PDA

View Full Version : A's Acquire Conor Jackson

savafan
06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/as-acquire-conor-jackson.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

westofyou
06-15-2010, 01:18 PM
.238/.326/.331/.657

In a hitters park and headed for the tougher league and harder park.

Tough road.

lollipopcurve
06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
They had such a solid-seeming core of young talent, and now they're ready to blow it up. If I were a DBacks fan, this would be a very discouraging time. I have to wonder, and I know this may be anathema to some, if the lack of having a veteran like Rolen to mesh with the young position players has hurt Arizona.

westofyou
06-15-2010, 01:27 PM
They had such a solid-seeming core of young talent, and now they're ready to blow it up. If I were a DBacks fan, this would be a very discouraging time. I have to wonder, and I know this may be anathema to some, if the lack of having a veteran like Rolen to mesh with the young position players has hurt Arizona.

One of teh issues I read was that the team was chock full of 1st rounders and adversary was not known well by most there, apparently they are pretty laid bac as team and Reynolds is the most upbeat guy because he had to go through a little more than Upto, Young and Drew

lollipopcurve
06-15-2010, 01:33 PM
One of teh issues I read was that the team was chock full of 1st rounders and adversary was not known well by most there, apparently they are pretty laid bac as team and Reynolds is the most upbeat guy because he had to go through a little more than Upto, Young and Drew

I think an accomplished graybeard, a guy with a quality resume, may have been able to get some of those guys grounded.

RichRed
06-15-2010, 01:44 PM
I think an accomplished graybeard, a guy with a quality resume, may have been able to get some of those guys grounded.

Reds have Scott Rolen, D'backs have Augie Ojeda.

lollipopcurve
06-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Reds have Scott Rolen, D'backs have Augie Ojeda.

Nothing against Augie Doggie, but yeah.

Ghosts of 1990
06-15-2010, 02:00 PM

Konerko could be this year's Rolen somewhere....

Homer Bailey
06-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Buster Olney tweeted that basically the D'Backs are open for business.

Gladly take Chad Qualls off their hands despite his struggles. Aaron Heilman wouldn't be shabby either.

OnBaseMachine
06-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Chad Qualls? No thanks.

If I'm Walt, I would get on the phone immediately with the D-Backs and see what it would take to acquire Dan Haren.

nate
06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Qualls has been a "big disappointment" on my fantasy team. I'm glad I picked up Heilman as it looks like he may be getting the job.

I'm all for Heilman anyhow. He'll go over well with the "stirrups" folks!

Homer Bailey
06-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Qualls has had some control problems this year, but is striking out over a batter an inning, and is suffering from a .474 BABIP. He has an ERA of 8.46, but a FIP of 4.14 and xFIP of 3.56. I doubt it would take a ton for the Reds to acquire him, and I think it's a great buy low opportunity.

Edit: If you subtract the IBB's from Qualls's walk rate, his K/BB rate rises to 3.77.

nate
06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Qualls has had some control problems this year, but is striking out over a batter an inning, and is suffering from a .474 BABIP. He has an ERA of 8.46, but a FIP of 4.14 and xFIP of 3.56. I doubt it would take a ton for the Reds to acquire him, and I think it's a great buy low opportunity.

Edit: If you subtract the IBB's from Qualls's walk rate, his K/BB rate rises to 3.77.

Believe me, I know. I look at the FIP and xFIP plus the saves every day as a reason not to drop him. I just think the Reds need someone who's "doing it" instead of someone who's "done it" or "might do it" right about now.

Maybe though!

Homer Bailey
06-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Believe me, I know. I look at the FIP and xFIP plus the saves every day as a reason not to drop him. I just think the Reds need someone who's "doing it" instead of someone who's "done it" or "might do it" right about now.
Maybe though!

I'll agree with that. I don't think that should be the only move, but if the D'Backs are shedding, I'd be glad to take him off their hands assuming it wouldn't cost much.

PuffyPig
06-15-2010, 04:00 PM

When Qualls learns to control that BABIP of his, only then should be go knocking......;););)

I think he would be an excellent target.

Homer Bailey
06-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Buster_ESPN

The D-Backs are making it clear that they are willing to move anybody not named Justin Upton or Ian Kennedy. Dan Haren? Yes, they will talk.

GO GET HIM WALT!!!

PuffyPig
06-15-2010, 04:04 PM

If you believe current ERA as a great indicator of future performance, then by all means go ahead.

But if you beleive xFIP is a better indicator of future performance, Qualls is your guy.

I'm assuming a pitcher with a great ERA and a great xFIP would be near impossible or too expensive to obtain.

I'd take a chance on a Qualls over a pitcher who's got a better ERA but relying on a low BABIP to do it.

Mario-Rijo
06-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Buster_ESPN

GO GET HIM WALT!!!

Bailey, Alonso, Francisco done!

Haren
Harang
Cueto
Arroyo
Leake

:thumbup:

reds44
06-15-2010, 05:03 PM

Bobby Jenks would be a better target, IMO. Another guy who has struggled this year, but also has a BABIP over .400.

Scrap Irony
06-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Dan Haren, Chris Snyder, and Chad Qualls

for

Matt Maloney, Travis Wood, Sam LeCure, Yonder Alonso, Juan Francisco/ Todd Frazier, and Devin Mesoraco.

Reds get three major upgrades to their team, boosting catching, starting pitching, and relief pitching holes.

The starting rotation:
Dan Haren
Mike Leake
Bronson Arroyo
Johnny Cueto
Aaron Harang

When Bailey gets healthy, he rehabs in AAA, then moves into the rotation only if Harang struggles. (Harang then becomes another set-up man in the pen, further strengthening it.) Volquez also goes to the pen as a set-up guy, giving Rhodes a breather.

The bullpen, then, becomes:
Francisco Cordero
Chad Qualls
Arthur Rhodes
Edinson Volquez
Aaron Harang/ Homer Bailey
Micah Owings
Logan Ondrusek/ Danny Ray Hererra

Perhaps only one lefty, but a really solid pen, especially considering pure stuff. Both the Harang/ Bailey spot and Volquez would have miss-the-bat ability.

The Diamondbacks need pitching, especially young pitching. Each of the three starters given up would immediately become D-Back starters. Each is ready right now and each could contribute. While none are top of the rotation material, all three are ready and young enough to do well as MOR or BOR starters for the next decade.

Not only do the D-Backs need pitching, the need power. Lots of it. The addition of Francisco and Mesoraco should take care of that. (This assumes Arizona wants Francisco more than Frazier; they may want the versatility of Frazier over the power of Francisco.) Alonso, too, would provide a pretty big boost to the offense when 'Zona deals LaRoche later on. He could play 1B or they could move him to LF and play both he and Brandon Allen together.

This deal takes care of the immediate needs of Arizona and gives them a pretty big chit for the future as well. It also allows them to deal the rest of their "extras" (LaRoche, perhaps Johnson, Brandon Webb?) for lower level gambles.

Tornon
06-15-2010, 05:56 PM
What about Stephen Drew?

OnBaseMachine
06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Chad Qualls was mentioned earlier in this thread as a potential target for the Reds. Jon Morosi of Fox Sports agrees:

Chad Qualls, right-handed reliever

Itís time for a change of scenery. People throughout the industry are probably aware of that. Qualls is having a lousy contract year, with an 8.87 ERA that isnít helping the team Ė or him. But he has value, particularly to pitching coaches and scouts who profess the we-can-fix-him mentality. A natural destination would be Cincinnati, where Bryan Price is the pitching coach. Price worked with Qualls two years ago, when the right-hander had a tidy 2.81 ERA for Arizona.

Prospective Employer: The Redsí bullpen is the teamís most obvious weakness.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/Diamondbacks-potential-moves-#sport=MLB&photo=11346012

westofyou
06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Chad Qualls was mentioned earlier in this thread as a potential target for the Reds. Jon Morosi of Fox Sports agrees:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/Diamondbacks-potential-moves-#sport=MLB&photo=11346012

He and Masset both had babip in the .400's 2 weeks ago.

Brutus
06-22-2010, 02:10 PM
What about Stephen Drew?

I would love, love, love that.

OnBaseMachine
06-22-2010, 02:13 PM
I would love, love, love that.

Me too. He would certainly solve the Reds SS situation for the next few years.

Will M
06-24-2010, 03:46 PM
what would it take to get both Haren & Drew? do the Reds have enough real prospects to make it happen? obtaining both a real SS & an ace starter would push the team past the Cards into October. plus both are not rentals.

westofyou
06-24-2010, 03:52 PM
what would it take to get both Haren & Drew? do the Reds have enough real prospects to make it happen? obtaining both a real SS & an ace starter would push the team past the Cards into October. plus both are not rentals.

Haren has 29 million coming and Drew is going to be Arb eligble next year, I'm going out on the limb saying that neither interest the Reds at this time.

Will M
06-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Haren has 29 million coming and Drew is going to be Arb eligble next year, I'm going out on the limb saying that neither interest the Reds at this time.

the team has a ton of money coming off the books after this year: Harang, Arroyo (if they don't pick up his option), Taveras/Miles's money, Rhodes, Lincoln, probably Hernandez if his option doesn't vest, Cabrera. it would seem that the money they are owed could fit into the 2011 budget.