PDA

View Full Version : Can we get Owings outta here already

aubashbrother
06-11-2010, 10:45 PM
send him down . DL him. do something everytime we comes in a game walk walk walk walk. bring maloney up

Maker_84
06-11-2010, 10:49 PM
tonights loss was not his fault, we had numerous times to win the game with just 1 hit and didn't do it. Blame Votto, or Arroyo for blowing the lead but not the BP

FlyerFanatic
06-11-2010, 11:11 PM
doesnt help hes only worked once or twice. doesnt get in, needs that work

ILoveWilly
You're right not his fault, its Reds management's fault for not finding some bullpen help to get in there who wouldn't give up a walk to an .083 batter that ends up costing us the game.

Kingspoint
send him down . DL him. do something everytime we comes in a game walk walk walk walk. bring maloney up

:rolleyes:

bleedsred
06-11-2010, 11:33 PM
LOL...I feel all the negativity towards Owings....how could he walk Pena on 4 pitches? But I don't think I would throw him out with the trash just yet. I really don't get why Bruce wasn't asked to bunt....move them over then PH Cairo to win....

DirtyBaker
06-12-2010, 01:30 AM
Hasn't pitched in 11 days. It may be an excuse but it's a fact. Check out his game log -- he pitches well when he's getting work.

If he hasn't pitched long relief in 4 or 5 days Dusty just has to throw him out there in the 6th or 7th at least to keep him adjusted to game situations.

gedred69
06-12-2010, 01:51 AM
He hasn't been used enough to get used to the BP regimen. I have wondered why, when others have floundered, why he hasn't been used more! He couldn't be any worse. Owings needs to work to get accustomed to working in relief. The only excuse I can come up with is he's a potential pinch Bat. Screw that, he's supposed to be a PITCHER!!!!!

(Who happens to be able to hit)...

sabometrics
06-12-2010, 03:20 AM
He's a long reliever. A long reliever that doesn't have problems in his game would be in a MLB rotation. They're all going to have appearances like this, especially when they're not getting any in-game work.

double21d
06-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Owings definitely played a part in this Reds loss. There's a bigger problem though. You have article after article about the Reds lack of bullpen depth and the fear that we are overusing Rhodes and will burn him out. Then we have Owings who NEVER pitches. A relief pitcher who pitches twice so far this month??? Its not like one of his outings was 4 innings or something.

ian_madden
06-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Hasn't pitched in 11 days. It may be an excuse but it's a fact. Check out his game log -- he pitches well when he's getting work.

If he hasn't pitched long relief in 4 or 5 days Dusty just has to throw him out there in the 6th or 7th at least to keep him adjusted to game situations.

I agree. I think he could be a fix to our bullpen troubles.

Griffey012
06-12-2010, 10:11 AM

Yes, because the logical solution after every pitcher gives up runs is to DL'him, release him, or trade him. If the "reaction" were running this team we would already be through our MLB, AAA, and part of our AA pitching staffs because we would have already released everyone.

This time last year Owings was a starter in our rotation, now he is the long reliever, where he belongs.

bgwilly31
06-12-2010, 12:07 PM
This loss falls partially on owings shoulders absolutely.

However i blame dusty as well. You cant let a guy that obviously didnt have it walk two straight guys and not even be close to the plate.

You watch him walk the first guy. Then you watch him throw the next guy two pitches wayyy out of the strike zone.

Right then and there Dusty should have pulled and put whoever else in.

You dont let owings obviously struggling blow this game for us.

Vottomatic
06-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Agreed. I had the same thought at the time.

Dusty does weird things.

He hasn't gotten Owings any work in games and suddenly uses him in a tie game?

Headscratcher.

Vottomatic
06-12-2010, 01:30 PM
This loss falls partially on owings shoulders absolutely.

However i blame dusty as well. You cant let a guy that obviously didnt have it walk two straight guys and not even be close to the plate.

You watch him walk the first guy. Then you watch him throw the next guy two pitches wayyy out of the strike zone.

Right then and there Dusty should have pulled and put whoever else in.

You dont let owings obviously struggling blow this game for us.

I agree.

Quatitos
06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Agreed. I had the same thought at the time.

Dusty does weird things.

He hasn't gotten Owings any work in games and suddenly uses him in a tie game?

Headscratcher.

He put him into an extra innings game, which you don't know how long will last, so you put your best long relief guy in there. Owings has been good in long relief this year and you can argue that he was good enough last night. The throw home should have been a lot better considering how shallow Stubbs was when making the throw, and if it was on a better line then no way Votto cuts it off trying to get the runner at third.

Owings pitched a good enough inning and his defense left him out to dry. When you look at it Dusty actually managed this game a lot better than the Royals' manager, who was actually down to only his closer left in the bullpen if the reds make it out of the inning unscathed. I mean sure Dusty could have used Owings a little more in the past couple weeks to keep the rust off, but he did use Owings in the right spot here, so we didn't end up like the Royals bullpen which really lucked out last night.

Owings is the long man, who unfortunately has not gotten much playing time lately. But when you go into extra innings tied, you don't know how long its going to last so you put your long man out there and let him go. This was especially important in this game since almost the whole Royals bullpen had been used up to this point. Dusty was playing the right cards here, and unfortunately the execution was not there this time, and the blame has a ways to go around and does not rest solely on Owings.

Reds
06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Dusty was playing the right cards here, and unfortunately the execution was not there this time, and the blame has a ways to go around and does not rest solely on Owings.

I agree. I would have also put the MO in. I had him (in my mind) slated to pitch 3-4 innings.

Broadcasters mentioned the fact that it can be difficult to pitch twice in a month and then expected to execute well.

Vottomatic
06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
He put him into an extra innings game, which you don't know how long will last, so you put your best long relief guy in there. Owings has been good in long relief this year and you can argue that he was good enough last night. The throw home should have been a lot better considering how shallow Stubbs was when making the throw, and if it was on a better line then no way Votto cuts it off trying to get the runner at third.

Owings pitched a good enough inning and his defense left him out to dry. When you look at it Dusty actually managed this game a lot better than the Royals' manager, who was actually down to only his closer left in the bullpen if the reds make it out of the inning unscathed. I mean sure Dusty could have used Owings a little more in the past couple weeks to keep the rust off, but he did use Owings in the right spot here, so we didn't end up like the Royals bullpen which really lucked out last night.

Owings is the long man, who unfortunately has not gotten much playing time lately. But when you go into extra innings tied, you don't know how long its going to last so you put your long man out there and let him go. This was especially important in this game since almost the whole Royals bullpen had been used up to this point. Dusty was playing the right cards here, and unfortunately the execution was not there this time, and the blame has a ways to go around and does not rest solely on Owings.

I'm not questioning Owings role with the team. What I'm questioning is the lack of game time he's seen this month, and THEN putting him in that position.

Dusty sticks Herrera, Masset, Rhodes and Cordero in game almost daily, but doesn't use some of these other guys.

Frankly, and I said it at the time, so it's not hindsight, but I scratched my head when Dusty ran Arroyo out there for his last inning. He had become a batting tee and I was clamoring for Owings at that point. If Owings had been rusty at that stage of the game, you still have time to overcome it.

Caveman Techie
06-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah, sorry there are other guys in the Bullpen that need to go away before Owings. Not his fault he hasn't hardly been used this year and he has some rust. Maybe if Dusty would give him some more work from time to time he would actually be ready for a game like that last night.