PDA

View Full Version : One good reason why we don't resign Jonny Gomes

BuckWild03
06-12-2010, 10:23 PM
For the money, I can't name a more productive player in baseball right now. Jonny is simply getting it done. How can we not resign him?

big boy
06-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Don't worry, Buck...there is a club option for 2011 which will likely be picked up.

goreds2
06-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Wouldn't he be interesting in the All-Star game homerun hitting contest? ;)

NeilHamburger
06-13-2010, 12:07 AM
yeah, Gomes has to be kicking himself. Next year the Reds can get him for 1.7 million if they want.

BigPoppa
06-13-2010, 12:27 AM
yeah, Gomes has to be kicking himself. Next year the Reds can get him for 1.7 million if they want.

Most guys.....I'd agree with you. But with Gomes, I believe the guy is genuinely happy with just getting to play, being part of a winning club, having fun, making a good living, and getting a little respect.

Vottomatic
06-13-2010, 08:09 AM
I think all of the Reds players feel that way.

ThornWithin81
06-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah, Gomes does not strike me as the kind of person who complains about only making 1.7 million dollars in a given year.

It is part of the reason I like him so much as a player. He's a real ballplayer.

Griffey012
06-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Most guys.....I'd agree with you. But with Gomes, I believe the guy is genuinely happy with just getting to play, being part of a winning club, having fun, making a good living, and getting a little respect.

This is why it is so fun to watch him succeed. Might have to find me a Gomes jersey soon.

Kingspoint
06-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Chris Heisey, Drew Stubbs, Jay Bruce.

shan12stones
06-15-2010, 03:19 AM
gomes is a nice guy meet him 3 or 4 times.i had my picture taken with him.

bounty37h
06-15-2010, 02:47 PM

Not to mention 5 months ago he was wondering if he would play pro ball anywhere for any money.

Vottomatic
06-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Fun with Jonny Gomes:

YouTube - Jonny Gomes shake that booty at Wrigley Field. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvuhecBGeFE)

COM2010
06-15-2010, 10:22 PM
bunch of drunken fools. If I was Gomes and those weren't Reds fans yelling that, and there wasn't a fence there I'd fly off the handle against that stupid dude leading the "left..right...left" chant, probably send the next ball I caught (with no men on base, of course) right at his noggin. Johnny has more patience for those type of folks than I do. :rolleyes:

bounty37h
06-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Fun with Jonny Gomes:

YouTube - Jonny Gomes shake that booty at Wrigley Field. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvuhecBGeFE)

Why did I watch that hoping to see the guy yelling fall over the fence and split his head open a lil bit....yes, I know, overkill.

redhat
06-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Wouldn't he be interesting in the All-Star game homerun hitting contest?
You should never want your own players in the home run derby. Trying to hit homers will mess up your swing for a month.

bshall2105
06-16-2010, 07:42 PM
You should never want your own players in the home run derby. Trying to hit homers will mess up your swing for a month.

Yes, but Gomes swings like he's trying to hit a homerun until he gets two strikes on him, so I doubt that would be much of a problem.

BuckWild03
06-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Wouldn't he be interesting in the All-Star game homerun hitting contest? ;)

It would take forever with him tightening his batting gloves and adjusting his helmet after every swing.

Billy Bates
07-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I thought I'd bump this because in the ORG there are a couple of threads calling for Gomes' benching. While I do agree that Heisey needs a little more PT spelling Gomes/Bruce/Stubbs to give an occasional day off, and Gomes has cooled off after a hot May, Gomes is still:

3rd on the team in RBI's

Hitting .415 with RISP

Hitting .486 with RISP and 2 outs

Why would you not want this guy in the lineup everyday?

GIDP
07-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Because he isnt very good in the field and has been a .700 OPS bat other than May where he hit .364

I wouldnt bench Gomes but I'd be looking to Hesiey a lot more then they currently are. Gomes has been good for the most part but hes also been bad for the most part if you look inside the numbers a little bit.

Fon Duc Tow
07-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Corky Miller has a higher BA than Gomes right now.

BuckWild03
07-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Corky Miller has a higher BA than Gomes right now.

Since when? Corky is batting .188 (and that's above his career average). Gomes is batting .280.

Billy Bates
07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Corky Miller is batting .188 right now, nowhere near Gomes' .280.

And the May stats count the same as April/June/July. You can't just throw them out.

Yeah, Gomes has his blemishes, but he has been producing situationally when there are RISP and the Reds need runs (especially with 2 outs). Anyone who has watched Gomes knows he's streaky, and he'll get hot again at some point in the season. I want to see Heisey get some more PT too, but I think a lot of this Gomes bashing is a bit excessive.

GIDP
07-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Corky Miller is batting .188 right now, nowhere near Gomes' .280.

And the May stats count the same as April/June/July. You can't just throw them out.

Yeah, Gomes has his blemishes, but he has been producing situationally when there are RISP and the Reds need runs (especially with 2 outs). Anyone who has watched Gomes knows he's streaky, and he'll get hot again at some point in the season. I want to see Heisey get some more PT too, but I think a lot of this Gomes bashing is a bit excessive.
Are you trying to suggest that if a guy hit 20 homers in 1 month then didnt hit another for the rest of the year he should continue to play because of what he did in 1 month?

Of course the stats count, but it shouldn't be at least looked at and used as a reason to be cautious. Should Gomes be benched for 2.5 months of below average production at the plate? Not completely, but should the Reds look at maybe pushing him out of the line up a little more often? Surely. It would probably be dumb if they didnt.

texasdave
07-08-2010, 02:38 PM
OCab should be seeing a little more pine time. But that is a whole nother story as they say.

texasdave
07-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I like a set lineup as much as the next guy, but I am not married to the status quo. If you can make a team better, by all means do it.

bigred97
07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I like Gomes and he is having a good year, but Heisey is the future and has a ton more upside.

GIDP
07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I like a set lineup as much as the next guy, but I am not married to the status quo. If you can make a team better, by all means do it.

Exactly. They should probably mix in Heisey, and Janish more often. Gomes coming off the bench isnt exactly a bad thing especially when you can pick the spot. I dont care if Gomes and Cabrera start a large large majority of the time but there is little debate they couldn't afford some more off time.

redssince75
07-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I always have a tough time distinguishing between "re-sign" (sign again) and "re-zine" (get him to quit) when I see resign in print. I guess for this thread the confusion is appropriate.

Anyway, if żou want to work Heisey in, I'd rather platoon him with Stubbs than with Gomes. Talk about hot and cold, I am completely not sold on Stubbs.

DaytonFlyer
07-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Heisey needs more PT period, and I like the idea they had in the ORG that he should rotate giving days off to Gomes, Stubbs, and Bruce and be getting 3 starts a week or more.

That would leave Nix to get Janish-like PT, but that's fine with me.

Kiss the Baby00
07-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Heisey should be starting. but over stubbs not gomes.

GIDP
07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Heisey should be starting. but over stubbs not gomes.

Stubbs: .723 OPS
Gomes: .807 OPS

Now figure in the position and I cant really see why anyone would want to bench Stubbs over Gomes. Of the 3 OF Gomes is easily the least valuable.

Billy Bates
07-08-2010, 04:13 PM
You're taking a distorted view on this with the 20 HR's in a month - he was better in May than the rest of the year, but overall his numbers are good. I have no problem with Heisey getting some extra PT at the expense of Stubbs/Gomes, but there's no way Gomes should be riding the pine extensively. Look at his splits with RISP - he's been clutch all year in this department

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?playerID=430404&statType=1&splitSet=1&c_id=cin&sitSplit1=rsp

GIDP
07-08-2010, 04:16 PM
You're taking a distorted view on this with the 20 HR's in a month - he was better in May than the rest of the year, but overall his numbers are good. I have no problem with Heisey getting some extra PT at the expense of Stubbs/Gomes, but there's no way Gomes should be riding the pine extensively. Look at his splits with RISP - he's been clutch all year in this department

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?playerID=430404&statType=1&splitSet=1&c_id=cin&sitSplit1=rsp
His overall numbers are good, but in every month but may they have been bad. Like I said if a guy hit 20 homers in a month and doesnt hit any more should he continue to play? Gomes had a huge month, hasnt done much the rest of the time. Not saying he should be benched or ride the pine, but he shouldnt be on a big rope.

Billy Bates
07-08-2010, 04:25 PM
I guess we agree to disagree. Did you look at the link? Here is Gomes OPS with RISP (51 of his 56 RBI have come in this fashion):

April: 1.032
May: 1.472
June: 1.258
July: 1.250
Overall: 1.283

Here are Votto's splits by comparison

April: .878
May: 1.494
June: .875
July: .400 (throw out due to small sample size)

Gomes has been absolutely raking at the plate when the Reds get runners on in front of him

GIDP
07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
But there is also the part where he isnt getting on base for people behind him.

Kiss the Baby00
07-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Stubbs: .723 OPS
Gomes: .807 OPS

Now figure in the position and I cant really see why anyone would want to bench Stubbs over Gomes. Of the 3 OF Gomes is easily the least valuable.

you use stats to prove your point yet completely disregard them? I say stubbs( the guy with the lower OPS) should sit you say gomes who has the higher OPS which u jsut posted should sit. :confused:

gomes is one of the best batters in the league in clutch rbi situations. nothing stubbs has done in the minors or majors suggest he will be more than .250 hitter w good speed ala willy T. seems like an ideal 9 hole hitter in the AL. u hear me seattle?

GIDP
07-08-2010, 05:54 PM
you use stats to prove your point yet completely disregard them? I say stubbs( the guy with the lower OPS) should sit you say gomes who has the higher OPS which u jsut posted should sit. :confused:

gomes is one of the best batters in the league in clutch rbi situations. nothing stubbs has done in the minors or majors suggest he will be more than .250 hitter w good speed ala willy T. seems like an ideal 9 hole hitter in the AL. u hear me seattle?

How did I ignore them? The best OPS isnt always the best player. Stubbs blows Gomes away on D, and isnt being blown away by Gomes at the plate.

Comparing Stubbs to Willy T is ignoring the stats. Willy T has had one season with an OPS over .700 and that was a year he .367...

Stubbs is the better player, Heisey, Stubbs, Bruce is going to be the better producing out field over Gomes, Hesiey, Bruce. Defense matters.

Kiss the Baby00
07-08-2010, 06:02 PM
How did I ignore them? The best OPS isnt always the best player. Stubbs blows Gomes away on D, and isnt being blown away by Gomes at the plate.

Comparing Stubbs to Willy T is ignoring the stats. Willy T has had one season with an OPS over .700 and that was a year he .367...

Stubbs is the better player, Heisey, Stubbs, Bruce is going to be the better producing out field over Gomes, Hesiey, Bruce. Defense matters.

stubbs obv blows gomes away on D. but so would willy T.

gomes and bruce are about even with the edge to bruce bc of his D and arm. both are heads and shoulders better than 2010 drew stubbs. im not sure where u get this stubbs is a better player than gomes and ignore the stats, that doesnt even make sense. Gomes has better numbers but stubbs is a better player? lol wat? Stubbs isnt great at D. ask ryan howard and the centerfield wall what he thinks about stubbs D.

we jsut think stubbs is so aweosme at D bc our announcers are always like ZOMG DREW STUBBS IS SOOOO FAST.

its not like gomes is batting 8th hitting .235. he is our 5 hitter and one of the top batters in the league w RISP. its like you ignore all the stats that disprove your argument. look at stubbs career minor league numbers. nothing is there to suggest he will magically hit .300. stubbs strikes out more than anyone on the team yet you have this false notion that stubbs is a great player for no reason at all.

GIDP
07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
stubbs obv blows gomes away on D. but so would willy T.

gomes and bruce are about even with the edge to bruce bc of his D and arm. both are heads and shoulders better than 2010 drew stubbs. im not sure where u get this stubbs is a better player than gomes and ignore the stats, that doesnt even make sense. Gomes has better numbers but stubbs is a better player? lol wat? Stubbs isnt great at D. ask ryan howard and the centerfield wall what he thinks about stubbs D.

we jsut think stubbs is so aweosme at D bc our announcers are always like ZOMG DREW STUBBS IS SOOOO FAST.

its not like gomes is batting 8th hitting .235. he is our 5 hitter and one of the top batters in the league w RISP. its like you ignore all the stats that disprove your argument. look at stubbs career minor league numbers. nothing is there to suggest he will magically hit .300. stubbs strikes out more than anyone on the team yet you have this false notion that stubbs is a great player for no reason at all.

It's been good discussing this with you.

Kiss the Baby00
07-08-2010, 06:04 PM
It's been good discussing this with you.

conceding defeat?

Gomes >Heisey>Stubbs

GIDP
07-08-2010, 06:05 PM
conceding defeat?

Gomes >Heisey>Stubbs

If thats how you want to take it fine.

redssince75
07-08-2010, 06:06 PM
If thats how you want to take it fine.

That's how I see it too.

But as a Reds fan, it's good to have this problem and not arguing merely about who sucks the worst. They're all pretty good.

texasdave
07-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Fangraphs seems to value Stubbs more than Gomes, FWIW.

1990REDS
07-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Gomes is having a great year but Stubbs is the future. I must say the thought of bruce stubbs and hiesy patroling the outfield at GABP for the next decade gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. its a good time to be a reds fan.

DaytonFlyer
07-09-2010, 08:49 AM
And the game after this thread starts, Nix makes a start. :rolleyes: