PDA

View Full Version : Reds looking to Louisville and beyond for relief

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2010, 04:11 PM
From John Fay:

Walt Jocketty said the club will look at moving left-handers Travis Wood and Matt Maloney to the bullpen in an effort to help the struggling relief corps.

A trade is a possibility as well.

“We’re looking internally and outside,” Jocketty said. “We haven’t come to any conclusion. But we’re trying to determine which way to go in the next day or two.”

Left-hander Aroldis Chapman is still being looked at strictly as a starter.

to read more:
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/14/reds-looking-to-louisville-and-beyond-for-relief/

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Hasn't RZ been clamoring for this for a while now? Maybe Jocketty is reading here.

I think I would keep Wood as a starter though. I think he actually has value in a trade as a starter and he has pitched very well recently.

IslandRed
06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I think I would keep Wood as a starter though. I think he actually has value in a trade as a starter and he has pitched very well recently.

I wouldn't be opposed to Wood breaking into the majors in relief, unless they think they'll need him in the rotation shortly. That changeup of his could be really effective in limited exposure, and he's built up to go multi-inning stretches. Not the worst idea I've ever heard.

Chip R
06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
I know they are looking at Chapman as a starter but I'd like to see the Reds bring him up as a reliever this year to begin with. I know his control isn't great but it can't be much worse than DRH and some of the other relievers. Plus he misses bats.

icehole3
06-14-2010, 06:25 PM
I agree with Chip, put him in the pen, just get him up to the big club, put them all in the pen, Ive seen enough of Masset

Superdude
06-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Would love to see Wood in the bullpen. I think his stuff would tick up noticeably, and him and Lecure could eat up some major innings in middle relief when Volquez or Homer gets back.

mth123
06-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Wood is a little guy. Probably better off in the pen from a health and stamina standpoint.

Ron Madden
06-15-2010, 02:49 AM
Would love to see Wood in the bullpen. I think his stuff would tick up noticeably, and him and Lecure could eat up some major innings in middle relief when Volquez or Homer gets back.

I'm probably speaking too soon but right now I'd rather see LeCure start and let Homer pitch out of the pen.

Mario-Rijo
06-15-2010, 03:05 AM
I'm probably speaking too soon but right now I'd rather see Lecure start and let Homer pitch out of the pen.

I don't know I would much rather see Homer only effect 1 out of 5 games right now. And I think Lecures game is better suited to the pen than starting. Right now I'd probably bring up Maloney and Wood (assuming Burton and Bray aren't ready who I prefer to see) sending down Herrera and Ondrusek. Stick LeCure in the pen with Wood and let Maloney start.

Ron Madden
06-15-2010, 03:10 AM
I don't know I would much rather see Homer only effect 1 out of 5 games right now. And I think Lecures game is better suited to the pen than starting. Right now I'd probably bring up Maloney and Wood (assuming Burton and Bray aren't ready who I prefer to see) sending down Herrera and Ondrusek. Stick LeCure in the pen with Wood and let Maloney start.

You may be right.

All I'm sayin' is we've seen LeCure get in trouble and work his way out, we've seen Homer get in trouble and throw gas on the fire.

I'm most likely speaking too soon though, small sample size and all.