PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Jones admits he is likely to retire at season's end

Benihana
06-17-2010, 06:25 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/chipper-jones-leaning-toward-retirement.html

First ballot?

BoydsOfSummer
06-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Bet he doesn't.

Tornon
06-17-2010, 06:48 PM
First ballot?

I think it will take him a couple tries

dougdirt
06-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Absolutely would be a first ballot guy in my book. Just look at the numbers.

Rojo
06-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Short some magic numbers but my guess is first ballot. The Hall will probably bend over backwards to elect guys who aren't PED-tainted.

pedro
06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Chipper is a clear Hall of Famer.

To me, a guy either is or isn't. All this first ballot shenanigans is just writers trying to inflate their own importance.

Brutus
06-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Bet he doesn't.

Chipper is usually a straight shooter. He could change his mind, certainly, but if he says he's likely to retire, I'd expect that he will.

OnBaseMachine
06-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Chipper is clearly a Hall of Famer, IMO.

WMR
06-17-2010, 09:42 PM
The tides of time stop for no man.

Always Red
06-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Chipper is a clear Hall of Famer.

To me, a guy either is or isn't. All this first ballot shenanigans is just writers trying to inflate their own importance.

A HoF'er is a Hof F'er.

1st ballot, 2nd ballot, unanimous, whatever. It matters not.

If you are in the Hall, you are equal with all in Valhalla.

Cyclone792
06-17-2010, 09:57 PM
The dude is probably one of the four or five greatest third basemen ever. If that's not first ballot, I don't know what is.

edabbs44
06-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Bet he doesn't.

50/50 he pulls a Favre. Said he doesn't want to talk about it until after the season out of respect for Bobby Cox yet has a press conference today.

1st ballot definitely but I can see this going the way of Farv-re.

jojo
06-17-2010, 10:44 PM
The dude is probably one of the four or five greatest third basemen ever. If that's not first ballot, I don't know what is.

Ya.

cumberlandreds
06-18-2010, 07:57 AM
HOF, no doubt. It's hard to believe he's ready for retirement. I can remember the TBS announcers back in the day talking about this kid coming up from the minors and were hoping he could make a big impact. I think he actually lost what would have been his rookie season to a broken leg or something like that and had to start his career a year later. Like someone else said, Time waits on no one.

Roy Tucker
06-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Yep, clear HoF'er in my book. As much as I don't like the Braves, Jones has been one heckuva player. Drilled the Reds through the '90's and 00's on many occasions.

Early on in his first few years, he wore the high socks look. I heard a heckler once say "Chipper Jones, you've got bad socks!!". One of the few times I saw a player respond to a heckler and laugh.

redsfandan
06-18-2010, 08:16 AM
He's a 1st ballot guy to me.

I thought I heard that he was trying to see what kind of financial agreement he can come to with the Braves (since there's 2 years/$28M+ left on his contract).

savafan
06-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Definite Hall of Famer, and perhaps the last to play his entire career with the same team (?), and definitely one of the few major leaguers ever to play his entire career for one manager.

Benihana
06-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Definite Hall of Famer, and perhaps the last to play his entire career with the same team (?), and definitely one of the few major leaguers ever to play his entire career for one manager.

I think Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada would have something to say about that.

Kevin Youkilis, Lance Berkman, and Joe Mauer may (or may not) also end up fitting the bill.

nemesis
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
His numbers are incredible. Taking into account he is a switch hitter, it makes them all that more impressive. Top 3 or 4 switch hitter in history. That itself makes him a HOF.

nemesis
06-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Any chance he steps straight off the field right into the managers position soon to be open?

savafan
06-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I think Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada would have something to say about that.

Kevin Youkilis, Lance Berkman, and Joe Mauer may (or may not) also end up fitting the bill.

I said "perhaps". These guys' careers aren't over yet. Sure, it'd be odd seeing Jeter or Posada in a different uniform, but it could happen.

cumberlandreds
06-18-2010, 12:09 PM

I don't know if any HOF has ever played for just one manager. That's really remarkable!

RedsBaron
06-18-2010, 04:58 PM
He's a certain Hall of Famer, barring some unlikely development ( I say that given some of the surprising scandals in recent years, though I have no reason to expect any scandal with Jones). Whether or not he goes in on the first ballot depends upon who else is on the ballot that year, since the media voters usually elect no more than two or three players a year.
His HOF Monitor Score is 162, well above the 100 score of the average member of the HOF.
I'm trying to think of how many third basemen would rank ahead of Jones all time. Mike Schmidt, Eddie Mathews and George Brett obviously. After that I'm not sure of who I would put ahead of him. Jones clearly is in the top ten, maybe the top five, of all of the third basemen in history, and IIRC third base is the least represented position in the HOF.

Raisor
06-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Any chance he steps straight off the field right into the managers position soon to be open?

Rumors here in Atlanta say that it's going to be Freddy Gonzalaz Eddie Perez, or Terry Pendelton taking over for Bobby.