PDA

View Full Version : Directv HD receivers frozen up nationwide this morning (but you can fix it)

macro
06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I know we have several Directv HD customers here, so I thought I'd pass this along. Maybe it will spare you the panic I endured when I got up this morning. :)

If you have a Directv HD receiver, did you find it non-responsive this morning? If so, you'll want to read this:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=178863

A "red button beboot" means to flip the front panel down on your receiver (mine is an HR20 and it has two, and it's the one on the right - yours may be different) and press the small red button. After you let up, it will take four or five seconds for anything to start to happen. Once it reboots and starts working and showing a picture again, you may find that your remote still won't work (can't change channels, etc.). You'll then need to do a second red button reboot, and they're saying that will fix the problem.

Good luck!

SirFelixCat
06-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Helpful and yup, both of mine were frozen this morning. Thanks for this!

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the update. Apparently from what I read on another forum there was bad guide data and that caused this mess. So 2 red button reboots will clear and reload the guide data to fix the issue.

macro
06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
DirecTV Tweet:

DIRECTV: If your HDDVR will NOT power on, unplug the unit from the wall, wait 15sec, then replug, & repeat 1x to restore service.

redhawkfish
06-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks! Mine is now working!

Chip R
06-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Mine did the same and I unplugged it and rebooted it twice before I got it to work.

RBA
06-08-2010, 02:28 PM
All three here.

KronoRed
06-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Happened here, funny enough I had already kept rebooting them over and over till they worked.

TC81190
06-09-2010, 02:53 AM
I was watching a recorded show this morning when mine turned itself off and said it was updating. I was less than pleased.

GAC
06-09-2010, 05:33 AM
Got home yesterday afternoon with a note from my wife that the DVR was frozen up. Panic, panic, panic! I was at work, so how was I suppose to fix it? Besides, by the time I got home everything was back to normal.

It has happened before in the past and I've always used the red reboot button to fix it.

George Anderson
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Not exactly on topic but Directv is offering a $10 per month discount for 2 years if you are currently paying for HD. It is in response to Dish offering HD for free. One catch is you have to have your payment automatically withdrawn every month but other than that as far as I know there is no other catch. $10 doesn't sound like a lot but over the course of 2 years it adds up.

LoganBuck
06-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Not exactly on topic but Directv is offering a $10 per month discount for 2 years if you are currently paying for HD. It is in response to Dish offering HD for free. One catch is you have to have your payment automatically withdrawn every month but other than that as far as I know there is no other catch. $10 doesn't sound like a lot but over the course of 2 years it adds up.

Thanks George Anderson! I called up and was approved for it right away!

I was already on AutoPay, it was a prerequisite a few years ago when I switched to Directv. At the time(2007) I had to sign up for AutoPay to get Free Sunday Ticket, a Free Coby Portable DVD player, a $50 gift card, and free movie channels for a year.