PDA

View Full Version : Volquez to make first minor league start Saturday

DirtyBaker
06-10-2010, 10:43 PM
From yesterday but I haven't seen a thread about it yet.

"Reds starting pitcher Edinson Volquez, who is trying to return from August Tommy John surgery on his right elbow, will begin a Minor League rehabilitation assignment Saturday. Volquez will start for Class A Lynchburg vs. Potomac and is expected to throw around 50 pitches."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100609&content_id=10988346&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

bounty37h
06-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Wonder how long his timeline will be wiht rehab. I have tix on the Bats dugout June 30 in Durham, would love to see him.

bleedsred
06-11-2010, 10:31 AM
No way should Volquez be here before the All-Star break....rehab him along slowly until then. Both Bray and Burton are close and should be able to give the Reds a little more time for Edison.

I'm more interested right now with what they are going to do with Bailey and Lecure.:confused:

muddie
06-12-2010, 07:41 AM
I started a thread on this a couple days ago but apparently it fell out of view. We bought two tickets right behind Lynchburg's dugout for this one. It is right at a three hour drive up from here but we had wanted to get up there this year anyway so this is as good excuse as any.

I'd be shocked if Volquez went beyond three innnigs. Donnie Joseph pitched an inning last night and I wanted to see him pitch. Don't know if they'd run him out there again tonight or not if they're up a run.

ian_madden
06-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't know much about tommy john surgery, but I am going to act like i am an expert right now. I don't want him throwing more than 50 pitches and not at 100%. Let him try to hit his spots, and get a nice work out in. Break a sweat. Work from there.

Reds
06-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm assuming he's worked on the side and in simulated games?

Quatitos
06-12-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm assuming he's worked on the side and in simulated games?

Yes, he has been doing bullpen sessions for about a month now maybe and has had at least 3 simulated games I can remember hearing about. I have to imagine he will have something like a 50-60 pitch count limit for the game, depending on how stressful the conditions are.

Orodle
06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
i'm curious to what his velocity will be at

muddie
06-13-2010, 07:14 AM
We got in from Lynchburg last night at 11 o'clock, tired. The second half of the drive up was in the rain and I was hoping they would get this one in. Just a bit before game time things cleared up.

Off the mound, Volquez was in mid season form with the locks and the hat, straight brim and slightly off to the side. I was impressed with his interaction with his team mates in that he is probably only there for a few hours and gone again. I believe it was Cody Puckett that ran a ball down for the third out and Volquez waited for him at third base to thank him as Puckett was coming off the field.

On the mound, it was obvious this was his first start. A couple of fastballs went to the backstop, one in warmups and one live. His best stuff was his off-speed pitches. One batter for the P-Nats, as they're called, swung at three off-speed pitches in one at bat and never touched the ball. He went three innnings and stayed under 50 pitches, pretty much what everyone expected.

Having said all that, Hotchkiss was lights out behind Volquez. His performance was dominating. I would love to see him in Carolina soon.

Nice park. We had been there maybe fifteen years ago when the Mudcats and Hillcats were both with the Pirates. Good turnout for the game as I would have expected, 4745 announced.

On a somewhat personal note, it was nice to see the Hillcats remembering Jim Bibby with a patch on their sleeves with his name and number. Jim and myself were born in the same small town ten years apart. I remember him taking time out to talk with me back when we were up there years ago. As soon as I told him where I was from it was like he had known me all his life. He was an extremely kind individual by all accounts.

PedroBourbon
06-13-2010, 07:21 AM
I read he gave up 2 hits then retired 9 straight. Nice rehab start.

kfm
06-13-2010, 11:36 AM
We got in from Lynchburg last night at 11 o'clock, tired. The second half of the drive up was in the rain and I was hoping they would get this one in. Just a bit before game time things cleared up.

Off the mound, Volquez was in mid season form with the locks and the hat, straight brim and slightly off to the side. I was impressed with his interaction with his team mates in that he is probably only there for a few hours and gone again. I believe it was Cody Puckett that ran a ball down for the third out and Volquez waited for him at third base to thank him as Puckett was coming off the field.

On the mound, it was obvious this was his first start. A couple of fastballs went to the backstop, one in warmups and one live. His best stuff was his off-speed pitches. One batter for the P-Nats, as they're called, swung at three off-speed pitches in one at bat and never touched the ball. He went three innnings and stayed under 50 pitches, pretty much what everyone expected.

Having said all that, Hotchkiss was lights out behind Volquez. His performance was dominating. I would love to see him in Carolina soon.

Nice park. We had been there maybe fifteen years ago when the Mudcats and Hillcats were both with the Pirates. Good turnout for the game as I would have expected, 4745 announced.

On a somewhat personal note, it was nice to see the Hillcats remembering Jim Bibby with a patch on their sleeves with his name and number. Jim and myself were born in the same small town ten years apart. I remember him taking time out to talk with me back when we were up there years ago. As soon as I told him where I was from it was like he had known me all his life. He was an extremely kind individual by all accounts.

Nice post, thanks for the update. Any news on his velocity?

muddie
06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
The park did not have a speed gun reading up anywhere. We looked everywhere I would think one would be and nothing. If someone on the RZ board is a local to Lynchburg, please let me know if I missed it.

It was pretty obvious he was conservative in his first start with velocity though. It would have been nice to know what his ranges were. I think the organization has to be satisfied with this start.

DirtyBaker
06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
That was a great update Muddie. Sounds like his velocity and command were out of whack, but could still fool some batters. Coming back from TJ surgery, that about as good as a Reds fan could hope for.

texasdave
06-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Nice post, thanks for the update. Any news on his velocity?

From Fayblog: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Volquez’s fastball speed Saturday “consistently reached 92-95 miles per hour with his top speed clocked at 96 mph,” according to the ABC reporter on the scene.

DirtyBaker
06-14-2010, 11:19 PM

Vottomatic
06-18-2010, 09:13 AM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t481&t=g_box&gid=2010_06_17_kinafa_lynafa_1

Volquez goes 5 innings, gives up 1 hit (an infield hit), 4 K's, no walks, in pitching for Lynchberg.

They said he was throwing in the mid-90's and threw about 60 pitches.

Vottomatic
06-18-2010, 09:16 AM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t416&t=p_pbp&pid=435538

Bill Bray pitched 1 inning for Louisville last night. 15 pitches, 11 strikes.....gave up 1 hit. He's gone 3 innings for The Bats and given up 2 hits with 1 K.

Reds
06-18-2010, 09:17 AM
^^^Volquez goes 5 innings, gives up 1 hit (an infield hit), 4 K's, no walks, in pitching for Lynchberg.

They said he was throwing in the mid-90's and threw about 60 pitches.^^^

That's encouraging to hear. 4-7 grd out to fly ratio, 1 hbp but a good outing, and it was 90 degrees so it's good he went 5.

1990REDS
06-18-2010, 10:45 AM
^^^Volquez goes 5 innings, gives up 1 hit (an infield hit), 4 K's, no walks, in pitching for Lynchberg.

They said he was throwing in the mid-90's and threw about 60 pitches.^^^

That's encouraging to hear. 4-7 grd out to fly ratio, 1 hbp but a good outing, and it was 90 degrees so it's good he went 5.

Sounds great! We really need to have him back in the rotation pitching well.

arkimadee
06-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I'd say Harang is sweating