View Full Version : Are Cards fan worried about us

aubashbrother
06-10-2010, 07:13 PM
http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41310

I hate the cardinals and their cocky fans

xavr1
06-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Me too. This was interesting:

"Should [the Reds] beat the Cardinals? No. We're superior on paper and should be better poised to handle the stretch run. On the other hand, something about them just kind of worries me. I don't know what it is; their rotation doesn't scare me and outside of Votto and a surprising Rolen their offense doesn't bother me much. They just seem to have that annoying swagger that just gets under their opponents' skin. That's not always a good thing, but it's worked out for them so far."

redsfanmia
06-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Why would they be worried about the Reds? Their Manager invented the game.

1990REDS
06-10-2010, 07:25 PM
they have had the division on lockdown for the better part of a decade and we havent even had winning seasons. myself and im sure the rest of the sundeck would agree that the reds arnt going away and will be here all year, but i guess i could see why the casual cardinals fan wouldnt be worried about us.

sabometrics
06-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I can't blame them for having confidence in a team that has made the playoffs 7 of the last 10 years (winning the division 6 of those 7 times), won a World Series, and was far and away the best team in the division last season and going into this season. Also can't blame them for being dismissive of a team that has a track record of failure like the Reds do over the last decade.

Their reaction seems perfectly reasonable to be honest. The Reds will be doubted every step of the way this season until they actually get results. I think they can get them, but that doesn't make others arrogant because they don't have the opportunity to watch them day in and day out and expect a fall-off based on past history.

texasdave
06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Me too. This was interesting:

"Should [the Reds] beat the Cardinals? No. We're superior on paper and should be better poised to handle the stretch run. On the other hand, something about them just kind of worries me. I don't know what it is; their rotation doesn't scare me and outside of Votto and a surprising Rolen their offense doesn't bother me much. They just seem to have that annoying swagger that just gets under their opponents' skin. That's not always a good thing, but it's worked out for them so far."

If anyone would recognize annoying swagger it would be Cardinals' fans. They have been watching it daily for the better part of a decade.

sivman17
06-10-2010, 08:01 PM
"Not even a little to be honest"

what a bunch of dooshes.. i hate the cards

Jr's Boy
06-10-2010, 09:14 PM
''and outside of Votto and a surprising Rolen their offense doesn't bother me much''

I guess this guy does not look at the NL offensive standings much.

lidspinner
06-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Hell, i am not even scared of the Reds yet.....If I was a Cards fan I would laugh at the thought of the Reds winning the central this year. We have been a little better than the Pirates in the last decade so no need to think things will change in a little over 3 months of a season.......keep it up and run at that title in to August then the Cards will start worrying about us. But honestly, we need to do it year in and year out before anyone will even look at us as a contender.....how many 1 year contenders do you see every year? Lots of them...they all ususally fall back to reality after that 1 good year. I want us to put a stretch together and I think we will.

Vottomatic
06-11-2010, 03:00 AM
Well, we can't afford a Pujols and Holliday. But from 1 thru 8, I think our overall lineup is way better.

They have better starting pitching, but they have 2 starters down for the count. I'm looking forward to hitting against Suppan later on. Hehehe.

We're young and they're getting older. They're going to become cash strapped in their payroll with big contracts to Pujols, Holliday and Carpenter. We're not.

My final opinion is that they're players/team is talking a big game, but not exactly getting it done.

And what's with their pathetic message board? Redszone kicks ass over that Cardinals message board. Yikes.

webbbj
06-11-2010, 03:53 AM
they shouldnt be afraid of us.

Magdal
06-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Well, we can't afford a Pujols and Holliday. But from 1 thru 8, I think our overall lineup is way better.

They have better starting pitching, but they have 2 starters down for the count. I'm looking forward to hitting against Suppan later on. Hehehe.

We're young and they're getting older. They're going to become cash strapped in their payroll with big contracts to Pujols, Holliday and Carpenter. We're not.

My final opinion is that they're players/team is talking a big game, but not exactly getting it done.

And what's with their pathetic message board? Redszone kicks ass over that Cardinals message board. Yikes.I'm familiar with that board. It is indeed a sad, sick place. But it may surprize that on MANY Cardinal pre-season polls that it was the REDS, not the Cubs that were concidered the team to beat in the Central.

The erea I live in gives me access only to Cardinal and a little Atlanta fan stuff. The Cable TV I have gives me access to about 5 Cardinal games and about 2 Reds and Braves games a week. I get about 2 Cubs games on WGN.

It is apparent to this reporter that St. Louis fans have an almost pathological hatred for the Cubs, and a wary respect for the Redlegs. Those old enough to remember the tough Reds teams of the '60s and the GREAT teams of the '70s harber no malice as the Cardinals were awful in the '70s and could not compete with any team!

Personally, I'm tired of the Cubs' contending and getting to the post and FAIL, for what? 100 years? The Stro's with those killer Bees and 2 lights out starters for 10 years to come up dry? (Mil. is not worthy of mention)

I pull for whatever Central team that makes it to the W.S. as I have a pathological hatred for the Damn Yanks/Sawx and I'm enjoying this Reds/Cards battle. It would be a damn shame to let the Cubs back into the race, but it seems that neither team can get it together.

Oops, sorry. I got carried away here, went WAY off topic. But it's not me, it's the Chablis.

DaytonFlyer
06-11-2010, 07:37 AM
If anyone would recognize annoying swagger it would be Cardinals' fans. They have been practicing it daily for the better part of a decade.

FTFY.

krm1580
06-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Looking at this from the Cardinals perspective, why would they be worried about the Reds? They are 7-5 against us, have taken 3 out of 4 in series and for those of you who subscribe to the idea 1-run games can go either way, 4 out of our 5 wins have been one run games, while only one of their wins has been my LESS than three runs.

If I am a Cardinal fan, I am thinking I have slapped the Reds around pretty good this year and when I look in the standings I am more surprised they are still hanging around than worried they will beat us.

As Rick Flair once said "To be the man, you gotta beat the man." and until we start smacking the Cardinals around they have nothing to be worried about.

Jack Burton
06-11-2010, 11:30 AM
They're on scare tactics.

defender
06-11-2010, 12:45 PM
If that poll was on this site, the results would be similar. Especially if the vote was done after Tuesdays game (or next time the Reds lose a few games in a row).

BurgervilleBuck
06-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't care. I'm just enjoying this Reds season.

Vottomatic
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Looking at this from the Cardinals perspective, why would they be worried about the Reds? They are 7-5 against us, have taken 3 out of 4 in series and for those of you who subscribe to the idea 1-run games can go either way, 4 out of our 5 wins have been one run games, while only one of their wins has been my LESS than three runs.

If I am a Cardinal fan, I am thinking I have slapped the Reds around pretty good this year and when I look in the standings I am more surprised they are still hanging around than worried they will beat us.

As Rick Flair once said "To be the man, you gotta beat the man." and until we start smacking the Cardinals around they have nothing to be worried about.

Wow. They're a whopping 7-5 against us? I'm scared now.

This division race is about more than just beating eachother. You gotta beat everyone else on the schedule too. If they make their living beating up on us and losing to everyone else, and we take care of business against everyone else, we still win.

It's about more than just the Cards and Reds.

Redlegs_87
06-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Cardinals may be 7-5 against us but they are 10-8 against the rest of the central. Reds are 17-7 against the rest of the central.

krm1580
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow. They're a whopping 7-5 against us? I'm scared now.

This division race is about more than just beating eachother. You gotta beat everyone else on the schedule too. If they make their living beating up on us and losing to everyone else, and we take care of business against everyone else, we still win.

It's about more than just the Cards and Reds.

You make good points - completely unrelated to the question asked - but good points which I completely agree with.

To the question asked in the thread though which is "Are Cards fans worried..", from their perspective no they are not worried about the Reds. I am sure they fully believe they are a better team than the Reds and will win the division.

Personally I think the teams are pretty close over 162. At this point I would give the Cards a slight edge because the pitching advantage they have over us, especially in the bullpen, is a little more than the hitting advantage we have on them.

texasdave
06-11-2010, 04:31 PM
The additions of Edinson Volquez and Aroldis Chapman have the potential to neutralize the Cardinal pitching advantage quite a bit. Those two arms would look mighty nice in the bullpen. And, I would think, they will both be ready sometime around the ASB. It would surprise me if the Reds fell out of the race in the second half. But anything is possible.

kfm
06-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Reading some of their boards, some of them are worried about the Reds. They point to the reds young pitching and young players and the it factor that they reds seem to have. However, some of them look at the Reds pretty much the same way the average Yankees fan used to look at the Rays. Their attitude is that the Reds are the Reds just a bad organization with lousy players, lousy pitching, a lousy manager, a washed up GM and cheap owner. They can't picture themselves losing to the Reds because the Reds have never done anything to make them think they could lose out to the Reds. I think that is the majority view of Cards fans. I have a lot of friends who are Yankees fans and when I told them a few years ago that the Rays have a chance to be very very good very soon, they looked at me as I had two heads. Most cards fans will not worry about the Reds until it is too late.

Vottomatic
06-11-2010, 07:01 PM
You make good points - completely unrelated to the question asked - but good points which I completely agree with.

To the question asked in the thread though which is "Are Cards fans worried..", from their perspective no they are not worried about the Reds. I am sure they fully believe they are a better team than the Reds and will win the division.

Personally I think the teams are pretty close over 162. At this point I would give the Cards a slight edge because the pitching advantage they have over us, especially in the bullpen, is a little more than the hitting advantage we have on them.

The more I think about it, I don't really care if their fans are worried about us or not.

I think we're the up and comers and we have to dethrone the king of the central. But I definitely see cracks in the armor of the king. They got swept by a good pitching Dogders team and we split with a good pitching Giants team. In terms of team ERA in all of mlb, the Giants are 4th and the Dodgers are 12th. St. Louis is 2nd and we're 22nd.

In terms of team batting average in all of mlb, we are 2nd, Dodgers 7th, Giants 9th, and St. Louis is 13th.

So again, we split with a good pitching and hitting team, and they got swept by one.

Revering4Blue
06-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I can't blame them for having confidence in a team that has made the playoffs 7 of the last 10 years (winning the division 6 of those 7 times), won a World Series, and was far and away the best team in the division last season and going into this season. Also can't blame them for being dismissive of a team that has a track record of failure like the Reds do over the last decade.

Their reaction seems perfectly reasonable to be honest. The Reds will be doubted every step of the way this season until they actually get results. I think they can get them, but that doesn't make others arrogant because they don't have the opportunity to watch them day in and day out and expect a fall-off based on past history.

Nice objective, well-stated post.

Maker_84
06-11-2010, 10:50 PM
after tonight i wouldn't be too afraid of Cincinnati