PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Brandon Phillips hot dogging it...

mroby85
06-11-2010, 11:38 PM
I realize Phillips has been hitting really well lately, and I know he's a solid above average player, but I am extremely frustrated with seeing him constantly do things that cost them. Tonight it ends up being a 1 run loss, there isn't really an easier double play turn than the one he had with the bases loaded, and he decided to non-shalant it, and the runner ends up beating it out, costing them a run in this one run loss. Again, I realize he's a solid player, and has been hitting really well, and if it was a one time thing it would be different, but this hasn't been an isolated incident with him. He's constantly doing things like not running out of the box, and playing at 100% all the time. Seriously, is it really that much to ask for a guy to run hard 4 times a night with the kind of money they make? When you hit a ball that is questionable, RUN, and if you can't judge any better than he has in the past, run when you think you are sure you hit it out until you see it go over. I'm not saying to get rid of Phillips, he's an extremely talented player, all i'm saying is i'm sick of seeing stupid mental mistakes that he makes that should be easy for him to fix cost them games. Hanley Ramirez was benched for not hustling, and he's certainly a higher profile player than BP.

Krawhitham
06-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Phillips is the Franchise

Just ask him

Mutaman
06-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Of all the things Reds fans have to complain and /or worry about, the play and hustle of Brandon Phillips is pretty low down on the list.

davereds24
06-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Where's your Votto thread, he's made way more mental mistakes.

mroby85
06-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Where's your Votto thread, he's made way more mental mistakes.

I hope you aren't serious... he had a bad game tonight, but phillips isn't half the player he is, and makes way more bonehead plays than votto does. As I said in the initial post, I think Phillips is a solid player, and helps the team overall, what bothers me is how easy the stupid things he continually does would be to fix. eg. the double play tonight, or the several bonehead baserunning mistakes, and then waving to the camera after being picked off. You can say what you want about Votto, but he plays hard all the time, and doesn't take plays off.

gedred69
06-12-2010, 01:59 AM
Votto, (whom I'm usually a great fan of), sure made a bonehead cutoff decision tonight. The winning run was out if he'd let the throw come to the plate.

powersackers
06-12-2010, 02:11 AM
A lot of African American players think the term "Hot Dog" or "Hot Dogging it" is a racial slur. I've heard it from players on MLB radio and in print. I don't really have an opinion on it, but I can't say I remember the last time I heard someone call a white player a "hot dog".

texasdave
06-12-2010, 02:17 AM
A lot of African American players think the term "Hot Dog" or "Hot Dogging it" is a racial slur. I've heard it from players on MLB radio and in print. I don't really have an opinion on it, but I can't say I remember the last time I heard someone call a white player a "hot dog".

Jim Edmonds has been accused on about, oh roughly one hundred million occasions, of being a hot dog on this board. Redszone feels unequivocally that Jim Edmonds is slathered head to toe with mustard.

webbbj
06-12-2010, 02:29 AM
i didnt see all the game tonite but i felt brandon phillips has made great strides in terms of playing hard. his 1st at bat he is willing to sacrifice his bat for and runs down the line. i never really seen him "hotdog" on the defensive side i always seen him take great pride in that area of his game.

i do agree on the base running a little b/c sometimes he has missed concentration and got into some pickles. but he has also probably gone 1st to 3rd, 1st to home, 2nd to home more than any other player.

sabometrics
06-12-2010, 03:11 AM

Really? I've never heard this. I'd be interested in seeing the etymology of the phrase.

Kingspoint
06-12-2010, 03:12 AM
AI don't really have an opinion on it, but I can't say I remember the last time I heard someone call a white player a "hot dog".

That's all we called them back in the '60's.

webbbj
06-12-2010, 03:35 AM
just saw the highlight of the game and i didnt see anything wrong with that double play. im not saying BP hasnt dogged it in the past but since we started wining since late april he has really stepped up his game

double21d
06-12-2010, 06:53 AM
I think race definitely played a role in the incident in Washington with Phillips. If a Jonny Gomes does that or a David Wright does that, he's an intense player who wants to win. With Phillips, he's showing up his team. Meanwhile, we watch so many histrionics after strikeouts and homeruns that go un-noticed.

As far as Votto goes. The Reds don't win without him. He just doesn't seem like a good first baseman. He's improved from 2 years ago, but he still has a long way to go. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to left to make room for Alonso when that time comes.

ian_madden
06-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I think race definitely played a role in the incident in Washington with Phillips. If a Jonny Gomes does that or a David Wright does that, he's an intense player who wants to win. With Phillips, he's showing up his team. Meanwhile, we watch so many histrionics after strikeouts and homeruns that go un-noticed.

As far as Votto goes. The Reds don't win without him. He just doesn't seem like a good first baseman. He's improved from 2 years ago, but he still has a long way to go. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to left to make room for Alonso when that time comes.

I could be wrong, but I think Alonso is working in LF because Votto is our 1st baseman. He is a better athlete than Yonder but Votto has, and in on the verge of being a good defensive 1st baseman. Alonso has to find a spot to play, not Votto.

Griffey012
06-12-2010, 10:20 AM

For the most part Votto is a great first baseman. His defensive strides have been huge...last night he was not there though. Such as the barehand play Rolen had early on where Votto appeared to come off the bag before the ball the there (even though he didn't scoop it). Seemed like he gave up on the play before it was over...which is basically what Phillips is being accused of.

The thing with Phillips double play turn is that he makes the turn look so easy we can all be convinced a difficult turn is an easy one. When you have the runner bearing down on you as a 2b you have 2 options, do a quick throw to first with your momentum flowing away from the 2b bag, or step in front of behind the bag and make a harder throw. The 2 options really balance out (harder throw but take more time to make it, or softer but quicker release). Phillips almost always makes the quick release, slower throw.

On another note, have any of you ever seen a MLB umpire pump his fist out, only to call the guy safe? The guy was safe but that was a bit bizarre.

markymark69
06-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I realize Phillips has been hitting really well lately, and I know he's a solid above average player, but I am extremely frustrated with seeing him constantly do things that cost them. Tonight it ends up being a 1 run loss, there isn't really an easier double play turn than the one he had with the bases loaded, and he decided to non-shalant it, and the runner ends up beating it out, costing them a run in this one run loss. Again, I realize he's a solid player, and has been hitting really well, and if it was a one time thing it would be different, but this hasn't been an isolated incident with him. He's constantly doing things like not running out of the box, and playing at 100% all the time. Seriously, is it really that much to ask for a guy to run hard 4 times a night with the kind of money they make? When you hit a ball that is questionable, RUN, and if you can't judge any better than he has in the past, run when you think you are sure you hit it out until you see it go over. I'm not saying to get rid of Phillips, he's an extremely talented player, all i'm saying is i'm sick of seeing stupid mental mistakes that he makes that should be easy for him to fix cost them games. Hanley Ramirez was benched for not hustling, and he's certainly a higher profile player than BP.

Okay, then. You have to promise not to bash Dusty when he sits Brandon down and his replacement goes 0-for-4. Because I can just see it now. "Stupid Dusty cost us again, because he set down his hottest hitter."

bgwilly31
06-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Did this really turn into a race thread. :lol:
only in the sundeck.

I also think phillips should have scored on the rolens shot to the wall. You cant play that ball to be caught.

mroby85
06-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Okay, then. You have to promise not to bash Dusty when he sits Brandon down and his replacement goes 0-for-4. Because I can just see it now. "Stupid Dusty cost us again, because he set down his hottest hitter."

You're right, Phillips should just be allowed to do whatever he wants and not have any type of punishment. If he doesn't want to run out balls, he shouldn't have to, if he doesn't want to put a full effort into turning a double play, then by all means don't put yourself out BP, because you're better than the 2nd baseman behind you.

As for the racism, I didn't mean it in any type of racist way, thats a term that i've always heard used as not going 100%, wouldn't the hot dog play of the game be racist on FSN?

Vottomatic
06-12-2010, 01:28 PM

While I agree that BP's throw didn't have much power behind it, I really thought the trouble started when OCab had a hard time getting the ball out of his glove and slowly flipped it to Phillips. That hesitation cost them a step.

double21d
06-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Votto has improved in my opinion because 1 he is a good athlete and 2 he is a hard worker. He's been playing 1B a long time to be making some of the mistakes he makes (and I'm not talking about last night). There are times when he flips to a pitcher not expecting a throw or when he can't handle a pickoff throw. Those types of plays can make a difference in a game.

Krawhitham
06-12-2010, 03:24 PM

"Hot Dogging it" is a racial slur? You have to be f*****g kidding, right? I have not heard the term "Hot Dogging it" in 10 years before this thread

The man had cloths (and shoes) made that were labeled "The Franchise", he ***** and whined that Josh Hamilton was getting too much press and was taking the spotlight away from him

He is a good player (streaky, but good) but he is no where near as good as he thinks he is

flash
06-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Every hear of Pete Rose.

Vottomatic
06-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Yeah, he really hot dogged it when he laid out and caught that line drive and jacked that solo homer. :rolleyes:

Caveman Techie
06-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I can't believe I wasted the time to read this whole thread :rolleyes:

markymark69
06-12-2010, 10:28 PM
You're right, Phillips should just be allowed to do whatever he wants and not have any type of punishment. If he doesn't want to run out balls, he shouldn't have to, if he doesn't want to put a full effort into turning a double play, then by all means don't put yourself out BP, because you're better than the 2nd baseman behind you.

As for the racism, I didn't mean it in any type of racist way, thats a term that i've always heard used as not going 100%, wouldn't the hot dog play of the game be racist on FSN?

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished when he does something wrong. What I'm saying, if Dusty does that then you can't complain because Dusty set down his hottest hitter.

Where in my post did I say that he shouldn't be punished or that he can do whatever he wants???

Knightro28
06-12-2010, 10:41 PM
I'll never get tired of Phillips. He is playing amazing this year. Hands down. Another outstanding game tonight.

Maker_84
06-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Phillips should never be bashed again with the yr he is having

sabometrics
06-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Wait, people are questioning Votto's ability to play 1B? From what I've seen this year he's been one of the best at playing his position both in the field and at the plate. FWIW his UZR is 3rd best in the majors. Honestly I have zero complaints about Joey, and can't understand why anyone could find a standing to be critical.

I guess I'll just write it off as (over)reaction to yesterday's cutoff play.

Reds
06-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Wait, people are questioning Votto's ability to play 1B? From what I've seen this year he's been one of the best at playing his position both in the field and at the plate.

I believe he's known as an average fielding (catching, footwork, etc) first basemen. I think he's known as a plus hitter though. He's young and should get better, I like Joey.

And the way Brandon plays, the smiles and such, I've grown to believe that that's just his style. It doesn't mean that he wants to win any less than the guy that looks stressed after striking out. That said he's not the type of player that going to really "run out" a pop fly. He's not kicking in extra gears on fly balls.

sabometrics
06-13-2010, 02:44 AM
In past years I would say the word average adequately describes his play at 1B, but this year he seems to clearly have put in the work to improve. I'll just leave it at that, no need to go any further off-topic.

mroby85
06-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Yeah, he really hot dogged it when he laid out and caught that line drive and jacked that solo homer. :rolleyes:

As I said in the post, he's a good talented player capable of doing good things, but that doesn't make mental mistakes any less frustrating. I'm not saying I even dislike the guy because I don't. I feel like doing things like he did tonight helps prove my point of how good he could be if he didn't constantly fall into the trap of not always giving it 100%.

MarkyMark69: I wasn't saying you said that, but you set up a hypothetical situation saying I couldn't bash Dusty for benching him for something like that, implying that I would, and I honestly wouldn't bash Dusty if he sat him for not playing as hard as he should, I think it's something that should be done when a player isn't giving 100% effort on every play.

Vottomatic
06-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Well, Joey Votto is my favorite player (go figure) and he has made some really stupid mistakes lately, so to each his own.

Griffey012
06-13-2010, 11:21 AM
I believe he's known as an average fielding (catching, footwork, etc) first basemen. I think he's known as a plus hitter though. He's young and should get better, I like Joey.

And the way Brandon plays, the smiles and such, I've grown to believe that that's just his style. It doesn't mean that he wants to win any less than the guy that looks stressed after striking out. That said he's not the type of player that going to really "run out" a pop fly. He's not kicking in extra gears on fly balls.

This :thumbup:. Phillips is a happy go lucky character, basically the opposite of Gomes. Both personalities are important to the club. Griffey probably caught the same kind of flack early in his career for always smiling and wearing the backward hat. But he would run through a wall for his team, as Phillips would do.

MrMcConnell
06-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Only in Cincinnati can fans get upset not at the quality of play, but the fact someone may hot dog it.

Phillips is one of the most talented guys on this team and we're really concerned about this? If you want a bunch of Ryan Freels on your team, then be my guest.

Vottomatic
06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Only in Cincinnati can fans get upset not at the quality of play, but the fact someone may hot dog it.

Phillips is one of the most talented guys on this team and we're really concerned about this? If you want a bunch of Ryan Freels on your team, then be my guest.

Hey Mike.......how's WGN in Chicago? ;)

Kingspoint
06-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Yep.

He's having his best year ever as a RED.

When he was moved to the two-hole is when this team took off Offensively.

All the guy did was handle the #4 hole brilliantly for as long as Dusty asked him to do it, even though he's not a #4 hitter.

No one else could handle the #2 hole this season (Dickerson, Cabrera, and others tried), but Phillips has been nothing short of "spectacular".

Kingspoint
06-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Phillips rankings:

Among National League 2nd Basemen:

Runs: 1st
Hits: 2nd
Doubles: 2nd
Stolen Bases: 1st
AVG: 2nd
SLG: 3rd
OPS: 2nd
Total Bases: 2nd
X-Base Hits: 2nd
Sacs: 2nd
Runs Created: 3rd

Among all National League Players:

Doubles: 4th
Average: 6th
Total Bases: 6th
X-Base Hits: 9th
Sacrifices: 4th

Griffey012
06-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Thankfully it sounds like Phillips won't be going on the DL. He doesn't get credit for it but he is a real tough guy. And should be commended playing through injuries, and you don't hear a peep out of him about being hurt for the most part. A lot of guys will use an injury as an excuse after an off year.

mroby85
06-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Phillips rankings:

He's talented, he's talented, he's talented, he's talented, he's talented!! I feel like that keeps getting overlooked in what i've posted, I have never dissed his ability to play, he's a good player! I'm just talking about the mental mistakes being frustrating because they're something that should be easily corrected. I don't want a team full or Ryan Freel players, never suggested that, yet more words put in my mouth that i didn't say. However, I have no problem with players that are good playing hard all the time, like Joey Votto does. There are players that are absolute studs that still play the game the right way, they don't have to be like Ryan Freel, and be middle of the road players. The fans of this franchise should realize that as much as any with Pete Rose being one of the teams best players in history. I feel like what I said has been misconstrued as me saying Phillips isn't valuable to the team, and isn't a good player. Not what I meant at all.

Kingspoint
06-15-2010, 04:14 AM
He's talented, he's talented, he's talented, he's talented, he's talented!! I feel like that keeps getting overlooked in what i've posted, I have never dissed his ability to play, he's a good player! I'm just talking about the mental mistakes being frustrating because they're something that should be easily corrected. I don't want a team full or Ryan Freel players, never suggested that, yet more words put in my mouth that i didn't say. However, I have no problem with players that are good playing hard all the time, like Joey Votto does. There are players that are absolute studs that still play the game the right way, they don't have to be like Ryan Freel, and be middle of the road players. The fans of this franchise should realize that as much as any with Pete Rose being one of the teams best players in history. I feel like what I said has been misconstrued as me saying Phillips isn't valuable to the team, and isn't a good player. Not what I meant at all.

It's hard to harness some of the talent these days because players get paid so much money. Unfortunately, they get coddled a lot, and so you get the bad with the good, such as Brandon being 3rd in the National League in Caught Stealing, or being ranked 147th in Sacrifice Flies (he doesn't have one).

One interesting thing about Brandon is that he doesn't look at Strikes. He's 5th in the National League in swinging at strikes. He could be a little more selective (he's 3rd worst in the NL in seeing 3-0 counts...only 2% of his at-bats), but it works for him,....especially this year.

Kingspoint
06-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Another interesting thing about Phillips is that he's by far the best base-runner on the team even though he's been picked off 3 times this year.

He's 7th in the National League in "Bases Taken", which includes bases advanced on fly balls, passed balls, wild pitches, balks, and defensive indifference. The next RED is ranked 24th (Cabrera and Votto). Votto is 2nd worst in the National League in "Outs while making a base-running play". (Rolen is 7th) (The REDS are 4th worst in the NL, but they're a very aggressive base-running team and it's paid off more than it hasn't. Baker is constantly putting pressure the entire game on the opposing team, and Phillips is his #1 guy in that department. It's simply a philosophy of Baker's, and it's not a formula for success or failure. It's just Baker's formula. LaRussa plays the same way.)

Griffey012
06-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Another interesting thing about Phillips is that he's by far the best base-runner on the team even though he's been picked off 3 times this year.

He's 7th in the National League in "Bases Taken", which includes bases advanced on fly balls, passed balls, wild pitches, balks, and defensive indifference. The next RED is ranked 24th (Cabrera and Votto). Votto is 2nd worst in the National League in "Outs while making a base-running play". (Rolen is 7th) (The REDS are 4th worst in the NL, but they're a very aggressive base-running team and it's paid off more than it hasn't. Baker is constantly putting pressure the entire game on the opposing team, and Phillips is his #1 guy in that department. It's simply a philosophy of Baker's, and it's not a formula for success or failure. It's just Baker's formula. LaRussa plays the same way.)

I imagine all in all, those extra bases we have taken have been way more valuable than the extra outs that have occurred. As it seems I recall numerous time we take extra bases, but it seems like the m"ajority of outs while making a base-running play" are bonehead mistakes like getting picked off.

Vottomatic
06-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Phillips rankings:

Who could possibly complain about that production?

bounty37h
06-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Really? I've never heard this. I'd be interested in seeing the etymology of the phrase.

I havent either

bounty37h
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM

I think the poster of that was/is confused in interpretation. I have never heard the actual term used as racist or considered racist, but you do hear a lot of peole talk about hotdogging type of actions/play as a racist issue. For example, in football they have tried to kill post TD celebrations; many blacks felt that was racist as they say they are the ones celebrating in that fashion more and are being targeted. I dont know that I am right here, but just a guess what the poster was saying?

bounty37h
06-15-2010, 11:00 AM
While I agree that BP's throw didn't have much power behind it, I really thought the trouble started when OCab had a hard time getting the ball out of his glove and slowly flipped it to Phillips. That hesitation cost them a step.

That was my take on that play as well. Goes back to what I tell my kids (that I work with, nto my own-dont have any)though....What you have done in past defines how people look at you in present. If BPhil (and I love him as a player) hustled all the time, no one would question this play, but his past lack of hustle at times makes it a legit question by OP of this one.

bounty37h
06-15-2010, 11:08 AM
"Hot Dogging it" is a racial slur? You have to be f*****g kidding, right? I have not heard the term "Hot Dogging it" in 10 years before this thread

The man had cloths (and shoes) made that were labeled "The Franchise", he ***** and whined that Josh Hamilton was getting too much press and was taking the spotlight away from him

He is a good player (streaky, but good) but he is no where near as good as he thinks he is

True, but I also want to point out positives. He was the only player I saw at an exhibition game last year that stayed and signed for fans-that means a lot IMO. He also returned a couple signed pics to me in a very short time this spring training. I can overlook some of the "me-me's" he has as long as he is also fan friendly and approchable as a person-so many players arent anymore.