PDA

View Full Version : Janish should ask for release

brm7675
06-18-2010, 10:14 AM
If I was Paul Janish I would go to Walt and ask for my release. I have a great glove, can play multiple positions and while not great at the plate, I am serviceable and yet I can't smell any playing time with the Reds even with this happening:

""Shortstop Orlando Cabrera said after Thursday’s game he has been dealt with a sprained ankle since early June, when the Reds visited Washington.

“Every day it’s a struggle, but I can still play,” Cabrera said."

Why not rest him and give Janish some playing time? It's not like Cabrera is hitting the cover off the ball.

arkimadee
06-18-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't see the big deal about Janish. Who cares how much playing time he gets. His defense is great, his batting is subpar. It's not like you see Cabrera making alot of miscues in the field. I think Janish should get to play more but I don't really care either way. In my opinion we are a much better team with a sprained Cabrera than a healthy Janish in the lineup. Can't complain about the result of being in first place.

GIDP
06-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't see the big deal about Janish. Who cares how much playing time he gets. His defense is great, his batting is subpar. It's not like you see Cabrera making alot of miscues in the field. I think Janish should get to play more but I don't really care either way. In my opinion we are a much better team with a sprained Cabrera than a healthy Janish in the lineup. Can't complain about the result of being in first place.

Cabrera's bat isnt exactly amazing either. .255/.294/.351. Janish might not have as good of a bat as Cabrera but its hard to be much worse.

I think Janish on the field is a more valuable guy, but maybe in the club house Cabrera brings a little more. I dont care which one plays that much but over the course of the season I wouldnt be surprised if Janish is a more valuable player.

bgwilly31
06-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Quit whining about janish's playing time. Sheesh. He's a back-up player on a winning team.

He would be lucky to start for any team out there right now. Im sure hes perfectly fine with where he is at. If cabrera gets injured we have a good SS to back him up. Thats the point of keeping janish.

brm7675
06-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Sorry but for Dusty to continually run Orlando out there when he is hurt and thus hurting the team is not sound managing. Anyone who is 'okay' with that baffles me. The objective is to put the best 8 players on the field on a daily basis, and right now, with Orlando not producing at the plate, his liability in the field is costing this team games. Go with the better defender until Orlando is 100% and can cover his poor fielding with a decent to good bat.

lidspinner
06-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Quit whining about janish's playing time. Sheesh. He's a back-up player on a winning team.

He would be lucky to start for any team out there right now. Im sure hes perfectly fine with where he is at. If cabrera gets injured we have a good SS to back him up. Thats the point of keeping janish.

thats the complaint...and a viable one at that. if Janish is the backup, then we all think that the starter should at least be heads above the backup....and OC is not....I see balls go through the 5-6 hole every night that I think should be caught. If OC is going to continue to slap the AVG around .250 then I see no reason why Janish is not out there given his better glove......if OC hits .280 then I see the point, but that is not happening and OC is hurt.....

no one is saying that Paul janish is the next comming of Derek Jeter, but geesh, what does he have to do to get in the lineup for a week straight?

Hey if we are winning, then I am all for what works...but when things start going south is when us fans get to pick apart the team and act like we know more than Dusty.....and I am convinced some on this site truly know more than Dusty.....keep winning and we are all good

Jack Burton
06-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I'd rather Janish start. At least equal bat and loads better on the defensive equation.

brm7675
06-18-2010, 12:06 PM
The sad thing about this is, janish is a good player, who has done nothing wrong and doesn't deserve to be the bat boy on this team. Also, Dusty's refusal to give him or Chris H playing time means this team is playing with a roster basically of 23 players while other teams have 25. I would love for one of the Reds beat writers to confront Dusty on this and force him to come out and say he hates Janish and other bench players and if allowed would only play starters, because if you look at his history he is that way.

bgwilly31
06-18-2010, 12:33 PM
thats the complaint...and a viable one at that. if Janish is the backup, then we all think that the starter should at least be heads above the backup....and OC is not....I see balls go through the 5-6 hole every night that I think should be caught. If OC is going to continue to slap the AVG around .250 then I see no reason why Janish is not out there given his better glove......if OC hits .280 then I see the point, but that is not happening and OC is hurt.....

no one is saying that Paul janish is the next comming of Derek Jeter, but geesh, what does he have to do to get in the lineup for a week straight?

Hey if we are winning, then I am all for what works...but when things start going south is when us fans get to pick apart the team and act like we know more than Dusty.....and I am convinced some on this site truly know more than Dusty.....keep winning and we are all good

OC is in a slight slump. The only way you get out of it is to keep on hitting.

So should we sit votto when he is way in a slump over the past week or so>? I think his avg. dropped 30 points.

Janish has shown he's a .250 or worse hitter. OC has a career avg of around .300.

OC will come around and his glove is not as bad everybody makes it out to be. he's proven that and some people that were calling him washed up in the beginning of the year are still trying to harp on that. Just to save their prediction.

brm7675
06-18-2010, 12:41 PM
No OC is in a slump because he is not 100%. Have you ever had a sprained ankle? What cures a sprained ankle? Rest, not continue use of it. So intestead we continue to put him out there, the ankle continues to be an issue and his 'slump' continues and we continue to struggle at the leadoff spot and defensivly on the left side of the field. Boy now if that's not smark baseball I don't know what is.:confused:

No his glove isn't the issue, it's his range, and wow he is playing the position that requires the most range in the infield and he is already OLD and now he is OLD and Injuried...yep good baseball there...:thumbdown

FDN

OC is in a slight slump. The only way you get out of it is to keep on hitting.

So should we sit votto when he is way in a slump over the past week or so>? I think his avg. dropped 30 points.

Janish has shown he's a .250 or worse hitter. OC has a career avg of around .300.

OC will come around and his glove is not as bad everybody makes it out to be. he's proven that and some people that were calling him washed up in the beginning of the year are still trying to harp on that. Just to save their prediction.

PhillipsHead
06-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Janish starts for MAYBE 3 major league teams...

BigPoppa
06-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I think after the ASB, we'll see Janish get some more starts to spell Rolen and OCab

Vottomatic
06-18-2010, 12:52 PM
I think OCab's batting average is dropping because of his hurt ankle. Agree that if he's going to bat .250 instead of .280, that it's no offensive loss to play Janish over OCab. But the defensive improvement is SUBSTANTIAL. Janish makes plays that make me believe he may be the best defensive SS in MLB right now. If he has a miscue in the field, I chalk it up to not playing enough and being rusty. But more often than not he impresses me on the defensive end.

No reason Janish shouldn't start for 2 or 3 or maybe even a week to give OCab a chance to get healthy.

Frankly, I'm shocked that people on this board are siding with keeping OCab playing while he's hurt. That's just stupid, stupid managing right there. Add that to the long list of Dusty's dumb moves.

And recapping, OCab's batting average has dropped from around .280 to .250 while hurt. Remember that before commenting any further.

davereds24
06-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I heard Janish will replace Leake in the rotation in late August.

brm7675
06-18-2010, 12:57 PM
There is zero logical or baseball sense in why you would play a player who has stated he is in pain and the pain is an ankle and range and motion is HUGE in the position he plays and the ability to be productive at the plate. No one is saying remove OC for the remainder of the season and never play him again, what is being said is sit him till he is healthy, then put him back in. If Mike Leake said hey my arm hurts when I throw, would everyone here say, "Suck it up, keep pitching and don't worry about the pain".

Vottomatic
06-18-2010, 01:02 PM
There is zero logical or baseball sense in why you would play a player who has stated he is in pain and the pain is an ankle and range and motion is HUGE in the position he plays and the ability to be productive at the plate. No one is saying remove OC for the remainder of the season and never play him again, what is being said is sit him till he is healthy, then put him back in. If Mike Leake said hey my arm hurts when I throw, would everyone here say, "Suck it up, keep pitching and don't worry about the pain".

Exactly. Good post. I agree.

There is absolutely no reason Janish couldn't play for a week to let OCab heal.

No reason BP can't leadoff for a week.

Red in Atl
06-18-2010, 03:34 PM
The Reds must be doing pretty well this year, if the biggest ***** this site has is the lack of playing time for Paul Janish...;)

RedsFanInBama
06-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I didn't know Paul's father posted on the board. Great to have you, Mr. Janish.

Just kidding. I think it would be a good move to rest Cabrera if this ankle really is an issue, although I really don't care one bit how much Janish plays or if he is happy about it.

bgwilly31
06-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I must have missed Ocab's injury when did this happen>?

Vottomatic
06-18-2010, 03:42 PM
I must have missed Ocab's injury when did this happen>?

I think Dusty missed it to. :D

Red in Atl
06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I didn't know Paul's father posted on the board. Great to have you, Mr. Janish.

Just kidding. I think it would be a good move to rest Cabrera if this ankle really is an issue, although I really don't care one bit how much Janish plays or if he is happy about it.

I would use OCab as the DH for the next week, if it's so important to have him at leadoff. Bat Janish 9th and we're good to go.

AintlifeGrande
06-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Production wise like it or not,OC is a big part of that clubhouse in his veteran presence.And him along with Rolen's presence has been the spark for this team.From all the reports I've heard OC is a very vocal leader and will call out a player if he's lagging.There is alot more that goes on team wise than what we see.These guy's are winners and know what it takes to get there.
Janish is lucky to be where he is at,and he ain't stupid to go and ask for his release.Sorry but this is a horrible thread subject wise.

GIDP
06-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I would use OCab as the DH for the next week, if it's so important to have him at leadoff. Bat Janish 9th and we're good to go.

http://www.memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Griffey012
06-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Wasn't there a conversation on here not too long ago ripping Dusty for playing Phillips while Phillips had a mild injury. I believe it was after the game Phillips started cramping. Well we all know how Phillips has been playing recently while battling a mild injury.

COM2010
06-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Frankly, I'm shocked that people on this board are siding with keeping OCab playing while he's hurt. That's just stupid, stupid managing right there. Add that to the long list of Dusty's dumb moves.

But, but ..... didn't you know that it's the cool thing on this forum to run Janish into the ground? Lots of times I see one poster back-hand a player, then a handful of others just repeat the same thing with a variation on the theme.

Agreed, a gimpy OCab is NO BETTER THAN a healthy Janish.

brm7675
06-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Could you please post those wondering numbers OC has posted since hurting his ankle? I mean they are like AA like and not improving. You also have to remember that Phillips plays a position that doesn't require the range or wear on teh body that SS does and that small fact that OC is like AARP age baseball wise and Phillips is still young.

Wasn't there a conversation on here not too long ago ripping Dusty for playing Phillips while Phillips had a mild injury. I believe it was after the game Phillips started cramping. Well we all know how Phillips has been playing recently while battling a mild injury.

malcontent
06-18-2010, 04:41 PM
If cabrera gets injured we have a good SS to back him up. Thats the point of keeping janish.
The point brm7675 is making is that Cabrera is injured, his numbers are declining, probably as a consequence of the injury. So now is the time to let the ankle heal and sub with Janish.

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 04:43 PM
It's not like you see Cabrera making alot of miscues in the field.

You can't make a mistake if you can't get to the ball.

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Over Gomes' bat?

Heisey can lead off. Phillips can lead off. Stubbs can lead off.

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I'd love to see Janish get some consistent playing time.

He is being completely wasted by Baker. Baker hates him for some reason. But, he's a player's coach. Yeah, right.

ILoveWilly
06-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Janish is Juan Castro, except white. That's it.

arkimadee
06-18-2010, 05:26 PM
well maybe we will all get lucky and O Cab quits the team because he is up that he can't get to 99 % of the balls and has a mental breakdown and goes to the crazy house.. They can put him in there with the Joker. Then we would be forced to play Paul Janish every day because he is the love child of Barry Larkin and Ozzie Smith according to this board. The team will go undefeated after this happens and Dusty and all of us will live happy ever after.

If Cabrera was not able to play, I'm sure he wouldn't be playing. I agree with everyone else that Janish should get more playing time but it honestly doesn't bother me that much.

Red in Atl
06-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Over Gomes' bat?

Heisey can lead off. Phillips can lead off. Stubbs can lead off.

I was "thinking" like Dusty. If OCab's really been hurt for awhile, Dusty must have some reason to keep him in there over Janish. At least if he's DH'ing he's not in the field.

BTW, I've been pushing for Brandon to lead off for awhile.

1990REDS
06-18-2010, 05:41 PM
I was "thinking" like Dusty. If OCab's really been hurt for awhile, Dusty must have some reason to keep him in there over Janish. At least if he's DH'ing he's not in the field.

BTW, I've been pushing for Brandon to lead off for awhile.

I dont know about that. I really like Phillips in that 2nd spot.

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Out of the 30 Major League Shortstops who've played at least 250 Innings this season, Cabrera ranks 25th with a UZR/150 of -6.8.

Josh Wilson of Seattle ranks 5th, so you can see this weekend the difference between a good Shortstop and a bad Shortstop. Josh Wilson isn't as good as Janish, either.

(Janish' UZR/150 is 31.8!!!!!, while last year it was 22.7. The guy is a vacuum at Shortstop. He needs to play, especially in the 9th innings, but Baker's a turd.)

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Nobody can say what Janish will do if he was given the chance.

Predicting his future is impossible if he's never been given a chance in the Majors.

It's not important what his overall future is. He only needs to do well over a small run. If given a chance, all players have good months.

What can be counted on is Janish's excellent Defense. This team needs a spark, and his Defense could provide that. Nothing can turn a team around quicker than replacing a bad Shortstop with a great Shortstop.

A great Shortstop makes everybody better. A bad Shortstop makes everybody worse.

Griffey012
06-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Nobody can say what Janish will do if he was given the chance.

Predicting his future is impossible if he's never been given a chance in the Majors.

It's not important what his overall future is. He only needs to do well over a small run. If given a chance, all players have good months.

What can be counted on is Janish's excellent Defense. This team needs a spark, and his Defense could provide that. Nothing can turn a team around quicker than replacing a bad Shortstop with a great Shortstop.

A great Shortstop makes everybody better. A bad Shortstop makes everybody worse.

If nobody can say what Janish will do given the chance than how do we know he is a "great" shortstop?

brm7675
06-18-2010, 06:03 PM
And that is STILL better then OC right now with OC being injuried. So play the better player right now.:cool:

Janish is Juan Castro, except white. That's it.

Kingspoint
06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
If nobody can say what Janish will do given the chance than how do we know he is a "great" shortstop?

Defense doesn't change.

Defense is constant.

I was speaking of Defense in that context only.

lidspinner
06-19-2010, 02:40 PM
bottom line is this....Dusty is not playing the next best option when his "below average" option is hurt....if I am the media, I am ripping him everyday with this question. Janish has the SS area on freaking lockdown when he is there....I dont care if he goes O fer the season, put him out there after OC's last AB in the 7th or 8th innning and allow our team to have a wizard out there for an inning or 2.

And I think Janish is better than Juan Castro on defense....Juan was slick, dont get me wrong, but Janish is on another planet.

AintlifeGrande
06-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Also look at the paycheck OC makes versus Janish.They don't pay em good to sit.Well at least not in this case.

Lockdwn11
06-19-2010, 06:18 PM
bottom line is this....Dusty is not playing the next best option when his "below average" option is hurt....if I am the media, I am ripping him everyday with this question. Janish has the SS area on freaking lockdown when he is there....I dont care if he goes O fer the season, put him out there after OC's last AB in the 7th or 8th innning and allow our team to have a wizard out there for an inning or 2.

And I think Janish is better than Juan Castro on defense....Juan was slick, dont get me wrong, but Janish is on another planet.

A wizard? Janish is a slightly above average Short Stop and that means he is a darn good one but he isn't in Larkin's league with the glove if that is what you mean by wizard

Vottomatic
06-19-2010, 06:34 PM
A wizard? Janish is a slightly above average Short Stop and that means he is a darn good one but he isn't in Larkin's league with the glove if that is what you mean by wizard

Completely disagree. He is one of the best defensive SS's in all of MLB. I've seen it with my eyes.

Lockdwn11
06-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Completely disagree. He is one of the best defensive SS's in all of MLB. I've seen it with my eyes.

Ok we will have to disagree. Janish has good hands and a great arm but he doesn't have a the range to be elite IMO.

bshall2105
06-19-2010, 06:41 PM

I tried to think of a few defensive shortstops better than Janish in the NL, all I could come up with is Jimmy Rollins and Troy Tulowitzki, and I don't know that either of them are actually better than him with the glove. Anyone else think of somebody better?

Lockdwn11
06-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Jose Reyes

LeDoux
06-19-2010, 11:20 PM
I heard Janish will replace Leake in the rotation in late August.

I heard the same thing! Lance McAlister has the real dope.

1990REDS
06-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Ok we will have to disagree. Janish has good hands and a great arm but he doesn't have a the range to be elite IMO.

I think with janish its that he makes a lot of diificult plays look routine so it doesnt appear like hes doing anything special.

Fon Duc Tow
06-21-2010, 01:15 PM
OC obviously needs a day off. He can't even find the time to wash his batting helmet.