PDA

View Full Version : MLB.tv

thatcoolguy_22
06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Worst service ever.

How can an entire site that is devoted to broadcasting major league games be out of service so much? 1 in 3 games I get the notice "This game is temporarily unavailable, Please try again in a few moments."

Seriously, people get paid to maintain this and are horrible at their job. I live in Korea so I have no other option, but wow. This is a ridiculously bad website.

boo

Brutus
06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Worst service ever.

How can an entire site that is devoted to broadcasting major league games be out of service so much? 1 in 3 games I get the notice "This game is temporarily unavailable, Please try again in a few moments."

Seriously, people get paid to maintain this and are horrible at their job. I live in Korea so I have no other option, but wow. This is a ridiculously bad website.

boo

I get that error now and again, but not as often as that. My issue, although I still love the service, is that despite a pretty solid broadband connection, I get a jerky stream (though the quality of the picture is otherwise good) -- especially in HD.

pedro
06-17-2010, 01:08 PM
This is the time all year I've had an issue and I use it every day.

pedro
06-17-2010, 01:09 PM
My stream and picture are usually good, without being jerky, even over wireless.

Ghosts of 1990
06-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah it's pretty bad. Definitely not worth the near $100 that they charge. My friend got it for $19.99 for the year and gave me his log in and password so I just use it all the time.

Best service on there is actually MLB.com Gameday. It is really great.

pedro
06-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I disagree completely. Totally worth the $100.

I can listen to and watch games on my iphone wherever I am at and can also watch on my computer wherever I am at and can hook the computer up to the tv if I want.

I thinking it's great.

thatcoolguy_22
06-17-2010, 01:19 PM
In theory the service is great... In actuality it rarely works live. I even have trouble watching the archived games. Today is a prime example for me. I'm reading the game on the game thread and on espn.com. Monopolies are bad

Ghosts of 1990
06-17-2010, 01:20 PM
I disagree completely. Totally worth the $100.

I can listen to and watch games on my iphone wherever I am at and can also watch on my computer wherever I am at and can hook the computer up to the tv if I want.

I thinking it's great.

I like the Radio, and even though it's on delay its nice to have at the gym.

If you're gonna watch a game 'live' it can't be the Reds b/c they're blacked out. I guess if you're out of state it's nice, but you better have a charger nearby or you'll see about four innings and the iPhone will die.

Unassisted
06-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Streaming video like MLB.TV is thoroughly dependent on the quality of your connection. If your ISP provides inconsistent bandwidth or if you have lots of competition for your bandwidth either in your neighborhood (cable modem service shares bandwidth across multiple subscribers) or on your own network, you'll get hiccups and glitches in the MLB.TV stream.

In other words, it's probably not MLB.TV's fault, it's your ISP's fault.

pedro
06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
I like the Radio, and even though it's on delay its nice to have at the gym.

If you're gonna watch a game 'live' it can't be the Reds b/c they're blacked out. I guess if you're out of state it's nice, but you better have a charger nearby or you'll see about four innings and the iPhone will die.

I am out of state, plus if your a baseball fan, not just a reds fan, there are hundreds of other games to listen too. True about the iphone battery though. Honestly, I don't watch whole games on the phone, much, only a few times when I was in a hotel.

RedsManRick
06-17-2010, 01:29 PM
It's really your cable/internet provider as often as it is MLB. Live HD video is extremely bandwidth intensive and lag sensitive.

Some ISPs dynamically throttle bandwidth to discourage heavy users. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it, but it might be worth a call.

I watch it both on my computer and through my PS3, and the internet feed is almost always better than the cable feed, for whatever that's worth.

thatcoolguy_22
06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
In other words, it's probably not MLB.TV's fault, it's your ISP's fault.

I live in a land where fiber optics is the norm. It's very much mlb's fault. The entire infrastructure here changes as technology evolves. The service is poor to trash.

pedro
06-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I live in a land where fiber optics is the norm. It's very much mlb's fault. The entire infrastructure here changes as technology evolves. The service is poor to trash.

sorry it's not working for you well. I think it's generally fabulous and have little to no problems.

Unassisted
06-17-2010, 05:09 PM
I live in a land where fiber optics is the norm. It's very much mlb's fault. The entire infrastructure here changes as technology evolves. The service is poor to trash.In your case, the MLB packets travel across the ocean through thousands of miles of infrastructure that MLB has zero control over. Edge servers would be a solution, but I doubt that MLB is particularly interested in spending millions to put edge servers in Asia to serve what is probably no more than a few thousand streaming users there. The profit doesn't justify the investment.

BCubb2003
06-17-2010, 05:38 PM
It works fine for me on an iPad on home broadband, although it stutters a couple of times in the late innings. The live video doesn't last very long when I'm trying to use a 3g signal. It's amazing how far we've come since I was a kid with a transister radio and a dying battery trying to get the game in southeastern Ohio.

redsfan1966
06-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Anyone bite on the $4.99 for 30 days Fathers Day special for mlb.tv? I did, and have enjoyed it...

Homer Bailey
06-19-2010, 06:45 PM
I have mlb.tv, and I think it has improved greatly since last year. There used to be a huge delay, now there is basically none.

Is it possible to watch games live on my blackberry?

Razor Shines
06-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I've had it for 4 years and I think this is the best year ever for it. I occasionally have issues with archived games not being available at the right time, but as far as quality goes, it's outstanding. Watching on the PS3 is better than I would have imagined it could be. Well worth the money, IMO.