

Fielding: He's been strong defensively in the past but doesn't always move his feet well.

Range: He's not the most agile backstop; he's been seen doing better in the past.

Physical Description: Grandal is a big, strong, physical backstop, kind of like a Damon Berryhill type.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Good raw power as a switch-hitter; has answered some questions about his bat with his numbers this season; has a solid reputation as a defender.

Weaknesses: Despite a good reputation, his individual defensive tools, other than his arm, don't grade out that well. Lack of bat speed has some concerned about hitting ability.

Summary: Grandal has been on radars since high school, when he opted for the University of Miami rather than the Red Sox. He's come through with his best offensive season at the right time, with consistent production at the plate moving him up Draft boards in a hurry. He's a switch-hitter with some pop, but some worry about his ability as an overall hitter. Defensively, he has a good reputation, but he does need work on things like his footwork. With college catchers always in high demand, Grandal's numbers this spring could very well result in him being the first catcher off the board in the first round.

Kingspoint

I think so.

Benihana

Exactly. I think they offer him <$3MM, and stay strong. Plus, it allows the organization more time to see if Mesoraco can continue to hit at AA, or if Soto can stay behind the plate (and hit).

I think he'll blink at the last minute and sign. If he doesn't I'm fine with the extra pick next year.

I am very pleased with this scenario.

NorrisHopper30
Grandal is on ESPNU right now playing a game vs A&M, they paused the game to tell him he got drafted.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
You can't have too many Catchers and Shortstops.

MikeS21
06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Grandal also seems to be a high OBP guy.

Lockdwn11
06-07-2010, 08:17 PM

I really think that is the plan. I look for them to not sign him and use the pick next year where it is a deeper draft. We will have to wait and see if he signs.

RBA
Grandal is on ESPNU right now playing a game vs A&M, they paused the game to tell him he got drafted.

Looks like he's all smiles.

NorrisHopper30

He seemed extremely excited when his manager showed him the text.

bubbachunk
06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Based on the scouting reports I dont see any reason to really get excited, am I missing something or this just a weak draft and his value is due to position?

Vottomatic
06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
He jumped up and down and did the Ickey Shuffle when they told him he was drafted.

Oxilon
06-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Who's better defensively, Grandal or Harper?

marcshoe
Catching Chapman may be a major incentive for him.

Kingspoint

Cool!
:thumbup:

Vottomatic
06-07-2010, 08:22 PM
.......then he jumped up on Oprah's couch and jumped up and down on it!

11larkin11
06-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Who's better defensively, Grandal or Harper?

Harper was drafted as an outfielder.

Oxilon
06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Harper was drafted as an outfielder.

Yeah, I know -- he's bats too good to risk a shorter career. But I was just curious.

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Some interesting choices being made.

Homer Bailey
06-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Anyone got his numbers from this season?

Edit: .299/.414/.599/1.013
18% K rate

Benihana
06-07-2010, 08:27 PM

They were very similar to Alonso's the year he was drafted.

Between Yasmani, Yonder, and Yorman, we could be the Killer Y's in a few years.

Now we just have to draft Yordy Cabrera in Round 2...

mdccclxix
06-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Still left:

Cox
Josh Sale
Chris Sale
and on and on, wow!

Benihana
06-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Some interesting choices being made.

Can't complain about them going the signability route.

Even if they end up not signing Grandal, I am happy with the pick.

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I like the Grandal selection on a few levels. They weren't deterred by $$$. He is seen to be a quick to the majors guy. It's a position that isn't jammed up, though the traffic is building up.

If Bob is into it, they might be able to get a guy who drops in the 2nd. That would be nice.

RedsManRick
06-07-2010, 08:30 PM
They mentioned on MLB that his family defected. Could the Reds be consciously building a reputation as the team for Cubans?

Reds Fanatic
06-07-2010, 08:31 PM

18% K rate

Some more stats:

Player AVG GP-GS AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB SLG% BB HBP SO GDP OB% SF SH SB-ATT PO A E FLD%

24 Yasmani Grandal.. .412 59-59 211 54 87 23 1 14 56 154 .730 55 3 34 4 .537 1 0 1-2 460 45 3 .994

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 08:31 PM
13. White Sox - LHP Chris Sale

14. Brewers - RHP Dylan Covey

15. Rangers - Jake Skole

16. Cubs - RHP Haden Simpson

RichRed
06-07-2010, 08:32 PM
They mentioned on MLB that his family defected. Could the Reds be consciously building a reputation as the team for Cubans?

Just like they used to be, back in the day.

Homer Bailey
06-07-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm a bit underwhelmed by the scouting report, but I trust the Reds on this one.

GriffeyFan
06-07-2010, 08:33 PM

18% K rate

.412, 14 HR, 56 RBI
55 Walks / 34 K's

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Can't complain about them going the signability route.

Even if they end up not signing Grandal, I am happy with the pick.

I wasn't referring to the Reds, but the teams behind the Reds.

jmcclain19
06-07-2010, 08:35 PM

They are the Reds after all.

Yeah that's all I got.

Love the pick. Doing cartwheelsabout it actually.

Drafted who they liked the most regardless of current need or guys in the system. Which is pretty much all you can ask for. The Yonder comparisons are pretty stark except Grandal can catch.

NC Reds
06-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I'll be contrarian. I don't like the pick much. We have a 21 year old catcher already showing promise at catcher (Mesoraco). I thought Chris Sale was the top lefty in the draft (ahead of Pomeranz) and we passed him up.

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I like the Grandal selection on a few levels. They weren't deterred by $$$. He is seen to be a quick to the majors guy. It's a position that isn't jammed up, though the traffic is building up.

If Bob is into it, they might be able to get a guy who drops in the 2nd. That would be nice.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean they will sign him. He supposedly wants way above slot.

dougdirt
06-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I'll be contrarian. I don't like the pick much. We have a 21 year old catcher already showing promise at catcher (Mesoraco). I thought Chris Sale was the top lefty in the draft (ahead of Pomeranz) and we passed him up.

Chris Sale is going to end up blowing his arm up sooner rather than later. So much hyperabduction going on there, I just can't see him staying healthy as a starter.

Vottomatic
06-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Think about it. We currently have an abundance of starting pitchers (I know you can never have enough). We have a logjam in the major league outfield. First base is covered. Third Base is covered for 2 more seasons after this one. We have Cozart, Valaika, and Frazier slotted for other infield positions.

Other than Mez, we don't have many other catching options.

REDblooded
06-07-2010, 08:41 PM
LOL... Nickname of the future... "the Y store"

mdccclxix
06-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Even though it's a down draft and all, I envy the Halo's and others with so many picks today. Lot's of value developing.

JayBruce
06-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Think about it. We currently have an abundance of starting pitchers (I know you can never have enough). We have a logjam in the major league outfield. First base is covered. Third Base is covered for 2 more seasons after this one. We have Cozart, Valaika, and Frazier slotted for other infield positions.

Other than Mez, we don't have many other catching options.

lol wat

You mean slotted for Louisville, right?

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 08:44 PM
If they are serious about signing him, maybe that means they will sell high on Mes?

lollipopcurve
06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Love the pick!

Getting him signed could become quite the saga. We shall see.

edabbs44
06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Vitek to Boston.

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Wimmers is a Twin.

blumj
06-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Vitek to Boston.

Anyone know why almost everyone on the Sox board hates this pick?

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Anyone know why almost everyone on the Sox board hates this pick?

Maybe because he's a 2B and they have Pedroia.

BearcatShane
06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
How many rounds are done tonight?

NorrisHopper30
06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I heard Vitek might move to CF?

Gallen5862
06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Just The First round and supplemental draft is done tonight.

Benihana
06-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Sucks that the Cards got Cox.

Players on the board I'd love to see slide to the Reds in the 2nd:

1. Austin Wilson (although there is 0 chance the Reds could sign him and Grandal)
2. Bryce Brentz
3. Nick Castellanos (probably same problem as Wilson)
4. AJ Cole
5. Brandon Workman
6. James Paxton
7. Asher Wojo
8. Derek Dietrich
9. Yordy Cabrera
10. Jarrett Parker

Do you know what could be a VERY interesting strategy? Draft Wilson in the 2nd round- assuming he lasts that long- and offer him and Grandal essentially the same $, with the first to sign it getting the loot. If Wilson gets it, the Reds get Wilson AND an extra first round pick next year.

I'd also be content with Stetson Allie or Tony Wolters in the 2nd. Even Chance Ruffin wouldn't make me pout at this point.

Kingspoint
06-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Who are the "Los Angeleeeees" Angels?

Is that Bud's attempt to placate the Hispanics by trying to give the name an accent?

Benihana
06-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Damn, there goes Brentz to the Red Sox

and Ranaudo too.

Nice draft for the BoSox.

corkedbat
06-07-2010, 10:15 PM
True.

http://mikeclose.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/bud-selig.jpg

Always think of an older version of Butthead when I see him.

Benihana
06-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Is everyone else asleep?

My Top 10 heading into Day 2
1. Austin Wilson OF
2. AJ Cole RHP
3. Brandon Workman RHP
4. James Paxton LHP
5. Derek Deitrich SS
6. Yordy Cabrera 3B
7. Jarrett Parker OF
8. Stetson Allie RHP
9. Tony Wolters SS
10. Brett Eibner RHP

Ghosts of 1990
06-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Stetson Allie from Ohio still on the board

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2010, 10:51 PM
I doubt if Cole or Wilson will sign now, but if so, they would be excellent picks in the second round.

I'd also love to see Workman, Cabrera, or Allie fall to the Reds at #62.