PDA

View Full Version : Fay: Reds Willing To Trade For Or Sign A Reliever

RedLegSuperStar
06-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Fay reports on his blog that the Reds are exploring the possibility of signing or trading for a reliever.

Here's a name for you: Ian Snell

Either move LeCure to the pen or minors or use Snell in Long Relief along with Owings. Snell is being released by Seattle so maybe the Reds can nab him before the Cards do. Snell has Dave Duncan written all over him..

westofyou
06-15-2010, 06:08 PM
so maybe the Reds can nab him before the Cards do

Cards have a worst record, they have 1st dibs

reds44
06-15-2010, 06:09 PM
I'd honestly rather have Weathers than Snell.

BearcatShane
06-15-2010, 06:13 PM
If were gonna get someone please don't go after the Ian Snell's of the world. That is what they did in 2006, it was a revolving door of mediocridy. If your gonna make a move, don't be afraid to deal a decent prospect are two for a solid reliever.

RedsManRick
06-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Snell is a bit of a head-case from what I've read; probably not worth the energy.

HokieRed
06-15-2010, 06:22 PM
I hate to see the Cardinals get Snell.

Scrap Irony
06-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Snell has talent. With his stuff, you could see him play up as a dominant reliever. I'd certainly kick the tires on that, if possible.

PuffyPig
06-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I saw Snell pitch last night, gave up a quick 4 runs to the Cards.

No one will claim him on waivers, as he costs to much.

He'll be free at the end of the day.

Blitz Dorsey
06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
More cutting-edge stuff from Fay. Wow, the Reds are interested in improving their atrocious bullpen? I never even considered the possibility.

Ghosts of 1990
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Based on stuff alone.... and maybe working with Price....I'd love Snell here this year.

fearofpopvol1
06-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Cards have a worst record, they have 1st dibs

In an hour or two they won't.

alloverjr
06-15-2010, 11:32 PM
If were gonna get someone please don't go after the Ian Snell's of the world. That is what they did in 2006, it was a revolving door of mediocridy. If your gonna make a move, don't be afraid to deal a decent prospect are two for a solid reliever.

...or a solid starting rotation

MartyFan
06-16-2010, 08:20 AM
I heard that Weathers was potentially interested in pitching half a season with the Reds...I suppose that wouldn't be a horrible option.

Sea Ray
06-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Snell has been horrible for Seattle this year. In fact I'm disappointed he won't start one of the games against us this weekend. If he's horrible pitching in Safeco, think how bad he'd be at Great American. Opposing players would be fighting over the chance to grab a bat and step in against him.

No thanks

Let's sign or trade a real pitcher. This isn't 2004. We've got a real chance

nate
06-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Snell has been horrible for Seattle this year. In fact I'm disappointed he won't start one of the games against us this weekend. If he's horrible pitching in Safeco, think how bad he'd be at Great American. Opposing players would be fighting over the chance to grab a bat and step in against him.

No thanks

Let's sign or trade a real pitcher. This isn't 2004. We've got a real chance

Word.

Roy Tucker
06-16-2010, 01:44 PM
I just wish the Reds would think outside the box just a little bit and call up Travis Wood or Matt Maloney or even Chapman and put them in the bullpen. They seem to have the stuff to get MLB hitters out rather than the gas cans like Del Rosario or Fisher.

Chip R
06-16-2010, 01:48 PM
I just wish the Reds would think outside the box just a little bit and call up Travis Wood or Matt Maloney or even Chapman and put them in the bullpen. They seem to have the stuff to get MLB hitters out rather than the gas cans like Del Rosario or Fisher.

I agree. I want to see these guys get outs and not give up singles and walks and extra base hits. I know that Wood and Chapman are projected as starters but they are going to have to face these guys eventually so why not do it in relief?

Sea Ray
06-16-2010, 02:05 PM
I agree. I want to see these guys get outs and not give up singles and walks and extra base hits. I know that Wood and Chapman are projected as starters but they are going to have to face these guys eventually so why not do it in relief?

Let's hope they come around on this. It worked out well for David Price. Past Reds like Jose Rijo and Mario Soto started their major league careers as relievers

nemesis
06-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I'd rather move Maloney for a guy proven to be a quality middle reliever. You know how many of Maloney's apperances out of 112 in the Minors have been in relief?

That was on a rehab assignment in 2008 in the GCL and he went 5.2 innings in that.

There is nothing to suggest he is capable of making a smooth transition to the bullpen. He has been on a 5 day schedule for 5 years. There no telling if he could warm up quick enough or go 2 or 3 days in a row without blowing his arm up. I'd rather he make the conversion in the Minors and see how he handles it down there first. Versus a Major League experiment.

There is enough poor starting pitching in the Majors some losing team would be willing to part with a proven guy for Maloney and a prospect bullpen arm. Has to be...

edabbs44
06-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Maloney seems to always look good until he gets to Cincy.

Cedric
06-16-2010, 02:55 PM

Always? He was only recalled once.

edabbs44
06-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Always? He was only recalled once.

That would make it always, right? ;)

Felt like he's been up more than that. I was underwhelmed with him and think he might do better in a bigger ballpark. He's let up 12 HR in 52 innings in the majors in 2009 and ST this year.

They could save some money and just pull an old jersey out of the bin and replace the "ilton" with "aloney", I guess.

Spring~Fields
06-16-2010, 04:18 PM

I agree with Chip and Roy. Have some flexibility, think some out of the box. Have and show some confidence in the coaches and the pitchers going forward that they could contribute in the bullpen etc. Plus it could help prepare them for next season, or answer some questions that could help with solutions during the off season.

Other teams have had success moving starters to relief rolls to get experience.

Plus there is no certainty on which pitchers will or will not work out as starters, and what for sure, will happen in the Arroyo or Harang issues coming. Might be nice to see and have some experienced major league time under those starters that you speak of.

Chip R
06-16-2010, 04:20 PM
I agree with you and Roy. Have some flexibility, think some out of the box. Have and show some confidence in the coaches and the pitchers going forward that they could contribute in the bullpen etc. Plus it could help prepare them for next season, or answer some questions that could help with solutions during the off season.

Other teams have had success moving starters to relief rolls to get experience.

Plus there is no certainty on which pitchers will or will not work out as starters, and what for sure, will happen in the Arroyo or Harang issues coming. Might be nice to see and have some experienced major league time under those starters that you speak of.

Funny thing is Wainwright came up to help StL, when they won it all, as a reliever. So it's not like Walt hasn't ever done anything like this before.

edabbs44
06-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Funny thing is Wainwright came up to help StL, when they won it all, as a reliever. So it's not like Walt hasn't ever done anything like this before.

Wainwright is better than Wood and Maloney. Maybe I'm wrong, but we can't compare the two situations.

Spring~Fields
06-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Exactly.
And they were successful with that.

So we are not really talking about some wild off the wall exotic move, it has been done before and had benefits.

Kc61
06-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Exactly.
And they were successful with that.

So we are not really talking about some wild off the wall exotic move, it has been done before and had benefits.

Using a starter like Maloney or Wood might help with longer relief or, if their arms respond to it, middle relief.

That's fine, but Reds also need another set up man, somebody who can work the 8th inning. Rhodes can't pitch every night, and Masset isn't cutting it right now.

I think the setup man needs to come in a trade.

TRF
06-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Maloney in September of last year, 3 starts:

IP H R ER HR BB SO GB FB PIT BF GSc DEC REL ERA
17.0 17 5 5 1 1 9 24 34 255 69 -- 2-1 0 sv 2.65

Take the september numbers with a grain of salt, but he didn't look horrible.

Chip R
06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Wainwright is better than Wood and Maloney. Maybe I'm wrong, but we can't compare the two situations.

That's irrelevant. All that is needed are pitchers who can perform better than the current bunch. Whether that pitcher is a starter or a reliever in the minors is irrelevant. All he has to do is be able to get outs. We're not looking for guys who are Cy Young Award winners.

Spring~Fields
06-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Using a starter like Maloney or Wood might help with longer relief or, if their arms respond to it, middle relief.

That's fine, but Reds also need another set up man, somebody who can work the 8th inning. Rhodes can't pitch every night, and Masset isn't cutting it right now.

I think the setup man needs to come in a trade.

You're right too.

With them needing more than one to help in relief and that means to be very effective in relief. I know there are multiple considerations and concerns, present and future. What Roy and Chip were saying seems to be safe and cost effective without hurting anything.

Which ones are the best ones that can come in and throw major league strikes for an inning or two, and induce ground balls at the GABP? I think we all have reservations with the fly ball pitchers at the GABP.

I don’t think that they really have that many bullets to trade that other clubs will really give you a return for in AAA, do they? Once those are gone, then when that unforeseen happens? I don't care if they trade the position players in the minors no matter who they are, but pitching is gold in major league baseball, and to have pitching to trade is like having NY money, for a smaller revenue team, but you only have so much.

edabbs44
06-16-2010, 04:51 PM
That's irrelevant. All that is needed are pitchers who can perform better than the current bunch. Whether that pitcher is a starter or a reliever in the minors is irrelevant. All he has to do is be able to get outs. We're not looking for guys who are Cy Young Award winners.

I think it is relevant. We are talking about guys who have been brought up from the minors to pitch in relief like Wainwright and Price. Maloney and Wood are not Wainwright and Price. The fact that it worked for them relates to the current Reds situation kind of like if someone said we should call up Juan Francisco because Miguel Cabrera was called up by Florida mid-season in 2003 and helped them win a WS.

edabbs44
06-16-2010, 04:52 PM
But at this point, I'm willing to see anyone up here to try and help. I just wouldn't get our hopes up too much. Most likely, we will need to see someone come from the outside to help.

Kc61
06-16-2010, 04:53 PM
I don’t think that they really have that many bullets to trade that other clubs will really give you a return for in AAA, do they? Once those are gone, then when that unforeseen happens? I don't care if they trade the position players in the minors no matter who they are, but pitching is gold in major league baseball, and to have pitching to trade is like having NY money, for a smaller revenue team, but you only have so much.

At some point, if the Reds are going to win, I think they will have to trade some of their better prospects. Hitters, pitchers, whatever.

It never seems worth it to trade good young talent for rentals. But the Reds may have to.

I don't think the team will be able to go over the top without adding a couple of good veteran pitchers. Just my opinion. And the likely way to get them is via trade, with the Reds dangling good minor league talent.

Spring~Fields
06-16-2010, 04:59 PM

Yes and they have to be used effectively, and get that pitching time in that keeps them sharp instead of inconsistency. I am no pitching guru but doesn’t the way that they are used and how often or how little effect different pitchers?

Using the ones that you have a lot of confidence in while the other guys are passed over doesn’t help those pitchers does it? Or not, I don’t know.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the entire bullpen except Rhodes needs to be sent down to get regular work so they can throw their primary pitches effectively. :)

dfs
06-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Particularly with Maloney.......It's mystifying.

How far back is he now on the reds starting depth chart?
Arroyo/Harang/Cutto/Baley/Leake/Chapman/Volquez/LeCure.....and possibly others.

It's not like he's EVERY going to sniff a start with the big club here.

What do they have to LOSE by trying him in relief? I guess he would be a bargaining chip in any trade, but....if you don't have a trade in mind....why not let him throw 10 innings and spell DRH for a bit?

Spring~Fields
06-16-2010, 05:14 PM
At some point, if the Reds are going to win, I think they will have to trade some of their better prospects. Hitters, pitchers, whatever.

It never seems worth it to trade good young talent for rentals. But the Reds may have to.

I don't think the team will be able to go over the top without adding a couple of good veteran pitchers. Just my opinion. And the likely way to get them is via trade, with the Reds dangling good minor league talent.

This is true for many teams isn't it? They have the current season to consider. They have the Harang and Arroyo issues coming. They have cost and availability considerations with trading for or obtaining "good veteran" pitchers, starters or bullpen. Plus teams often need to look at upgrading their position players for even better offense and defense.

This off season coming up if Jocketty has the tools, players to trade, money, payroll flex, freedom from hindering contracts, gets a return in trades, well, he can make this team something special if players are available out there.

That above is one of the reasons that I thought it was important to find some of those minor league players, pitchers or hitters, some playing time to increase their trade value, or to see if they were the answers for the coming seasons, not just this one.

I am glad it is his job and not mine on answering those tough questions on who to trade and for what. It's tough, even just talking or kicking it around on a message board, let alone doing it in reality.

OnBaseMachine
06-16-2010, 05:23 PM
From John Fay's blog:

Wednesday’s update?

“It’s the same,” Baker said. “The bullpen we thought we would open with included (Jared) Burton and (Mike) Lincoln. One thing happened after another.”

Burton and Lincoln have been injured and are working their ways back to the Reds, Burton from the minors and Lincoln from the major league disabled list.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/16/bullpen-status-quo-for-now/

The Reds are in deep trouble if they think Mike Lincoln is part of the solution. He shouldn't pitch in the majors with the Reds again.

Kc61
06-16-2010, 05:46 PM
From John Fay's blog:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/16/bullpen-status-quo-for-now/

The Reds are in deep trouble if they think Mike Lincoln is part of the solution. He shouldn't pitch in the majors with the Reds again.

I think Dusty is saying that - coming into the season - they relied on the availability of Lincoln and Burton. I always assumed that they were relying on Burton because they didn't acquire a setup man this off-season.

Shouldn't they have realized that Burton hasn't been the same pitcher for a couple of years and Lincoln simply isn't a healthy reliever?

Reds are now paying a big price for assuming that these two would be mainstays.

Hopefully they will be able to fix the problem with Bray and acquisitions.

RedEye
06-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Shouldn't they have realized that Burton hasn't really proven himself yet and Lincoln simply isn't a good reliever?

Fixed that for ya. :)

REDREAD
06-16-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm totally against bringing up Chapman this season. The guy is still having trouble consistently throwing strikes. Until he learns how to do that, he's not going to do the Reds any good in the rotation or bullpen.

I'm totally underwhelmed with Maloney.. He's emergency depth at best.

I don't know a whole lot about Wood, but I will say this.. Unless you have a dominant arm like Wainwright/Scott Williamson in the minors, I think it's much more prudent to pick up a veteran reliever in a trade than to try to convert a decent (but not dominating) prospect to relief.. Around the trade deadline (or sooner) there's going to be plenty of teams willing to give away quality bullpen arms for little more than salary relief. There's no need to panic. I think if the Reds are still in contention in July, that ownership will pony up to add a veteran reliever, and we'll have to give up very little to get it.
Walt has shown the ability to steal quality talent at the trade deadline, so I'd rather not disrupt Wood or Chapman's development.

Chip R
06-16-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm totally against bringing up Chapman this season. The guy is still having trouble consistently throwing strikes. Until he learns how to do that, he's not going to do the Reds any good in the rotation or bullpen.

I don't know. He's not a lot worse than some of the other guys in the bullpen. Plus he at least has the ability to strike guys out. Plus he's left handed.

REDREAD
06-16-2010, 10:43 PM
I don't know. He's not a lot worse than some of the other guys in the bullpen. Plus he at least has the ability to strike guys out. Plus he's left handed.

True, but I don't want to "Bailey" him.
I see Chapman as a long term investment. Let's let him get his control straightened out, then bring him up. With his shaky control now, I am not convinced he'll be significantly better than what we have now.

HokieRed
06-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Wood should be in the rotation, Chapman's not ready. Just MHO.

Chip R
06-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Wood should be in the rotation, Chapman's not ready. Just MHO.

The only starter in the rotation that's going anywhere unless there's an injury is Le Cure. Harang will finish the season in the rotation unless he's injured.

alloverjr
06-17-2010, 12:15 AM
The only starter in the rotation that's going anywhere unless there's an injury is Le Cure. Harang will finish the season in the rotation unless he's injured.

Tonya Harding to the white courtesy phone please. ;)

Red Heeler
06-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Wasn't Aaron Heilman a mediocre starter before the Mets put him into the 'pen?

As fungible and volatile as middle relievers are, it makes little sense to trade for anything other than top shelf (closer) talent or pure stuff bought on the cheap. Trading Maloney for a moderately good middle reliever is at best a lateral move. Maybe the middle reliever just used up his 15 minutes (Gary Majewski). Maybe Maloney becomes a lights out set-up guy. I'd say the odds are about even.

Ron Madden
06-17-2010, 03:14 AM

As fungible and volatile as middle relievers are, it makes little sense to trade for anything other than top shelf (closer) talent or pure stuff bought on the cheap. Trading Maloney for a moderately good middle reliever is at best a lateral move. Maybe the middle reliever just used up his 15 minutes (Gary Majewski). Maybe Maloney becomes a lights out set-up guy. I'd say the odds are about even.

Agreed.

Relievers are very volatile. It's quite possible some of the guys we have can turn it around and be just as good for the rest of the season as they have been bad so far this season. You never know with relief pitchers.

edabbs44
06-17-2010, 06:57 AM

Yeah but they are different kinds of pitcher. There aren't many Maloney types in the bullpen.

Scrap Irony
06-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Sure, there are ed. You just don't often see them pre-bullpen. Pitching in the pen allows pitchers to "pitch up" their stuff. So Maloney's high 80's fastball becomes 91-92. He scraps his third and fourth best pitches (usually), favoring only his best two. (In Maloney's case, his excellent change-up-- which he throws almost a quater of the time-- and his fastball.)

There are a ton of relievers with that stuff and repetoire. Because Maloney's change is nearly a plus pitch and he gets a ton of swings and misses from it, I'm guessing he'll miss enough bats to make himself into a quality reliever.

The only question is whether he can go three or more days in a rowand with little warm-up time. With little breaking stuff, he should be able to, but he has to do it first.

bucksfan2
06-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Sure, there are ed. You just don't often see them pre-bullpen. Pitching in the pen allows pitchers to "pitch up" their stuff. So Maloney's high 80's fastball becomes 91-92. He scraps his third and fourth best pitches (usually), favoring only his best two. (In Maloney's case, his excellent change-up-- which he throws almost a quater of the time-- and his fastball.)

There are a ton of relievers with that stuff and repetoire. Because Maloney's change is nearly a plus pitch and he gets a ton of swings and misses from it, I'm guessing he'll miss enough bats to make himself into a quality reliever.

The only question is whether he can go three or more days in a rowand with little warm-up time. With little breaking stuff, he should be able to, but he has to do it first.

I think it really depends on the pitcher. Take Owings for example. Granted he is working more in long relief, but he really hasn't gained much velocity at all on his fastball.

I do think that the theory behind "going all out" in one inning makes sense, but I think in practice it is a little more murky.

Scrap Irony
06-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Owings is the long man-- he needs to save something for multiple innings. Maloney, if he's used as a middle reliever, is likely to be used only for two innings at most.

Unless, of course, they move Maloney to long man and Owings to middle relief.

Red Heeler
06-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Yeah but they are different kinds of pitcher. There aren't many Maloney types in the bullpen.

Trevor Hoffman rarely broke 90 with his fastball, even in his prime.

Do I expect Maloney to be a Hall of Fame closer? Of course not, but there is no reason to dismiss him out of hand.

dfs
06-17-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm totally underwhelmed with Maloney.. He's emergency depth at best.

I don't mean to overstate the reds bullpen needs, but ....if this isn't an emergency.....

I don't think Maloney is going to have any kind of great career, but I think given the right park and the right defense behind him he could be a decent enough starting pitcher. Now, it's pretty clear that the reds have buried the guy, but for years we heard about how young starting pitching was so valuable, you would think somebody would look at their 4 or 5 and go....yeah, sure send us Maloney.

REDREAD
06-17-2010, 12:25 PM
I think it really depends on the pitcher. Take Owings for example. Granted he is working more in long relief, but he really hasn't gained much velocity at all on his fastball.

I do think that the theory behind "going all out" in one inning makes sense, but I think in practice it is a little more murky.

Yes, I agree with this.

Has Malony ever "dialed it up" during one of his starts, even on one pitch?
Some guys when starting have to pace themselves, and can't go all out for 6-7 IP, and keeping them to one inning of relief lets them gain velocity.

Other guys just don't have the ablility to dial it up, and have the same velocity regardless of whether they are starting or relieving.

Other guys loose control when they try to "open it up".

I am totally underwhelmed with Malony. I know he's working on becoming more of a groundball guy, but if the Reds could trade him for a ML average reliever without a burdensome salary, that is a very wise use of assets.
I doubt Malony could even be a ML average reliever. IMO, if he makes it to the majors, it will be as a #5 starter, who is able to survive on mixing up his pitches.

REDREAD
06-17-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't mean to overstate the reds bullpen needs, but ....if this isn't an emergency.....

I don't think Maloney is going to have any kind of great career, but I think given the right park and the right defense behind him he could be a decent enough starting pitcher. Now, it's pretty clear that the reds have buried the guy, but for years we heard about how young starting pitching was so valuable, you would think somebody would look at their 4 or 5 and go....yeah, sure send us Maloney.

Yes, I agree. The Reds should be shopping Maloney hard. I assume they've been doing that, but no other team is that impressed with him either.

Now, given our bullpen, I would not be upset to call up Malony, put him in the pen and see what happens. I don't expect good results though. I kind of want to get away from the old philosphy of parading a new arm every 2 weeks and hoping it sticks. Good clubs realize that they can't solve the problem in house and go outside the organization for a solution.

Like I said, in July, there will be plenty of decent bullpen arms that the non-contenders will give away for little more than salary relief. If we want to try Malony for 4 weeks to see if it helps, that's fine.. but I think our expectations should be realistic. A

edabbs44
06-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Orioles designated RHP Cla Meredith for assignment.

Meredith was optioned to the minor leagues at the end of May after posting an 0-2 record, a 5.40 ERA and a 1.47 WHIP in 15 innings for the O's. He may draw some interest from reliever-desperate clubs.

Hmmmm...reliever desperate? Check.

TRF
06-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Only if Laynce Nix gives him a "y" for his name. Then he'd be complete.

RedEye
06-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Only if Laynce Nix gives him a "y" for his name. Then he'd be complete.

I often think other Reds players would benefit from adding a "y" to their names somewhere.

Orlayndo Cabrera, for example.

Or Scott Roleyn.

Maybe even Jayy Bruce.

fearofpopvol1
06-22-2010, 09:45 PM
I would take a chance on Meredith for sure. He's only pitched limitedly this year. The big issue is the 4 home runs in 15 innings. The sample size is small.

His career peripherals would suggest he's better than 90% of the current bullpen. He doesn't K a ton of batters, but he is a sinkerball pitcher that gets a lot of ground balls and historically, has kept the ball in the park well. He has good control and does not walk a lot of batters. He does give up a few more hits than I'd like, but again, his career numbers are very solid.

nemesis
06-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Maybe even Jayy Bruce.

Nooo... Looks to much like Javy.

savafan
07-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I'd be curious as to what Cleveland would want for Chris Perez, or do they see him as their closer going forward... That's an arm I'd like to add.

Mario-Rijo
07-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I would take a chance on Meredith for sure. He's only pitched limitedly this year. The big issue is the 4 home runs in 15 innings. The sample size is small.

His career peripherals would suggest he's better than 90% of the current bullpen. He doesn't K a ton of batters, but he is a sinkerball pitcher that gets a lot of ground balls and historically, has kept the ball in the park well. He has good control and does not walk a lot of batters. He does give up a few more hits than I'd like, but again, his career numbers are very solid.

Agreed Meredith is a guy I have always thought would be an interesting guy for the Reds.

Spitball
07-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I'd be curious as to what Cleveland would want for Chris Perez, or do they see him as their closer going forward... That's an arm I'd like to add.

I doubt he is available since he is young, cheap, and talented. The Indians will obviously try to move Wood, though. I believe Perez may have already moved into their closer role.