PDA

View Full Version : The real reason for the terrible homestand

NeilHamburger
06-17-2010, 02:10 AM
It's not the bullpen. It's the terrible starting pitching.

So far on this homestand the Reds have played 9 games. They've gotten 2 quality starts. Think about that for a second. Honestly, I don't see how they stay over .500 much longer. I think this coming road trip puts them down to about .500, and it goes from there.

How about we trade for 5 starters, and 6 bullpen arms. Then we can be contenders.

bshall2105
06-17-2010, 02:28 AM
Hey the offense hasn't been good at all either. Aside from that 11 run outburst aginst Bannister we've been held to lower than 4 runs in what seems like almost every game this past week. Basically the whole team has been awful and it does indeed look like a terrible rest of June is ahead.

NeilHamburger
06-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Think about this, they go out west and play the Mariners and Oakland. The Mariners seem easy until you realize they face both Cliff Lee and Felix Hernandez in the 3 game set, in pitcher friendly Safeco Park. I think 2-4 or 1-5 is how they'll finish up the road trip.

bshall2105
06-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Think about this, they go out west and play the Mariners and Oakland. The Mariners seem easy until you realize they face both Cliff Lee and Felix Hernandez in the 3 game set, in pitcher friendly Safeco Park. I think 2-4 or 1-5 is how they'll finish up the road trip.

Yeah, it would not surprise me if we get shut down in both of the Lee and Hernandez games. It seems like we sorta live and die off the home run, that's not going to get us any wins in these ballparks. I don't have any stats to back that up, but I've seen the Reds struggle to manufacture runs. Like today when Gomes led off with a double, two batters later he's still at second with 2 out and the 8 hitter coming up. That's just not winning baseball.

texasdave
06-17-2010, 02:45 AM

Reds win at least four out of six. :beerme:

bshall2105
06-17-2010, 02:49 AM

Do they beat Lee, Hernandez, or both?

Sean_CaseyRules
06-17-2010, 02:49 AM

That's my prediction!
:beerme:

texasdave
06-17-2010, 03:09 AM
It's a big ballpark and I think Cueto outduels Lee. Big ballpark and lousy offense. Cueto should be up to the task.

arkimadee
06-17-2010, 04:17 AM
I agree. We need another stretch like we had in May. I think it will eventually happen. I think it may be time in the near future to bring Chapman up.. The time is NOW! Let's take this division

Vottomatic
06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
The Reds hitters aren't coming up with the big hits they were getting earlier in the season.

TheBigLebowski
06-17-2010, 08:42 AM
I am really concerned about this team right now.

How many times do we go out west on a road trip and come back happy? Almost never.

The bully is in shambles and our starters blow right now. This division has never been more winnable but we're smack-dab in the middle of a June Swoon.

Fon Duc Tow
06-17-2010, 09:31 AM
The real reason for the terrible homestand is that the Reds are just average. They have squeaked out a number of one-run games, and have had more calls go their way than not.

Sure, every once in a while, the low rollers will win against the high rollers. But for the most part, the big boys whip up on the little guys.

The Reds are better this year than we have seen in a while. They might win 85 games. Which, for this market and this payroll, is quite a feat.

...but the only reason we are tied for first is because the Cards are struggling. Really, we should be 3 or 4 games back with our record.

It is nice to still have a reason to cheer for the playoffs at this point. But the Reds are a paper tiger. And they don't have the payroll (depth) to be anything other.

arkimadee
06-17-2010, 09:39 AM
The real reason for the terrible homestand is that the Reds are just average. They have squeaked out a number of one-run games, and have had more calls go their way than not.

Sure, every once in a while, the low rollers will win against the high rollers. But for the most part, the big boys whip up on the little guys.

The Reds are better this year than we have seen in a while. They might win 85 games. Which, for this market and this payroll, is quite a feat.

...but the only reason we are tied for first is because the Cards are struggling. Really, we should be 3 or 4 games back with our record.

It is nice to still have a reason to cheer for the playoffs at this point. But the Reds are a paper tiger. And they don't have the payroll (depth) to be anything other.
couldn't have said it any better myself

texasdave
06-17-2010, 09:44 AM
The Reds pitching has a chance to get well in a hurry. They are facing two below average offenses in Seattle and Oakland. Oakland is scoring around 4 runs a game and Seattle just around 3 and a half. And these teams use the DH. I see a ton of close, low-scoring games. Rhodes and Cordero are rested and ready. I see dead people. No, wait. I see four wins, at least.

texasdave
06-17-2010, 09:47 AM

The Reds have a number of players on the DL and in the minors that can contribute in the second half while adding very little payroll. Bray, Burton, Volquez, Hanigan, Dickerson, Chapman, Wood, Maloney, Sutton, Valaika. Certainly not all will contribute, but you figure a few of them will.

flash
06-17-2010, 10:19 AM
It is not the pitching , it is the catching.

webbbj
06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
i wouldnt panic just quite yet ur not just gonna roll through a season without a few bumpy roads along the way. im not saying this a team that is just struggling and they will getting rolling again soon like they did in may but i would say every team has one of those months where they play below avg. unless ur one of those mariners or yankees teams that wins 110+ games

webbbj
06-17-2010, 10:44 AM
the reds have played a lot of games outside the division lately and we have a very good record against the division and we got a lot of those games coming after interleague play.

Vottomatic
06-17-2010, 04:06 PM

Wrong-o. It's the cathing, not the catching. I read it in another thread.

ThornWithin81
06-17-2010, 04:14 PM
With Volquez coming back into the fold sooner than later I'm not particularly worried, at least not yet.

We're having a rough patch. Cincinnati still leads the division. I'll take that.

Maker_84
06-17-2010, 04:47 PM

I couldn't agree more unfortunately. Anytime we play a team with a pulse we get pounded. If it wasn't for LA using their D lineup against us today we probably would have lost again

1990REDS
06-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Against the "better" teams in the NL (cards, dodgers, padres, mets, braves, giants) we are 13-17 on the year. That number has to really improve if were gonna make any noise in the NL for the rest of the year.

Kingspoint
06-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Bronson took command like the "Ace of the Staff" that he is.

He won the game single-handedly.

jnewm777
06-17-2010, 10:25 PM
The Reds are 7-10 since Hannigan went on the DL. I'd love to see some before and after pitching comparisons because I think you're probably right.

Red in Atl
06-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Against the "better" teams in the NL (cards, dodgers, padres, mets, braves, giants) we are 13-17 on the year. That number has to really improve if were gonna make any noise in the NL for the rest of the year.

Yes but we should be 15-15. Should have won both Braves games.

Seriously, if Cabrera is hurting, they should let him DH for the next week, and heel up. Janish should play the field.

texasdave
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM

Seriously, if Cabrera is hurting, they should let him DH for the next week, and heel up. Janish should play the field.

Cabrera now OPSing .646 overall, .585 in June, .556 against righthanders. That is Willy Taveras territory. He seems to be wearing down. But, don't worry, Dusty will continue to play him to death, the whole time complaining that he needs to get OCab more rest.

1990REDS
06-17-2010, 10:52 PM

ya but it works both ways. we won our fair share of games coming from behind and wining in the 9th, not to mention that "sunday special" lineup the dodgers trotted out today. We could very easily have won only 9 of those games. The records are what they are regardless of how they were won or lost.

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Cabrera now OPSing .646 overall, .585 in June, .556 against righthanders. That is Willy Taveras territory. He seems to be wearing down. But, don't worry, Dusty will continue to play him to death, the whole time complaining that he needs to get OCab more rest.

It's also Juan Duran territory.