PDA

View Full Version : Weathers?

Vottomatic
06-08-2010, 04:01 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/08/weathers-willing/

Hmm. With the way things are going, sign him and send him to triple A to get in shape. I used to think we had better than him. Now I'm not so sure.

Better to be ready and have options than to not do anything at all.

bounty37h
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Didnt he rip us apart on his way out, or am I thinking of someone else?

Vottomatic
06-08-2010, 04:08 PM
I don't remember him ripping us.

Fon Duc Tow
06-08-2010, 04:09 PM
If Tackleberry still has any gas left in the tank, I say give him a shot.

Jefferson24
06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
couldn't do mush worse, bullpen sucks now...why not give him a look

Vottomatic
06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Looking at his stats: http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=124000

Only 1 of his 5 seasons as a Red did he give up more hits than innings pitched. His e.r.a. was always under 4.00. Opponents batted .232 against him in 2009, unlike Herrera who has opponents batting over .300 against him.

With the way our bullpen is pitching, we all might welcome Stormy back with open arms. Yikes.

1990REDS
06-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Looking at his stats: http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=124000

Only 1 of his 5 seasons as a Red did he give up more hits than innings pitched. His e.r.a. was always under 4.00. Opponents batted .232 against him in 2009, unlike Herrera who has opponents batting over .300 against him.

With the way our bullpen is pitching, we all might welcome Stormy back with open arms. Yikes.

yikes is right. i spent all of last year wanting him gone thinking he was taking up a spot for someone else. right now i would welcome him back with open arms and a smile on my face:)

ChaseReds
06-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I just threw up in my mouth

Vottomatic
06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I just threw up in my mouth

Yum. Dinner. :p:

mroby85
06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd definitely be in favor of giving it a shot. Weathers wasn't good for the 8th inning, him being in a 6th/7th inning role would be a different story in my opinion, assuming he can still be similar to the way he was before. Better than what they have right now.

captainmorgan07
06-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd much rather see david weather than the likes of herrera, masset, del rosario, lincoln, ondrusek. People may have complained about him but he got the job done for about a 3 or 4 year stretch. Couple of those years he was our closer. I would feel pretty darn good to have the 40 year olds in the 9th weathers and rhodes.

bgwilly31
06-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I miss weathers. I never wanted him gone.

Vottomatic
06-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I'd love to re-sign Weathers (RH). Have Bill Bray (LH) get healthy and come up in a few weeks or so.

Then trade for Matt Thornton (LH) and JJ Putz (RH) with the willing White Sox.

Send Herrera, Ondrusek, Del Rosario, Fisher back to Louisville permanently. Release Lincoln after he comes off the DL.

Bullpen:
Cordero
Rhodes - LH
Weathers
Putz
Thornton - LH
Bray - LH
Masset
Owings?

That would make 13 pitchers, but Owings could be considered a pinch hitter....lol.

If we did all that, it would scare the crap out of St. Loser fans and their team.

Krawhitham
06-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Someone else, at the time he was sad because he claimed he wanted to retire as a Red

COM2010
06-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I believe it. Weathers always seemed like a good guy. As a pitcher, you knew what you were getting with him. Nothing overpowering, could keep out of jams. Sign the guy, but it might be too late (unless he's been working out and stretching all along).

Griffey012
06-08-2010, 05:28 PM
YES! Get it done now. Get him a bit of time in AAA and give him a shot, if he doesn't have it anymore we can get rid of him. He had a 3.32 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP for us last season.

If he can be close to the stormy we have had the past few seasons he moves right behind Rhodes and Cordero, and is neck and neck with Masset.

davereds24
06-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm all for this move, Weathers finishing up the 6th or 7th when the starters are gassed is far better than any current option.

TC81190
06-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Contrary to popular opinion, Weathers was always effective for the Reds, usually keeping runs off the board, even if allowed a baserunner. He also seemed to pitch two innings in relief pretty effectively, I think he had quite a few 2 inning saves for the team.

If he has anything left, I would be glad to see him back. He was probably a big key to the success of the bullpens the past two years.

Road Pop
06-08-2010, 10:30 PM

I think it was Encarnacion that ripped on the way out the door.... I kinda like Rolen better. :D

ian_madden
06-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Can anyone recall what we got for Weather in that deal?

I welcome him back. I didn't like him in the closer role, I didn't like him in the setup role. In the 6th/7th I would have taken him all day and twice on Sunday. Now that we have a few other pieces we need to sign him.

Also, it would be a sign of good faith to a guy that played so many meaningless games here to bring him back to see if we can get a pennant.

bounty37h
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Someone else, at the time he was sad because he claimed he wanted to retire as a Red

Was it Coffee maybe I am thinking of?

texasdave
06-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Can anyone recall what we got for Weather in that deal?

August 9, 2009: Purchased by the Milwaukee Brewers from the Cincinnati Reds.

Reds received Mr. Cash for Mr. Tackleberry.

Vottomatic
06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
According to Fay's blog, calling David Weathers "hasn't crossed my mind" - Walt Jocketty

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/08/jocketty-on-weathers-hasnt-crossed-on-minds/

You've got to be kidding me?

Caveman Techie
06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
What would it hurt to see if Weathers could still be effective in the Majors? Not like he could be any worse than what we have now.

Jack Burton
06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Weathers was terrible, stay away from him.

DirtyBaker
06-09-2010, 01:44 PM
He'd be an upgrade over Lincoln, Hererra, and Ondrusek.

Jack Burton
06-09-2010, 01:47 PM
He was the king of letting inherited runners score.

Oxilon
06-09-2010, 02:05 PM
The only relief pitchers the Reds should be looking at are the ones currently playing for other teams. Obviously our current bullpen (w/ exception to Rhodes) is awful. But looking for support from a retired player (who wasn't even that good when he was playing), a player who's still in the minors recovering from TJ surgery (who also wan't even that good when he was up here), and a player who's in the minors and has a history of nagging injuries isn't the way to go for this team. Plenty of much better options available via trade -- and we have the prospects to pull it off.

davereds24
06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
The only relief pitchers the Reds should be looking at are the ones currently playing for other teams. Obviously our current bullpen (w/ exception to Rhodes) is awful. But looking for support from a retired player (who wasn't even that good when he was playing), a player who's still in the minors recovering from TJ surgery (who also wan't even that good when he was up here), and a player who's in the minors and has a history of nagging injuries isn't the way to go for this team. Plenty of much better options available via trade -- and we have the prospects to pull it off.

His numbers are pretty darn good, especially compared to the rest of the pen (-arthur). Pedro and Clemens did it pretty successful lately, not that I'm making a comparison between them and Weathers but these guys don't just lose in after a few months off when they've been playing forever. He's already said he's in shape and still throws.

Caveman Techie
06-09-2010, 03:03 PM
He was the king of letting inherited runners score.

For 2009 you are somewhat correct while he was with the Reds he had an IS% (Inherited runners Scored%) of 47%, but then he went to Mil. and that dropped down to 25%. However in 2008 he had an IS% that was only at 13%. Just for comparisons sake Arthur Rhodes who is having a phenomenal year so far has an IS% of 11%.

UPRedsFan
06-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I'd prefer other options. Hopefully the Jockety quote means he's exploring better options than Weathers.

Although if you ask me would I rather have Weathers or Lincoln, Fisher, DelRosario, in the 6th or 7th. The answer is Weathers.