PDA

View Full Version : "Touchdown Jesus" Destroyed by Fire

HeatherC1212
06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I don't know how many other people here had seen that statue of Jesus at the Solid Rock Church in Monroe (just north of Cincy) but it apparently got struck by lightening last night around 11:15 PM. The crews got there too late and couldn't save it and now it's completely burned to the ground except for the metal frame. This has apparently made national news along with our local news and honestly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner since the thing seemed to be a lightening rod waiting to happen being so tall and sitting in a somewhat flat area.

Here's a couple of links that have some photos and more about the story although you can find this news on just about every site now. I didn't realize this would be such a big story! :eek: I'm glad no one was hurt at the church and that there's no damage to the actual church. There's supposed to be a press conference of some sort around 10 AM today so I guess they'll talk about the damage and their future plans there.

Link: http://www.wlwt.com/news/23900484/detail.html

Yahoo Story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lightning_strikes_jesus_statue

redsfandan
06-15-2010, 09:08 AM
YouTube - Touchdown Jesus Struck By Lightning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9UUw2Qkr94)
Apparently, ...

"The statue was constructed of wood and styrofoam over a steel framework that was anchored in concrete and covered with a fiberglass mat and resin exterior, according to the church. It was slated to undergo renovations this summer."
If that's what they used to build it then I'm kinda surprised that it lasted this long. A huge lightning rod covered with flammable material.

savafan
06-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Story has gone international, saw a report on a Bangkok, Thailand news site.

HeatherC1212
06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Here's a link to some images that News 5 has of everything that happened last night along with some images from this morning. Maybe they won't make it a total lightening rod this time when they rebuild it. :eek:

http://www.wlwt.com/slideshow/news/23900652/detail.html

Ghosts of 1990
06-15-2010, 10:30 AM
This is so symbolic, IMO.

The Operator
06-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Despite being a Christian, I was never too fond of that thing.

That being said, I hate that this happened to it. And that definitely was not the best combination of building materials to use for such a project. Like others, I'm almost surprised it lasted this long. Still very unfortunate, though.

GIDP
06-15-2010, 10:37 AM
It's just so wildly ironic, especially because of the Iconism.

HeatherC1212
06-15-2010, 10:39 AM

That being said, I hate that this happened to it. And that definitely was not the best combination of building materials to use for such a project. Like others, I'm almost surprised it lasted this long. Still very unfortunate, though.

I share that sentiment. I always thought the thing was slightly tacky and that a church should really use their financial resources for something more practical. I am sad that this happened to the church though and also surprised that it lasted this long.

Here's another article that talks more about the damage. It's estimated to be around $700,000 total. Apparently there was some sound equipment in that amphitheater behind the statue that was also destroyed which is probably what made that total much higher than I thought it would be.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_north_cincinnati/monroe/king-of-kings-statue-destroyed-by-fire

Reds Freak
06-15-2010, 11:37 AM
In memory of the statue (posted good-naturedly)...

YouTube - Big Butter Jesus by Heywood Banks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq01UYiMyHg)

Roy Tucker
06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
During last night's storms, we were watching the lightning from inside the garage. I made the comment that this is real wrath-of-God kind of stuff.

Chip R
06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Can you imagine someone going up/down 75 last night and seeing the statue on fire? How surreal would that be?

Blimpie
06-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Wow, I just saw the photos from the fire. That was no minor blaze...

That sucker went Hindenburg on us.

Johnny Footstool
06-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Wow, I just saw the photos from the fire. That was no minor blaze...

That sucker went Hindenburg on us.

Did you see the list of building materials they used? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some hydrogen tucked away somewhere in that thing.

Caveat Emperor
06-15-2010, 01:59 PM
During last night's storms, we were watching the lightning from inside the garage. I made the comment that this is real wrath-of-God kind of stuff.

I made a comment to a friend to the effect of "You can really understand why the Greeks thought this sort of stuff meant the gods were warring with one another."

AMAZING storm last night.

dabvu2498
06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Guarantee the build it back. Almost certain they'll build it back bigger.

I always thought the thing was slightly tacky and that a church should really use their financial resources for something more practical.

I've always found it ironic that many of the folks that attend the Bishop's church come from fairly low income backgrounds, and yet, don't seem to mind that the Bishop's church and home -- the LB (Lawrence Bishop) Ranch, located just south of SRC on the opposite side of the interstate -- are so ostentatious.

dabvu2498
06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Don't get me totally wrong, the Bishops and SRC do some great work in the community, especially with some of the special outreach projects they do.

But, yeah, I'd have a problem with my church spending $500k on a "look at me" piece of "art."

As if people weren't already looking at that massive building and monster sign anyway.

Fon Duc Tow
06-15-2010, 03:53 PM

Because I'm a Christian I was never too fond of that thing.

That whole place is wrong on so many levels.

Eric_the_Red
06-15-2010, 04:20 PM

QFT

Kingspoint
06-15-2010, 04:45 PM
"Let there be Light!"

Kingspoint
06-15-2010, 04:47 PM
But, yeah, I'd have a problem with my church spending $500k on a "look at me" piece of "art."

Especially when you think of how many elderly are eating dogfood for dinner (on the night's they get meat).

The Operator
06-15-2010, 05:24 PM

Oh I agree, I just didn't want to rub anyone the wrong way... For all I know there are Solid Rock members on here and I also didn't want to get borderline Peanut Gallery. But yes, I do agree with you.

I've always thought the neon lights were ridiculous as well.

reds44
06-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Awww I thought this was Notre Dame's version. Would have been much more funny.

LawFive
06-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Can you imagine someone going up/down 75 last night and seeing the statue on fire? How surreal would that be?

There's some really interesting give-and-take between the first people to call it in and the 911 dispatchers. You can find them for yourself on the various media sites...can't quote them here without pushing the thread over the line...

DirtyBaker
06-15-2010, 10:53 PM
My hope is that the church takes this as a sign.

MWM
06-16-2010, 08:29 AM
This was on the local news on TV last night here in Jacksonville. It was actually the promos they were showing throughout the evening to get you to stick around and watch the news.

Anyone find it ironic that the Solid Rock Church would build a Jesus made of styrafoam?

Roy Tucker
06-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Heard this new chorus of the Heywood Banks song "Big Butter Jesus" on the radio this AM. Pretty funny.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/comedian-updates-song-after-demise-of-big-butter-jesus-763582.html

savafan
06-16-2010, 09:12 AM
It's times like this when I miss hearing Gary Burbank on the radio.

Dom Heffner
06-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Don't get me totally wrong, the Bishops and SRC do some great work in the community, especially with some of the special outreach projects they do.

As if people weren't already looking at that massive building and monster sign anyway.

They've done a lot for the community-about a half million less than they could have done, apparently.

There are more important things, though, for these guys.

GIDP
06-16-2010, 10:25 AM
The Bishop said this in a story I read today

“I think he (Jesus) couldn’t have gotten this much advertising if we had paid a billion dollars,” she said Tuesday.

Tells me all I need to know about the character of the people who run the show out there.

PedroBourbon
06-16-2010, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=MWM;

Anyone find it ironic that the Solid Rock Church would build a Jesus made of styrafoam?[/QUOTE]

"Styrafoam Rock Church" didn't have that ring to it.

dabvu2498
06-16-2010, 10:45 AM
The Bishop said this in a story I read today

“I think he (Jesus) couldn’t have gotten this much advertising if we had paid a billion dollars,” she said Tuesday.

Tells me all I need to know about the character of the people who run the show out there.

I heard this one yesterday:

Darlene Bishop: "The 1st Jesus rose from the dead in 3 days. This one will take a little longer."

redsfandan
06-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Said 41-year-old Oxford resident Kimberly McAllister: “When I heard about it, my first thought was 'How am I going to find Monroe now?’ "

dabvu2498
06-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Said 41-year-old Oxford resident Kimberly McAllister: “When I heard about it, my first thought was 'How am I going to find Monroe now?’ "

The two monster flea markets should do the trick. And the Hustler store. And LCI/WCI.

And Joe Morgan Honda will be done soon.

Sea Ray
06-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Something about seeing that charred frame left over from the elaborate, gaudy statue reminds me of the "man behind the curtain scene" in the Wizard of Oz

dabvu2498
06-16-2010, 11:43 AM
It was inevitable, I guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Piece-burned-touchdown-Jesus-/120584274483?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c13620233

Yachtzee
06-16-2010, 01:09 PM
The two monster flea markets should do the trick. And the Hustler store. And LCI/WCI.

And Joe Morgan Honda will be done soon.

My aunt and uncle live down in Monroe. I'm surprised no one has hit on the symbolism that an Act of God took out Touchdown Jesus, but spared Larry Flynt's place.

Chip R
06-16-2010, 01:32 PM
My aunt and uncle live down in Monroe. I'm surprised no one has hit on the symbolism that an Act of God took out Touchdown Jesus, but spared Larry Flynt's place.

Perhaps because that's a subject best discussed in the Peanut Gallery.

savafan
06-16-2010, 03:46 PM

And it's been mentioned ad nauseum in the media.

westofyou
06-16-2010, 03:53 PM
And it's been mentioned ad nauseum in the media.

Don't they have the address for the peanut gallery?

Yachtzee
06-16-2010, 04:29 PM

Fair enough. Just thought of it as more of a humorous coincidence.

Reverend Doo-Rag
06-16-2010, 04:59 PM
=Originally Posted by dabvu2498

Especially when you think of how many elderly are eating dogfood for dinner (on the night's they get meat).

There are also lots of folks who feel that the money for GABP should have been given to poor people, too instead of for a "playground for millionaires"

westofyou
06-16-2010, 05:05 PM
There are also lots of folks who feel that the money for GABP should have been given to poor people, too instead of for a "playground for millionaires"

And that was passed by a vote, as opposed to being skimmed off of the tithing, so their point is valid, but moot.

Kingspoint
06-16-2010, 05:10 PM
I wonder if there was insurance for "an act of God"?

GIDP
06-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Thread lock incoming.

Reverend Doo-Rag
06-16-2010, 05:26 PM

Where does one get insurance for a 62 foot flammable lightning rod?
Last time I called State Farm about a insuring 6 story pile of styrofoam they just hung up on me.

BoydsOfSummer
06-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Drove past it twice going to Dayton today. I LOL'd both times. Looked in the rear view...I wasn't the only one.

I have a sneaky suspicion about that place.

redsfandan
06-16-2010, 06:41 PM
I didn't think there would be but maybe there was insurance:

The church's electronic sign had a simple message flashing Tuesday: "He'll Be Back".

"It will be back, but this time we are going to try for something fireproof," said church co-pastor Darlene Bishop.

Monday’s traffic-stopping fire struck just before the church was to begin repainting the statue. Because of insurance coverage, “Now we get to build a whole brand-new one, paid-for,” Bishop said. “We are blessed.”

I didn't think insurance policies paid out for damages caused by that sort of thing.

savafan
06-16-2010, 06:50 PM

Good reason. I recall a story in the Dayton Daily News years ago when I worked for them about the Bishops selling sick horses from their LB ranch. Can't find any links on that, but I did find these:

http://www.casewatch.org/civil/bishop/amended_complaint.shtml

http://judgerandyrodgers.yolasite.com/darlene-bishop.php

RBA
06-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Don't they have building codes in that area?

dabvu2498
06-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Allow most of your suspicions to be confirmed.

Slyder
06-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Good reason. I recall a story in the Dayton Daily News years ago when I worked for them about the Bishops selling sick horses from their LB ranch. Can't find any links on that, but I did find these:

Interesting.

JayBruceFan
06-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Figures, the Reds start playing well and Jesus gets struck by lightning.

The Operator
06-17-2010, 01:37 AM

You're tellin' me. There is something genuinely creepy about both Lawrence and Darlene Bishop.

I've also never liked those tacky commercials they run from time to time on cable. Again, it's their money... but they sure seem more concerned about being noticed than actually doing charitable work.

The neon lights, the commercials, the Bishops, Touchdown Jesus... oy vey. I better quit before I cross that thin Peanut Gallery line, if I haven't already.

reds44
06-17-2010, 02:04 AM
Figures, the Reds start playing well and Jesus gets struck by lightning.

LOL.

GAC
06-17-2010, 04:58 AM

I don't think the money came from the church funds, but was paid for by the Bishops out of their own pockets. At least that is what I was led to believe in the past.

But even as a Christian I was never too fond of it either. Even if it was from personal funds, it could have been better spent in other ways IMO.

It was built to be a "attention-getter", and that it was.

Kingspoint
06-17-2010, 06:49 PM
I don't think the money came from the church funds, but was paid for by the Bishops out of their own pockets.

If they make that much money, they get paid too much.

Dom Heffner
06-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I don't think the money came from the church funds, but was paid for by the Bishops out of their own pockets. At least that is what I was led to believe in the past.

But even as a Christian I was never too fond of it either. Even if it was from personal funds, it could have been better spent in other ways IMO.

It was built to be a "attention-getter", and that it was.

Bishops with $300,000....priceless. Wonder where they got all that money? ;)

Kingspoint
06-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Bishops with $300,000....priceless. Wonder where they got all that money? ;)

I should have gotten into the soul-saving business.

Red Heeler
06-18-2010, 01:47 AM

Lawrence Bishop made lots of money selling horses with problems to unsuspecting customers. He's been doing it for a long time. Most everybody involved with Quarter Horses in southern Ohio (most of Ohio, really) knows him. You would have to work pretty hard to find any of those folks with kind words.

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 03:48 AM
Lawrence Bishop made lots of money selling horses with problems to unsuspecting customers. He's been doing it for a long time. Most everybody involved with Quarter Horses in southern Ohio (most of Ohio, really) knows him. You would have to work pretty hard to find any of those folks with kind words.

Those are criminal offenses. I wonder how he got away with it having done it so many times?

GAC
06-18-2010, 05:30 AM
If they make that much money, they get paid too much.

Again... this is a wealthy couple to begin. They built their personal wealth by establishing and operating one of the most successful Quarter Horse ranches in the nation. The LB Ranch is home to many famous stallions and other championship horses. Horsemen come from across the United States and all over the world to buy quality horses.

According to his own personal testimony though, he found himself putting his family and God behind his business ventures, and knew that his priorities had to change. He re-committed his life to Christ, felt the call to ministry, and started this church in 1978 with twelve people meeting upstairs in a fire house on the west side of Middletown. As the church (congregation) grew they made the decision to use their wealth to help that church grow, and used their own personal fortune to build the current building, as well as that statue.

Now this country is filled with uber-wealthy people. And we see the "rich and the famous" spend their fortunes in sometimes very selfish and exorbitant ways to live that lifestyle. And that's fine! It's their money.

But when a wealthy Christian uses his money to not only build a church, but also a ministry that has expanded into numerous areas of community service, then a majority on here don't focus on that, but only on this huge statue of Jesus he built.

And I say that as a Christian who has differences of opinion as far as their Charismatic theology goes. But that is really not the point or issue here.

But I'll let the man upstairs be the final judge. ;)

redsfandan
06-18-2010, 07:27 AM

What those links show sounds shady and all but I think Darlene Bishop won one of those suits and the other one was dropped. So, I'd be more interested in this...

savafan
06-18-2010, 09:14 AM
What those links show sounds shady and all but I think Darlene Bishop won one of those suits and the other one was dropped. So, I'd be more interested in this...

Yeah, I recall a series of articles in the Dayton Daily News back in the late 90's, early 2000's about the horse dealings, but I haven't been able to find anything online yet.

Slyder
06-18-2010, 01:36 PM
She also got sued by her brother's kids after her brothers death. For claims that she instructed him to stop taking Chemo and to rely on a miracle. I don't know the outcome of the wrongful death part of it.

redsfandan
06-18-2010, 03:04 PM
She also got sued by her brother's kids after her brothers death. For claims that she instructed him to stop taking Chemo and to rely on a miracle. I don't know the outcome of the wrongful death part of it.
That's the one that was dropped.

Dom Heffner
06-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Again... this is a wealthy couple to begin. They built their personal wealth by establishing and operating one of the most successful Quarter Horse ranches in the nation. The LB Ranch is home to many famous stallions and other championship horses. Horsemen come from across the United States and all over the world to buy quality horses.

According to his own personal testimony though, he found himself putting his family and God behind his business ventures, and knew that his priorities had to change. He re-committed his life to Christ, felt the call to ministry, and started this church in 1978 with twelve people meeting upstairs in a fire house on the west side of Middletown. As the church (congregation) grew they made the decision to use their wealth to help that church grow, and used their own personal fortune to build the current building, as well as that statue.

Now this country is filled with uber-wealthy people. And we see the "rich and the famous" spend their fortunes in sometimes very selfish and exorbitant ways to live that lifestyle. And that's fine! It's their money.

But when a wealthy Christian uses his money to not only build a church, but also a ministry that has expanded into numerous areas of community service, then a majority on here don't focus on that, but only on this huge statue of Jesus he built.

And I say that as a Christian who has differences of opinion as far as their Charismatic theology goes. But that is really not the point or issue here.

But I'll let the man upstairs be the final judge. ;)

After all the charity, community service, blah, blah, blah, they still spent $300,000 on a styrofoam statue of Jesus.

The point remains and isn't softened by anything.

If charity is a wonderful thing, $300,000 could have been put towards that instead of how they chose to spend it.

kaldaniels
06-18-2010, 07:17 PM
After all the charity, community service, blah, blah, blah, they still spent $300,000 on a styrofoam statue of Jesus.

If charity is a wonderful thing, $300,000 could have been put towards that instead of how they chose to spend it.

Jesus statue is to church as TV advertisements are to the United Way. Just a way of getting themselves into the public eye albeit a big,buttery, difference.

savafan
06-18-2010, 09:12 PM

I'm still more concerned about the people they've ripped off, and may still continue to be ripping off, irregardless of how much charity they've done.

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Jesus statue is to church as TV advertisements are to the United Way. Just a way of getting themselves into the public eye albeit a big,buttery, difference.

That's certainly the reason I'd pick my spiritual path over another.

GAC
06-19-2010, 07:01 AM

I'll say this and then I am done, because this discussion is edging towards the line and should be on the PG....

You're a non-religious person Dom, and an "antagonist" when it comes to the Christian faith. But try, just for the sake of the discussion -I know you can do it - to look at it as if you were a Christian. What is your purpose as a Christian?....

#1 - to live your faith and exemplify the person of Christ.

#2 - to share your faith (to those that have ears to hear) and evangelize, bring people to Christ (The Great Commission). And there are many different ways in which to do that.

Why? Because, as a Christian, Jesus taught on not only the eternal existence of the soul, but also two eternal "paths" or destinies.

Now if that statue led one person to do some serious thinking, and led them to commit their life to Christ... and we have no idea whether it has or hasn't, but it certainly is not out of the realm of possibility because that is the reason Bishop said he erected the statue.... would you, being a uber-wealthy person to begin with, consider that even one soul "saved" easily worth that $250,000?

Now maybe you can't see that, but I can.

pedro
06-19-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm still more concerned about the people they've ripped off, and may still continue to be ripping off, irregardless of how much charity they've done.

I'm most concerned about getting people to stop saying " irregardless" as it isn't a real word. 20 years of futile work on my father tells me it it's never going to happen.

Spring~Fields
06-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I'll say this and then I am done, because this discussion is edging towards the line and should be on the PG....

You're a non-religious person Dom, and an "antagonist" when it comes to the Christian faith. But try, just for the sake of the discussion -I know you can do it - to look at it as if you were a Christian. What is your purpose as a Christian?....

#1 - to live your faith and exemplify the person of Christ.

#2 - to share your faith (to those that have ears to hear) and evangelize, bring people to Christ (The Great Commission). And there are many different ways in which to do that.

Why? Because, as a Christian, Jesus taught on not only the eternal existence of the soul, but also two eternal "paths" or destinies.

Now if that statue led one person to do some serious thinking, and led them to commit their life to Christ... and we have no idea whether it has or hasn't, but it certainly is not out of the realm of possibility because that is the reason Bishop said he erected the statue.... would you, being a uber-wealthy person to begin with, consider that even one soul "saved" easily worth that $250,000?

I just never have seen him as being represented as one that would appreciate something like that, statues or let alone a giant statue.

I don’t think that Jesus would want a huge statue of his likeness. I think that if they or we went to him and spoke to him of those plans to build it, that he would rebuff, rebuke and chastise the one suggesting it.

Hasn’t lightening and fire been used or symbolic, to indicate that something just really wasn’t appreciated or in stronger terms, in the Bible? Perhaps there was a message in that lightening bolt and fire. I don’t know, but I can take a hint of that magnitude.

I really think that Jesus would verbally slap one down for suggesting, let alone building that.

savafan
06-19-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm most concerned about getting people to stop saying " irregardless" as it isn't a real word. 20 years of futile work on my father tells me it it's never going to happen.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

:p:

pedro
06-19-2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

:p:

Touche.

Still grates on my last nerve.

Everyone needs their own crusade I guess. ;)

Yachtzee
06-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Touche.

Still grates on my last nerve.

Everyone needs their own crusade I guess. ;)

Where do we send donations to erect a giant styrofoam statue of the word "irregardless" with a line through the "i-r"?

GAC
06-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Where do we send donations to erect a giant styrofoam statue of the word "irregardless" with a line through the "i-r"?

I'll give you my email; but I will spend the money as I please irregardless. :p:

RichRed
06-21-2010, 12:43 PM
http://www.conversationmarketing.com/irregardless.jpg

I'm with the bear.

pedro
06-21-2010, 01:02 PM

I don't know but if you find out please let me know.

reds1869
06-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Along with "irregardless," I'd like to see the death of "I don't disagree."

By the way, "irregardless" comes up as a misspelling in the Reds Zone spellchecker. :p:

Kingspoint
06-21-2010, 11:00 PM
I hate text messaging and acronyms for phrases, so using "irregardless" is a god-send in my book compared to any of the new language that's been developed through text messaging. I disagree with hundreds of words that have been "accepted" by merrian-webster over the last 20 years because of their "frequent" usage. Just because something is used erroneously "frequently", doesn't mean it should be accepted by a word, but it does.

The Operator
06-22-2010, 02:03 AM

This is just my opinion, but I think the statue did more harm than good.

I'd say it was polarizing among the Christian community in that there were some people that liked it and/or thought it was a good thing to do... and there were also many Christian who thought it was ridiculous; but I have to think that any non-Christian would see that enormous statue as nothing but arrogance, waste, and grandeur.

I know Lawrence Bishop says he didn't do it to show off, but I don't believe that for a single second. That entire church is about Lawrence Bishop showing off.

Slyder
06-22-2010, 02:08 AM
YouTube - Big Butter/Burnt Butter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSa8OHtjXW8&feature=related)

This version includes the new verse for post fireball destruction.