PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick of the negativity in the Sun Deck....

Kingspoint
06-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Sorry, but it's really gotten worse the last 6 weeks, and I'm sick of it from most of you who are writing it.

This is the best season the REDS have had and will have since 1995 and the Sun Deck is filled with 80% whining.

The REDS are in First Place in the Division.

Try to enjoy it a little.

I know there's a lot of young people (under 27 years of age) in this forum and that has a lot to do with it, but it's a long season.

I'm sorry if you don't like my "calling you out who know who you are", but too bad. You know who you are. I'm far from a Homer, but can you just try a little bit to enjoy this once in decade kind of season.

For many of you this is the best season you'll ever see in your lives, and it's passing you by.

There's lot's of pitching help on the way, and we've found out that we've got another good pitcher in Sam LeCure as he's been excellent over his 3 starts so far. What a gift he's been to the team.

Go REDS!

ian_madden
06-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm With you King. I feel like some people are more fans of complaining than reds fans. I'm enjoying it. Yeah I wish the reds had the same bullpen from last year. I'm ok. This team has surprised me in a lot of ways. ENJOY 1ST PLACE!!!!!!!!

DaytonFlyer
06-09-2010, 09:38 AM
I haven't been a negative I don't think, but if this is the best season I am going to see for the rest of my life, you might as well shoot me now.

lidspinner
06-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I am with ya King...the negativity sucks. BUt I try and look at each view and try hard to remember that diferent opinions are what makes this board so much fun. If we all sat back and rubbed each others feet as we compliment the Reds every night then this board would fold in a years time. What makes it fun is I get to log on here everyday and see guys complain that Coco sucks and we need to trade him......then you follow that up with actual proven stats that prove otherwise and I get to sit and think up my own opinion on Coco based on my thoughts. Lets face it, we all like reading opinions that differ from ours cause we get to try to convince people that their opinions are wrong.

The constant griping gets old, but it also allows me to see the Reds fans from another view, even if I dont like it or agree.

But Yes, we all could try to be a little more liberal when thinking the Reds suck. I see great things for this teams future and we are finally headed in the right direction, and that is the 1st time in 10 years that I have said that and knew it was true. We have talent, we have young talent, we have a GREAT team. Lets enjoy it.

texasdave
06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
There is no crying in baseball.

bounty37h
06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Better be careful King, I called a guy out for being a negative whiner all the time here, and even questioned if he really is a fan as he never has a positive word to say on here, and I got notice of being a bad boy from our admin's (without a response when I emailed asking why I was flagged when he is the one flaming/trolling). Wow, that was one long run on sentence....

texasdave
06-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Here is a simple solution. If you feel a person/persons are too negative for your taste, put him/her/them on ignore. Problem solved.

I bet noone on this board even read this. =)

muddie
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
I didn't expect the Reds to be as good as they have been and I realize, as pointed out prior, it is a long season yet. I thought Louisville would be the newsmaker this year and it has been the Reds themselves.

brm7675
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Sorry but with the talent this team has and to be playing the way they are and to have someone with no clue at the helm, then you are going to get this. As long as Dusty is in charge this team will not reach it's potential and if Walt doesn't get on the stick and make improvements in the bullpen then this team is sunk...:thumbdown

Sorry, but it's really gotten worse the last 6 weeks, and I'm sick of it from most of you who are writing it.

This is the best season the REDS have had and will have since 1995 and the Sun Deck is filled with 80% whining.

I know there's a lot of young people (under 27 years of age) in this forum and that has a lot to do with it, but it's a long season.

I'm sorry if you don't like my "calling you out who know who you are", but too bad. You know who you are. I'm far from a Homer, but can you just try a little bit to enjoy this once in decade kind of season.

For many of you this is the best season you'll ever see in your lives, and it's passing you by.

There's lot's of pitching help on the way, and we've found out that we've got another good pitcher in Sam LeCure as he's been excellent over his 3 starts so far. What a gift he's been to the team.

Go REDS!

texasdave
06-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I think if you come on to a message board and tell people how to act (PUSH), that they are going to continue posting in the same vein (PUSH BACK).

bounty37h
06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Sorry but with the talent this team has and to be playing the way they are and to have someone with no clue at the helm, then you are going to get this. As long as Dusty is in charge this team will not reach it's potential and if Walt doesn't get on the stick and make improvements in the bullpen then this team is sunk...:thumbdown

I see what your saying, but think most in baseball thought we would be middle of pack or worse yet again this year, so we are doing better then I think most people thought we would this season so far.

Vottomatic
06-09-2010, 10:38 AM
YouTube - No Crying in Baseball (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t48brs4QRjY)

Fon Duc Tow
06-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Complaining about complaining?

Interesting concept.

Vottomatic
06-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Reminds me of Rick Pitino's rant in March of 2000 when he was coach of the Boston Celtics. "......all the negativity in this town sucks!"

FlyerFanatic
06-09-2010, 11:15 AM
this is the best season i'll see in my life? i hope not, if thats the case, i need to find a new team.

Magdal
06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm new around here but the negativity you speak of may just be frustration at the team taking 1st place and then grinding to a halt. This is the perfect time to pull away from the Cards. Pujols and Holliday underachieving, Molina in a deep slump, 2 infielders hitting a combined .210 or so and leading the NL in errors.

There's more: 2 starters on the DL with NOBODY to cover them, and Freese the ROY candidate out for a while and their best hitter since he got his new eye prescription, Rasmus also sidelined. Those 2 went down on the same day and the Cards have not won a game since!

Yet, the Reds make no ground....the Cubs gotta be getting ideas!

arkimadee
06-09-2010, 12:08 PM
I feel that message boards are made for negativity. I have never been on one where no one complains about anything. I don't have a problem with people complaining about things that need fixed. The thing that bothers me is that when we lose one game some people on here say "we suck, this seasons over," and so on. I get mad and complain alot during our losses but I think it has alot to do with, I have seen this before. I think if we made the playoffs this year I could be a more relaxed viewer of Reds baseball.

COM2010
06-09-2010, 12:11 PM
the comments that really get to me are the "he sucks". if you think he sucks, try and explain why or back it up with numbers, but saying that a player sucks is just lame. said player may not be as good as his peers, but he's in the big leagues for a reason.

tsj017
06-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Best season since '95?

Reds won 96 games in '99 and lost a one-game wild-card playoff.

texasdave
06-09-2010, 12:34 PM
the comments that really get to me are the "he sucks". if you think he sucks, try and explain why or back it up with numbers, but saying that a player sucks is just lame. said player may not be as good as his peers, but he's in the big leagues for a reason.

It depends on which forum that type of comment is made. If it is in the Sun
Deck forum then, of course, it should be backed up with facts, examples or something. If it is made in the Game Thread after a player makes an error or strikes out with runners in scoring position then that is fine.

Jefferson24
06-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Best season since '95?

Reds won 96 games in '99 and lost a one-game wild-card playoff.

I think it is unlikely the reds win 96 games this year. They had a similar record this time last year and that didn't turn out to well. I suspect this year will end with a much better result but 96 games seems a little high.

ChaseReds
06-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Go REDS!

Two "Sun Deck" slamming's in a week. You are on a roll Kingspoint. While you might be trying to make a valid point your condescending tone overshadows your efforts.

I understand the elite status of tORG members but that gives you no right to generalize and group all Sun Deck members. Attempting to make your point by generalizing and insulting others is like saying "my car's faster than yours"... the only problem is your car lacks the wheels to get anywhere.

Fon Duc Tow
06-09-2010, 01:02 PM
My car has wheels. :all_cohol

bgwilly31
06-09-2010, 01:08 PM
i lol'd at the best season i will see in my life comment.

And were suppose to be the negative ones.

How is that comment positive at all. :D

The Voice of IH
06-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Though it is nice that the Reds are in first place and all.....this is really nothing special. The Reds are notorious for doing this, starting out strong and falling completely off. plus the Bull Pen sucks, see there are two reasons right there to be negative.

Now I am not saying that either of those two things can't change this season, but I am saying there are reasons to be spectacle and a downer at times. :(

Jack Burton
06-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Better be careful King, I called a guy out for being a negative whiner all the time here, and even questioned if he really is a fan as he never has a positive word to say on here, and I got notice of being a bad boy from our admin's (without a response when I emailed asking why I was flagged when he is the one flaming/trolling). Wow, that was one long run on sentence....

Dry those tears slugger

Parliament
06-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm starting to get the idea that Kingsport doesn't like the sun deck :p:

mlh1981
06-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Slumps happen during the season. We are in one right now. However, unlike past teams, I trust the character on this squad to overcome this 3-6 spell we are going through right now. I don't believe the leadership on this team will allow the rest to settle for mediocrity.

webbbj
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
it is kinda nice to have the cardinals struggle at the same time as us.

bleedsred
06-09-2010, 03:34 PM
When teams lose games, the fans have a right to complain. Best season I ever saw was the 1990 Reds "Wire to Wire". That was and forever will be the best Reds team I ever watched.

With guys at the plate performing and rookies like Leake and Lecure stepping up and giving good innings it is hard not to be negative about guys like Massett (who has a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head), Danny Ray, Lincoln, and Cordero.

UPRedsFan
06-09-2010, 03:41 PM
I have always wondered if anyone in Reds management (you know, a lower level marketing staffer) gets assigned to keep up with this board. Most businesses like to stay close to the customer and see things through the eyes of their customer to deliver a better product. Obviously winning games is the best measure of the Reds product. But they really want to sell more tickets. If they frequent this board at all to get an insight into what the average or above average fan values, then a little complaining isn't a bad thing.

Take it for what it's worth (someone's opinion and emotional reaction to losses). Don't let it ruin your day Kingspoint. You and I can stay positive and post positive messages on this board and point out the good things about this season. Others can express their negative feelings. That's what makes it an interesting board like someone else said. And if the negativity has any influence at all and prompts management to pull the trigger on roster decisions they're probably considering already, then that's a good thing. Let them hear from the fans!

Kingspoint
06-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I haven't been a negative I don't think, but if this is the best season I am going to see for the rest of my life, you might as well shoot me now.

This is just the beginning. They should continue to improve each of the next several years. There's a 100-win season in the near future with this team.

Kingspoint
06-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Here is a simple solution. If you feel a person/persons are too negative for your taste, put him/her/them on ignore. Problem solved.

While that's a solution, I've never considered doing such a thing. I want to hear everyone's opinions, even if they stem from frustration. I was just looking forward to a more "positive" spin in the Sun Deck this season because it looks like a real playoff run for the first time in a long, long time.

I guess these are my own frustrations.

Anyway, still looking forward to reading everyone's comments whatever they may be.

Go REDS!

COM2010
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I think that as long as folks stay away from the "you must not be a fan" or "go and root for some other team" type comments, there is no reason The Sun Deck can't feel like home. Guys, if you think that someone is being 'negative' and you feel it is unwarranted, then educate the person. Present a case for the player/manager/whoever who you think is being attacked. Calling a person out does nothing but fuel the fire and your own paranoia. There are beautiful pelicans out there covered in oil, and we're sitting here complaining about what another person types. :(

Griffey012
06-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I am always on the positive, it just makes the season more fun, regardless of whether we look like we are for real or not. But I understand many peoples recent frustrations.

We always start out the season in first at this point in time or very close to it.
We always hit June and suuuuck.
It's June and we have started looking poor already.
The negativity early on, or after any of the few games we lost in May was a bit ridiculous.
But currently, people have some justification to get worried.

I however, am still fully on the positive and am looking forward to tonight's game (even with Harang on the hill)

NeilHamburger
06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Well, we are 3-6 in our last 9. It's not like people can just ignore it and post like the team is playing great. The reds have a history these last 10 years on having a good streak, sometimes early and sometimes late in the year, and then sucking.

The second this team played decent competition in St. Louis and The Giants they have looked completely overmatched. That worries me about the future this year. Especially with The Dodgers, Phils, Oakland at Oakland and the Rockies all coming up soon.

bgwilly31
06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
We all need to put on our Red colored glasses.

Somebody start passing these around the sun-deck! :D

http://www.robertburridge.com/newsletter/artsyfartsy_jan09/images/Bob_with_Rose_Colored_Glasses.jpg

Vottomatic
06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
You gotta take the good with the bad. We matched the Giants each night with our starters keeping us in both games. The bullpen lost it for us.

They scored 5 runs on Barry Zito who had a sub-3.00 e.r.a. before that game. Yes, they struggled against Matt Cain, but made several baserunning blunders that might have cost them a few runs, after getting 7 hits against him.

I don't feel like we were owned or anything. We just need to improve our bullpen.

You can't be on fire all season long. Ask the Phillies and Cards. Even the Rays have cooled off a bit of late. You're going to go through hitting slumps and pitching slumps. It happens.

If they continue to slump, then I'll get worried. But for now, we're still tied for first place. And Walt has a chance to do something about the bullpen, or maybe some of these current guys come around.

Natty Redlocks
06-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Two "Sun Deck" slamming's in a week. You are on a roll Kingspoint. While you might be trying to make a valid point your condescending tone overshadows your efforts.

I understand the elite status of tORG members but that gives you no right to generalize and group all Sun Deck members. Attempting to make your point by generalizing and insulting others is like saying "my car's faster than yours"... the only problem is your car lacks the wheels to get anywhere.

I agree with this here sentiment. The dude is borderline trolling.

Vottomatic
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Your post reminds me of the one I responded with about Kingspoint's Cordero thread where he bashed all of us.

I'm with you. I don't like being talked down to. :beerme:

Reds42MLB
06-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm 22 but I agree with the youth over blowing every little thing. 1 loss and it turns into meltdown city. They don't see the big picture, nor do they completely understand it. People today are so spoiled and selfish that sports has turned into a "what have you done for me in the past 24 hrs" spectacle.

If a guy makes 1 mistake, 1 bad pitch, 1 bad decision then all of the good he has done in recent memory is completely pushed to the back and that one instance is glorified as if the world were coming to an end. The problem with most people on here that cry, whine, moan, and offer their "armchair" opinions is that they don't have any perspective. They are a bunch of young, brat ass punks simply put.

markymark69
06-09-2010, 09:19 PM

Two things to that response.

One: I didn't know about the ignore. Two: That would wipe out about 2/3 of the board for me.

Griffey012
06-09-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm 22 but I agree with the youth over blowing every little thing. 1 loss and it turns into meltdown city. They don't see the big picture, nor do they completely understand it. People today are so spoiled and selfish that sports has turned into a "what have you done for me in the past 24 hrs" spectacle.

If a guy makes 1 mistake, 1 bad pitch, 1 bad decision then all of the good he has done in recent memory is completely pushed to the back and that one instance is glorified as if the world were coming to an end. The problem with most people on here that cry, whine, moan, and offer their "armchair" opinions is that they don't have any perspective. They are a bunch of young, brat ass punks simply put.

I am 23, and I don't necessarily think youth has anything to do with it, if anything those who are a bit older and have watched the Reds fail miserably a lot more than us younger crowd (and have probably spent much more money on the Reds) have a bit more reason to be quicker to turn negative. In all reality its just some people see things half full, some see them half empty. Some people may be having a day and the Reds make things worse, etc.

The negativity just makes me root harder for the Reds to prove the naysayers wrong. So I welcome it in a way.

Good win tonight.

Vottomatic
06-09-2010, 10:14 PM
I am 23, and I don't necessarily think youth has anything to do with it, if anything those who are a bit older and have watched the Reds fail miserably a lot more than us younger crowd (and have probably spent much more money on the Reds) have a bit more reason to be quicker to turn negative. In all reality its just some people see things half full, some see them half empty. Some people may be having a day and the Reds make things worse, etc.

The negativity just makes me root harder for the Reds to prove the naysayers wrong. So I welcome it in a way.

Good win tonight.

I'm going to be 45 on June 19th. I've been both lucky enough to see the Reds win the '75, '76 and '90 World Series, and had to suffer through the last 10+ years.

But while I've hated the losing, I've been able to see "real ownership and management" rebuild this thing and that has been fun in itself. I really believe in this team and think they may be ahead of schedule this year and accomplishing more than many thought they could at this point.

While the young guys need to continue to mature and improve, they've come along way. And veterans like Rolen and OCab have really helped this team mature too.

It's funny to me how we have this abundance of potential and realy starting pitching, but our history of developing good bullpen help hasn't come to fruition this season.

Anyway........I'm neither too high or too low regarding this team. I think they will be there in the end. They definitely will have a winning season, but may come up short making the playoffs.

defender
06-09-2010, 10:18 PM
I agree that the team deserves more positivity, but I can't really complain about anybody who has stuck around after 10 losing seasons.

kfm
06-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I think this board is negative. However, I just think that is the nature of people and based upon 10 years of losing it is pretty much expected. When people are not happy some people need to vent and that is why most sports message boards even for teams who are good are full of negativity. There are curently websites dedicated to firing, that I know of, the managers of the Yanks, Cubs, Rays and Dodgers. The same thing is true of talk show callers, people rarely are moved to speak out when they are happy with the way something is going (often referrered to the silent majority), but when people are not happy they are far more likely to call a talkshow and vent. I think it is theraputic and there is also something to finding people who have the same point of view, as the old saying goes, "misery loves company." I can see the traffic on here when the Reds win vs. when they lose. When they were winning game after game, it seemed like the board was much more quiet than it was when they were 7-11. I have to admit when I heard about the Rolen trade, the first thing I wanted to do was come to redzsone and complain. All these months later, I am more than happy to come on and admit I was wrong. I think the board would not seem as negative if a few of the people who only come to the board to trash the team, the manager, the ownership would be willing to post and admit they are wrong sometimes, as many posters do.

Reds
06-10-2010, 01:01 AM
if no one complained when we lost we'd be the Cubs

Kingspoint
06-10-2010, 01:24 AM
if no one complained when we lost we'd be the Cubs

We're in First Place right now.

Where are the Cubs?

Reds
06-10-2010, 02:23 AM
We're in First Place right now.

Where are the Cubs?

6.5 games back, I think. But really, unless you win 120 games there's going to be ups and downs and complaining.

nemesis
06-10-2010, 02:26 AM
The offensive slump started when Hanigan broke his thumb. I think the Pitching / Catching rotation took some getting used to after a few guys had fallen into a groove as well.

Since Hanigan went down excluding his 4-4 game with 2 HR's... Hernandez is 5 for 26 with 0 XBH, 2 RBI's and 1 run scored and 4 BB's...

Hernandez is only OPSing .568 in June... Corky is OPSing... .000

11 total games played without Hanigan. The Reds record in those games are 5 - 6...

The 11 games he started prior to his thumb injury, the team record was 9 - 2. With an OBP north of .400 and a OPS north of .830. Watch he gets back in two weeks and the offense has another break out.

texasdave
06-10-2010, 02:35 AM
One problem is that Dusty's strength (handling players) is something that fans don't directly see. While Dusty's weakness (game management) can be observed on a more routine basis. So he doesn't get enough credit for the things he does well and probably a little more criticism than is warranted for the things he doesn't do so well.

webbbj
06-10-2010, 02:57 AM
i will stay positive about this year and future years for a while i think b/c i trust the people running the team to do things right. i trust the people drafting our players, i trust the minor league development, i trust the GM to put the right coaching staff in place and make timely and smart moves and not panic and just stick with the plan.

in the past i could not say that b/c i didnt trust the GM, we didnt have a good plan for success and didnt develop players in the right way.

my expectations for this year was 80 wins so as of now the reds are exceeding my expectations.

everyone needs to know this is a marathon not a sprint. i expect the reds to go back and forth with st louis a good majority of the year. every team will go through stretches where they play below .500 and if they are is good as i think they can be they will also more stretches of above .500.

luckily the reds have a deep pitching staff and someone should step up to end any streak like Harang did tonite.

i dont think we have been swept in a series since ATL and that was only 2 games.

Kingspoint
06-10-2010, 04:02 AM
6.5 games back, I think. But really, unless you win 120 games there's going to be ups and downs and complaining.

The Mariners won 116, and got nothing for it (except a fun season for those who attended the games).

bounty37h
06-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Your post reminds me of the one I responded with about Kingspoint's Cordero thread where he bashed all of us.

I'm with you. I don't like being talked down to. :beerme:

I think you guys are being too sensitive as well, I didnt think he was grouping me with anyone, or many others here eiter, or talking down to us. I think he said Sun Deck cause thats where we are, but wasnt grouping everyone into the category.

bounty37h
06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
I think this board is negative. However, I just think that is the nature of people and based upon 10 years of losing it is pretty much expected. When people are not happy some people need to vent and that is why most sports message boards even for teams who are good are full of negativity. There are curently websites dedicated to firing, that I know of, the managers of the Yanks, Cubs, Rays and Dodgers. The same thing is true of talk show callers, people rarely are moved to speak out when they are happy with the way something is going (often referrered to the silent majority), but when people are not happy they are far more likely to call a talkshow and vent. I think it is theraputic and there is also something to finding people who have the same point of view, as the old saying goes, "misery loves company." I can see the traffic on here when the Reds win vs. when they lose. When they were winning game after game, it seemed like the board was much more quiet than it was when they were 7-11. I have to admit when I heard about the Rolen trade, the first thing I wanted to do was come to redzsone and complain. All these months later, I am more than happy to come on and admit I was wrong. I think the board would not seem as negative if a few of the people who only come to the board to trash the team, the manager, the ownership would be willing to post and admit they are wrong sometimes, as many posters do.

:beerme: I like your message here. I dont always agree with a lot I read here, but respect the rights and thoughts behind it. I even understand the negativity from time to time, I can do that also, but it usually jsut means you at least care. Its the 1 or 2 on here that only rip the team, players, manager all the time, but never have any other comments, ideas, compliments, or come by when we are winning etc that bug me and I wonder their intent here.

roby
06-10-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm starting to get the idea that Kingsport doesn't like the sun deck :p:

How could you even think that about such a positive guy? ;)

bgwilly31
06-10-2010, 11:30 AM
The offensive slump started when Hanigan broke his thumb. I think the Pitching / Catching rotation took some getting used to after a few guys had fallen into a groove as well.

Since Hanigan went down excluding his 4-4 game with 2 HR's... Hernandez is 5 for 26 with 0 XBH, 2 RBI's and 1 run scored and 4 BB's...

Hernandez is only OPSing .568 in June... Corky is OPSing... .000

11 total games played without Hanigan. The Reds record in those games are 5 - 6...

The 11 games he started prior to his thumb injury, the team record was 9 - 2. With an OBP north of .400 and a OPS north of .830. Watch he gets back in two weeks and the offense has another break out.

I posted the same thing about hanigan in a game thread after watching yet another big situation with hernandez up and him hitting into a easy DP.

We need hanigan.

And watching corky play last night. His bat is right there. he just needs a few plate appearances to get going.

MrMcConnell
06-10-2010, 11:42 AM
1.) Why do you care that some people here are realists? We've been in first place in June, or at least been in contention into June before and ended up with 70 something wins in a season. Why should we be blind with joy that we're in first place? Not to mention, we're in one of the worst divisions in baseball which helps our being in first place and making us look better than we really are. We're +8 in our division and at .500 or below against everyone else.

2) Would a lot of you be real happy with a first place finish and a first round exit in the playoffs? I wouldn't be. I guess I'd be more optimistic about next year, but the goal is to win a championship, not a first place finish in the NL Central.

3) Dusty's managing doesn't have as much effect as people would like to admit. In the end, the players are responsible for 95% of the wins. MLB managers have proven to be one of the most overrated coaches in sports.

bounty37h
06-10-2010, 12:43 PM
1.) Why do you care that some people here are realists? We've been in first place in June, or at least been in contention into June before and ended up with 70 something wins in a season. Why should we be blind with joy that we're in first place? Not to mention, we're in one of the worst divisions in baseball which helps our being in first place and making us look better than we really are. We're +8 in our division and at .500 or below against everyone else.

2) Would a lot of you be real happy with a first place finish and a first round exit in the playoffs? I wouldn't be. I guess I'd be more optimistic about next year, but the goal is to win a championship, not a first place finish in the NL Central.

3) Dusty's managing doesn't have as much effect as people would like to admit. In the end, the players are responsible for 95% of the wins. MLB managers have proven to be one of the most overrated coaches in sports.

Because thats part of the fun and ride of the season?
As for would I take a first place finish and first round exit, no, but I wouldnt "take" anything; its wondering, watching, hoping that makes us watch. If this scenario plays out, heck yes I will be ecstatic for us doing that this year, and look forward through the off season even more towards next season.

Mr Larkin
06-10-2010, 05:12 PM

You may not realize this, but I have never seen a manager be given an easy time on this board. I truly believe that Jesus would have a hard time managing the Reds according to this site.

I was reading recently that there are Rays fans who are seething that Maddox, I think that's his name, is a horrible manager. He is the guy who took a team that has never won or found respect to being one of the majors top teams.

Jerry Narron was a moron - according to most here. Bob Boone had never watched a game of baseball in his life - according to some on this site. So, stop stabbing Dusty and enjoy a successful first 1/3 of he season.

Mr Larkin
06-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm new around here but the negativity you speak of may just be frustration at the team taking 1st place and then grinding to a halt. This is the perfect time to pull away from the Cards. Pujols and Holliday underachieving, Molina in a deep slump, 2 infielders hitting a combined .210 or so and leading the NL in errors.

There's more: 2 starters on the DL with NOBODY to cover them, and Freese the ROY candidate out for a while and their best hitter since he got his new eye prescription, Rasmus also sidelined. Those 2 went down on the same day and the Cards have not won a game since!

Yet, the Reds make no ground....the Cubs gotta be getting ideas!

Who's in first?

Mr Larkin
06-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I feel that message boards are made for negativity. I have never been on one where no one complains about anything. I don't have a problem with people complaining about things that need fixed. The thing that bothers me is that when we lose one game some people on here say "we suck, this seasons over," and so on. I get mad and complain alot during our losses but I think it has alot to do with, I have seen this before. I think if we made the playoffs this year I could be a more relaxed viewer of Reds baseball.

I wonder if a word from Heaven - "This is my team in whom I am well pleased" - during the seventh inning stretch with a flock of doves descending from the sky would make the majority of people on this board more relaxed and positive.

Mr Larkin
06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
it is hard not to be negative about guys like Massett (who has a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head), Danny Ray, Lincoln, and Cordero.

No its not. Go Reds - regardless!

markymark69
06-10-2010, 09:35 PM

I agree with your post and you make some great points. The thing that gets me with this board and the talk shows for that matter is that posters/callers focus on one or two bad things in a game in which the team won! I thought winning was what counted, not how you got there. Same way with the Bengals last year, they go to the playoffs (a rarity indeed) and fans griped the whole freaking year (but I guess that is for BengalsZone).

Why must they always have to wait for the other shoe to drop. Why can't they just enjoy success right now. First place right now is success, it's fun. If they fall out of it - complain away.

Also, everybody nit picks Dusty to death. I have not seen very many, if any, posts crediting him with switching the line-up that sparked this current resurgence.

There are complaints about Baker keeping the starters in too long and then they complain when he goes to the bullpen because he's going to blow them out. He only has 25 players and 12-13 pitchers to work with. If they do not have the talent - that is Jocketty's fault.

One more, many want Dusty fired, but nobody ever offers any replacements or realizes that Rick Sweet or David Bell or Chris Speier, etc. will likely be the next manager if Dusty goes. I guarentee it wouldn't take long to get complaints about those guys, I would probably jump in on that myself.

Let's just enjoy the ride, gang. Go Reds!!!!!

markymark69
06-10-2010, 09:42 PM
I wonder if a word from Heaven - "This is my team in whom I am well pleased" - during the seventh inning stretch with a flock of doves descending from the sky would make the majority of people on this board more relaxed and positive.

Uh, that would be a no.

roby
06-11-2010, 12:09 AM
You may not realize this, but I have never seen a manager be given an easy time on this board. I truly believe that Jesus would have a hard time managing the Reds according to this site.

I was reading recently that there are Rays fans who are seething that Maddox, I think that's his name, is a horrible manager. He is the guy who took a team that has never won or found respect to being one of the majors top teams.

Jerry Narron was a moron - according to most here. Bob Boone had never watched a game of baseball in his life - according to some on this site. So, stop stabbing Dusty and enjoy a successful first 1/3 of he season.

Honestly, what did you think of Bob Boone as the Reds manager?

Vottomatic
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
YouTube - I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take this anymore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM)

Redlegs_87
06-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I follow what Baker said in a post game interview recently. When you get everyone from the Reds top office to the grounds crew and fan base believing good things will happen.

Anyways don't think of the past look forward to a bright future.

SanDiegoRed
06-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Need to bump this....A little glitch in the road and the board goes totally negative. Go Reds!

Kingspoint
06-20-2010, 06:48 PM
You can't swing aggressively and swing for the fences in Safeco or you won't score any runs whether you're facing Ryan Rowland-Smith or Cliff Lee.

TheBigLebowski
06-20-2010, 06:50 PM
If you can't see why things are negative in here right now, you never will. This is awful. Worst the Reds have looked in possibly a decade.

lidspinner
06-20-2010, 07:05 PM
If you can't see why things are negative in here right now, you never will. This is awful. Worst the Reds have looked in possibly a decade.

and yet here we sit 1.5 games out of 1st place....WOW, worst we looked in a decade and we are a game and a half from being the big dog of the central? Something must be going right, even if it is not with the Reds....Look peeps, in order to win this central we are going to need other teams to play bad also, I dont care what our record is or ho wbad we play, if we win the central, then we win the central.....making the playoffs should the 1st goal of this team...build off that.

may I suggest everyone take a stroll over to the golf thread for 2010. It really helps you relax and see the bigger pic.

If I am going to complain about anything, its not going to be the lack of offense as even the BEST teams get shutout from time to time....but my complaint is OCab? why in the hell is dusty sending him out there with a bum ankle and keeping Janish on the pine? I counted 4 balls this series that OC just allowed to go by him...with no effort to stop the ball. Noone will ever know if Janish would have gotten to them but I sure would like to find out. Maybe paul should date Dustys daughter!!!! :D I kid, I kid.

Maker_84
06-20-2010, 07:14 PM
The reds right now are playing like the worst team in baseball and that is no joke.

COM2010
06-20-2010, 08:33 PM
What I get tired of are the "million dollar arm, ten cent head" type comments. Come on, people, BE ORIGINAL! And, even if you have to resort to cliches at least use them in the right context!

Fon Duc Tow
06-21-2010, 12:55 PM
You can't swing aggressively and swing for the fences in Safeco or you won't score any runs whether you're facing Ryan Rowland-Smith or Cliff Lee.

This.

Smith walked 5 yesterday and it wasn't because the Reds were being patient. League came in and was missing left and right. Which would have been great except the Reds were swinging anyway.

After the first game in Seattle, Dusty/Jacoby should have ordered all players to shorten their swing and to not swing until 2 strikes.

Tough love for team-wide swinging at bad pitches.