PDA

View Full Version : Woman killed by line drive foul ball at minor league game

savafan
06-15-2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2010/jun/15/baseball-accident-a-tragedy/?partner=popular

Chip R
06-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't know why teams haven't extended the screens down the 1st and 3rd base lines.

hebroncougar
06-15-2010, 12:28 PM
It's surprising it doesn't happen more often.

dougdirt
06-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't know why teams haven't extended the screens down the 1st and 3rd base lines.

Because fans won't pay more for those tickets anymore (or at least as much as they currently do). Of course in the minor leagues, those tickets aren't much more than other seats are, so perhaps its a route they should really look at.

Chip R
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Because fans won't pay more for those tickets anymore (or at least as much as they currently do). Of course in the minor leagues, those tickets aren't much more than other seats are, so perhaps its a route they should really look at.

Sure they will. Where are the most expensive seats in the ballpark? Right behind home plate where there has been a screen there for ages. They certainly don't mind paying top dollar to sit behind a screen.

guttle11
06-15-2010, 12:58 PM
I was at a Dayton Dragons game last year where a lady was hit in the forehead by the hardest foul liner I had ever seen. She was right above the dugout and never even had time to see it. She was knocked out cold for a good 10 minutes. Very scary, but she ended up with just a concussion and a new lease on life I'm sure.

westofyou
06-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Holy Owen Meany, eventually something will give as far as netting.

RichRed
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Holy Owen Meany, eventually something will give as far as netting.

Owen Meany is the first thing I thought of too.

Reds1
06-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Awful story! Her 1st game. You know she was just going with her husband and not paying much attention to the game.

dougdirt
06-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Sure they will. Where are the most expensive seats in the ballpark? Right behind home plate where there has been a screen there for ages. They certainly don't mind paying top dollar to sit behind a screen.

Seats behind home plate are ideal because they are the best view. Its why the sections in the upper deck are always full right behind home plate and empty everywhere else up there.

reds1869
06-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Hockey fans certainly don't have a problem shelling out for glass tickets. I realize the glass is transparent in a way netting isn't, but the view is still less clear than if you sit above glass level.

dougdirt
06-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Hockey fans certainly don't have a problem shelling out for glass tickets. I realize the glass is transparent in a way netting isn't, but the view is still less clear than if you sit above glass level.

You are also literally right on the action. I bet baseball fans would be fine sitting behind a net if the net lined up with the foul line.

Chip R
06-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Seats behind home plate are ideal because they are the best view. Its why the sections in the upper deck are always full right behind home plate and empty everywhere else up there.

So why don't they sit up higher then? Sure, some will complain at first but since it's being done for safety reasons, then they are going to look bad if they do complain. What I'm thinking is a netting that starts at the same height as the one behind home plate but gradually gets shorter till it is past the base on each side. Past that point, a foul ball hit into the stands will decrease in velocity and be less harmful for fans sitting there.

dougdirt
06-15-2010, 01:51 PM
So why don't they sit up higher then?

Because they want to be closer to the action and have a good chance at a foul ball.

JaxRed
06-15-2010, 01:54 PM
I know I don't want to sit behind netting. I'll take my chances.

TRF
06-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I heard about this a couple of days ago in passing on the news. thought for a while it was here the way they were talking. Awful. And horrible for the survivors, the family and the player from San Angelo. He has to live with this forever.

gonelong
06-15-2010, 02:46 PM
We sit behind the net at the Dragon's games, don't even notice it. If we sit down the lines at a Reds or Dragons game, I always make sure that I sit between the batter and Mrs. Gonelong and Gonelong Jr. - and then I watch the game.

GL