PDA

View Full Version : It's Over..........no more relief help

Vottomatic
06-16-2010, 04:04 AM
I didn't believe in the June Swoon before now.

Now I do. The club is going to stand pat as the bullpen screws every game over and we're forced to watch the bad news.

Enjoy and we will start talking about next year.

sabometrics
06-16-2010, 04:55 AM
I love coming to RedZone every night after a loss to laugh at the "sky-is-falling" comments.

We're still in first place ... get a grip.

Reds
06-16-2010, 07:33 AM
crazy talk. we could play 5 games over .500 the rest of the year and get 92 wins. we need to work out the bullpen situation but I think options are being explored.

bounty37h
06-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Hows the weather your way, fair you say?

gilpdawg
06-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Not many moves out there to make in early June. I say this every year. You aren't going to get any bullpen help right now without highly overpaying. The trade market just hasn't started yet. It's too early. I would say Arizona has started selling early, but their bullpen is pretty bad as well, so no real help there, unless Heilmann can be had for a song.

Vottomatic
06-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Definitely a panic post out of frustration.

But I am starting to wonder if we can't compete against the better teams. We just look sick lately.

brm7675
06-16-2010, 10:44 AM
How did the Cards look against the Dodgers or Padres?

bgwilly31
06-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Thats an excuse post^^^^ Just because they suck doesnt mean we can suck and its ok.

brm7675
06-16-2010, 11:13 AM
No what i am saying is that right now those teams are better then both us and the Cards.

Thats an excuse post^^^^ Just because they suck doesnt mean we can suck and its ok.

bgwilly31
06-16-2010, 12:36 PM
No what i am saying is that right now those teams are better then both us and the Cards.

yes

Vottomatic
06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm going to be Captain Obvious when I say it's just frustrating to be in first place, and realize you're one of the weaker first place teams in mlb.

Wish our bullpen was pitching like last year. Wish our offense could muster some hits and runs against a good pitcher from time to time.

Basically we're beating up on the bad teams and struggling against the teams we might see in the postseason.

texasdave
06-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm going to be Captain Obvious when I say it's just frustrating to be in first place, and realize you're one of the weaker first place teams in mlb.

It wasn't that long ago that the Reds were one of the weaker fifth-place teams in MLB. I'd call that progress.

Vottomatic
06-16-2010, 01:05 PM
It wasn't that long ago that the Reds were one of the weaker fifth-place teams in MLB. I'd call that progress.

I prefer the glass half empty. :D

I know. Patience grasshopper. This may be the precursor to many good years ahead. I've enjoyed the rebuilding journey so far..........I need to remember where we once were.

brm7675
06-16-2010, 01:09 PM
I am not sure if you have noticed or not, but right now pitching is dominating baseball. Look around at the quality games we are seeing and such, right now pitching is leaps ahead of the hitting. We have made a major step this season so far, i think some people got wide eyed and forgot how young this team is and some of the holes it has. From the start I felt that this team could post 85-90 wins and maybe contend for the WC, which right now they are doing, but I had no expecations of continued success once we were in the playoffs.

Wish our bullpen was pitching like last year. Wish our offense could muster some hits and runs against a good pitcher from time to time.

Basically we're beating up on the bad teams and struggling against the teams we might see in the postseason.

muddie
06-16-2010, 01:28 PM
The Reds are ahead of what I expected to this point. Before the season started I thought this team had a shot at the wild card, I still do. The thing that has surprised me this year, to the downside I might add, is the minor league system of the Reds. I would have thought there would have been more to pool from when things got a little rough than there may actually be. I think patience has got to be a part of any fans equation right now.

I think these guys are going to have to give Wood a chance. It would give the rotation a southpaw which I like as well. Chapman will happen eventually but I always thought the anticipation of him being the savior this year was premature and am glad he is still in Louisville. The Reds are halfway through June and in first place. Try to keep things in perspective and enjoy the good stuff to date.

1990REDS
06-16-2010, 04:38 PM

gotta stay posotive man. first place is first place regardless of strenth of division. I went back through the message board and its funny how all of the "sky is falling" threads seem to show up on the day after Harang pitches. Coinsidence? I think not. We also struggle against good teams and good pitchers because thier good. We are much improved this year but were still not the big red machine. We not gonna have a .750 winning% against the top teams in the league.

redhat
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM
first place is first place regardless of strenth of division.
Best comment of the thread. Doesn't matter what your W/L record is as long as you get into the playoffs.

Anything can happen in October. 2006 Cards finished the season 83-78 and won it all. You can beat superior teams (like the '06 Mets & Tigers) by getting random contributions from unexpected places. So Taguchi and Yadier Molina hit late homers to win the Mets series. Rag arm Jeff Weaver pitched out of his mind, David frikkin Eckstein morphed into a clutch hitter, and Tiger pitchers forgot how to throw to the bases.

1990REDS
06-16-2010, 06:02 PM
I believe the cards lost a game in june that year like 20-6 to the white sox. Point being even world series winning teams are gonna get thier a**es handed to them a couple times a year over 162 games. Its hard to play great baseball over that long of a period.

redhat
06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Mulder pitched that loss. Turned out he'd been injured and was hiding it from the club.

Griffey012
06-16-2010, 10:19 PM
I believe the cards lost a game in june that year like 20-6 to the white sox. Point being even world series winning teams are gonna get thier a**es handed to them a couple times a year over 162 games. Its hard to play great baseball over that long of a period.

It's very tough to stay up right now, because we have all seen the June swoon before and know of our constant struggles against the Cards and Dodgers. I am nearly 100% positive and try to look at the good in most all situations involving the Reds. But man, it is though to not start wondering and getting worried right now.

Roush's socks
06-16-2010, 11:34 PM
The Reds have options. Wood will get a chance at some point, and Maloney could also start some games. Volquez could be back in the rotation by the end of the year if the Reds are still contending. And of course Chapman will get some burn at some point unless he really struggles in Louisville. Bottom line- Reds will probably stay within the organization.

On the other hand, if they have the chance to pick up an established starter through trade that would be great.

Reds
06-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Anything can happen in October. 2006 Cards finished the season 83-78 and won it all.

Anything can happen. The Dodgers won the World Series in the 50's or 60's with a combined batting average of something like .235, so strange things do happen.