PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Been to the College World Series?

Reds Freak
06-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Crossing one off the 'bucket list' next weekend and heading out to Omaha with a few buddies for the College World Series. We've been talking about this for years and are finally going to do it and I couldn't be more excited.

Anyone ever been? Any suggestions for parking, restaurants, things to do after the games? We are going to two games on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and staying about five miles outside of Omaha...

Chip R
06-11-2010, 02:48 PM
The Henry Doorley Zoo is right next to the stadium. If that's your thing, it is one of the best zoos in the country.

dabvu2498
06-11-2010, 03:15 PM
It's awesome. My favorite event. Parking sucks. Some homeowner in the neighborhood nearby will get your $5, you'll park in their yard and they'll and tell you you're close, then you'll walk like 12 blocks to get to the yard. There's really no eating/drinking type establishments within walking distance of the yard. I've never eaten anywhere in Omaha other than the park and chain-type places.

Who cares!!! It's awesome. Go and have a great time. Soak it up. Amateur, tournament baseball is the best. And the folks that show up in Omaha are people who love their schools and their programs.

Omaha loves the event and they should. Hopefully I'll be there myself.

Joseph
06-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Go man, enjoy the hell out of it. you don't get to do enough of these things in life so you should take every chance you can.

Kingspoint
06-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Good for you, Reds Freak. Should be a blast.

cincinnati chili
06-17-2010, 05:39 AM
I went the year that J.D. Drew was the best amateur baseball player on the planet and saw just about every game. Parking indeed is a drag but my friends in Omaha carted me around and let me drink. Good times. Stay hydrated. The summer weather in Nebraska, much like the winter weather in Nebraska, is often quite miserable. No shade at Rosenblatt Stadium that I can remember.

Blimpie
06-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Is this the final year they will play in Rosenblatt before moving to the 24,000 seat stadium in Omaha?

Chip R
06-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Is this the final year they will play in Rosenblatt before moving to the 24,000 seat stadium in Omaha?

Yeah. Nice article about this.

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/cws/rosenblatt

Blimpie
06-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks for posting that, Chip....

Chip R
06-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks for posting that, Chip....

They had a show on ESPNU last night called The Long Home Run. Think it will be on again the 28th at 11:00 a.m. Them at 2 p.m. on the 30th. Very good show.

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2010, 08:51 AM
One of those things I want to do when I start making more money and I can afford the trip.

Root hard for my GATORS!!!!!!!!!!

cumberlandreds
06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah. Nice article about this.

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/cws/rosenblatt (http://espn.go.com/ncaa/cws/rosenblatt)

Thanks for posting. A very good article. I didn't know this was it for Rosenblatt Stadium. It certainly holds much history for college baseball. I watched much of the CWS back in the 80's when our cable TV started carrying ESPN. Almost every game was exciting. It was also neat to see future MLB players like Clemons,Bonds,Ventura etc... The CWS always seemed have its own unique set of characters too like the one's the article talked about. Such as the armed umpire that always seemed to be there or the kid who would try to catch the foul balls that would come off the backstop screen. I'll have to try to watch one of these last games to see the old stadium go off into retirement.

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Isn't Erin Andrews the Queen of the Tournament?

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Root hard for my GATORS!!!!!!!!!!

It's the SEC vs the PAC-?

Razor Shines
06-19-2010, 08:42 AM
My brother in law is going. He got his tickets way in advance, he was sure that the Longhorns were going to be there this year. He's kinda pissed.

George Anderson
06-19-2010, 12:47 PM
An umpire in our association is working it. He is the first one ever for our group to make it.

TheBigLebowski
06-19-2010, 01:53 PM
It's the SEC vs the PAC-?

basically

Razor Shines
06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
An umpire in our association is working it. He is the first one ever for our group to make it.

That's really cool.

I just noticed your profile. When did Lenny die?

George Anderson
06-19-2010, 04:56 PM
That's really cool.

I just noticed your profile. When did Lenny die?

Last October of a heart attack.

He was a pain in the ass to work for but he did make many of us great umpires.

Razor Shines
06-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Last October of a heart attack.

He was a pain in the ass to work for but he did make many of us great umpires.

That's too bad.

Yeah, I almost worked for him one year, but I think I ended up playing travel ball instead. He was really good friends with my Uncle and I heard plenty of stories about him.

Kingspoint
06-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Florida eliminated.

UCLA 2-0 and sitting around until Friday.

Arizona St. versus South Carolina in an elimination game today.

TCU versus Florida State in an elimination game tomorrow.

Winner of Oklahoma versus Clemson tonight goes to 2-0 and sits until Friday.

TheBigLebowski
06-22-2010, 12:13 PM
My goodness, did the Gators ever crap out. Worst baseball I've seen us play in years.

Good thing is, our team is all FR and SO. We'll be back next year, hopefully with different results.

Chip R
06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
My goodness, did the Gators ever crap out. Worst baseball I've seen us play in years.

Good thing is, our team is all FR and SO. We'll be back next year, hopefully with different results.

I thought they were gonna pull it out in that 9th inning.

Kingspoint
06-23-2010, 03:00 AM
Top-seeded Arizona State ousted in 2 games....crushed 11-4 by South Carolina today.

Clemson/Oklahoma game suspended in the 6th w/ Clemson up 6-1.

Reds Freak
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Just got back from Omaha last night and can report it was one of the coolest trips I have ever taken. It is a baseball fanís paradise and should be at the top of your list if you have never made the trip. You can feel the passion and energy for the game of baseball from the players, the fans and that stadium.

We parked all four days in someoneís yard near the stadium and they couldnít have been more hospitable. They let us set up our grill in their yard and we were able to eat and drink between the games there. We met a ton of people from all over the country who love baseball and it was a lot of fun to be a part of that. Iím really glad we were able to make it to the last year Rosenblatt because it was a great experience.