PDA

View Full Version : Reds a fit for David Dejesus

aubashbrother
06-15-2010, 01:12 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=5287562&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog%3fname%3dolney_buster%26id%3d5287562

link is for espn insiders im not one but heres the tidbit from mlbtraderumors

The Padres, Angels, Giants and Reds could be fits for David DeJesus in Olney's opinion.

GIDP
06-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Stubbs, Bruce, and Gomes are all doing well. The only person he might be more valuable is Gomes because Gomes D is pretty bad. Still that being said if they wanted to get Dejesus then Heisey would get more playing time.

webbbj
06-15-2010, 01:45 PM
dont really think this team needs an extra bat. just find 2 guys for the bullpen. i dont know what it is but maybe masset was just a one year wonder.

Alpha Zero
06-15-2010, 02:09 PM
If he can still play CF, then I think DeJesus is a good fit. A top six of DeJesus-Phillips-Votto-Rolen-Bruce-Gomes would look good and would give the Reds a solid OBP presence at the top of the lineup. Stubbs could still play 2-3 times a week to keep everyone fresh.

If it doesn't take much to get him and if he's still a capable CF, I'd grab him. He seems to be a solid, fundamentally sound ball player.

vottofan4life
06-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Dejesus, Farnsworth, and Soria for Masset, Heisey, Maloney, Lincoln, and Cody Puckett

Kiss the Baby00
06-15-2010, 02:28 PM
looool, no chance the reds trade for another outfielder. buster olney said so, it must be true! Just use your head, do u even watch the games? where would dejesus play? unless he can catch or we can use him as middle relief we dont need/want him. Gomes makes 800k and will have 50 RBI and 10-15 HRs all while hitting .300 before the all-star break and will only make 1.25 mill next season when the club picks up his option. unless we are going to beer league softball and playing 4 OFs, we have 0 use for DeJesus.

Kiss the Baby00
06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
If he can still play CF, then I think DeJesus is a good fit. A top six of DeJesus-Phillips-Votto-Rolen-Bruce-Gomes would look good and would give the Reds a solid OBP presence at the top of the lineup. Stubbs could still play 2-3 times a week to keep everyone fresh.

If it doesn't take much to get him and if he's still a capable CF, I'd grab him. He seems to be a solid, fundamentally sound ball player.

ummm, no.

stubbs make 400k and is in his first full year as a starter PLUS the Reds drafted him in the first round 8th or 12th overall(i dont remember which. in other words they have a TON invested in him and he wont be "playing every 2-3 days to keep the lineup fresh"

BuckWild03
06-15-2010, 02:40 PM
As much as I like DeJesus as a player, I just don't see how he is a good fit for Cincinnati right now with 5 quality (for the money they're paid) guys already competing for 3 spots.

Alpha Zero
06-15-2010, 03:28 PM
ummm, no.

stubbs make 400k and is in his first full year as a starter PLUS the Reds drafted him in the first round 8th or 12th overall(i dont remember which. in other words they have a TON invested in him and he wont be "playing every 2-3 days to keep the lineup fresh"

Stubbs doesn't automatically get the right to play every day just because he was drafted in the first round four years ago. Right now, Stubbs is hitting better, but he still has major contact issues to overcome. Cabrera and his sub-.300 OBP are not well suited for the leadoff spot, and there aren't really any other viable leadoff candidates in the Reds' dugout.

I'm not saying that the Reds should give up on Stubbs by any stretch of the imagination, but DeJesus gives the Reds a better chance now. Plus, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world for Stubbs development if he's used as a reserve outfielder for half a season. Competition and depth can be a good thing.

Kiss the Baby00
06-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Stubbs doesn't automatically get the right to play every day just because he was drafted in the first round four years ago. Right now, Stubbs is hitting better, but he still has major contact issues to overcome. Cabrera and his sub-.300 OBP are not well suited for the leadoff spot, and there aren't really any other viable leadoff candidates in the Reds' dugout.

I'm not saying that the Reds should give up on Stubbs by any stretch of the imagination, but DeJesus gives the Reds a better chance now. Plus, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world for Stubbs development if he's used as a reserve outfielder for half a season. Competition and depthacanthus be a good thing.

Stubbs is in his FIRST full season as a starter. he had a horrible start. in the past month he is hitting .289/.359/.478 3 HR 13 RBI 14 R and 4 SB. he is adjusting to playing everyday at the major league level. there is zero chance they relegate him to 4th OF duty at this point in his career. 0%

Alpha Zero
06-15-2010, 04:18 PM
If you want Stubbs to play 100% of the playing time, then you send him to AAA. This happens all of the time with young players. The idea is to field the best team that you can. When you're in contention, that sometimes means that your prospects (even the good ones) ride the pine or head back to AAA when you upgrade at a position of weakness.

Vottomatic
06-15-2010, 04:33 PM
As much as I like DeJesus as a player, I just don't see how he is a good fit for Cincinnati right now with 5 quality (for the money they're paid) guys already competing for 3 spots.

Gomes is nearly leading the NL in rbi and hitting over .300. We're not replacing him and his $800,000 salary.

Replace Stubbs? Dejesus is in the last year of his contract, making $4.7M with a club option for '11 or a $.5M buyout. While, it's not that much money, probably half come the deadline........it still adds payroll. I think management is more prone to add some bullpen arms or maybe surprise us with a rent-a-player #1 starter for the postseason if they get the chance. Rather than add another outfielder and payroll for that matter.

Now do I think Dejesus is a bad player? By no means. He has hit between .280 and .300 each of the last 3 seasons with solid OBP. He doesn't steal well, citing his 9 caught stealing and only 4 stolen bases last year. Not impressive at all. I'd just as well stick with what we got.

We need to concentrate on adding quality bullpen arms.

Kiss the Baby00
06-15-2010, 04:34 PM
If you want Stubbs to play 100% of the playing time, then you send him to AAA. This happens all of the time with young players. The idea is to field the best team that you can. When you're in contention, that sometimes means that your prospects (even the good ones) ride the pine or head back to AAA when you upgrade at a position of weakness.

my point is its not a position of weakness. stubbs has done all he can do at AAA. now he is in the majors AS HIS FIRST FULL SEASON STARTING. and is still adjusting to the major league level of play. they didnt send him to AAA when he was hitting .180 in april. no chance he is going there now.

Kiss the Baby00
06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Gomes is nearly leading the NL in rbi and hitting over .300. We're not replacing him and his $800,000 salary.

Replace Stubbs? Dejesus is in the last year of his contract, making $4.7M with a club option for '11 or a $.5M buyout. While, it's not that much money, probably half come the deadline........it still adds payroll. I think management is more prone to add some bullpen arms or maybe surprise us with a rent-a-player #1 starter for the postseason if they get the chance. Rather than add another outfielder and payroll for that matter.

Now do I think Dejesus is a bad player? By no means. He has hit between .280 and .300 each of the last 3 seasons with solid OBP. He doesn't steal well, citing his 9 caught stealing and only 4 stolen bases last year. Not impressive at all. I'd just as well stick with what we got.

We need to concentrate on adding quality bullpen arms.

finally someone who knows something about how baseball works!

redlegs7089
06-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Dejesus, Farnsworth, and Soria for Masset, Heisey, Maloney, Lincoln, and Cody Puckett

Theres no way they would do that

Vottomatic
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
And last time I looked, the Reds were leading the NL in batting average at .279 (Giants are second at .267), are second in HR's at 79 (Brewers have 80), in runs and rbi, slugging and total bases, and are second in OBP, and third in stolen bases.

Is that not good enough that for the moment we can put to rest any trade for position players/hitters and concentrate on pitching help for the bullpen?

I don't get this love affair with adding another hitter.

1990REDS
06-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Unless Dejesus can come out of the bullpen and hold a lead in the 7th or 8th inning we dont need him. The bullpen is all we should care about sureing up.

Griffey012
06-15-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm not saying that the Reds should give up on Stubbs by any stretch of the imagination, but DeJesus gives the Reds a better chance now. Plus, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world for Stubbs development if he's used as a reserve outfielder for half a season. Competition and depth can be a good thing.

But he automatically gets to play everyday due to great defense and a .900 OPS since being moved to the 7th spot. He is outproducing DeJesus, since his move down there.

DeJesus is a good player, and I would have loved to get him for LF in the off-season, but at this point he would be nothing more than insurance in case Gomes or Stubbs falters. We should wait till sometime in July to check back.

Kingspoint
06-15-2010, 05:43 PM
dont really think this team needs an extra bat. just find 2 guys for the bullpen. i dont know what it is but maybe masset was just a one year wonder.

No kidding. They lead the National League in runs per game. They don't need a bat.

DirtyBaker
06-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Stubbs could be a stud someday. Once OCab's gone, I hope he can make an eventual return to the leadoff spot with some improved patience at the plate.

Rather spend the money on Stormy Weathers, personally.

bounty37h
06-17-2010, 10:27 AM
finally someone who knows something about how baseball works!

Hey Kiss, I like what your bringing to the board overall info wise, but you seem to be talking down to people on here as well. Might wanna get your feet wet with people here first before you talk down to them if you want respect back...

Kiss the Baby00
06-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Hey Kiss, I like what your bringing to the board overall info wise, but you seem to be talking down to people on here as well. Might wanna get your feet wet with people here first before you talk down to them if you want respect back...

quite the contrary, i was complimenting the guy who i quoted for knowing how baseball actually works, as opposed to some who propose fantasy trades.

bounty37h
06-17-2010, 01:16 PM
quite the contrary, i was complimenting the guy who i quoted for knowing how baseball actually works, as opposed to some who propose fantasy trades.

Well, when you say "finally, someone who knows how baseball works", you are talking down to the rest that we dont know. Yes, there are ridiculous threads and comments made, trade proposals, etc. on here, but think your going about it wrong way, esp for a rookie on here where people dont know you yet.

Vottomatic
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM

I think you're doing an awesome job of posting. I especially liked that one complimenting one poster. :eek: :D :beerme: