PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Rhodes

double21d
06-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Why was Arthur Rhodes in last night's game. The Reds had a 6 run lead and Rhodes is pitching in the 7th? Wouldn't this have been a perfect time to rest the 40 year old pitcher? It is more likely that the guy is going to be needed today (Sunday).
Dusty talks about burning him out/overusing him and then he goes and adds another unnecessary inning to his arm. He got out of it quickly but he easily could have had the day off.

Reds
06-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Don't know why he was pitched. BUT according to game notes: Reds reliever Arthur Rhodes, who worked a scoreless seventh, has a career-high 26-inning scoreless streak. The longest by a Red reliever since John Franco in 1988.

bgwilly31
06-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Why was Arthur Rhodes in last night's game. The Reds had a 6 run lead and Rhodes is pitching in the 7th? Wouldn't this have been a perfect time to rest the 40 year old pitcher? It is more likely that the guy is going to be needed today (Sunday).
Dusty talks about burning him out/overusing him and then he goes and adds another unnecessary inning to his arm. He got out of it quickly but he easily could have had the day off.

I said the same thing at the game last night. I couldnt believe my eyes arthur rhodes coming in the game.

perfect situation for DRH or anybody besides rhodes.

He threw masset as well. lol

davereds24
06-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I said the same thing, and he threw a lot of pitches so Dusty probably doesn't want to use him for more than a batter or two today. Completely dumb IMO.

Orodle
06-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I didnt even watch the game but caught the boxscore and thought the same thing.

Vottomatic
06-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Another head scratcher.

Reds
06-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Dusty - "They're a big-inning, rally team, and they had some big-inning rally guys coming up there," Baker said. "It doesn't always work where he's in the eighth or whatever. Sometimes the inning of decision is in the seventh. They had the top of the lineup and all the lefties coming up in that inning."

bgwilly31
06-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Dusty - "They're a big-inning, rally team, and they had some big-inning rally guys coming up there," Baker said. "It doesn't always work where he's in the eighth or whatever. Sometimes the inning of decision is in the seventh. They had the top of the lineup and all the lefties coming up in that inning."

we had a 6 run lead.

Good god dusty is a moron.

kfm
06-13-2010, 04:39 PM
we had a 6 run lead.

Good god dusty is a moron.

I actually agree with you for a change, not on your name calling of Dusty but questioning why he was used. I think it was not a good idea to use him in that situation at all. But based upon his quotes, it is pretty easy to understand, even if we disagree, with why he was used. Dusty does not have faith in the rest of the bullpen it is that plain and simple, and knowing that Grienke was going the next day and that they had already lost on friday, he decided they had to win that game and he used his big gun for the situation he was most concerned about. La Russa also does this from time to time. He seems to manage every game even with big leagues as if it is game seven of the world series.

kfm
06-13-2010, 04:41 PM
I said the same thing at the game last night. I couldnt believe my eyes arthur rhodes coming in the game.

perfect situation for DRH or anybody besides rhodes.

He threw masset as well. lol

As far as Masset goes, what are you saving him for? He is terrible, and needs to pitch more in low pressure situaions to see if he can get his head on straight.

texasdave
06-13-2010, 04:59 PM
He sends LeCure back out there in the 7th at 108 pitches, but the day before he pulls Cueto after the 6th at 109 pitches. If he doesn't trust his middle relievers why didn't he send Cueto back out in the 7th? Is 108 pitches the cutoff? After the second inning Cueto had pitched well. So he uses Rhodes with a six-run lead and he is forced to send DRH and company out there in a one-run ball game and it quickly gets out of hand. That, my friends, is managing.

kfm
06-13-2010, 05:34 PM
He sends LeCure back out there in the 7th at 108 pitches, but the day before he pulls Cueto after the 6th at 109 pitches. If he doesn't trust his middle relievers why didn't he send Cueto back out in the 7th? Is 108 pitches the cutoff? After the second inning Cueto had pitched well. So he uses Rhodes with a six-run lead and he is forced to send DRH and company out there in a one-run ball game and it quickly gets out of hand. That, my friends, is managing.

Maybe just maybe Cueto was gassed after 109 pitches and Lecure was not today. Maybe on some days Cueto is gassed at 120 and somedays he is gassed at 95. I hardly think it is a good idea to argue that since one pitcher was taken out after x number of pitches in one situation than that its the way all pitchers regardless of the situation and how they feel or don't feel have to be handled the exact same way. You do get that these pitchers are individuals. I know you know that there are days when Arroyo can throw 120 and not be tired and other days when he has thrown the same number or even fewer pitches he has nothing left. Not to even mention what Dusty just watched KC do to his starters. KC had a five run inning against one starter and scored 5 runs in two innings against the other. As I said, I did not agree with the move, but I completely understood it. Are you arguing that Dusty should trust the bullpen? Should I put you down as one who actually trust the reds Relief core?

BigJohn
06-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Dude,is 40 years old you know! LOL,He throws the ball in the 90s, and can throw every day, I am not too worried about how old he is really!