PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Designate Akinori Iwamura For Assignment

savafan
06-16-2010, 04:47 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/pirates-designate-akinori-iwamura-for-assignment.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

reds1869
06-16-2010, 06:16 PM
If Aki can be picked up for league minimum, he wouldn't be a bad guy to have coming off the bench. He has played terribly this year but still has real value if his knee can hold up.

Mario-Rijo
06-16-2010, 06:48 PM
If Aki can be picked up for league minimum, he wouldn't be a bad guy to have coming off the bench. He has played terribly this year but still has real value if his knee can hold up.

I can see this being a really shrewd deal for the bench potentially, don't know the Reds will though what with the knee.

11larkin11
06-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Adding Alvarez to McCutchen, and the Pirates continue towards respectablility.

Homer Bailey
06-16-2010, 07:06 PM
The last time I checked, he had a horribly unfortunate BABIP despite a solid line drive rate. I can't check it from my phone right now. Does this still ring true?

Tom Servo
06-16-2010, 07:18 PM
I'd pick him up on the cheap, to spell BP a bit and provide something off the bench (likely with more consistency then Cairo or Janish).

Benihana
06-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Adding Alvarez to McCutchen, and the Pirates continue towards respectablility.

McCutchen and Alvarez are two of the more exciting young players in the game. If they can sign Tallion and Allie, I'll be impressed, although knowing the Pirates McCutchen and Alvarez will be long gone by the time the two young pitchers are ready for the big leagues.

As per the topic of this thread, I'm not interested in Iwamura. I think Valaika or Sutton could provide a similar level of production for cheap, with youth and upside on their side.

Mario-Rijo
06-16-2010, 08:57 PM
McCutchen and Alvarez are two of the more exciting young players in the game. If they can sign Tallion and Allie, I'll be impressed, although knowing the Pirates McCutchen and Alvarez will be long gone by the time the two young pitchers are ready for the big leagues.

As per the topic of this thread, I'm not interested in Iwamura. I think Valaika or Sutton could provide a similar level of production for cheap, with youth and upside on their side.

There is something to be said for experience, but I do think value wise Sutton could be more valuable. Although only due to the injury Iwamura has, if not then Iwamura on the cheap would be extremely wise.

Cedric
06-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Iwamaru was the single worst position player I have seen this year.

And I'm counting Corky in that mix.

CarolinaRedleg
06-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Can he pitch?

nemesis
06-17-2010, 10:10 AM
The Pirates are starting to field an exciting team if these prospects live up to thier respective draft positions.

1B - Jones
2B - Walker
3B - Alvarez
SS - Cedeno
OF - Milledge
OF - Tabata
OF - McCutchen
C - Doumit

And guys like LaRoche, Church, Crosby coming off the bench not a bad young team. WOuld be better if Clement could live up to the talent and be their 1B with Jones taking Milledge's place but a fun team to watch now all of a sudden.

Redsfan320
06-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Can he play anywhere besides 2nd? I know he played 3rd in Japan, but can he still play there? Or anywhere else in the IF?