PDA

View Full Version : In OOTP how big does a sample size have to be?

COM2010
06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I've just started a game in OOTP -- Reds are my team, of course -- and so far Chapman isn't ready. In his first (and so far only) appearance of the season he's allowed 6 hits and 2 walks in 5 2/3 innings while striking out 7, so not too good. On the plus side of things Lance Nix is OPS'ing 1.400 in 10 at-bats, getting 4 hits (2 of them HR's) and scoring 3 times. At the big league level Phillips and Cabrera area OPS'ing in the .450-.475 range. :( Cueto have been dominant, striking out 8 in 6 innings for his first start of the season. So far the rotation is averaging 5-6 IP per start, not good. Arroyo was ALL OVER THE PLACE in a 17-3 loss to the Cardinals (the Reds did win the series, though!), giving up 4 BB's while allowing 7 hits (and 9 runs) in 4 innings of work. Of course that was against Carpenter, so I'll let it slide. :D Oh, so my question is how many games do you go in the season before the numbers are legitimate enough to start moving guys up and down in the minors? I don't want to hurt their progress, and I don't know enough about how salaries and contracts work, so I'm looking for some help here. Any other OOTP'ers here?

KronoRed
06-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I always let the computer run the minors with the auto arrange function, it goes off of ratings more then the stats.

As for guys in the majors, I give it 2 months before I start making changes based on guys being good or awful.

COM2010
06-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Okay, thanks. In previous attempts at this game I've soon found myself promoting and demoting like crazy, and trading, then all of a sudden I have a Reds team that's 15 games out of first place, no money to spend and a bunch of wrecked careers for 20 year olds. :D

COM2010
06-09-2010, 12:04 PM
In my season on 04/22 (against the advice of KronoRed) I couldn't take anymore of Brandon Phillips and his .450ish OPS, and the fact that Bronson Arroyo was getting hammered each time out. Phillips was a very unhappy player. So ... I traded BP to the Royals for SP Luke Hochevar and 2B Chris Getz. Arroyo was immediately sent to the pen, and Luke and Chris were brought up to the big leagues. That was five days ago. The numbers since then are:

Phillips 2-for-12 w/ 3 runs, 1 SB
Hochevar won 5-3 over Dodgers 7 IP / 7 H / 3 R / 3 ER / 1 BB / 1 K
Getz pinch-hit 2-RBI single to fuel a 4-run rally in bottom of the 7th against ...... the Dodgers in that 5-3 win :beerme:

So far I have managed to NOT move up/down any of the guys that were already in the minor leagues for me, so that's progress. :D

It8ifyifitsgrif
06-09-2010, 12:27 PM
If any of you guys interested in an online OOTP league. Visit us @ www.imlb-ootp.com

Great League with Active owners. We about to begin 2014 season and this season will be our last on OOTP X as we will move to OOTP 11 at that time

If interested sign up on the web site or email me @ imlbcommish@gmail.com

COM2010
06-09-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm on OOTP 11 now, when you are ready to move to that one, please let me know.

It8ifyifitsgrif
06-18-2010, 12:43 AM
If any of you guys interested in an online OOTP league. Visit us @ www.imlb-ootp.com

Great League with Active owners. We about to begin 2014 season and this season will be our last on OOTP X as we will move to OOTP 11 at that time

If interested sign up on the web site or email me @ imlbcommish@gmail.com

Just an update....Reds are available in the league at this time.