PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Sam LeCure

texasdave
06-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I like rooting for the underdog as much as anyone else, but it is pretty obvious that Sam Lecure is a poor man's Aaron Harang. If this is a season which is circling the bowl, I say let him stay in the rotation. But it isn't. Sam needs to go back to Louisville pronto. Bring up Chapman or Wood and insert one of the two into the rotation. If you want to send whomever back down when Volquez or Bailey is ready fine. But I have seen the future and it doesn't go by the name of Sam LeCure. Jocketty continues to fiddle while the 2010 season burns.

jmac
06-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Lecure has faced Carpentar, Cain, Greinke and Hernandez. He hasnt pitched badly at all. One pitch last night and he goes from 6 IP 2 r to 6 IP 5 r. Right now, if I had to start an unknown commodity or Lecure, I would take Lecure. In fact, I would probably take Lecure over Harang as a #5 .

redsfan_12
06-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Id rather have him than Harang.

1990REDS
06-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I think hes been servicable for a guy that was called up to make a couple starts while baily was hurt. Hes had a lot of tough pitching matchups against guys that honestly i dont think bailey even beats.

Griffey012
06-20-2010, 11:01 AM
I like rooting for the underdog as much as anyone else, but it is pretty obvious that Sam Lecure is a poor man's Aaron Harang. If this is a season which is circling the bowl, I say let him stay in the rotation. But it isn't. Sam needs to go back to Louisville pronto. Bring up Chapman or Wood and insert one of the two into the rotation. If you want to send whomever back down when Volquez or Bailey is ready fine. But I have seen the future and it doesn't go by the name of Sam LeCure. Jocketty continues to fiddle while the 2010 season burns.

This is borderline ludicrous. LeCure has done nothing but pitch well and battle against ACES. I do not want to see Bailey back in the rotation if it means LeCure is gone. LeCure is giving us a solid effort every time out. Sure Bailey may have a game or two where he goes 8 innings k's 9 and gives up a run, LeCure will never do that. But LeCure will keeps us in all of the other games, something Bailey has not been able to do.

Aaron Harang is a poor man's Sam LeCure right now.

Maker_84
06-20-2010, 11:34 AM
It shows how bad our rotation is when he is like our 3 when on any other MLB team he would be a 5

Griffey012
06-20-2010, 11:51 AM
It shows how bad our rotation is when he is like our 3 when on any other MLB team he would be a 5

Arroyo
Cueto
Leake
Harang

LeCure is at best our #4 if you place him in front of Harang. He is our #5 right now, and is doing a commendable job of giving us a chance to win.

BigPoppa
06-20-2010, 02:36 PM

Cannot agree. LeCure has pitched very well in his outings and he has been a tough luck loser. The guy's gotten poor run support and been thrown out there against perennial Cy Young candidates.

ETA:

LeCure v. Hernandez - Reds score 1 run
LeCure v. Greinke - Reds score 3 runs
LeCure v. Cain - Reds score 0 runs
LeCure v. Carpenter - Reds score 1 run

ILoveWilly
06-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Put the guy in the pen, he's been pretty damn good until the very end of his outings when we have no one to relieve him. I would guess most of his ER's have come in the last inning or so of his starts. I bet he would be a very solid middle reliever if they gave him a shot.

GIDP
06-20-2010, 02:48 PM
4.8 BB/9
6.0 BB/9
1.5 HR/9
9.3 H/9

Hes pretty bad, his ERA is 4.50 and its not going to get a lot better considering his first few starts were just plain luck that runs didnt score.

Maybe he can pitch in the pen but hes hittable, walks guys, and doesnt strike out anyone really, and he gives up 1 home run per start on average.

I dont like where his stats are headed.

Kiss the Baby00
06-20-2010, 03:03 PM
4.8 BB/9
6.0 BB/9
1.5 HR/9
9.3 H/9

Hes pretty bad, his ERA is 4.50 and its not going to get a lot better considering his first few starts were just plain luck that runs didnt score.

Maybe he can pitch in the pen but hes hittable, walks guys, and doesnt strike out anyone really, and he gives up 1 home run per start on average.

best post in the thread.

zipcurve
06-20-2010, 04:13 PM
How many runs has Lecure given up when the Reds had the lead?

Griffey012
06-20-2010, 05:30 PM
4.8 BB/9
6.0 BB/9
1.5 HR/9
9.3 H/9

I agree with that, but there is no reason to get him out of here until he starts giving up the runs.

texasdave
06-20-2010, 05:43 PM
I agree with that, but there is no reason to get him out of here until he starts giving up the runs.

You agree that he is pretty bad and you agree that you don't like the way things are headed, but you can't think of a reason to take him out of the rotation now? Here are some. Think outside the box, be proactive and don't wait for the inevitable collapse before you react.

zipcurve
06-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Hey while we are at it, let's get rid of some of the collapsing offense. Just being proactive.

GIDP
06-20-2010, 05:59 PM

He is already giving up the Runs.

Griffey012
06-20-2010, 08:18 PM
You agree that he is pretty bad and you agree that you don't like the way things are headed, but you can't think of a reason to take him out of the rotation now? Here are some. Think outside the box, be proactive and don't wait for the inevitable collapse before you react.

I guess I should have clarified better, I agree his peripherals reflect a result worse than what he has given, thus his result will likely get worse. But I don't agree he is bad.

Who do we replace him with right now? If he can provide us a 4.50ish E.R.A. and keep us in games until Volquez jumps on ship in early July, then he is doing a fine job. Wood or Maloney probably won't give us anything better than LeCure is right now. And I would really prefer to see any 1 of those 3 (LeCure, Maloney, or Wood) taking the hill before Bailey, when Bailey returns. Right now you put him on a short leash and pay close attention, if he gives up another 4-5 runs in 6 innings in his next 2 outings, then you make a change.

There is no inevitable collapse, this is LeCure's first taste of the bigs and has had to pitch in some tough games. How do we know his peripherals don't improve? Maybe he starts walking fewer hitters, he was only walking 2.2 per 9 in AAA this season, and 3.1 for his minor league career. His h/9 look about right based off his minor league numbers, but his BB/9 is pretty high, look for that to come down and for LeCure to keep his ERA under 5.00.

Trying to predict a player's ups and downs in baseball is like trying to predict the stock market, pretty difficult. Thus until we have a better option (a healthy Volquez) LeCure should stay put until he gives us reason to move him.

Kingspoint
06-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Cannot agree. LeCure has pitched very well in his outings and he has been a tough luck loser. The guy's gotten poor run support and been thrown out there against perennial Cy Young candidates.

ETA:

LeCure v. Hernandez - Reds score 1 run
LeCure v. Greinke - Reds score 3 runs
LeCure v. Cain - Reds score 0 runs
LeCure v. Carpenter - Reds score 1 run

Those are some nasty matchups.