PDA

View Full Version : Post-Draft Top Ten???

chicoruiz
06-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Between the draft, the signing of Perez, and the ups (Meso, Valaika) and downs (Yonder, Frazier) of the 2010 season, I personally have no idea how to construct a top ten prospect list after Chapman. Picking one at this point in the year is a pretty moot exercise anway, but does anyone want to try one just for fun?

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Uggh, something like this, maybe.

#1 - Chapman
#2 - Alonso
#3 - Frazier
#4 - Mes
#5 - Heisey
#6 - Cozart
#7 - Grandal
#8 - Yorman
#9 - Hamilton
#10 - Wood

Pony Boy
06-11-2010, 10:41 AM
I think if the Reds' brass was commenting on this thread they would insist on Grandal being much higher than #7. Perhaps as high as #3.

lollipopcurve
06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
too soon for this, IMO

dougdirt
06-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Until these guys sign, its all moot.

RedsManRick
06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Well, we know it wouldn't be more than Grandal and maybe LaMarre.

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I think if the Reds' brass was commenting on this thread they would insist on Grandal being much higher than #7. Perhaps as high as #3.

Well I might be inclined to move him a spot maybe 2 but IMO no more than that right now. Assuming he signs which I am confident he will he's a fine prospect but I still believe Mes is clearly the better prospect, he doesn't quite have Grandals overall polish but he's more talented and we might be surprised at just how polished he is comparitively speaking. And if true then it makes Grandal no better than 5 IMHO.

Scrap Irony
06-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Mesoraco more talented than Grandal?

Where do you get that idea, M-R?

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Where do you get that idea, M-R?

Well at this point until I hear more about Grandal that is my view. There has never been any question that Mes' talent level is anything other than at least above average across the board. Grandal has a few question marks that need answering.

Scrap Irony
06-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Sure, there have. Numerous questions. Tons of questions. Experts considered him a less than ideal athlete with questionable defense (to be kind), a slow bat that has a ton of holes in it, and a really, really slow pop time to second base.

Obviously, he's improved in those areas, but to say he didn't have questions is plain, flat-out wrong.

Kc61
06-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Chapman
Francisco
Frazier
Yorman
Alonso
Grandal
Wood
Mesoraco
Cozart
Joseph
Boxberger
Hamilton
Lamarre
Valaika
Duran

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Sure, there have. Numerous questions. Tons of questions. Experts considered him a less than ideal athlete with questionable defense (to be kind), a slow bat that has a ton of holes in it, and a really, really slow pop time to second base.

Obviously, he's improved in those areas, but to say he didn't have questions is plain, flat-out wrong.

Talent and skill are 2 different things. I've never heard any issues with arm strength, bat speed or anything else god given except people continually questioned his overall conditioning but I have never seen the kid out of shape. If you have please post.

Benihana
06-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Chapman
Francisco
Frazier
Yorman
Alonso
Grandal
Wood
Mesoraco
Cozart
Joseph
Boxberger
Hamilton
Lamarre
Valaika
Duran

I'd give it a few tweaks but this looks somewhat reasonable for the time being. Important to note that right now there is a big gap between Chapman and everybody else.

Superdude
06-12-2010, 12:44 AM

I can't imagine arguing Grandal over Mesoraco at this point. Even if he turns out to be a good hitter, Grandal's defense is supposedly passable at best. Mesoraco has a chance to be a plus defender and has been tearing the cover off the ball all year.

Kc61
06-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I can't imagine arguing Grandal over Mesoraco at this point. Even if he turns out to be a good hitter, Grandal's defense is supposedly passable at best. Mesoraco has a chance to be a plus defender and has been tearing the cover off the ball all year.

Just look at Mesoraco's performance so far except for this year at High A. Remember all the reports that the Reds had blown the pick. BA ranked him 30th among Reds prospects this year.

Grandal is an advanced, polished college performer, Mes is very much a work in progress.

It's reasonable to pick Mes. He seems to be very talented and showed it at Lynchburg.

It's just as reasonable to pick Grandal.

Superdude
06-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Grandal is an advanced, polished college performer, Mes is very much a work in progress.

How is Grandal not a work in progress? He's hardly a can't miss prospect and has yet to step into a professional batter's box.

Remember all the reports that the Reds had blown the pick. BA ranked him 30th among Reds prospects this year.

What reports? Mesoraco was unanimously a mid first round talent. And it shouldn't have been a shock that a high school catcher from Pennsylvania didn't dominate the minors right out of the gate, especially with the nagging injuries the past few years.

Benihana
06-12-2010, 07:59 PM
From BA chat today:

Billy (Brandywine, MD): All four Reds minor league teams are currently in last place. Mesoraco hasn't exactly shined since his promotion to AA, and other than a few fringe prospects (Sappelt and Valaika come to mind) none of the hitters have shown much this season. The pitching prospects have been better, but there doesn't appear to be a much talent at the lower levels. Should the Reds be "betting the farm" that this is their year? Is the future as bleak as it appears, or are there good prospects having bad years?

J.J. Cooper: The Reds' farm system talent takes a significant drop once you get below Triple-A. But there is a reasonable explanation for that. Last year's No. 1 pick, Mike Leake, is starring in the big leagues—it won't help their farm system ranking, but it's helping them win games. Their 2008 third-rounder Zach Stewart, was traded away to get Scott Rolen (they didn't have a second-round pick that year).Two of their top three picks in the 2007 draft are in Triple-A. So if you look at the top talents in the Reds' system from the past three drafts, most of them are either in the big leagues, have been traded away or are in Triple-A. The big league club now has young home-grown players at C, 1B, RF, CF and LF (at times) as well as three-fifths of the rotation, so while there isn't much help at Class A or Double-A, there also aren't a whole lot of upcoming needs. The Reds have no reason not to dangle Yonder Alonso/Juan Francisco/Todd Frazier if they can swing a deal to help their playoff chances this year, especially because the majority of players on the big league club will be back next year already, which means those guys are likely blocked anyway.

Very interesting and I am in complete agreement. Now is the best possible time to be trading away the farm for big league help. Other than Chapman, there is no one in the organization that I would be distraught over trading provided there was value coming back.

As far as the talent drop off after AAA, it is very true. Although way too early, in the spirit of this thread, take a look at the (arguably) top ten prospects below AAA:

1. Yorman Rodriguez
2. Yasmani Grandal
3. Devin Mesoraco
4. Brad Boxberger
5. Donnie Joseph
6. Ryan LaMarre
7. Billy Hamilton
8. Juan Duran
9. David Sappelt
10. Neftali Soto