PDA

View Full Version : Phillips to have MRI

reds44
06-13-2010, 08:45 PM
This does not sound good:

Second baseman Brandon Phillips (hamstring) said after today’s 7-3 loss to Kansas City that he will have an MRI on Monday. The Reds are off Monday.

“To tell you the truth, I don’t know what else to say,” Phillips said.

“Certainly you can’t afford to lose Brandon for 10 days to two weeks,” manager Dusty Baker said after the game. “Hopefully having an off-day helps, too.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/13/phillips-to-have-mri/

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Losing Phillips would be a huge blow.

fearofpopvol1
06-13-2010, 08:52 PM
That is not good news for the Reds.

Maybe it's time to call up Chris V? He is not Phillips, but he is having a good year in Louisville. If not he, then Sutton one would think.

jojo
06-13-2010, 09:02 PM
All in all not the best of weekends...

TheNext44
06-13-2010, 09:06 PM
This will test how much depth the Reds really have. They got lucky with Cairo having a career week when Votto was hurt. Let's hope someone else can get lucky this week.

I'm hoping it's Valaika. He seems ready and has paid his dues. He also might be the Reds 2B next year, no matter how healthy Phillips is.

alexad
06-13-2010, 09:11 PM
After watching the future infielders of the Reds Organization when the Bats visited Columbus (I watched a doubleheader). I hope Phillips is alright or there is something at AA. I was not impressed with the glove work of Valaika. Just my opinion.

11larkin11
06-13-2010, 09:33 PM
I could see Valaika, but my vote is for Sutton. He was great in his one game up here, he was decent last year, and he tore the cover off the ball in AAA so far.

Ghosts of 1990
06-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Wish Frazier was worth something.

HeatherC1212
06-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Hopefully that's just precautionary to make sure nothing else is wrong with his calf and the two days off help him out enough to avoid the DL.

Hasn't Sutton been hitting well at Louisville? He wasn't too bad when he was up here last so he could be a good option if we do need some help here. Janish could play 2nd if it's a short wouldn't be able to have as many days off if we lose Brandon for too long. :eek:

GOYA
06-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Valaika is fine at 2B. Not spectacular, but solid. When you get used to Phillips or Janish, average seems pretty weak. But he has the bat more than anyone else you might consider. Except Sutton, maybe. But Valaika's glove is better than Sutton.

dfs
06-13-2010, 11:02 PM
MRI for a hamstring.....that's not good.

marcshoe
06-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I'd like to see Valaika up if Phillips goes to the DL. Man, this would hurt, though.

SirFelixCat
06-13-2010, 11:35 PM
MRI for a hamstring.....that's not good.

Seriously.
:pray:

TheNext44
06-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Hamstring for a guy like Phillips is like elbow or shoulder for a pitcher. Even with the Reds in a pennant race, I really hope they let him heal and don't rush him back.

Ron Madden
06-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Let's hope and pray it turns out to be nothing major.

Mario-Rijo
06-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Why in the world did he or they allow this to linger so long, what's it been 2 weeks since he pulled up lame?

BRM
06-14-2010, 09:47 AM
I'd like to see Valaika up if Phillips goes to the DL. Man, this would hurt, though.

He may come up but I doubt he'll play. Cairo will probably get the bulk of the starts if BP is out.

edabbs44
06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
He may come up but I doubt he'll play. Cairo will probably get the bulk of the starts if BP is out.

I think Janish, no?

BRM
06-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I think Janish, no?

Maybe. I think Dusty trusts Cairo more.

Sea Ray
06-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Seems to me this Phillips thing is pretty simple, MRI or not. He needs to rest until this knot in his leg goes away. We'll have to rely on the Dr's judgement as to how long that'll take. I doubt the MRI will reveal any grand visions here

Degenerate39
06-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd really like to see Valakia up. Send down Cairo or something. Valakia can play all the infield positions I believe

KoryMac5
06-14-2010, 10:39 AM
The MRI is troubling due to the fact that the hammie is not responding to treatment. I would imagine Sutton gets the call due to his flexibility in being able to play multiple positions.

Hoosier Red
06-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Why in the world did he or they allow this to linger so long, what's it been 2 weeks since he pulled up lame?

The Reds training staff takes a lot of abuse here(and I know that's not where you were headed,) but this goes back to the Votto thread that was run off the tracks.
You want guys who will do everything they can to play but who are not so hard headed to cause further damage.
With a muscle, unless there's a tear or a rupture, a training staff can only do what the player tells them. I'm guessing it was sore every game, Brandon got into the hot tub and it felt better.
And every player probably feels sore every day. How a player can determine between hurting because it's June and hurting because it's getting worse is impossible.

I have started running, and if I stopped every time I felt any soreness the next day, I'd run maybe once or twice a month. Most of the time, you start running, the muscles loosen up and you feel well enough to get through the workout.

Now imagine I'm being paid millions of dollars to perform, and I'm finally getting the positive attention I've felt like I always deserved, and I have a 15 game hitting streak, and I can really go ahead and play. I'd probably tell the training staff I was fine too.

Sea Ray
06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
The MRI is troubling due to the fact that the hammie is not responding to treatment. I would imagine Sutton gets the call due to his flexibility in being able to play multiple positions.

We'll see what the MRI says but I don't find it troubling that it won't respond to treatment. If he plays on it every night then it won't go away no matter what. The main treatment they haven't tried yet is rest

Ghosts of 1990
06-14-2010, 03:04 PM
We'll see what the MRI says but I don't find it troubling that it won't respond to treatment. If he plays on it every night then it won't go away no matter what. The main treatment they haven't tried yet is rest

RICE

Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

With Rest from my past experiences being the most important.

Redsfan320
06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
RICE

Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

LOL. I remember that one from health class.

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Update from John Fay:

“I probably won’t today,” he said. “I would have if it was anything serious,” Jocketty said. “Talking to (Dr. Tim) Kremchek, he thought (Phillips) will be ready in the next day or two. He got treatment today. It was more like a knot.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/14/no-news-is-good-news-on-phillips/

kbrake
06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Well that makes me feel a little bit better.

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2010, 04:10 PM
That is great news if it's something minor that will just keep him out a day or two. It will suck for the Dodgers series though. Reds are going to need all the offense they can get.

Let's just hope that estimate is not overly optimistic and we're discussing what is wrong with Phillips a week from now.

SirFelixCat
06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Whew.

REDSEER
06-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I had a similar (probably not as severe) cramping situation to Phillips earlier this year. My hamstrings cramped up pretty badly after a game. We had a game the next day and no matter how much I stretched, I couldn't get that hammy loose, severely hindering my ability to run. When I sprinted it almost felt like I was about to pull up lame. It bothered me until I got about 2-3 days of rest in a row. It pretty much went away after that.

I'm sure BP's case is a bit more severe if it kept him out of a game, but when I read "it was more like a knot" it reminded me of my situation about a month ago. Hopefully the two days of rest and treatment will be good for it. We will need all of the offense that we can get against the Dodgers.

Chip R
06-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Hopefully they can untie that knot.

REDblooded
06-14-2010, 05:09 PM
w00t

RFS62
06-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Update from John Fay:

“I probably won’t today,” he said. “I would have if it was anything serious,” Jocketty said. “Talking to (Dr. Tim) Kremchek, he thought (Phillips) will be ready in the next day or two. He got treatment today. It was more like a knot.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/14/no-news-is-good-news-on-phillips/

So... Doc K applied a tourniquet?

VR
06-14-2010, 06:29 PM
I've heard this before.

Only a knot, day to day.

I'm guessing he'll be in the lineup by July 20th. :)

WebScorpion
06-14-2010, 08:28 PM
The MRI is to tell if it's just a knot, as they say, or a partial tear. I've seen a teammates hamstring with a partial tear and it looked like a big lump...of course, it also had a sort of blank area where there used to be muscle but his was pretty serious. This sounds like Kremchek has determined that it's not torn. :thumbup:

Ron Madden
06-15-2010, 02:33 AM
We've all heard optimistic prognosis from Doc K before, let's just hope for the best.

BRM
06-15-2010, 09:15 AM
I've heard this before.

Only a knot, day to day.

I'm guessing he'll be in the lineup by July 20th. :)

No kidding. I hate to be a negative nelly but I'll believe it when I see BP's name on the lineup card.

Sea Ray
06-15-2010, 11:41 AM
I think they ought to rest Phillips until Seattle. I'd sure like to have a healthy Phillips as we will likely see a couple lefties

OnBaseMachine
06-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Phillips is IN the lineup tonight. Awesome.

Sea Ray
06-15-2010, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't say awesome. This means he's playing through it. Don't think for a moment that Doc put his snake oil on it and now it's gone

OnBaseMachine
06-15-2010, 04:12 PM
From Jim Day:

Phillips is back, says leg will bother him the rest of the season but wants to play through it because the team is in 1st place #reds

http://twitter.com/JimDayTV

Roy Tucker
06-15-2010, 04:17 PM
So... Doc K applied a tourniquet?

Leeches work better. ;)

Reds Fanatic
06-15-2010, 04:20 PM
This is from John Fay:

Brandon Phillips told reporters that the MRI showed a mild right hamstring strain. He said he has played with worse.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/15/phillips-update/

Sea Ray
06-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Just like with Homer they should force him to sit down. You don't let the player control these things

Blitz Dorsey
06-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Uh oh, I hope this isn't one of Dr. Kremhack's specials: "Yeah, he's fine, no DL needed." (One week later when player is placed on DL.) "Oh, we didn't see that on the original MRI, but it must have been there."

Spitball
06-15-2010, 05:06 PM
I injured my hamstring a few years ago while playing softball. The whole back of my upper leg turned dark purple. I never went to the doctor and played through it the rest of the season. Breaking out of the batter's box was tricky, but it was on defense that my game really suffered. I simply couldn't make those quick reactionary pushes off my injured leg.

Scrap Irony
06-15-2010, 05:13 PM
I don't like that he's trying to "tough it out", but he was able to tough out his broken thumb last season, so he's got a pretty decent ability to play with pain.

I'd expect his numbers to come back to earth fairly quickly, though.

RichRed
06-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Any time I see the phrase "play through it," I get a little queasy. Hope I'm just being paranoid.

Edskin
I injured my hamstring a few years ago while playing softball. The whole back of my upper leg turned dark purple. I never went to the doctor and played through it the rest of the season. Breaking out of the batter's box was tricky, but it was on defense that my game really suffered. I simply couldn't make those quick reactionary pushes off my injured leg.

Ugh, sounds like you're "that softball guy" that hustles, tries to break up double plays, etc.... I HATE those guys :D

The Operator
Oh man. I'm having flashbacks of Junior's days here.

Oh how I loathe hamstring injuries.

fearofpopvol1
06-15-2010, 05:39 PM
I'd like to see him sit at least a couple more games. But I guess if he he is set on playing and it's not going to be any better tomorrow than it is today, go for it I say.

You gotta love BP's dedication and desire to win (something he often is criticized for).

RedsManRick
06-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, if it's one of those things that simply isn't going to heal without weeks of rest and where the only risk is worsening it a bit, it seems like playing through it is probably the best option. No need to purposefully take him out of option for a significant amount of time if that's the downside risk of playing him anyways.

Spitball
06-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Ugh, sounds like you're "that softball guy" that hustles, tries to break up double plays, etc.... I HATE those guys :D

You should see me sprint to first on a walk...;)