PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Picks at a Glance

chicoruiz
06-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Thought some of you would like to access the names without combing through 20+ pages of draft thread... so far we have:

1. Yasmani Grandal, C, U. of Miami
2. Ryan LaMarre, OF, U. of Michigan
3. Devin Lohmann, SS, Long Beach State
4. Brodie Greene, OF, Tex. A&M
5. John (Wes) Mugarian, RHP, Pensacola HS (FL)
6. Drew Cisco, RHP, Wando HS, (SC)
7. Jose (Tony) Amezcua, RHP, Bellflower HS (CA)
8. David Vidal, 3B, Miami-Dade JC
9. Tanner Robles, LHP, Ore St.
10. Kevin Arico, RHP, U. of Virginia
11. Andrew Haynes, RHP, Vanderbilt
12. Kyle Waldrop, OF, Riverside HS, (FL)
13. Lucas O'Rear, RHP, Northern Iowa
14. Dan Wolford, RHP, Cal
15. Stephen Hunt, OF-LHP, USF
16. Robert Kral, C, College of Charleston
17. Brent Peterson, SS (California HS)
18. Robert Maddox, OF Ohio U.

Gallen5862
06-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the list. Hopefully the Reds can sign some of the players like Cisco and wolford.

redsinraleigh
06-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Very minor correction - Cisco is from Wando HS in Mt Pleasant, SC...

WebScorpion
06-08-2010, 06:41 PM
...and Amezcuais a RHP rather than a PHP (whatever that is;)) I look forward to seeing these guys in Billings and the GCL later in the year! :thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Baseball America on Reds 5th rounder Wes Mugarian:

Update: The Reds popped Florida high school righthander Wes Mugarian. Mugarian's last outing before the draft was in the FACA Baseball Classic, a high school all-star game in Florida. Here is what I wrote about him two weeks ago at that event: "Mugarian showed better velocity at today's even than he did in the summer. He was 90-92 mph in the first inning and touched 93. He mixed in a 75-77 mph curveball that he got under a few times, but he also threw some for strikes in on righthanders. The first batter of the game reached on an error, but Mugarian got the next hitter to hit a ground ball, which started a nice 1-6-3 double play. Mugarian got into some trouble in the second inning. He walked the first three batters he faced, but got another double-play ball on the fourth hitter and got out of the inning after allowing just one run to score. Mugarian was mostly fastball-curveball, but also mixed in a few sliders and changeups."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2443#more-2443

OnBaseMachine
06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Baseball America on Reds 12th rounder Kyle Waldrop:

The Reds got another intriguing pick out of Florida in prep outfielder Kyle Waldrop, who has excellent bat speed and athletic ability but is a bit short on track record.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2467#more-2467

camisadelgolf
06-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I love the Tanner Robles pick. He has drawn some comparison to Barry Zito and Clayton Kershaw. I'm guessing there are signability concerns since he was available that late in the draft.

Boss-Hog
06-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I have removed some posts in order to get this thread back on track.

Benihana
06-08-2010, 09:37 PM
It is crazy, since Buckley took over, every hitter drafted in the first 3 rounds with the exception of Alonso has been a C, SS, or CF - Grandal, LaMarre, Lohman, Hamilton, Stubbs, Valaika, Mesoraco, Frazier, Cozart, Soto.

Of course, many players often play SS or CF simply because they are the most athletic positions on the field, but only two of those guys (Frazier and Soto) have since moved off of the middle of the diamond. 8 out of 11 hitters drafted staying in the middle of the field is pretty insane, especially when you add on 4 of the 5 biggest international signings play there as well (Yorman, Perez, Valor and Arias.)

No corner guys for this regime!

nemesis
06-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Well it lets you know they think of those positions of a premium...

Gallen5862
06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2010xteam.php?team=1005

Cincinnati Reds

Players signed indicated in Bold

Round Overall Player Position School State
1 12 Yasmani Grandal C Miami Fla.
2 62 Ryan LaMarre OF Michigan Mich.
3 94 Devin Lohman SS Long Beach State Calif.
4 127 Brodie Greene 2B Texas A&M Texas
5 157 Wes Mugarian RHP Pensacola (Fla.) Catholic HS Fla.
6 187 Drew Cisco RHP Wando HS, Mt. Pleasant, S.C. S.C.
7 217 Tony Amezcua RHP Bellflower (Calif.) HS Calif.
8 247 David Vidal 3B Miami-Dade JC Fla.
9 277 Tanner Robles LHP Oregon State Ore.
10 307 Kevin Arico RHP Virginia Va.
11 337 Andrew Hayes RHP Vanderbilt Tenn.
12 367 Kyle Waldrop OF Riverdale HS, Fort Myers, Fla. Fla.
13 397 Lucas O'Rear RHP Northern Iowa Iowa
14 427 Daniel Wolford RHP California Calif.
15 457 Stephen Hunt LHP South Florida Fla.
16 487 Rob Kral C College of Charleston S.C.
17 517 Brent Peterson SS Liberty HS, Bakersfield, Calif. Calif.
18 547 Robert Maddox OF Ohio Ohio
19 577 Josh Alexander OF Mountain Pointe HS, Phoenix Ariz.
20 607 Chris Berset C Michigan Mich.
21 637 Josh Smith RHP Lipscomb Fla.
22 667 Kurtis Muller OF Iowa Iowa
23 697 Randy Fontanez RHP South Florida Fla.
24 727 Patrick Doyle RHP Missouri State Mo.
25 757 Dan Renken RHP Cal State Fullerton Calif.
26 787 Ty Stuckey LHP Houston Texas
27 817 Joel Bender LHP Oak Hills HS, Cincinnati Ohio
28 847 Chad Rogers RHP Galveston (Texas) CC Texas
29 877 Muenster Muenster 3B Kansas St Kan.
30 907 Brad Hendrix SS Auburn Ala.

corkedbat
06-09-2010, 12:59 AM
We used to make fun of "Pants" and his infatuation with Toolsy corner OFers, but this organization could use a few.

Benihana
06-09-2010, 10:26 AM
We used to make fun of "Pants" and his infatuation with Toolsy corner OFers, but this organization could use a few.

Brentz in Round 2 would have been amazing. Reports are he's ready to sign for slot money. Oh well.

OnBaseMachine
06-09-2010, 12:57 PM
From the Reds website:

Round 6, 187th overall, RHP Drew Cisco: Cisco is the grandson of former Major League pitcher and pitching coach Galen Cisco, as well as the brother of current Phillies Double-A prospect Mike Cisco. The Wando High School (S.C.) prospect committed to the University of Georgia, but he expects to sign with the Reds.

Excellent news if true.

Round 12, 367th overall, CF Kyle Waldrop: A 6-foot-3 center fielder from Riverdale High School in Florida, Waldrop has signed to play at the University of South Florida. He's a left-handed hitter with the potential to develop power.]

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100609&content_id=10977568&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Waldrop would be an excellent sign too. Hopefully the Reds can get it done.

icehole3
06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
other than 2 3rd Basemen and a 2nd Baseman, all the position guys are CFs, SSs and Cs, I love it

Benihana
06-09-2010, 03:16 PM
other than 2 3rd Basemen and a 2nd Baseman, all the position guys are CFs, SSs and Cs, I love it

Plus, I've seen reports linking one of those 3B (Vidal) to C and the 2B (Greene) to CF.

Farnsie
06-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Muenster Muenster... For a second I hoped that really was his name.

OnBaseMachine
06-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Article from the Reds website:

Their first four picks were college players before taking a trio of high school pitchers in the next three: Wes Mugarian of Pensacola Catholic in Florida, Drew Cisco of Wando in South Carolina and Jose Amezcua of Bellflower in California.

Cisco, who was selected No. 187 overall, is someone Buckley said probably fell a little bit because of signability concerns. As a backup plan if he can't reach a deal with the Reds, he has signed on to play at the University of Georgia.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100609&content_id=10987746&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

edabbs44
06-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Looks like 46th round pick Pat Quinn has a history (including bouncing from school to school) but also looks to be pretty talented.

The University of Maine baseball team will head into the homestretch of the 2009 season without the services of its most effective pitcher.

Freshman righthander Pat Quinn, 19, has been suspended from the team for the remainder of the season after an April 27 incident during which he received a summons for illegal possession of liquor by a minor and was subsequently arrested for disorderly conduct.

The arrest was not Quinn’s first brush with authority during his freshman year.

Quinn reportedly was identified after he called one of the residents on the phone and used obscene language and called her names. Later that night, Quinn left a phone message for a female resident, saying he was going to “light her up.” She believed she was in physical danger.

Quinn posted a 6-0 record this spring for the Black Bears. His 1.42 earned run average is the lowest on the squad and he registered 33 strikeouts in 38 innings. Opponents were batting .147 against him.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/105351.html

To be fair, I also read a post or two somewhere saying he seems to have cleaned up his act a bit in JUCO. Hopefully, for his sake, this was just stupid college antics.

redsfandan
06-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Looks like 46th round pick Pat Quinn has a history (including bouncing from school to school) but also looks to be pretty talented.

Quote:
Quinn reportedly was identified after he called one of the residents on the phone and used obscene language and called her names. Later that night, Quinn left a phone message for a female resident, saying he was going to “light her up.” She believed she was in physical danger.

Quote:
Quinn posted a 6-0 record this spring for the Black Bears. His 1.42 earned run average is the lowest on the squad and he registered 33 strikeouts in 38 innings. Opponents were batting .147 against him.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/105351.html

To be fair, I also read a post or two somewhere saying he seems to have cleaned up his act a bit in JUCO. Hopefully, for his sake, this was just stupid college antics.

Great, can we trade him to the Rays or Nats? I hear those teams will tolerate those kind of guys for a while. That's a little beyond "stupid college antics".

edabbs44
06-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Great, can we trade him to the Rays or Nats? I hear those teams will tolerate those kind of guys for a while. That's a little beyond "stupid college antics".

Maybe, not knowing the whole story. It could be a lot worse or he could have been really immature as an 18 year old with alcohol involved.

redsfandan
06-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Maybe, not knowing the whole story. It could be a lot worse or he could have been really immature as an 18 year old with alcohol involved.
Maybe, but he's a 46th round draft pick. If he shows again that he has no respect for women I'd cut him.

DirtyBaker
06-10-2010, 02:16 PM
18. Robert Maddox, OF Ohio U. :thumbup:

camisadelgolf
06-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Maybe, but he's a 46th round draft pick. If he shows again that he has no respect for women I'd cut him.
Cut him? That's pretty violent. Why not just light him up?

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Cisco, No. 74 nationally, also has a nice plan B. Baseball America's Jon Manuel says Cisco is so polished as a pitcher that you have to compare him to a college pitcher who is entering the MLB draft. If Cisco doesn't get the signing bonus he wants, he can head to Athens, Ga., in the fall and be the ace of the University of Georgia's pitching staff next spring.

"It's not fair to compare him to other high school pitchers," Manuel said of Cisco. "He's atypical. Most high school pitchers have stuff and aren't polished. He's polished, so polished and mature.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/jun/07/parker-cisco-have-an-enviable-plan-b/

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Sign Cisco!!

BillDoran
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/jun/07/parker-cisco-have-an-enviable-plan-b/

That seems logical when you're the grandson of a long-time pitching coach.

His pop's pops was Galen Cisco, the pride of St. Marys, Ohio.

Following his playing retirement, Cisco became a respected pitching coach for the Royals, Montreal Expos, San Diego Padres, Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies. He spent six seasons with the Blue Jays (1990-1995), helping his team to won three consecutive American League East Division titles (1991-93) and two World Series (1992-93). Under his tweaking and guidance, Paul Byrd, Robert Person and Randy Wolf developed as starters with the Phillies (1997-2000).

Scrap Irony
06-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I'd love to see how experts grade out the draft. IMO, the Red Sox did well (getting Brentz late to pair with Vitek and Cecchini in the fourth round). They're apparenty all signing as well.

Who comes after?

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd love to see how experts grade out the draft. IMO, the Red Sox did well (getting Brentz late to pair with Vitek and Cecchini in the fourth round). They're apparenty all signing as well.

Who comes after?

The Red Sox are just unreal, why they take those "name" guys and don't neccessarily overspend to get them anymore than anyone else would and do for the most part as expected with their development makes you wonder why so many teams pass over them in the 1st place. I guess Detroit has had some recent success on that front as well though they usually spend more to get it done.