PDA

View Full Version : Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Pages : [1] 2

fearofpopvol1
06-09-2010, 11:58 PM
It's never too early to start. Hopefully at least some of these guys will sign in the next couple of weeks.

Players who have signed are in bold.

1 12 Yasmani Grandal C Miami Fla.
2 62 Ryan LaMarre OF Michigan Mich.
3 94 Devin Lohman SS Long Beach State Calif.
4 127 Brodie Greene 2B Texas A&M Texas
5 157 Wes Mugarian RHP Pensacola (Fla.) Catholic HS Fla.
6 187 Drew Cisco RHP Wando HS, Mt. Pleasant, S.C. S.C.
7 217 Tony Amezcua RHP Bellflower (Calif.) HS Calif.
8 247 David Vidal 3B Miami Dade JC Fla.
9 277 Tanner Robles LHP Oregon State Ore.
10 307 Kevin Arico RHP Virginia Va.
11 337 Andrew Hayes RHP Vanderbilt Tenn.
12 367 Kyle Waldrop OF Riverdale HS, Fort Myers, Fla. Fla.
13 397 Lucas O'Rear RHP Northern Iowa Iowa
14 427 Daniel Wolford RHP California Calif.
15 457 Stephen Hunt LHP South Florida Fla.
16 487 Rob Kral C College of Charleston S.C.
17 517 Brent Peterson SS Liberty HS, Bakersfield, Calif. Calif.
18 547 Robert Maddox OF Ohio Ohio
19 577 Josh Alexander OF Mountain Pointe HS, Phoenix Ariz.
20 607 Chris Berset C Michigan Mich.
21 637 Josh Smith RHP Lipscomb Fla.
22 667 Kurtis Muller OF Iowa Iowa
23 697 Randy Fontanez RHP South Florida Fla.
24 727 Patrick Doyle RHP Missouri State Mo.
25 757 Dan Renken RHP Cal State Fullerton Calif.
26 787 Ty Stuckey LHP Houston Texas
27 817 Joel Bender LHP Oak Hills HS, Cincinnati Ohio
28 847 Chad Rogers RHP Galveston (Texas) CC Texas
29 877 Muenster Muenster 3B Kansas State Kan.
30 907 Brad Hendrix RHP Auburn Ala.
31 937 Dominic D'Anna 1B Cal State Northridge Calif.
32 967 Jaren Matthews 1B Rutgers N.J.
33 997 David Garner RHP Niles (Mich.) HS Mich.
34 1027 Brandon Dailey SS Johnson SS, Brantford, Ont.
35 1057 Tyler Wilson RHP Virginia Va.
36 1087 Chuck Ghysets RHP Lincoln Trail (Ill.) JC Ill.
37 1117 Nick Sawyer RHP Hebron HS, Carrollton, Texas Texas
38 1147 Matt Leonard LHP Cal Poly Calif.
39 1177 Jacob May SS Lakota West HS, West Chester, Ohio Ohio
40 1207 Lee Orr OF McNeese State La.
41 1237 Jonathan Kaskow 1B Stanford Calif.
42 1267 Mitchell Hopkins LHP Louisiana State-Eunice JC La.
43 1297 Matt Campbell RHP Florida Fla.
44 1327 Eddie Campbell LHP Bridgewater Raynham HS, Bridgewater, Mass. Mass.
45 1357 William Harford C Notre Dame Ind.
46 1387 Patrick Quinn RHP St. Petersburg (Fla.) JC Fla.
47 1417 William Shepherd 1B Texas Texas
48 1447 David Eldredge C Punahou HS, Honolulu Hawaii
49 1477 El'Hajj Muhammad RHP CC of Morris (N.J.) N.J.
50 1507 Dexter Kjerstad OF Randall HS, Amarillo, Texas Texas

---------------

Moderators, can we get a sticky? Also, please feel free to edit once new players are signed.

nemesis
06-10-2010, 02:47 AM
I would imagine they sign 13 or 14 of the first 15 picks. The High School arms being the questions and 32 to 38 total signers overall. Definite HS must signs are Waldrop and Cisco...

JaxRed
06-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Waldrop looks like he'll be signing. http://www.news-press.com/article/20100609/HSS28/6090386/1010/SPORTS/Reds-select-Riverdale-outfielder

lollipopcurve
06-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Nice find, Jax. Waldrop would be a very nice 12th round sign.

OesterPoster
06-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Pensacola article about 5th rounder, Wes Mugarian:

Mugarian also said that they didn't come to any agreement on a cash bonus — the biggest point of contention for drafted players — but told the Reds "to draft me where they see fit and we can talk about money and stuff after the draft."

http://www.pnj.com/article/20100609/SPORTS/6090340/Catholic-s-Mugarian-grabbed-by-Reds

redsmetz
06-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Pensacola article about 5th rounder, Wes Mugarian:

...told the Reds "to draft me where they see fit and we can talk about money and stuff after the draft."

http://www.pnj.com/article/20100609/SPORTS/6090340/Catholic-s-Mugarian-grabbed-by-Reds

Sounds like he and his reps are familiar with what we've done the last couple of years, grabbing guys who have fallen because of signability issues who we've bumped up the slot money and gotten the deal done.

Benihana
06-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Although I didn't think Mugarian was considered a Top 200 talent?

RedsFanInBama
06-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Mugarian is supposed to be one of the aces for my Crimson Tide next season. Lowball him. ;)

edabbs44
06-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Looks like LaMarre is done.

Ryan LaMarre is expected to sign his first professional baseball contract as early as Friday and he could be in a minor-league uniform by the weekend.

LaMarre, a Lumen Christi High School graduate and a second-round pick of the Cincinnati Reds in the baseball draft Tuesday, said Thursday he has agreed to a contract and will begin his pro career with Cincinnati’s Class-A team in Dayton, Ohio.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/jackson/index.ssf/2010/06/jackson_native_ryan_lamarre_ex.html

lollipopcurve
06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Excellent -- getting an early start in Dayton is going to help LaMarre.

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Anyone know what LaMarre signed for? Any guesses?

dougdirt
06-10-2010, 09:38 PM

My guess is $550-600,000. Slot is somewhere in that range I believe

LoganBuck
06-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Finally a reason to go to a Dragons game this year.

edabbs44
06-10-2010, 10:04 PM

Last year's 12th pick in the 2nd round got $625k.

corkedbat
06-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Excellent -- getting an early start in Dayton is going to help LaMarre.

When the other signngs are done and the Billings and Goodyear rosters take shape, I wonder if Yorman will join him?

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Nice to see LaMarre signed so quickly. Hopefully Grandal signs by July 1st and gets some playing time this season.

Az. Reds Fan
06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Nice article on Devin Lohman...hopefully he signs quickly

http://santamariatimes.com/sports/baseball/article_efa72978-7390-11df-b27a-001cc4c03286.html

Benihana
06-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Nice article on Devin Lohman...hopefully he signs quickly

http://santamariatimes.com/sports/baseball/article_efa72978-7390-11df-b27a-001cc4c03286.html

With Hamilton in Billings, Rojas in Dayton, and Gregorious in Lynchburg, I wonder where he'll play if/once he signs.

HilliardRed
06-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Its great to have Lamarre in the fold already now lets hope Grandal signs as soon as his college season is over. We need to get him accustomed to using a wooden bat!!

Az. Reds Fan
06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
With Hamilton in Billings, Rojas in Dayton, and Gregorious in Lynchburg, I wonder where he'll play if/once he signs.

Hard to say where he'll play, I'm sure there will be a lot of roster shuffling before the short season teams begin...with that being said, according to his bio, he also played some second base earlier in his college career.

RedLegsToday
06-11-2010, 03:11 PM
With Hamilton in Billings

Are the Reds really going to start him in Billings?

He only "hit" .205/.253/.277 in the GCL last year. Is he really ready to play against 20-22 year olds in the Pioneer League?

RED VAN HOT
06-11-2010, 03:59 PM

My guess: Hamilton stays at AZL; Lohman to Billings; Gregorius stays at Dayton; Rojas stays at Lynchburg.

RED VAN HOT
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Despite his low draft position, I wouldn't be surprised if Renken started in Dayton. He has three years as a starter in a good college program.

lollipopcurve
06-11-2010, 04:16 PM
My guess: Hamilton stays at AZL; Lohman to Billings; Gregorius stays at Dayton; Rojas stays at Lynchburg.

Gotta be.

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Despite his low draft position, I wouldn't be surprised if Renken started in Dayton. He has three years as a starter in a good college program.

Ala Serrano.

New Fever
06-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Baseball America's take on the Reds draft.

This could be the Reds' best draft in years. Yasmani Grandal (1) may not be Matt Weiters or Buster Posey, but he's an offensive catcher with solid receiving skills. Grandal is Miami's best catching prospect since Charles Johnson and is a value at No. 12 overall. Cincinnati got another first-round talent in speedy Michigan OF Ryan LaMarre (2), and a trio of prep pitchers with upside in RHPs Wes Mugarian (5), Drew Cisco (6) and Tony Amezcua (7). The grandson of a big league pitcher and coach, Cisco has the least fastball velocity but the most upside thanks to his moxie, command and bloodlines. OF Kyle Waldrop (12), a prep football player with good bat speed, and RHP Lucas O'Rear (13), a former Northern Iowa basketball player, are standout athletes who could be intriguing prospects if they sign.

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2010, 05:32 PM

This could be the Reds' best draft in years. Yasmani Grandal (1) may not be Matt Weiters or Buster Posey, but he's an offensive catcher with solid receiving skills. Grandal is Miami's best catching prospect since Charles Johnson and is a value at No. 12 overall. Cincinnati got another first-round talent in speedy Michigan OF Ryan LaMarre (2), and a trio of prep pitchers with upside in RHPs Wes Mugarian (5), Drew Cisco (6) and Tony Amezcua (7). The grandson of a big league pitcher and coach, Cisco has the least fastball velocity but the most upside thanks to his moxie, command and bloodlines. OF Kyle Waldrop (12), a prep football player with good bat speed, and RHP Lucas O'Rear (13), a former Northern Iowa basketball player, are standout athletes who could be intriguing prospects if they sign.

Thanks for that New Fever.

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2010, 06:17 PM

That's good to hear. Unfortunately, it just makes the Lohman pick even more of a head scratcher.

On another note, even though we already knew this, C. Trent confirmed the signing of LaMarre via Twitter.

ctrent #Reds officially sign No. 2 draft pick, U of Michigan OF Ryan LaMarre

OesterPoster
06-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Sure sounds like Muller from Iowa is ready to sign any day. Anyone see him play this year? Stats look impressive.

"We'll see what happens," he said. "But I think I'm ready to start my professional career."

Muller led the Hawkeyes in hitting (.381), runs (57), stolen bases (30), hits (83), total bases (119), slugging percentage (.546), on-base percentage (.460) and played errorless defense.

http://hawkcentral.press-citizen.com/article/20100609/HAWKS0101/6090328/1053

Betterread
06-12-2010, 04:22 PM
John Sickels' take on the top 10:
Cincinnati Reds Draft Analysis
1) Yasmani Grandal, C, University of Miami-Florida: A very strong defender who took a big step forward with the bat this year, showing power and plate discipline. He probably won't need much time in the minors, and I think he was a terrific pick, though his price tag won't be cheap.

2) Ryan LaMarre, OF, University of Michigan: A fine athlete with excellent makeup, LaMarre can be inconsistent with the bat and struggled with a thumb/wrist injury this spring. He's a good pick in the second round, with loads of upside but some risk as well.

3) Devin Lohman, SS, Long Beach State University: Another in a long line of LBSU shortstops, Lohman has a decent glove at short but may end up at second base ultimately. He can hit for average and show some pop to the gaps, but isn't a huge power guy. In the end he might fit best as a strong utility infielder, but there is a non-zero chance he can hit enough to get beyond that.

4) Brodie Greene, 2B, Texas A&M: Another middle infielder from a strong college program, Greene is an easily-signable senior, runs well, has a strong throwing arm, showed some pop in college, and is very versatile with the glove. His work ethic is excellent and he has a good shot at being a solid utilityman.

5) Wes Mugarian, RHP, Florida HS: He'll need to be bought out of Alabama, but his 90-92 MPH fastball and good curve make it likely that the Reds will do so. I don't think they would have spent a fifth round pick otherwise.

6) Drew Cisco, RHP, South Carolina HS: Another signability question, Cisco is committed to Georgia. He is one of the most polished high school pitchers available and really knows how to pitch (his grandfather is longtime coach Galen Cisco), but average velocity kept him from truly elite status in the draft class.

7) Tony Amezcua, RHP, California HS: A projectability pick, Amezcua throws 90-92 and may pick up more zip as he matures. He will need to be bought out of Long Beach State.

8) David Vidal, 3B, Miami-Dade CC: Vidal is undersized at 5-10, but has a very powerful bat. Scouts aren't sure where he will fit defensively, as he doesn't run well enough to play outfield. His arm is good enough for third, but his hands might not be, and he's too short for a classic first baseman. He can hit though. He will need to be bought out of Florida International.

9) Tanner Robles, LHP, Oregon State University: He has an 88-90 MPH heater, but his breaking ball and changeup are inconsistent, and scouts don't like him as much as they did when he was a Utah high school player.

10) Kevin Arico, RHP, University of Virginia: Arico picked up 16 saves this year, but his stuff is mediocre for a right-hander. He projects as a middle reliever if he makes it.

FOUR OTHERS OF NOTE: 12-Kyle Waldrop, OF, Florida HS; 13-Lucas O'Rear, RHP, University of Northern Iowa; 18-Robert Maddox, OF, University of Ohio; 19-Josh Alexander, OF, Arizona HS:

COMMENT: I like the Grandal selection, and a lot of scouts think LaMarre will blossom as he gets further past the injury. Neither Lohman nor Greene will be stars, but both have a good shot at being major league contributors. The three high school pitchers would be great to add to the system if they can sign them: Reds fans should be happy if two of them come to terms, though they will all need substantial bonuses. Vidal's bat is intriguing, but the ninth and tenth round picks look like stretches. Overall I think this is a good class, with a nice mixture of talents and backgrounds...if they can get some of that high school pitching inked.

corkedbat
06-12-2010, 04:49 PM
...and he has a good shot at being a solid utilityman.

Out side of the top 10, I don'tmind picks that profile as solid utility players, but I'd don't like it being termed as the ceiling for our thrd and fourth round picks.

Utility players we can find every year in free agancy for close to the minimum. I'd rather use the third and fourth round picks on guys that have pop and projectability, but may have more risk or are signability questions than use them on utility IFs.

Benihana
06-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Out side of the top 10, I don'tmind picks that profile as solid utility players, but I'd don't like it being termed as the ceiling for our thrd and fourth round picks.

Utility players we can find every year in free agancy for close to the minimum. I'd rather use the third and fourth round picks on guys that have pop and projectability, but may have more risk or are signability questions than use them on utility IFs.

Agreed.

I'm not thrilled about either of those two picks, but that seems to be Buckley's MO. Not quite sure why they'd take guys like that over a pitcher with huge upside like James Paxton, but can't micro-analyze every pick in the draft. Of course you never know who will emerge, but I believe the success of this class will rest heavily with Grandal, LaMarre, Cisco, and Waldrop. Anyone else will be gravy IMO.

Interesting to note that Sickels said Grandal plays "very strong defense."

JaxRed
06-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Kurtis Muller officially done #22

http://host.madison.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_3db9a55c-767d-11df-9fec-001cc4c002e0.html

corkedbat
06-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Kurtis Muller officially done #22

http://host.madison.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_3db9a55c-767d-11df-9fec-001cc4c002e0.html

Nice signing. Thi kid could develop and get stronger, but you can't teach speed. Could be the CF/leadoff guy for Billings. This is the start of a real flurry of guys not in the Super Regionals. I'd like to see those HS arms and Waldrop sign.

tripleaaaron
06-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Agreed.

I'm not thrilled about either of those two picks, but that seems to be Buckley's MO. Not quite sure why they'd take guys like that over a pitcher with huge upside like James Paxton, but can't micro-analyze every pick in the draft. Of course you never know who will emerge, but I believe the success of this class will rest heavily with Grandal, LaMarre, Cisco, and Waldrop. Anyone else will be gravy IMO.

Interesting to note that Sickels said Grandal plays "very strong defense."

Money. Perhaps the Reds didn't like Paxton at the rate he is expected to demand, I don't agree but maybe the scouts didn't like him that much. The farm is operating on a budget and seems to like taking most of their risks in the international market. This is not a bad idea as you can often find high upside talent at a lower cost than in the draft. After taking Grandal (who is expected to have a pretty high asking price) they decided to draft a few signable guys rather than throw away picks on guys that they had no intention of signing.
Overall though, a very solid draft and another step in the right direction for our farm system. We continue to build the upper levels of our system through drafting low risk players while building our high upside talent through the international market. It will only be a few years from now that the two will begin merging together to create a farm system that is both very deep and also having several high upside players at the higher levels. This method should begin to start producing a very solid stream of players to the big league team as well as a few "studs" every now and again. I really like where the organization as a whole is heading.

TheNext44
06-13-2010, 03:57 AM

That is true, I think you are undervaluing what a utility player brings to a club. Good utility players are harder to find and cost more than the minimum. A team can find Cairo's and J. Cabrera's and Andy Phillips' and Mark Belhorn's for the minimum all day, every day. But a winning team needs to be able to have a real backup for every position, so they don't lose ground when they have injuries.

Last year, one of the biggest problems was the number of AB's that Rosales got at 3B and Hernandez got at 1B. A good utility guy can be almost as valuable to a team as starter, if he is pressed into duty and holds his own. I would say that Dickerson and Janish have been very valuable as utility players and that it definitely would cost more than the minimum to replace their production since they've joined the Reds.

I think one key element of a winning organization is that they fill out their roster with homegrown talent. They don't have to spend money or talent to get solid middle relievers and bench players who can fill in for starters, they can just call up guys from the minors.

If Lohman and Greene become as valuable as Hairston was for the team, I think the Reds made good use of their 3rd and 4th round picks this season.

Benihana
06-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Nice signing. Thi kid could develop and get stronger, but you can't teach speed. Could be the CF/leadoff guy for Billings. This is the start of a real flurry of guys not in the Super Regionals. I'd like to see those HS arms and Waldrop sign.

Yorman will be playing CF in Billings, LaMarre in Dayton, Perez/Fellhauer in Lynchburg, and Sappelt in Carolina.

Looks like Muller will have to learn a corner spot unless he is going to start in the AZL.

Kc61
06-13-2010, 11:23 AM
That is true, I think you are undervaluing what a utility player brings to a club. Good utility players are harder to find and cost more than the minimum. A team can find Cairo's and J. Cabrera's and Andy Phillips' and Mark Belhorn's for the minimum all day, every day. But a winning team needs to be able to have a real backup for every position, so they don't lose ground when they have injuries.

I think one key element of a winning organization is that they fill out their roster with homegrown talent. They don't have to spend money or talent to get solid middle relievers and bench players who can fill in for starters, they can just call up guys from the minors.

If Lohman and Greene become as valuable as Hairston was for the team, I think the Reds made good use of their 3rd and 4th round picks this season.

Agree. If a third or fourth draft choice projects to be a solid major leaguer -- even in a utility role -- he is worth it. Although I wouldn't be too rough on Cairo, he's been excellent.

The key is getting major leaguers out of the draft. Starting players, bench players, starting pitchers, relievers.

And people are being too rough on the Lohman selection. From what I read, he has a shot to be a good shortstop, although without much power.

lollipopcurve
06-13-2010, 03:49 PM
If a third or fourth draft choice projects to be a solid major leaguer -- even in a utility role -- he is worth it. Although I wouldn't be too rough on Cairo, he's been excellent.

The key is getting major leaguers out of the draft. Starting players, bench players, starting pitchers, relievers.

And people are being too rough on the Lohman selection. From what I read, he has a shot to be a good shortstop, although without much power.

Agree 100%.

corkedbat
06-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Agree. If a third or fourth draft choice projects to be a solid major leaguer -- even in a utility role -- he is worth it. Although I wouldn't be too rough on Cairo, he's been excellent.

I realize that the odds are stacked against most draft choices and even a utility guy or journeyman reliever is a success. I just think that you should aim higher in the 3rd and 4th rounds - even if you miss.

Mario-Rijo
06-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I realize that the odds are stacked against most draft choices and even a utility guy or journeyman reliever is a success. I just think that you should aim higher in the 3rd and 4th rounds - even if you miss.

Absolutely, of course I think Buckley thinks more of these guys than that but he hasn't really done a great job of proving this theory. Valaika is turning out to be that UT guy that he was predicted to be and between Watson, Stewart and Boxberger nothing has really worked out the way we'd hoped for. Sure we used Stewart and his value to pick up a major league player but still none of the guys have quite panned out developmentally yet. We could find more examples of this in the 1st 5 rounds or so I'm sure but these guys are a picture of the mediocrity we can expect with high value selections. I suppose you could look at it like they prefer to play it safe and get some value early while taking more risky higher ceiling types later, which is fine as long as you are not then drafting "safe, low ceiling" types later as well. Also when you get those guys (Perez and Merrero from last year come to mind) you have to sign them because you are likely not going over slot with the Valaika's, Watsons and Boxbergers.

Benihana
06-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Absolutely, of course I think Buckley thinks more of these guys than that but he hasn't really done a great job of proving this theory. Valaika is turning out to be that UT guy that he was predicted to be and between Watson, Stewart and Boxberger nothing has really worked out the way we'd hoped for. Sure we used Stewart and his value to pick up a major league player but still none of the guys have quite panned out developmentally yet. We could find more examples of this in the 1st 5 rounds or so I'm sure but these guys are a picture of the mediocrity we can expect with high value selections. I suppose you could look at it like they prefer to play it safe and get some value early while taking more risky higher ceiling types later, which is fine as long as you are not then drafting "safe, low ceiling" types later as well. Also when you get those guys (Perez and Merrero from last year come to mind) you have to sign them because you are likely not going over slot with the Valaika's, Watsons and Boxbergers.

I think that Cisco and Waldrop are this year's examples of this. Hopefully they can sign them unlike Perez and Marrero from last year.

But I agree with both you and corkedbat on this. You have to aim high.

OesterPoster
06-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Sounds like just a matter of time on the senior catcher from Meechigan.

Berset followed LaMarre in the lineup and coincidentally may also follow him to Cincinnati. The Reds drafted him as well and have offered Berset a contract, which he had not yet signed as of Saturday. The co-captain enjoyed a breakout senior season and was a semifinalist for the Johnny Bench Award, named for the former Red and given to the best collegiate catcher in the nation.

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/five-wolverines-selected-mlb-draft

lollipopcurve
06-14-2010, 08:55 AM
You have to aim high.

I understand the sentiment, but this kind of critique really has to begin and end with the draft budget. Cherrypicking individual selections without knowing how much the team plans to spend, or where in the draft it will spend, is jumping the gun, IMO.

Kc61
06-14-2010, 10:31 AM
I understand the sentiment, but this kind of critique really has to begin and end with the draft budget. Cherrypicking individual selections without knowing how much the team plans to spend, or where in the draft it will spend, is jumping the gun, IMO.

Also, it may be that the team didn't see guys available in the third and fourth round with high upsides, who the scouts liked, and were signable for reasonable amounts.

So rather than waste the third/fourth picks they go with (possibly) lower ceiling guys but potential major leaguers who were signable.

Judgment call.

lollipopcurve
06-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Also, it may be that the team didn't see guys available in the third and fourth round with high upsides, who the scouts liked, and were signable for reasonable amounts.

So rather than waste the third/fourth picks they go with (possibly) lower ceiling guys but potential major leaguers who were signable.

Judgment call.

Again, agree 100%.

Just very hesitant to pan a pick until the player plays a while.

Benihana
06-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Again, agree 100%.

Just very hesitant to pan a pick until the player plays a while.

That is fair. All I'm saying is Buckley's history with these types of players suggests otherwise (Valaika, Cozart, Turner, etc.)

lollipopcurve
06-14-2010, 11:18 AM
All I'm saying is Buckley's history with these types of players suggests otherwise (Valaika, Cozart, Turner, Frazier, etc.)

Turner had value (used in the Hernandez trade), and it remains to be seen what the org gets out of the other 3. But each one does carry value as a guy who has played well through AA and in spurts at AAA.

Billy Hamilton is probably more to your liking, but he's got a long way to go before anyone can visualize him in a big league uniform.

Benihana
06-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Turner had value (used in the Hernandez trade), and it remains to be seen what the org gets out of the other 3. But each one does carry value as a guy who has played well through AA and in spurts at AAA.

Billy Hamilton is probably more to your liking, but he's got a long way to go before anyone can visualize him in a big league uniform.

I would argue that Turner was more of a throw-in with Freel, Waring and salary relief being the centerpieces of that trade. The fact that Turner was recently released by the O's seems to corroborate that.

Have they provided more value than third round picks of the past like Alan Moye and Jose Rondo? Sure. But early in the draft, I'd like to see more picks like Billy Hamilton- guys who may miss, but could have huge impacts if they hit. To be fair, the Reds philosophy appears to be going after these types of guys on the international market.

To me, guys like Drew Sutton, Chris Valaika, Justin Turner, etc. are a commodity. No need to pay someone close to a league minimum salary to sign and maybe turn out to be one of those guys one day, when you can acquire one at the big league level for the same cost.

lollipopcurve
06-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I would argue that Turner was more of a throw-in with Freel, Waring and salary relief being the centerpieces of that trade. The fact that Turner was recently released by the O's seems to corroborate that.

You can't strip him of value entirely. That's just willful refusal to accept the reality that on some level the Orioles wanted him.

Have they provided more value than third round picks of the past like Alan Moye and Jose Rondo? Sure. But early in the draft, I'd like to see more picks like Billy Hamilton- guys who may miss, but could have huge impacts if they hit. To be fair, the Reds philosophy appears to be going after these types of guys on the international market.

They've provided much more value than the insta-washouts you mention. And they haven't peaked yet. Agreed on the main point, which cannot be overemphasized -- the team is hunting and paying for high ceiling in Latin America, and this eases the need to dicker with toolsy high schoolers who have negotiating leverage.

To me, guys like Drew Sutton, Chris Valaika, Justin Turner, etc. are a commodity. No need to pay someone close to a league minimum salary to sign and maybe turn out to be one of those guys one day, when you can acquire one at the big league level for the same cost.

The reality is that teams need to run a minor league system that will produce the kind of players you want, and you want the players in that system to do well so that when they get to the big leagues, they're ready to contribute to a winning team. Under your approach, the organization would be drafting a bunch kids who would flame out in lower levels -- those high-ceiling low-floor types fail more quickly -- leaving your AA and AAA teams with a bunch of castoffs and mercenaries in their starting lineups. I can see this being especially true in the middle infield. Not a good recipe for building a variety of things within your system -- cohesion/energy, winning, execution. When you're constituting a good portion of your upper-level rosters every year, you're not building anything unified. You've got a bunch of guys playing for themselves, just fill-ins around a select few the organization values. And that can have a negative effect on how those "potential stars" see themselves, too. I don't think that's the way to go.

Benihana
06-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Is it just me or shouldn't a good number of these guys be signing by now? Other than 1st round picks, I remember in years past 10-15 selections signing within the first week. It seems a lot of other teams have already done this. What seems to be the holdup?

Does anyone know when the Rookie Leagues start?

LoganBuck
06-14-2010, 02:22 PM
The calender is goofy this year, and the College World Series didn't really get going until last week. The signings will be coming soon.

JaxRed
06-14-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm sure the holdup is just in making the annnouncements.

JaxRed
06-14-2010, 03:31 PM
15th Round Stephen Hunt signed.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

2nd item in story

Hunt drafted as pitcher will be hitter

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2010, 03:31 PM
From John Fay - Reds announce 14 signings

2. Ryan LaMarre, CF, Michigan
3. Devin Lohman, SS, Long Beach State
4. Brodie Greene, SS, Texas A&M
7. Jose Amezcua, RHP, Bellflower (Calif.) High
8. David Vidal, 2B, Miami-Dade Community College
9. Tanner Robles, LHP, Oregon State
15. Steven Hunt, RF, U. of South Floirda
18. Robert Maddox, LF, Ohio U.
22. Kurtis Muller, CF, U. of Iowa
24. Patrick Doyle, RHP, Missouri State
29. Adam Muenster, 3B, Kansas State
31. Dominic D’Anna, 1B, Cal State Northridge
38. Matthew Leonard, LHP, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo
49. El’Hajj Muhammad, RHP, Community College of Morris County

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/14/reds-sign-14-draftees/

JaxRed
06-14-2010, 03:33 PM
6 out of first 10

lollipopcurve
06-14-2010, 03:40 PM
6 out of first 10

Solid start.

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Mugarian, Cisco and Waldrop are the big question marks. I hope they can sign Arico too.

Amezcua is a good sign. I've heard he is a good sleeper pick. I'm glad they inked Robles too.

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Sign Grandal, Mugarian, Cisco, Arico, and Waldrop and I'll be happy. Anyone else that signs after that will be a bonus.

lollipopcurve
06-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Sign Grandal, Mugarian, Cisco, Arico, and Waldrop and I'll be happy. Anyone else that signs after that will be a bonus.

You gotta hope they bring in big Lucas O'Rear, too.

Chip R
06-14-2010, 04:50 PM
You gotta hope they bring in big Lucas O'Rear, too.

From what I've read on the UNI message board from the play by play guy is that he'll sign and the Reds will let him play his senior year in basketball and graduate.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/145978227 (http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/145978227)

O'Rear, 21, informed the Reds that he wanted to return to Northern Iowa for his senior basketball season.

"I asked them if it was all right if I come back and play college basketball and they said it was totally fine," he said.

O'Rear also got permission from UNI basketball coach Ben Jacobson to begin his pro baseball career this summer with the Reds.
"He supports me 100 percent and that's how Coach Jake is," O'Rear said. "He looks after his players like we were his kids."

lollipopcurve
06-14-2010, 04:53 PM
O'Rear, 21, informed the Reds that he wanted to return to Northern Iowa for his senior basketball season.

"I asked them if it was all right if I come back and play college basketball and they said it was totally fine," he said.

O'Rear also got permission from UNI basketball coach Ben Jacobson to begin his pro baseball career this summer with the Reds.
"He supports me 100 percent and that's how Coach Jake is," O'Rear said. "He looks after his players like we were his kids."

Nice. Thanks Chip.

I want O'Rear closing in the GCL, a man among boys.

Gallen5862
06-14-2010, 05:00 PM
#18 Robert Maddox needs to be bolded.

BigRed75
06-14-2010, 05:04 PM
#18 Robert Maddox needs to be bolded.

Great to see a Bobcat in the Reds system!

RED VAN HOT
06-14-2010, 05:07 PM
In particular I would like to see the college draftees signed early enough to get at least 6 weeks of playing. Those guys will be able to get more out of the off season and be more likely to start at the correct level next year. I think the protracted Alonso negotiation hurt his progression through the system.

On the other hand, the HS players will most likely start in AZL next year anyway. Taking time with them, especially the pitchers, may actually be a plus.

jmcclain19
06-14-2010, 07:50 PM
There are like 12 other threads in which you can debate the merits of drafting strategies guys. Can we keep the discussion in this one to who the Reds actually got to sign on the dotted line?

texasdave
06-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Undrafted free agent signing. I guess it goes here.
The Cincinnati Reds signed former Lynchburg College Outfielder Jeff Taylor, Jr. to a Free Agent contract Monday. Taylor was undrafted in the 2010 MLB First-Year Player Draft in early June.

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0610/745847.html

His profile: http://www.lynchburg.edu/x16429.xml

redsmetz
06-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Undrafted free agent signing. I guess it goes here.

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0610/745847.html

His profile: http://www.lynchburg.edu/x16429.xml

Here's a blurb from Lynchburg's press release:

Taylor, Jr. finished his career at Lynchburg as the all-time stolen base leader, holding the ODAC record as well. He ended his illustrious tenure at Lynchburg as the all-time games played and started leader, and was also a two-time All-ODAC first-teamer. He posted a .356 career batting average (218-613), scoring 133 runs and driving in 121 over his four years at LC.

Such signings are always long shots, but every now and then, one will pan out (ala Ryan Hanigan).

New Fever
06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
From BA:

Ryan LaMarre signed for $587,500.
Devin Lohman signed for $363,000.
Brodie Green signed for $112,500.
Tony Amezcua signed for $120,000.
David Vidal signed for $100,000.
Tanner Robles signed for $90,000.

OnBaseMachine
06-16-2010, 02:42 PM
The following players have also signed according to Jamie Ramsey:

RHP Daniel Wolford (14th round)
C Christopher Berset (20th round)
RHP Joshua Smith (21st round)
1b Jonathan Kaskow (41st round)
C William Harford (45th round)

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/06/todays-reds-farm-report-2.html

NorrisHopper30
06-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Any word on Cisco?

HeatherC1212
06-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Here's another story about the undrafted guy, Jeff Taylor. I'll definitely be watching and rooting for this kid. Good for him!

http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/sports/minors/article/taylor_signs_minor_league_contract_with_reds/27886/

11larkin11
06-16-2010, 05:35 PM
From BA:

Ryan LaMarre signed for $587,500.
Devin Lohman signed for $363,000.
Brodie Green signed for $112,500.
Tony Amezcua signed for $120,000.
David Vidal signed for $100,000.
Tanner Robles signed for $90,000.

How are those compared to slot?

GIDP
06-16-2010, 05:36 PM
How are those compared to slot?

They all look in line to me.

dougdirt
06-16-2010, 05:46 PM
The following players have also signed according to Jamie Ramsey:
C William Harford (45th round)

Of course Harford signed.... he had 18 career college at bats despite being 23 years old. If they offered him more than 3 figures, he should consider himself eternally thankful.

LoganBuck
06-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Of course Harford signed.... he had 18 career college at bats despite being 23 years old. If they offered him more than 3 figures, he should consider himself eternally thankful.

$100 and a shirt that says Potential player to be named?

GIDP
06-16-2010, 10:01 PM
$100 and a shirt that says Potential player to be named?

He might make a minor league roster.

RedsFanInBama
06-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Looks like we won't know anything on Mugarian for another couple of weeks at the earliest

Link (http://www.pnj.com/article/20100617/SPORTS/6170313/Catholic-High-s-Mugarian-Reds-talk-money-July-1)

nemesis
06-18-2010, 10:02 AM

This pick really has you up in arms doesn't it? I remember reading the draft day thread and you seemed besides yourself. Why would they take him with a pick earlier than the 50th if it was a favor? Seems really odd to me as well.

dougdirt
06-18-2010, 10:19 AM
This pick really has you up in arms doesn't it? I remember reading the draft day thread and you seemed besides yourself. Why would they take him with a pick earlier than the 50th if it was a favor? Seems really odd to me as well.

It does because it simply doesn't make sense. He wasn't good enough to even make the team at Notre Dame aas a 22 year old. He wasn't good enough to start there as a 23 year old. It isn't like he is a pitcher who can throw 90+ and just has no control. He is a catcher who got 18 at bats in college through the age of 23. There was no chance someone else drafts him. Why waste a pick? I know there were guys out there with talent available who would have signed. It simply doesn't make sense.

Benihana
06-18-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't think it is ever worth getting upset about a pick after the 30th round. JMO.

It's like getting really angry about an NFL pick in the 7th round.

dougdirt
06-18-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't think it is ever worth getting upset about a pick after the 30th round. JMO.

It's like getting really angry about an NFL pick in the 7th round.
So you wouldn't be upset by a 7th round NFL pick who wasn't good enough to make his college team and had say, 3 downs played in his college career?

edabbs44
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
So you wouldn't be upset by a 7th round NFL pick who wasn't good enough to make his college team and had say, 3 downs played in his college career?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=101042

But I don't disagree with you. Curious, to say the least.

Benihana
06-18-2010, 11:29 AM

Exactly what I was thinking.

lollipopcurve
06-18-2010, 11:38 AM
It does because it simply doesn't make sense.

If you follow the draft closely, you know that "nepotism" picks happen. Last year, Jocketty's kid got taken by the Cubs somewhere in the 40s. It just so happens that Harford's dad is a scout for the Cubs.

bubbachunk
06-18-2010, 01:15 PM

But I don't disagree with you. Curious, to say the least.

There is a huge huge difference between being beat out by two guys that were Heisman winners and both, what top 5 picks? vs not playing over some nobody. Cassels talent was never denied but he just had better players ahead of him.

RedsFanInBama
06-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Hell the Braves drafted Schuerholz's kid in like the 7th round out of Auburn and that kid, while a starter in college, had ZERO potential as a professional player.

fearofpopvol1
06-18-2010, 03:57 PM
There are like 12 other threads in which you can debate the merits of drafting strategies guys. Can we keep the discussion in this one to who the Reds actually got to sign on the dotted line?

I agree with this.

It's a bit of bummer to see this thread with new posts so regularly when in fact, there isn't any news.

I've been guilty of it too (especially as I am posting this!) but it would be nice to limit the discussion unless someone has actually been signed.

Boss-Hog
06-18-2010, 07:09 PM
I agree with this.

It's a bit of bummer to see this thread with new posts so regularly when in fact, there isn't any news.

I've been guilty of it too (especially as I am posting this!) but it would be nice to limit the discussion unless someone has actually been signed.
Agreed - please use the many other threads for draft discussion.

Benihana
06-19-2010, 11:52 PM
From Fay:

The Reds have made initial contact with the agents representing top pick Yasmani Grandal.

“We’ve exchanged some emails,” Walt Jocketty said. “We’ll probably talk next week. We wanted to give him some time.”

Grandal’s University of Miami team was eliminated from NCAA Tournament. The deadline for draftees to sign is Aug. 16. Yonder Alonso went up to minutes of the deadline in 2008. Mike Leake signed on the deadline day last year as well.

Maybe they want to get him signed before they can make a decision on whether to include Mesoraco in a trade for pitching?

OesterPoster
06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Drew Hayes officially signed now.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20100622/SPORTS/6220314/Hayes+finalizes+deal+with+Cincinnati+Reds

Hayes took an important step Monday when he finalized his signing bonus with the Cincinnati Reds, who drafted the right-hander in the 11th round of Major League Baseball Draft two weeks ago.

"It (his contract) is something that I can't spend too much time on, and now I am ready to go to (Billings, Mont.) and prove myself," Hayes said. "I want to move as quickly through the organization as I can."

Hayes will join the Billings Mustangs, an advanced rookie squad, later this month.

nemesis
06-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Based on the Various reports they are down to Grandal, Mugarian, Cisco and Waldrop out of the top 15. The most talented 3 (personal opinion) in the draft less Mungarian. Hopefully they get something done soon.

mac624
06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
They will sign Arico (he's a senior) and O'Rear (he's gonna play college bball though), so that's two more at least, other than the 4 you mentioned. I also suspect we'll see a mid 30's guys sign, maybe Renken or Hopkins for above slot money before it's all said and done.

mace
06-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Arico has signed, according to Fay.

RedEye
06-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Haven't read the whole thread, but is there seriously a draftee called "Muenster Muenster"? If so, is he good? And, of course, is he going to sign?

EDIT: The interwebs say this player's name is actually "Adam Muenster", so this looks like a typo. My other questions still stand though... =)

texasdave
06-23-2010, 07:44 AM
I have no idea as to why, but the Reds will begin negotiating the signing bonus with Mugarian on July 1st.

Taken by the Cincinnati Reds in the fifth round of the draft, Mugarian said that he and the team will begin to negotiate his signing bonus on July 1. Following the pick, Reds scout John Poloni — the man responsible for keeping tabs on Mugarian throughout his senior season — came to Pensacola to meet with the draft's No. 157 overall pick, and the team sent Mugarian general contract information late last week

Here is the link: http://www.pnj.com/article/20100617/SPORTS/6170313/Catholic-High-s-Mugarian-Reds-talk-money-July-1

texasdave
06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Good vibes on Waldrop signing.

With a baseball scholarship to South Florida in hand, he and his father Greg made it clear to interested teams that it would take a significant signing bonus for Waldrop to choose professional baseball over the Bulls.
Both seem confident the Reds will meet the undisclosed asking price.
"All I can say right now is we're really confident he'll be in a Reds uniform sometime soon," said Greg Waldrop, who is handling his son's contract negotiations. "There's some details and things that need to take place, but there's a ton of confidence on both sides."

Link: http://www.news-press.com/article/20100616/NEWS0103/6160306/Reds-draft-Riverdale-s-Waldrop

chicoruiz
06-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Haven't read the whole thread, but is there seriously a draftee called "Muenster Muenster"? If so, is he good? And, of course, is he going to sign?

EDIT: The interwebs say this player's name is actually "Adam Muenster", so this looks like a typo. My other questions still stand though... =)

I personally would have given him a much larger bonus if he'd agreed to be known as "Muenster Muenster". Kind of like how Charlie Finley used to bribe guys to change their names- remember when he wanted Vida Blue to become "True Blue"?

texasdave
06-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Show Cisco the money:

Now comes the tricky part: negotiating with the Reds, which could take a long time. Cisco says he's looking for a signing bonus in the neighborhood of $1 million. The two sides haven't discussed money, and Cisco knows the process could take all summer. If he doesn't sign with the Reds by mid-August, he will enroll at the University of Georgia. "I think we'll talk through the summer," said Cisco, who led Wando into the Class AAAA Lower State championship series last month. "Hopefully, we'll get a deal done and I will go off and play."

Doesn't sound like an early signing is in the offing and it will probably come down to money.

Link: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/jun/09/wandos-cisco-drafted-in-6th-round/

LoganBuck
06-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Show Cisco the money:

Doesn't sound like an early signing is in the offing and it will probably come down to money.

Link: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/jun/09/wandos-cisco-drafted-in-6th-round/

Sounds like if they do sign him they will go over slot, so the commissioner's office will have to ok it. Don't look for him to officially sign before August 14th.

nemesis
06-23-2010, 08:37 AM
As polished as Cisco is and being a relatively high pick 1 Million isn't breaking the bank. Could see it being a last minute deal in the $800,000 range.

Benihana
06-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I'd be pretty (pleasantly) surprised if they're able to sign Grandal, Cisco, and Waldrop. My prediction is they only get 2 of the 3.

I don't care nearly as much about Mugarian, although my guess is he'll sign as well.

Mario-Rijo
06-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I'd be pretty (pleasantly) surprised if they're able to sign Grandal, Cisco, and Waldrop. My prediction is they only get 2 of the 3.

I don't care nearly as much about Mugarian, although my guess is he'll sign as well.

Sounds like Cisco will be the one that will be the tough sign.

Degenerate39
06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Any word on Yas yet?

corkedbat
06-23-2010, 02:49 PM
I personally would have given him a much larger bonus if he'd agreed to be known as "Muenster Muenster". Kind of like how Charlie Finley used to bribe guys to change their names- remember when he wanted Vida Blue to become "True Blue"?

I kinda hope he's the lockerroom joker so they can call him Funster Muenster. :D

texasdave
06-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I kinda hope he's the lockerroom joker so they can call him Funster Muenster. :D

I was hoping he was a pitcher so he could bring the cheese. :)

OesterPoster
06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
IIRC, the Reds do have a minor leaguer from last year's draft named Mike Monster. It'd be cool if they ever end up on the same team, so they can then stand side-by-side for photo ops.

camisadelgolf
06-24-2010, 02:43 AM
IIRC, the Reds do have a minor leaguer from last year's draft named Mike Monster. It'd be cool if they ever end up on the same team, so they can then stand side-by-side for photo ops.
Mike Monster never signed.

Mario-Rijo
06-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Any word on Yas yet?

Here's the latest.....

YouTube - Yaz FDA required "clear up" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO-G8O0lHq0)

Mario-Rijo
06-24-2010, 08:38 AM
:evil: I had to it was just too compelling!

GIDP
06-24-2010, 12:16 PM
:laugh:

JaxRed
06-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Latest on Waldrop - as of 23 Jun - Fort Myers OF Kyle Waldrop, a USF signee drafted in the 12th round by the Reds, continues to negotiate with Cincinnati but the two sides remain apart from what Prado has heard.

Benihana
06-24-2010, 05:53 PM
19th rounder Josh Alexander was named to BA's second-team All America team for HS players along with Kyle Waldrop. Has anyone heard anything about his chances of signing?

redsmetz
06-25-2010, 05:47 AM
I've been looking at last year's signing thread and saw at this point, we'd signed just 21 of our picks, with nine of our top 15 still unsigned. Presently this year, we're at 21 with ten of our top 15 still unsigned.

I was think things seemed slower this year, but apparently not.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76434&highlight=2009+signed+picks

RED VAN HOT
06-25-2010, 04:57 PM
My impression is that the Reds drafted more college committed players. I suspect that these will get all of management's attention, Grandal excepted, for the next month. If they are successful in signing these more promising players, they may sign fewer of their low round draftees. It seems to me that the lower levels of the organization are pretty well stocked, especially when the Latin transfers are added.

redsmetz
06-26-2010, 04:25 PM
My impression is that the Reds drafted more college committed players. I suspect that these will get all of management's attention, Grandal excepted, for the next month. If they are successful in signing these more promising players, they may sign fewer of their low round draftees. It seems to me that the lower levels of the organization are pretty well stocked, especially when the Latin transfers are added.

This is where you end up going over slot to entice them to sign now. Some last year, I think, got college written in and began their careers. I'd very much like to get Cisco this way, for example.

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2010, 01:17 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

The Reds are not any closer, it appears, to signing their first round Draft pick -- catcher Yasmani Grandal. The deadline to sign all 2010 Draft picks is Aug. 16.

"We've talked to them but haven't gotten any progress," GM Walt Jocketty said.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/07/dustys_tv_where_baseball_is_al.html

Benihana
07-02-2010, 01:24 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/07/dustys_tv_where_baseball_is_al.html

IMO, here's the play: Sign Cisco and Waldrop now (although I still think the Reds won't end up signing both.) If Mesoraco goes in a trade for Lee or someone else, or he stops hitting, shell out for Grandal. Otherwise, hold firm on the offer and pick up an extra first rounder next year if he doesn't sign.

On a side note, I'm surprised Mugarian hasn't signed by now. Any word on that?

RedsFanInBama
07-02-2010, 01:40 PM
For some reason, money talks with Mugarian didn't begin until July 1. So we should know in the next few days if we are going to offer him enough to keep him from going to Alabama.

dougdirt
07-02-2010, 01:52 PM
For some reason, money talks with Mugarian didn't begin until July 1. So we should know in the next few days if we are going to offer him enough to keep him from going to Alabama.

Odds are we won't know for about 6 weeks. If talks began yesterday, then they won't actually get somewhere for a few weeks. There is no rush to sign him and its going to be over slot if it happens, which means it has to be approved by the commissioners office. That means even if they agree, the deal won't get approved until Mid August.

dougdirt
07-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Lucas O'Rear has signed.

Degenerate39
07-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Lucas O'Rear has signed.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JaxRed
07-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Kyle Waldrop closer?

http://www.marcoislandflorida.com/article/20100701/HSS28/7010381/Riverdale-grad-gets-honored-awaits-deal

The Riverdale graduate, selected in the 12th round of the Major League Baseball Draft by the Cincinnati Reds last month, is getting closer to signing a contract with the team.....

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Nice find Jax. I searched for some info on Waldrop earlier today and couldn't find anything. Waldrop would be a very nice addition to the system.

JaxRed
07-02-2010, 07:44 PM
For some reason I really want to see this kid signed

gedred69
07-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Nice find Jax. I searched for some info on Waldrop earlier today and couldn't find anything. Waldrop would be a very nice addition to the system.

I have deep emotional ties to Lee County (Ft. Myers), and would really like to see Waldrop signed. I was hoping they would have taken the pitcher from FGCU in the 1st round, but can't really complain about that.

RedsFanInBama
07-03-2010, 02:04 AM
So everyone that has signed so far has signed for slot or under?

JaxRed
07-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I guess they don't expect #26 Fontanez to sign

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204964449

NewRedsFan
07-04-2010, 11:57 PM
5th Round Pick Wes Mugarian will be signing this week he will be a fast mover through the farm system with a Nice fastball and real pitchability Just wait and see! Congratulations to Wes and good luck to the Division Leading Reds!

tbball10
07-05-2010, 12:38 AM
5th Round Pick Wes Mugarian will be signing this week he will be a fast mover through the farm system with a Nice fastball and real pitchability Just wait and see! Congratulations to Wes and good luck to the Division Leading Reds!

Good news! I'd assume the deal is over slot, so we may have to wait a while to see him, though that is not the end of the world. Good luck to Wes!

lollipopcurve
07-05-2010, 09:23 AM
thanks NewRedsFan -- welcome aboard to you and Wes!

Nice signing.

Grande Donkey
07-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Great news!

OnBaseMachine
07-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info and welcome to the board. Nice to see Mugarian signed. Now get Grandal, Cisco, and Waldrop signed and consider it a success.

Betterread
07-05-2010, 02:35 PM
This is a great signing. His HS stats:
A 26-1 record, a 1.19 ERA and struck out 325 batters in just 187.2 innings. He had two no-hitters this past season, including one while dueling highly touted Chipley HS starting pitcher Karsten Whitson. Whitson went No. 9 overall to the San Diego Padres. I bet that might have helped the Reds' decision to draft him.

savafan
07-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Good news! I'd assume the deal is over slot, so we may have to wait a while to see him, though that is not the end of the world. Good luck to Wes!

http://www.pnj.com/article/20100705/SPORTS/100705017/Mugarian-signs-with-Reds

The Reds’ fifth-round selection (No. 157 overall) in the June amateur entry draft, Mugarian signed for a $198,000 bonus and received several interesting perks.

fearofpopvol1
07-06-2010, 01:42 AM
http://www.pnj.com/article/20100705/SPORTS/100705017/Mugarian-signs-with-Reds

Awesome...so it is official now. Mugarian has signed! I really like his potential.

Now, we just need to get Grandal, Waldrop and Cisco signed and we'll have had a great draft. Something tells me though we'll probably only get 2 of the 3. I hope they can nab all 3 though.

nemesis
07-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Awesome...so it is official now. Mugarian has signed! I really like his potential.

Now, we just need to get Grandal, Waldrop and Cisco signed and we'll have had a great draft. Something tells me though we'll probably only get 2 of the 3. I hope they can nab all 3 though.

Waldrop is probably money in the bank at this point. He wants to sign. Grandal, I would assume, will be signed on Aug 16th around midnight. Cisco is interesting. Highly polished, could start in Dayton next year. I like many others don't see college improving his stock much. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up a Fairel, Sulbaran type deal around the 15th or 16th of August.

Caveat Emperor
07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
The Reds’ fifth-round selection (No. 157 overall) in the June amateur entry draft, Mugarian signed for a $198,000 bonus and received several interesting perks.

To hell with the money -- tell us more about the interesting perks. ;)

redsmetz
07-07-2010, 08:00 AM
To hell with the money -- tell us more about the interesting perks. ;)

Originally signed to play college baseball at Alabama, he will receive $20,000 per semester from Cincinnati through the College Scholarship program. The Reds also agreed to fly Mugarian and his parents, John and Caroline, to Cincinnati on Sept. 10 during the Reds’ series against Pittsburgh at Great American Ballpark where he’ll throw a bullpen session for pitching coach Bryan Price.

The Reds also agreed to fly John and Caroline to the team’s spring training home in Goodyear, Ariz., next year.

I'm not sure how coming to watch Pittsburgh play is an "interesting perk". The college bit doesn't surprise me. Lots of teams are agreeing to this on younger players.

texasdave
07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally signed to play college baseball at Alabama, he will receive $20,000 per semester from Cincinnati through the College Scholarship program. The Reds also agreed to fly Mugarian and his parents, John and Caroline, to Cincinnati on Sept. 10 during the Reds’ series against Pittsburgh at Great American Ballpark where he’ll throw a bullpen session for pitching coach Bryan Price.

The Reds also agreed to fly John and Caroline to the team’s spring training home in Goodyear, Ariz., next year.

I'm not sure how coming to watch Pittsburgh play is an "interesting perk". The college bit doesn't surprise me. Lots of teams are agreeing to this on younger players.

They are going to fly his parents to Cincinnati in a hot air balloon. I think that qualifies as interesting. :)

gedred69
07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Waldrop is probably money in the bank at this point. He wants to sign. Grandal, I would assume, will be signed on Aug 16th around midnight. Cisco is interesting. Highly polished, could start in Dayton next year. I like many others don't see college improving his stock much. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up a Fairel, Sulbaran type deal around the 15th or 16th of August.

The quote on Waldrop seems to be the pervasive line. My brother in Ft. Myers says it's essentially a done deal rather than the Bulls scholarship because the kid wants to play baseball, period......

nemesis
07-07-2010, 01:11 PM
The quote on Waldrop seems to be the pervasive line. My brother in Ft. Myers says it's essentially a done deal rather than the Bulls scholarship because the kid wants to play baseball, period......

That really is encouraging to hear. Waldrop sounds like he could develop into something special. Hope he gets done in the next couple weeks so he can at least get 50 or so AB's in the AFL.

dougdirt
07-07-2010, 01:22 PM
That really is encouraging to hear. Waldrop sounds like he could develop into something special. Hope he gets done in the next couple weeks so he can at least get 50 or so AB's in the AFL.

He won't be in the AFL. You must be in AA/AAA to be in the AFL with a few exceptions made. No team is ever sending a high school kid there. They would be eaten alive, big time.

flyer85
07-07-2010, 03:35 PM
He won't be in the AFL. You must be in AA/AAA to be in the AFL with a few exceptions made. No team is ever sending a high school kid there. They would be eaten alive, big time.too bad, I would be very interested to see how Harper would perform in the AFL.

lollipopcurve
07-07-2010, 03:43 PM
My guess is nemesis is referring to the Arizona Summer League...

Sea Ray
07-07-2010, 03:57 PM
He won't be in the AFL. You must be in AA/AAA to be in the AFL with a few exceptions made.

Unless your name is Mike Leake...

RED VAN HOT
07-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Cisco is interesting. Highly polished, could start in Dayton next year. I like many others don't see college improving his stock much. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up a Fairel, Sulbaran type deal around the 15th or 16th of August.

From BA's description Cisco sounds like another Leake in the making, with excellent command of a number of pitches but without an overpowering fastball. That would seem to establish his ceiling in a college draft, but there is considerable risk in ever realizing it. I would think that a desire to get his career started plus something between third and fourth round money would get it done.

dougdirt
07-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Unless your name is Mike Leake...

Hence the exceptions. The Reds had to petition baseball to get him in there.

Benihana
07-07-2010, 04:24 PM
From BA's description Cisco sounds like another Leake in the making, with excellent command of a number of pitches but without an overpowering fastball. That would seem to establish his ceiling in a college draft, but there is considerable risk in ever realizing it. I would think that a desire to get his career started plus something between third and fourth round money would get it done.

According to reports, he wants at least sandwich round money.

nemesis
07-07-2010, 04:45 PM
He won't be in the AFL. You must be in AA/AAA to be in the AFL with a few exceptions made. No team is ever sending a high school kid there. They would be eaten alive, big time.

Sorry ment the Arizona Summer League. Wrong letters... Lol.

fearofpopvol1
07-08-2010, 02:01 AM
According to reports, he wants at least sandwich round money.

What's the slot rate for that round? $500Kish? Or more?

dougdirt
07-08-2010, 02:06 AM
What's the slot rate for that round? $500Kish? Or more?

5-600,000. Somewhere in that range.

OesterPoster
07-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Little blurbs I found about Tant Shepherd. Hard to believe he's considering signing w/ the Reds as such a late pick...unless it's majorly over slot too.

Tweets are primarily about Tant's Texas teammate:

# @texaslippy $206 is the slotted ... he's asking for more than $412,000 Tuesday, July 06, 2010 5:05:36 PM via web in reply to texaslippy

Final Green tweet: He searching 4 a house with 1B Tant Shepherd, who also is debating btw signing with Reds & returning 4 senior season. #ut Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:37:54 PM via web

Cole Green is asking Detroit for more than twice the slotted amount, which is $206,000. #ut #horns Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:36:40 PM via web

The biggest #ut summer baseball story involves P Cole Green. He won't play 4 U.S. team. Will he return to #horns ? http://tinyurl.com/oomcsa Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:32:50 PM via web

fearofpopvol1
07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
5-600,000. Somewhere in that range.

Do you think the Reds will pony up? $500-600K isn't all that much really in the grand scheme of things.

Benihana
07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Do you think the Reds will pony up? $500-600K isn't all that much really in the grand scheme of things.

If they can get him signed for $500K (or $600K) I think they do it.

If he continues to demand $800K-$1MM, my guess is he goes to college.

If I had to lean one way, I'd guess the latter. FWIW 5th rounder Dickie Thon Jr. just signed with the Blue Jays for $1.5MM.

RED VAN HOT
07-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Little blurbs I found about Tant Shepherd. Hard to believe he's considering signing w/ the Reds as such a late pick...unless it's majorly over slot too.

Any thoughts on why he was not drafted by someone earlier? He had good offensive stats as a starter for a major program. The UT site shows him as a 3B/OF, while BA shows him drafted as 1B. Is it a case of a good ball player who does not profile well for a position at the major league level?

fearofpopvol1
07-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Any thoughts on why he was not drafted by someone earlier? He had good offensive stats as a starter for a major program. The UT site shows him as a 3B/OF, while BA shows him drafted as 1B. Is it a case of a good ball player who does not profile well for a position at the major league level?

I could be wrong, but I am speculating that it was the year left of eligibility he had left that concerned teams. Further, they may have been unsure of his value and thought with his year of eligibility left that he may have been too expensive since he wasn't a major prospect so he just sort of fell off the radar.

RED VAN HOT
07-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I could be wrong, but I am speculating that it was the year left of eligibility he had left that concerned teams. Further, they may have been unsure of his value and thought with his year of eligibility left that he may have been too expensive since he wasn't a major prospect so he just sort of fell off the radar.

Certainly seems to be worth taking a shot with a 47th pick. Now he has to weigh a bonus (?) and starting his career early vs trying to play his way into a higher selection next year.

redsmetz
07-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Decided I'd go searching for news stories on some of the unsigned players. Here's one from 6/17 on Cisco just indicating he's planning on taking it easy this summer in anticipation of his next step (pro ball or college). Nothing earth shattering or anything that indicates which way he's leaning.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/jun/17/wandos-cisco-taking-a-breather-from-baseball/

redsmetz
07-09-2010, 04:14 PM
According to the Bakersfield newspaper, Brent Peterson turned down a $250K bonus to attend West Point.

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/local/x467204982/Military-academy-bound-students-sacrifice-to-serve

Then the scouts came, and the Cincinnati Reds were interested -- very interested. The team selected him earlier this month in the 17th round of the Major League Baseball draft, and offered him $250,000.

But he decided to attend the U.S. Military Academy at West Point instead.

GIDP
07-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Tant :laugh:

NewRedsFan
07-10-2010, 05:05 AM
5th round pick Wes Mugarian got to camp on Wednesday and will begin throwing on Monday. Hope we get Cisco cant really see himself helping his stock pitching in the SEC he is very talented but that conference usually eats up young pitchers especially if they dont have overpowering stuff . I know there are exceptions and good freshman every year but thats my opinion.

UKFlounder
07-10-2010, 06:35 PM
But if he gets to campus, he's there for at least 3 years, so even if he struggles as a freshman, he'll have 2 more years to adjust.

5th round pick Wes Mugarian got to camp on Wednesday and will begin throwing on Monday. Hope we get Cisco cant really see himself helping his stock pitching in the SEC he is very talented but that conference usually eats up young pitchers especially if they dont have overpowering stuff . I know there are exceptions and good freshman every year but thats my opinion.

NewRedsFan
07-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Very true just saying from my experiences its hard to move up once you are a top 5 round guy and is the risk worth the reward

OesterPoster
07-12-2010, 08:20 AM
According to this brief article, 32nd rounder, Jaren Matthews has signed.

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20100707/SPORTS/7070327/1004/SPORTS

By KRIS MARTIN CORRESPONDENT - Published: July 7, 2010

The comings and goings for the Vermont Mountaineers have been plentiful this year. The team has already watched three catchers leave for various reasons, and most recently first baseman Jaren Matthews signed up with the Cincinnati Reds organization. But his locker wasn't empty for long; the cavalry has arrived.

RED VAN HOT
07-12-2010, 04:00 PM
At #32, Matthews looks like a low risk pick but with potentially high reward. BA says his swing is a mess and his ability to accept coaching is in question, yet he does have plus raw power. Perhaps a change of coaching can make a difference. I checked his Rutgers stats and noticed that he stole 16 of 18 leading the team in that department. Hopefully, he will not be tethered to 1B.

Gallen5862
07-12-2010, 05:01 PM
That makes 8 out of the top 10 signed and 24 out of the 50 picks signed. How does this compare to last year? I hope Grandal and Cisco and Waldrop and Shepherd also sign? What other draft picks should the Reds concentrate on signing?

camisadelgolf
07-12-2010, 06:57 PM
That makes 8 out of the top 10 signed and 24 out of the 50 picks signed. How does this compare to last year? I hope Grandal and Cisco and Waldrop and Shepherd also sign? What other draft picks should the Reds concentrate on signing?
The Reds signed 34 of their draft picks in 2009 (including all 16 through the first 15 rounds), but they've already released five of those players. A few of them were signed very close to the deadline, so I wouldn't be too nervous if it seems like they're slacking when it comes to signing players from this year's draft. I would expect at least five more to sign before the deadline, especially since players who sign for above slot--and the Reds have a few players who are expected to do so--typically need more time for their bonuses to be approved by the commissioner.

Gallen5862
07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
More signings and Roster moves from Baseball America. 46th round draft pick Patrick Quinn among the signings.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=9577

Cincinnati Reds
Signed: OF Drew Poulk (NDFA—North Carolina State)
Draft pick signed: RHP Pat Quinn (46)
Released: RHP Jon Adkins, LHP Derrick Lowery
Placed on 7-day DL: RHP Mark Serrano
Reinstated from DL: SS Jake Kahaulelio, OF Sean Conner

Drafted as a first baseman last year from Young Harris (Ga.) JC, Derrick Lowery tried his hand at pitching before drawing his release. He gave up nine runs on 12 hits over 5 1/3 innings in the Rookie-level Arizona League.

Texas Pete
07-21-2010, 11:26 PM
I think Tant Shepherd would be a good sign if the Reds sign him.

I think Shepherd has an underrated bat and will improve at the plate. He played 1B for Texas last season, but I think he is probably capable of playing other positions.

I watched some Texas games last season and Shepherd usually stood out as a nice hitter.

OesterPoster
07-22-2010, 08:07 AM
I think Tant Shepherd would be a good sign if the Reds sign him.

I think Shepherd has an underrated bat and will improve at the plate. He played 1B for Texas last season, but I think he is probably capable of playing other positions.

I watched some Texas games last season and Shepherd usually stood out as a nice hitter.

I agree. I liked what I saw from him in the WS; however, he's a 49th round pick...which means the Reds will probably have to go way over slot to get him signed. Based on previous years, that probably means the MLB office will hold up his signing until close to the deadline...if he signs at all.

REDblooded
07-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Anybody know where you can find a list of all signed draft picks thus far? For all of mlb?

camisadelgolf
07-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Anybody know where you can find a list of all signed draft picks thus far? For all of mlb?
The internet is a pretty good resource for that sort of thing. Try that out.

redsmetz
07-23-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure if anyone posted this article from June, a story from Yasmani Grandal's hometown paper talking about him turning down the Bosox offer out of high school and the payoff now being drafted in the 1st round.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/23/1696482/former-mssh-baseball-star-grandal.html

I may email the writer to see if he's heard any rumblings.

redsmetz
07-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Looks like the door is still open for Kyle Waldrop to sign. Here's a blog about USF baseball and it indicates that the university is still waiting to see if he will sign (as well as two other recruits).

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/07/usf-signee-dorminy-headed-to-hcc-instead.html

OesterPoster
07-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Nothing new on the contract front for Brandon Dailey, but found this recent article about the Canada junior national team.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/07/22/593355/canadas-squad-armed-and-ready.html

Canada is also strong in the middle infield, anchored by shortstop Brandon Dailey, from Brantford, Ont.

Standing in at 5'10", 170-pounds, Dailey isn't the most imposing player physically, but nonetheless a solid athlete with a multi-use skill set.

Described by the coaching staff as a leader on the team, Dailey should provide consistent contact at the top of the order (likely second) given his aggressive approach at the plate and tendency to square up on pitches. His ability to run and hit for average are both amplified when you consider his exceptional defensive talents, behind a strong infield arm and soft hands.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/07/22/593355/canadas-squad-armed-and-ready.html#ixzz0uVm49fMX

nemesis
07-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Looks like the door is still open for Kyle Waldrop to sign. Here's a blog about USF baseball and it indicates that the university is still waiting to see if he will sign (as well as two other recruits).

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/07/usf-signee-dorminy-headed-to-hcc-instead.html

From what I understand Waldrop is all but signed. The commissioners office is holding it up much like the Barnhart signing last year due to being so far over slot.

RED VAN HOT
07-23-2010, 02:57 PM

I use BA.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/2010draftdb.php

They show each club's draft and round by round across clubs, who has signed and for how much.

Very few #1's in the top half have signed to this point, which is normally the case.

Mario-Rijo
07-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Nothing new on the contract front for Brandon Dailey, but found this recent article about the Canada junior national team.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/07/22/593355/canadas-squad-armed-and-ready.html

Nice find OP, the kid sounds intriguing hope he signs.

OesterPoster
07-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Can officially stop looking for updates on the Auburn pitcher, Brad Hendrix. He's not going to sign.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/072010aac.html

Hendrix was a 30th round pick of the Cincinnati Reds but will instead return for his fourth season with Auburn. A right-handed reliever that has made 58 career relief appearances, he was 4-2 with a 5.35 ERA in 33 2/3 innings in 2010 with one save. Sporting a career record of 12-7, he led the team in wins as a sophomore with a 7-3 mark, coming out of the bullpen for all 24 of his appearances, throwing 46 innings and putting together a 5.09 ERA.

"I am definitely excited about coming back. I had a really fun year last year. I improved a lot and I think the expectations have risen," Hendrix said. "I expect to do more this year and help us go further. I still have a lot to prove and I am excited about my senior year and being a leader on the team."

fearofpopvol1
07-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Can officially stop looking for updates on the Auburn pitcher, Brad Hendrix. He's not going to sign.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/072010aac.html

I wonder why this kid DIDN'T sign...his numbers aren't stellar.

fearofpopvol1
07-24-2010, 01:28 AM
From what I understand Waldrop is all but signed. The commissioners office is holding it up much like the Barnhart signing last year due to being so far over slot.

Do you have a link to verify that?

HokieRed
07-24-2010, 09:19 AM
I wonder why this kid DIDN'T sign...his numbers aren't stellar.

Doesn't look to me like he's got anything to lose by going back. As an SEC pitcher, he'll get taken at least as high next year if he does anything at all and if he improves his numbers, he'll get taken higher. Not much reason for him to sign now.

dougdirt
07-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Doesn't look to me like he's got anything to lose by going back. As an SEC pitcher, he'll get taken at least as high next year if he does anything at all and if he improves his numbers, he'll get taken higher. Not much reason for him to sign now.

Of course as a senior, he will get lowballed no matter where he gets drafted and he has next to no bargaining power if he actually wants to continue to play baseball.

HokieRed
07-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Of course as a senior, he will get lowballed no matter where he gets drafted and he has next to no bargaining power if he actually wants to continue to play baseball.

Agree, but at 30 it's not like he's going to get a ton of money this time around anyway. He's kind of in a tough in-between spot, but it's about what his numbers suggest is right for him. Maybe he's thinking he can bump himself up all the way into the first ten rounds. Hard to know.

TRF
07-25-2010, 01:47 PM

He'll also graduate. That's not a bad thing to fall back on.

nemesis
07-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Do you have a link to verify that?

No sir. Just someone in the know gave me the low down. The Reds have put Grandel on hold until August 1st as well. Things should get serious in that first week.

Brutus
07-25-2010, 06:23 PM

If he's able to work himself into the top 10 rounds, he'll have much more leverage than he's got as a round-30 pick.

dougdirt
07-25-2010, 08:31 PM
If he's able to work himself into the top 10 rounds, he'll have much more leverage than he's got as a round-30 pick.

Sure, but even as a 5th-10th rounder, he isn't likely to get more than $25,000. That is what Mark Serrano got last year as a 6th rounder with dominant numbers and quality stuff.

I don't know what he was offered as a 30th rounder, but even if he turns it around, his offer isn't going to be much.

Brutus
07-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Sure, but even as a 5th-10th rounder, he isn't likely to get more than $25,000. That is what Mark Serrano got last year as a 6th rounder with dominant numbers and quality stuff.

I don't know what he was offered as a 30th rounder, but even if he turns it around, his offer isn't going to be much.

I would disagree with that. For a sixth round pick, for instance, the average pick gets well over $100K signing bonus. In fact, the average in 2007 was near $130,000. Getting $25K is a very, very low exception to the rule. If we're talking 10th round, $20 or $25K is probably about right.

I do agree, because of his role and situation, he'll likely get below average. But even so, the odds say as a top-10 pick he'll still get more than $25,000.

dougdirt
07-25-2010, 10:16 PM
I would disagree with that. For a sixth round pick, for instance, the average pick gets well over $100K signing bonus. In fact, the average in 2007 was near $130,000. Getting $25K is a very, very low exception to the rule. If we're talking 10th round, $20 or $25K is probably about right.

I do agree, because of his role and situation, he'll likely get below average. But even so, the odds say as a top-10 pick he'll still get more than $25,000.

Not as a senior he won't. You are using average money for non seniors. Guys who have leverage. Seniors get next to no leverage at all. Its either take the money or go on with your life of not playing baseball.

Brutus
07-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Not as a senior he won't. You are using average money for non seniors. Guys who have leverage. Seniors get next to no leverage at all. Its either take the money or go on with your life of not playing baseball.

Not really. They can just go on to sign with any organization if they don't sign. If they're talented enough to be a pick in the top 10 rounds, they're going to be likely picked up by someone. It's not a do-or-die situation.

dougdirt
07-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Not really. They can just go on to sign with any organization if they don't sign. If they're talented enough to be a pick in the top 10 rounds, they're going to be likely picked up by someone. It's not a do-or-die situation.

Sure, after the next years draft. If they don't get drafted again.

OesterPoster
07-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Brandon Dailey had a good 1st game at the World Junior Championships for Team Canada:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Elliott/2010/07/24/14816846.html

Good start

Mississauga’s Dalton Pompey went 3-for-3 including a double and a home run as Team Canada opened the world junior championship with a 9-2 win over The Netherlands at Port Arthur Stadium in Thunder Bay, on Friday.

Brantford shortstop Brandon Dailey, a draft choice of the Cincinnati Reds, hit a three-run homer and singled in a run in the fourth.

Montreal’s Jesen Dygestile-Therrien pitched six innings for the win.

medford
07-26-2010, 01:21 PM
so how much does the typical 10th round college senior get? What about 20th round or 30th round, vs how much they're offering now? Is he on a full ride at Auburn (I assume so, but it could be partial), how much is that worth? How much is getting his degree (if he's on pace) worth? Compare all that to what they're offering, and its an easy decision on the finacial side. On the flip side, its 1 more season in college, vs pitching in Billings or Arizona next summer, having to pay for rent and food vs the college dorm and training table (which are rather nice at most major colleges), the senior experience, etc... that's all worth something, varying by person, but if the Reds aren't going to offer much over slot, and he can make close to the same amount next year, knowing that as a 30th rounder his professional career is likely to be very short, that college degree is worth a ton. It will be a lot harder to go back to college to finish out his degree 4-5 years down the road, verse staying in school and finishing his degree right now, while living amongst his peers and friends.

redsmetz
07-28-2010, 08:34 PM
This is one of the writers I emailed about some of our unsigned players, from the Charleston Post & Courier sports blog:

The Cincinnati Reds have 17 days to sign Drew Cisco, or it's off to Athens and the University of Georgia for the talented right-handed pitcher who was a star at Wando for four years.

"Not yet," Cisco said when asked if he was close to signing with the Reds, who took him in the sixth round. "It's hard to say if we will reach an agreement. We'll find out soon because the deadline is Aug. 14. It's taking a long time, but hopefully it will be worth it."

Many baseball experts thought Cisco would be taken in the first two rounds, but signability was an issue. The St. Louis Cardinals were going to take Cisco as a supplemental first-round pick, but the sides couldn't agree on a signing bonus.

Cisco has kept in touch with the Reds.

"I went to a RiverDogs game with an area scout and I talked to the director of scouting a bunch," he said.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/jul/28/cyclones-poised-for-breakout-year/

Benihana
07-28-2010, 08:45 PM
I'd be very surprised if Cisco signs, which is unfortunate because he was the player I was most excited about after Grandal.

fearofpopvol1
07-28-2010, 09:18 PM
I wonder how much money Cisco wants. If it's not too crazy, the Reds should just pony up.

lollipopcurve
07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Would be sweet to sign him after the Cards couldn't.

corkedbat
07-29-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm willing to wager that Grandal, Cisco and Waldrop signings are all announced between Aug 10-14

redsmetz
07-29-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm willing to wager that Grandal, Cisco and Waldrop signings are all announced between Aug 10-14

I think you probably are right. Nothing in the piece indicated they were disagreeing with numbers (or that the Reds countered) which could indicate they're just waiting for the commissioner's office for approval. I wish they wouldn't drag this out, but I guess it's their only way to try to keep bonuses where they prefer.

camisadelgolf
08-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Just as a reference point, the Pirates haven't signed of their 10 of their first 13 picks this year. The Reds have signed 10 of their first 13 picks.

GIDP
08-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Just as a reference point, the Pirates haven't signed of their 10 of their first 13 picks this year. The Reds have signed 10 of their first 13 picks.

Doing the complete opposite of the pirates is a winning game plan

Sea Ray
08-06-2010, 09:28 AM

That is interesting. Check back in after the deadline and tell us how many actually ended up signing

redsmetz
08-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Cam, can you clarify what you're saying here? I think something's jumbled and I'm not catching the point.

Thanks.

camisadelgolf
08-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Cam, can you clarify what you're saying here? I think something's jumbled and I'm not catching the point.

Thanks.
The Pirates have signed only three of their first 13 picks, but the Reds have signed 10 of their first 13 picks. I'm just pointing out the contrast.

redsmetz
08-06-2010, 01:50 PM
The Pirates have signed only three of their first 13 picks, but the Reds have signed 10 of their first 13 picks. I'm just pointing out the contrast.

Thanks, there was an extra word in there somewhere that was confusing me. The Bucs may well get more signed, as I think we will too. I'm tired of this issue of paying over slot problem requiring the commissioner's permission. We're getting players late into their seasons.

klw
08-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Grandal update from Fay
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/06/update-of-yasmani-grandal/

I also asked Walt Jocketty about top pick Yasmani Grandal.

“We haven’t done much,” Jocketty said. “They told us how much money they wanted. That’s about it. It will come down to next week.”

Doc. Scott
08-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Just saw a tweet from BA (Jim Callis, I think) that the Reds signed Kyle Waldrop for $500,000- the highest bonus to date outside the top 10 rounds.

http://twitter.com/jimcallisBA

Gallen5862
08-07-2010, 06:11 PM
That is great news. What round was Waldrop projected if not for the signability question?

GIDP
08-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Reds signing him for 500k makes me think Yas will get a pretty substantial offer.

OnBaseMachine
08-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Excellent signing by the Reds. Now sign Grandal and Cisco and call it a day.

JaxRed
08-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I don't know what it was. I just had the feeling this guy would be the real deal. So I am very glad to hear this. I assume he'll be in Instructional League, but I wonder if he'll still be able to make some Arizona Summer League games.

RED VAN HOT
08-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Reds signing him for 500k makes me think Yas will get a pretty substantial offer.

YG was drafted #12, but I think he was projected to go higher.

As a reference point, according to BA, Michael Choice at #10 received $2M and Chris Sale at #13 received $1.656M.

OnBaseMachine
08-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Baseball America on Waldrop:

Waldrop starred in baseball and football (as a safety and wide receiver) at Riverdale High in Fort Myers, Fla. The 6-foot-3, 190-pounder has average or better tools across the board, standing out most with lightning bat speed that allows him to drive balls to all fields from the left side of the plate. An outfielder, he fits best in right field. He had committed to South Florida.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2681

edabbs44
08-07-2010, 08:36 PM
From a pre-draft article in a TB newspaper

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/06/mlb-draft-could-steal-usf-juniors-signees.html

corkedbat
08-07-2010, 11:35 PM
From a pre-draft article in a TB newspaper

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/06/mlb-draft-could-steal-usf-juniors-signees.html

I love this signing. Sounds like a higher round talent that the Reds got later and signed overslot. seems to be a true corner OFer who should mature around the time Yorman does. Hopefully he lives up to his clippings - OFs with power potential are easily this franchise's biggest need, IMO.

corkedbat
08-07-2010, 11:44 PM
If they'll offer Waldrop $500K as a 12th-rounder, wonder what the extend to Cisco?

Az. Reds Fan
08-07-2010, 11:52 PM
If they'll offer Waldrop $500K as a 12th-rounder, wonder what the extend to Cisco?

Hopefully just enough to get him to sign :D

mth123
08-08-2010, 12:18 AM

Or maybe they have given up on Grandal and have money to spare so the big dollars go to this kid.

fearofpopvol1
08-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Or maybe they have given up on Grandal and have money to spare so the big dollars go to this kid.

It sure would be interesting if so. The Reds would get a high pick next year and the draft is supposed to be deeper next year too.

Waldrop is an awesome sign. The kids just sounds like an excellent athlete. Maybe a slight overpay for him, but I like the risk. He sounds like he'll be worth the investment.

If the Reds could score Grandal and Cisco too...this will have been an excellent draft.

icehole3
08-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Excellent signing by the Reds. Now sign Grandal and Cisco and call it a day.

I'd still like to see Rob Kral signed, power hitting LH catcher reminds me of a Canadian power hitting LH catcher

redsmetz
08-08-2010, 06:26 AM

I'm guessing he signs for around $2M, although they may need to match Leake's $2.27M from last year. The next higher player who has signed is Oakland's pick at $2M, the White Sox paid a $1.656 bonus to the kid picked after our's. But the further out the signing goes, usually pushes it up. I think we get him signed somewhere in my numbers. [BTW, some reports have Leake's bonus at $2.9M, but Cot's cites the $2.27M]

Just a guess, but I think we get Cisco in too with a bonus in the $750K to $1M range.

cjtenn28
08-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Word I heard today on the radio is that Grandal wants a big league contract and a spot on the 40 man. The Reds are pushing back.

RED VAN HOT
08-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Word I heard today on the radio is that Grandal wants a big league contract and a spot on the 40 man. The Reds are pushing back.

I hope the Reds stay firm in their opposition. Adding players to the 40 who have virtually no chance of making the ML active roster in 2011 exposes an additional player of potential value as AAA insurance. The Reds have used the depth on their 40 well this year and should continue to do so.

SirFelixCat
08-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Waldrop signed?!?!

GIDP
08-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Yea Reds have no room on the 40 man to give Grandal a spot, especially opening up during the middle of the season. Maybe if they agree to a deal and add him in the offseason but it isnt happening any this season.

dougdirt
08-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Waldrop signed?!?!

Yes :D

SirFelixCat
08-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Yes :D

:happydance: 1 of the big 3 in...2 to go!:thumbup:

SirFelixCat
08-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm reading Waldrop signed for $500k per BBA tweet. Very nice!

LoganBuck
08-08-2010, 10:20 PM

I can see that debate

Grandal's Agent: We want a big league contract on the 40 man roster.
Walt: Yeah um, no.
Grandal's Agent: Why?
Walt: We are cutting players as it is, in the middle of a playoff run. You aren't special.
Grandal's Agent: That isn't my problem.
Walt: If you don't want to send him back into the draft, it is.

mth123
08-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Yea Reds have no room on the 40 man to give Grandal a spot, especially opening up during the middle of the season. Maybe if they agree to a deal and add him in the offseason but it isnt happening any this season.

While I kind of agree, OTOH, I'd rather sign Grandal than worry about losing Danny Rae Herrera, Micah Owings or Enerio Del Rosario. My problem with giving him a 40 man spot is that it makes the timetable for a major league spot pretty quick and I'm not sure he'll be ready that quickly.

camisadelgolf
08-09-2010, 07:11 AM
While I kind of agree, OTOH, I'd rather sign Grandal than worry about losing Danny Rae Herrera, Micah Owings or Enerio Del Rosario. My problem with giving him a 40 man spot is that it makes the timetable for a major league spot pretty quick and I'm not sure he'll be ready that quickly.
Odds are, a Major League deal would mean that 2014 would be the last year he could be optioned. As polished as he supposedly is, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. Devin Mesoraco was about as raw as it gets, and it looks like he'll be ready by next year or so. Meanwhile Ryan Hanigan, Devin Mesoraco, and possibly Kevin Coddington are probably going to be the only in-house catching options on the 40-man roster in a couple years anyway.

Gallen5862
08-09-2010, 09:45 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/

The Reds and 12th-round pick Kyle Waldrop have agreed to terms on a $500,000 bonus, the largest deal to date in the 2010 draft for a player drafted after the 10th round. Under MLB provisions for two-sport athletes, Cincinnati will spread the bonus over multiple years.

marcshoe
08-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Odds are, a Major League deal would mean that 2014 would be the last year he could be optioned. As polished as he supposedly is, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. Devin Mesoraco was about as raw as it gets, and it looks like he'll be ready by next year or so. Meanwhile Ryan Hanigan, Devin Mesoraco, and possibly Kevin Coddington are probably going to be the only in-house catching options on the 40-man roster in a couple years anyway.

That's what I'm thinking. In his case, the major league contract's not that big a deal--he'll likely be fast-tracked anyway.

redsmetz
08-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Just a reminder, the deadline is Monday August 16th. I saw one article from 8/5 that said only 12 of the 32 1st round draft picks had signed, the same number at the same time last year. Since then, Wimmers has signed with the Twins. Last year, all but three first rounders signed by the deadline. Of those three, Aaron Crow was signed last due to the fact he no more college eligibility. Matt Purke is now playing college ball and LeVon Washington ended up academically ineligible for NCAA play, went to a junior college and was drafted in the second round by the Indians.

It really has become an annual kabuki dance between all four parties (MLB, teams, players & agents).

Benihana
08-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I'd be fine if they don't sign Yaz, so long as they draft a real player next year with the Comp pick and not a pure signability guy.

I do however, really want them to sign Cisco. Unfortunately I'd be surprised if it happens.

fearofpopvol1
08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I'd be fine if they don't sign Yaz, so long as they draft a real player next year with the Comp pick and not a pure signability guy.

This is my concern about NOT signing Grandal this year. At the same time though, it probably would give them the room to sign Cisco.

medford
08-10-2010, 01:53 PM
The problem is, if they don't sign Grandal, and take a player next year that has any signability issues, he's got the Reds over the coals in terms that he knows the Reds will lose that pick and will be more likely to come to his terms than vice versa.

As long as the Reds are offering a little over slot, or a fair deal per say, Grandal would be stupid not to sign. There's no garuntee that he'd be drafted any higher next year, and he'd have 0 leverage as a collegiate senior. If it takes a major league deal, so be it. Between Chapman, Bray & Rhodes, there shouldn't be any need for a lefty out of the pen this season. next year there has to be a better option than DRH on the free agent market to fill the Loogy spot next year (not that DRH was really any good at that this year)

camisadelgolf
08-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Brandon Dailey (34th round) and Dan Renken (25th round) are signed. I haven't found a link for Renken, but here's one for Dailey: http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports/sports/article/858199

RED VAN HOT
08-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I am glad to see the Renken signing, as the BA description was interesting. His delivery was described as funky in that he hides the ball and seems to jump at the hitter. Also, described as not overpowering, but having good secondary pitches including a good change with sudden drop. With three solid years of starting experience with a good program, he seems like someone who could move through the system rapidly.

redsmetz
08-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Just looking around for more info on the final draftees and I came across this bulletin board discussion about University of Louisville baseball and there is talking there that Joel Bender will be signing with the Reds. I'm not sure what the UL connection was (was he recruited by them). Some mention that he intended to go the JUCO route, but then he got drafted. I'm guessing we're working on overslot money (which is probably true on many of the remaining draftees).

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2762&t=6188957

nemesis
08-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Just a FYI. The same guy who gave me the low down on Waldrop gave me a little info on the Grandal/Cisco situation.

It seems that Cisco camp is wanting a 7 figure bonus. While the Reds are offering a mid 6 figure bonus. Now I guess the issue is, that Grandal is asking for top 5 money and the Reds are trying to stick to slightly above slot. If the Reds go way way over slot for Cisco and sign him first, the Grandal camp will probably be less inclined to move off their demands if not raise them. So it puts them in a very touchy situation with both.

camisadelgolf
08-12-2010, 06:23 PM
The Reds were willing to go over slot for Alonso, so it's going to be really difficult to convince Grandal's people that they're not willing to go over slot for him, too.

nemesis
08-12-2010, 07:29 PM
The Reds were willing to go over slot for Alonso, so it's going to be really difficult to convince Grandal's people that they're not willing to go over slot for him, too.

From what he said they are willing to go over slot but not top 5 Money over slot. But if you give a 6th round pick late first round money, it makes it hard to take a hard line stance on your #1 pick wanting top 5 money. My personal opinion is that we have 2 pitchers with pretty much identical makeups and stuff in Mugarian and Cisco in back to back rounds. Mugarian throws a little harder with a little less polish. Take in the fact the 7th rounder Amezcua is a similar built guy with a power High School arm and loosing Cisco isn't a major loss. Grandal would be. Having him creates alot of flexibility down on the Farm.

Mario-Rijo
08-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Just a FYI. The same guy who gave me the low down on Waldrop gave me a little info on the Grandal/Cisco situation.

It seems that Cisco camp is wanting a 7 figure bonus. While the Reds are offering a mid 6 figure bonus. Now I guess the issue is, that Grandal is asking for top 5 money and the Reds are trying to stick to slightly above slot. If the Reds go way way over slot for Cisco and sign him first, the Grandal camp will probably be less inclined to move off their demands if not raise them. So it puts them in a very touchy situation with both.

Which is why I expect Grandal to get signed and Cisco not to unfortunately. Perez and Marrero didn't get signed last season either and I wish they had the 2 of them are vying for college baseball freshman of the year from what I heard and we could have had both of 'em if they would have went well over slot like Cisco wants.

Benihana
08-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Which is why I expect Grandal to get signed and Cisco not to unfortunately. Perez and Marrero didn't get signed last season either and I wish they had the 2 of them are vying for college baseball freshman of the year from what I heard and we could have had both of 'em if they would have went well over slot like Cisco wants.

Exactly.

Kc61
08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
I've always wondered about these good prospects drafted in "lower" rounds.

My sense is that a guy like Cisco could be a hedge against Grandal. In other words, do the Reds draft Cisco knowing he's a tough sign - and intend to pay him only if Grandal falls through.

I've felt that way in the past too. Draft some highly touted tough sign guys, and only sign them if your first pick isn't signed.

If anyone knows whether this kind of thinking prevails, I'd be interested.

JaxRed
08-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't think they do that. For example they may not know if Grandal is going to sign untill 11:55 PM.

nemesis
08-13-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't think they do that. For example they may not know if Grandal is going to sign untill 11:55 PM.

Very true. But if the Reds make a hard line, bottom line offer and Grandals camp says no on the last day you call Cisco and say here is your bonus you demanded. Grandal wastes another year in College or Indy Leagues and the Reds move on.