PDA

View Full Version : It is not the pitching, it is the cathing.

flash
06-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Since Hannigan went down the Reds are 6-9

They have scored only 77 runs. Less than 5 a game.

Pitching has given up 92 runs. Almost 6 a game.

I don't know what the comparative stats are overall between Hannigan and Hernandez, but the current trend is clear.

GET WELL SOON, RYAN. tHE REDS NEED YOU.

bgwilly31
06-17-2010, 11:03 AM
I knew and said when hanigan went down we were in for a drought.

Hanigan was a sparkplug for this team offensively. And defensively he's just as good if not better than Fatty hernandez.

Please get well soon hanigan and come back hot as ever.

bgwilly31
06-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Hanigan was a sparkplug for this team offensively. And defensively he's just as good if not better than Fatty hernandez.

GIDP
06-17-2010, 11:12 AM
what is cathing

bounty37h
06-17-2010, 11:34 AM
loose term for one who has a catheder in place? "Yeah, I have a bladder infection, went to the Dr this morning, they got me cathing until it gets better".

GIDP
06-17-2010, 11:35 AM
rofl

bshall2105
06-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Just as good if not better? Hernandez is an average defensive catcher at best, while you could argue Hanigan is the top defensive catcher in the game. We need Hanigan back and starting more often than not.

Fon Duc Tow
06-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Well I happen to think the cathing has been just thooper.

ChaseReds
06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Here is the full article that FLASH is referring to:

My opinion? Hanigan is better defensively and offensively. He consistently gives good AB's and, as the article points out, when he calls the game the REDS Pitching staff ERA is 3.77.

Source: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/baseball/reds/reds-lose-to-dodgers,-6-2.-miss-hanigan-more-than-they-know.

CINCINNATI - The loss of catcher Ryan Hanigan has contributed more than any one other factor, in my estimation, to the Reds' June swoon. Tonight's 6-2 loss to the Dodgers is their third straight defeat and 10th in their last 16 games.

How badly do they miss Hanigan? Well, he was hitting .351 as opposed to the .293 average Ramon Hernandez took to work Wednesday night.

But it is his handling of Reds' pitchers that seems to be his absolute strong suit. Statistics cited by Lance McCallister today indicate that with Hanigan behind the plate Cincinnati pitchers have a collective. 3.77 earned run average. Corky Miller sports a 3.79. While with Hernandez doing the catch, Reds pitchers are 5.25.

As for pure wins and losses; before Hanigan went on the DL May 29th with a broken hand, the Reds were 30-20. Since then, they are 7-10.

And I'm not the only one who thinks team chemistry was seriously bruised Saturday night when four Reds hitters were battered by Royals pitches in the course of their 11-5 win over Kansas City. No less than Pete Rose questioned the teams' grit to a Reds source, who lamented the fact that there was no retribution by any Reds pitchers after Saturdays welt-fest, that saw Jonny Gomes hit twice. Sunday the Royals came back and hung the first of three straight losses on Cincinnati 7-2. Gallingly, not one Kansas City batter got his uniform dirty.

Reds pitchers have never pitched opposing hitters tight. And that philosophy or policy or view of how the game is played now, as opposed to how it should be played, could well serve to derail their post season plans for this season. Unless they get p_ssed _ff and brush back some opposing batters.

Dusty Baker got thrown out of tonights' game, but only after Scott Rolen had been tossed. Rolen will be ejected again before the seasons over. I wouldn't count on Baker being dusted again anytime soon. He's a wine lover. Rolen, a beer drinker.

Their lone saving grace, the Cardinals keep losing. Seattle eked out a 2-1 win Wednesday night, so Cincinnati and St. Louis remain tied for the division lead.

RedsFanInBama
06-17-2010, 03:24 PM
How did Hanigan hurt himself again? Was he sliding head first?

Vottomatic
06-17-2010, 03:34 PM
I blame it on the cathing too. Bad cathing is not a good thing. But bad pithing can hurt you too. And a bad trow can allow a guy to score.

Vottomatic
06-17-2010, 03:36 PM

I think he hurt it cathing.

GIDP
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM

He hurt it sliding into second, but it was not a head first slide.

bounty37h
06-17-2010, 03:52 PM
^if he was cathing, I hope it wasnt head first!

brachial pleXUs
06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Ouch!http://www.sciencedaily.com/images/2008/01/080103090647-large.jpg

Kingspoint
06-17-2010, 05:49 PM
You just can't remove a guy who was batting .351, with a ridiculous On-Base-% of .468, and acting like Superman in the clutch (1.767 OPS w/ 2 outs and RISP) (1.444 OPS w/ RISP in all out situations), and not have a dropoff in the overall win-loss category....especially when it seems that he has a better effect on the pitching than his Catching counterpart does.

texasdave
06-17-2010, 05:52 PM
I am just hoping the rest of the team doesn't cath whatever put Hanigan on the DL.

flash
06-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Looking at the schedule I would say Hannigan won't be back until the Cleveland series at least. Louisville is at home next week so he could do rehab time there. I doubt he will be on the flight to Seattle.

Kingspoint
06-17-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm thinking Cleveland, too.

Vottomatic
06-17-2010, 07:43 PM
I think I'm cathing a cold.

sabometrics
06-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Just as good if not better? Hernandez is an average defensive catcher at best, while you could argue Hanigan is the top defensive catcher in the game. We need Hanigan back and starting more often than not.

Theres no arguing. Yadier Molina owns that title and its not even a contest. I won't deny this team does seem to excel with Hanigan healthy and playing regularly though. Can't wait to have him back.

bshall2105
06-18-2010, 03:10 AM
Theres no arguing. Yadier Molina owns that title and its not even a contest. I won't deny this team does seem to excel with Hanigan healthy and playing regularly though. Can't wait to have him back.

I'm just trying to make it clear Hanigan is a great defensive catcher. I go a little overboard sometimes.

Vottomatic
06-18-2010, 03:12 AM
So Yadier Molina is a better cather than Hanigan? :D

bshall2105
06-18-2010, 03:18 AM
So Yadier Molina is a better cather than Hanigan? :D

Defensively yes. All around it's a toss up, I love what Hanigan brings to the team and can't complain one bit about him.
Missed a letter my bad.

Vottomatic
06-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Defensively yes. All around it's a toss up, I love what Hanigan brings to the team and can't complain one bit about him.

I think you missed my running joke.

Cathing?

Go to bed young man. Why are you up so late?

Good night. :p:

bshall2105
06-18-2010, 03:28 AM
I think you missed my running joke.

Cathing?

Go to bed young man. Why are you up so late?

Good night. :p:

It's summer pops, mommy said I can stay up late tonight.

Vottomatic
06-18-2010, 09:00 AM
It's summer pops, mommy said I can stay up late tonight.

Oh....okay then. She's the boss. :D