PDA

View Full Version : Trading with the Yankees

flash
06-08-2010, 08:56 AM
The yankees have a good young SS prospect named Nunez. The trouble for him with the Yankees won't be looking to replace ARod, Jeter, or Cano anytime soon. I believe the Reds could pick him up if they offered Francisco who really doesn't have a place with the Reds. The Yankees could definitely replace Texiera at first with another bat. And the Reds could use a long term solution at short.

The Reds also have others who they could consider to broaden the deal. There really does not seem to be a place for Dickerson. The Yankees are very shorthanded in the outfield after Gardner and Swisher.

Then there are Harang and Herrerra. One of the reasons for Harang's problems could be that he has been a front line starter for five years in the National League. That is a long time. He probably is among the elites longevity wise in the national league. Not having elite stuff though means many batters know all about him. Herrera's stuff also has been learned by patient batters. A different league might help both tremendously. The Yankees could also use a veteran fifth starter and a left hand reliever. I don't know who else the Reds could get from the Yankees, but nunez would be a good start.

Vottomatic
06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
I can see going after Nunez because of the major league logjam ahead of him. But they have 5 quality starters that they're paying alot of money except for Phil Hughes. I doubt they want to take on Harang's salary. I could see swapping Francisco for Nunez. We need a future SS and they could use a good backup 1B, 3B, and occasional LFer.

I'd like to know more about Nunez's defensive capability though. He is hitting over .300 this season and hit .322 last season in nearly 500 at-bats at triple A. He turns 23 on June 15.

nemesis
06-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I'd like to know more about Nunez's defensive capability though.

Ask and Ye shall receive...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Fielding/N/Eduardo-Nunez-1.shtml

Vottomatic
06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
His fielding percentage is terrible.

Pass.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Fielding/N/Eduardo-Nunez-1.shtml

webbbj
06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
harang pitching against the sox, and rays and even blue jays would be a disaster for him not to mention every team has a DH to face.

Vottomatic
06-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Harang needs to go to a ballpark that balls don't fly out of, like GABP. Some huge ballpark with deep fences.

Boston Red
06-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I would think the Yanks ARE going to be looking to replace Jeter relatively soon. He'll be 36 this month.

brachial pleXUs
06-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I would think the Yanks ARE going to be looking to replace Jeter relatively soon. He'll be 36 this month.

I've heard a lot of talk that they'll move him to center field sometime after this season.

Vottomatic
06-08-2010, 03:56 PM
I've heard a lot of talk that they'll move him to center field sometime after this season.

Then they won't be trading Nunez. :eek:

Knightro28
06-08-2010, 10:27 PM
The Yankees could definitely replace Texiera at first with another bat.

Is this a joke?

BLEEDS
06-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Is this a joke?

I assume he means move Texiera to DH.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Mutaman
06-09-2010, 02:18 AM
I assume he means move Texiera to DH.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Why? Texiera is a superb defender.

flash
06-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Texiera is batting .220 and has an OPS of .603. The Yankees DH's are hitting about .200 with a .600 OPS. Yeah, he is a good fielder, but first base, DH and a fourth outfielder are places the Yankees could improve.

Vottomatic
06-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Texiera is batting .220 and has an OPS of .603. The Yankees DH's are hitting about .200 with a .600 OPS. Yeah, he is a good fielder, but first base, DH and a fourth outfielder are places the Yankees could improve.

It doesn't matter what his batting average is. They're paying him $20.6M a year. They're not going to replace him.

DirtyBaker
06-09-2010, 12:04 PM
The proposal doesn't make sense to me. Yeah Jeter has 5 years left and it makes Nunez expendable, but I don't think Juan Fransisco is the right way to to go for either side. Fransisco would be a great long term solution or can cover for Rolen should he go to the DL for an extended time. Yankees already have their 3rd baseman.

Yonder Alonso on the other hand is someone the Reds could think about parting ways with if Votto can sign a long term deal to stay in Cincy. I'm not sure how highly the Yankees view him, but given our need for a long term solution at SS and the Yankees needing a DH/1B, this makes more sense.

BuckWild03
06-09-2010, 04:32 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Texiera had a terrible first half to the season last year. Needless to say, he rebounded.

Oxilon
06-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Tex is a lock at 1B for the Yankees for atleast the remainder of his contract. GG defense and Silver Slugger with the bat. Getting caught up in poor numbers for a great hitter in the beginning of June always leads to nonsense.