PDA

View Full Version : 30 innings, 1 run scored

fearofpopvol1
06-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Say hello to the best offense in the NL??

The 30 goes back to the 30...the 27 after it were against the M's.

CTA513
06-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Need to get back to the smaller parks.

forfreelin04
06-20-2010, 06:50 PM
More like reverting back to where they belong

Joseph
06-20-2010, 06:50 PM
June swoon indeed. A simply pathetic display by the boys in Red the last two weeks. VERY fortunate to only be a game and a half back.

OnBaseMachine
06-20-2010, 06:51 PM
The Reds pitching staff held the Mariners to seven runs in three games. The result? Three losses. That should have been a sweep, or at worst two of three.

hebroncougar
06-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Hey dude, bases ain't clogged.:)

SirFelixCat
06-20-2010, 06:52 PM
O-Cab OBP for the season now?

Why does Dusty hate Janish?

flyer85
06-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Need to get back to the smaller parks.

Reds have been extremely HR dependent. Big parks are not conducive to their lack of on base ability

CTA513
06-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Only 1 run from the offense and both Cueto and Harang take the loss in 1-0 games.

OnBaseMachine
06-20-2010, 06:57 PM

And painfully bad range. Brandon Phillips made two or three plays on the shortstop side of second base last night. I don't understand why Dusty continues to send Cabrera out there with a bad ankle. His range was bad before the ankle injury but now it's even worse.

RedsManRick
06-20-2010, 07:00 PM
So basically, as good as Arthur Rhodes has been this year, that was how bad the Reds offense was.

Just have to remember that we're 37-33 and only 1.5 games out. I bet 99% of the people on RedsZone would have taken that after 70 games if you offered it before the season.

Screwball
06-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Good thing they had a DH. :ughmamoru

alloverjr
06-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Reds have been extremely HR dependent. Big parks are not conducive to their lack of on base ability

Certainly blame Walt for this, but a poor pitching staff is going to be this teams achilles heal, not the offense.

Mario-Rijo
06-20-2010, 07:02 PM
And painfully bad range. Brandon Phillips made two or three plays on the shortstop side of second base last night. I don't understand why Dusty continues to send Cabrera out there with a bad ankle. His range was bad before the ankle injury but now it's even worse.

Cabrera made 2 rangey plays, one on Ichiro to his left and the other deep in the hole to his right. I Gotta give credit when it's due, I can't agree with ya here.

Slyder
06-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Say hello to the best offense in the NL??

Last time I checked Felix Hernandez and Cliff Lee were pretty good. There's a lot of teams that those two make as foolish as the Reds.

Mario-Rijo
06-20-2010, 07:05 PM

Without a ton of speed at the top to boot. Votto played well and BP did ok as well the guys behind them struggled mightily though. I thought Stubbs had a decent series and felt he should have played against Cliff Lee the other night which may have made a difference. Dusty makes some strange moves at times. Also Corky started 2 games here, enuff said there.

SirFelixCat
06-20-2010, 07:08 PM

This simply has to stop. His defensive range is pretty :lmao: bad as well. If he gets to the ball, he's nails. But he simply doesn't get to as many as he should. And that OBP is beyond atrocious for a team serious about contending.

Sea Ray
06-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Last time I checked Felix Hernandez and Cliff Lee were pretty good. There's a lot of teams that those two make as foolish as the Reds.

I cut them some slack with Lee/Felix but now you have to say that the team is in a slump. The last three innings they hardly put a ball in play. You get 5 walks from Roland-Smith in 6 innings you have to score something. This is a team meltdown. Cliff Lee said after Friday night's game that he honestly didn't have his best stuff.

This was piss poor on the Reds part. I had tickets to all three games but I only went to one. Man am I glad I didn't sit through this one. I might as well be watching World Cup soccer.

This team tries to win my allegiance and they embarrass me and my city vs one of the worst teams in the league. How do youy get behind a team like that? As soon as you start to believe and give them credit they let you down. The goal now is back to finishing over .500. Don't let them lull you into believing they're a contender. Don't do that to yourself...:(

MWM
06-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Calling Mr. Raisor!!!! Is it time for 3rd person mode yet?

RFS62
06-20-2010, 07:13 PM

Rally Onion getting a little stale

pedro
06-20-2010, 07:15 PM
I was at game last night and today. The air was just incredibly wet and heavy here. Today might be the nastiest June day I've ever experienced.

Ghosts of 1990
06-20-2010, 07:16 PM
More like reverting back to where they belong

exactly.

I said all along this offense wouldn't hit, and I was confused as to why I was so wrong.

I expected frequent runs like this.

Sea Ray
06-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Man did we do wonders for the Mariner's self esteem. The broadcasters are bragging how thet held the NL's best offensive team and Chone Figgins talked on the post game about how well they're doing against teams like the Reds who are in 1st or 2nd place.

The Cincinnati Reds: the Dr Phil of MLB

pedro
06-20-2010, 07:18 PM
I had a good time despite the Reds losing and find the idea of being "embarassed" by a sports teams poor performance puzzling to say the least.

Spring~Fields
06-20-2010, 07:25 PM
I had a good time despite the Reds losing and find the idea of being "embarassed" by a sports teams poor performance puzzling to say the least.

Glad that you had a great time in Seattle, at least something good happened. :)

I am dumbfounded by the outcomes. I know good pitching, but.

11larkin11
06-20-2010, 07:25 PM
I find it too bad that we're the only team to go through a slump this year. This must be the real Reds team, not a combo of this and the team that was arguably the best in baseball in May.

With us being the only team in baseball that slumps, we must be what 12 or 13 back now right? Haven't checked the standings.

Its not like the defending two time NL champion Phillies went 30 innings earlier this season without scoring. We must have the worst offensive streak in baseball history. Yeah, thats it. The offense will continue to score 0's until they're with the Pirates, and the pitching will most likely get worse, although, hey, how can it? Am I right?

/end of world

Redsfan320
06-20-2010, 07:53 PM
1 run in 3 games. Unacceptable. I don't give a crap what pitchers you're facing, to score one run in an entire series is absolutely ridiculous. Sad.

Tony Cloninger
06-20-2010, 07:57 PM
No speed at the top is not the fault of Baker....when the guy he wanted to hit first was terrible. You got any other speedsters we can use up there that will actually get on base? I do not see Omar Moreno lurking around anywhere.

You want to try Stubbs again at the top...sure I would have no problem but he goes so hot and cold...i doubt it would make much difference.

They had 4 .300 hitters in their lineup during the hot streak....so they have not been that homer dependent....they just happen to hit all at the same time and now they are not. Just like the first 2 weeks of the year or so.

Raisor
06-20-2010, 08:06 PM

not yet. Team needs to be below .500 for that to work.

Slyder
06-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Does anyone think that we could try Phillips in leadoff and Stubbs 2nd and see better results now? OCab was great for a while but he's hurt and its hurting the team just trying to see what others think. It would limit Phillips' RBI and also opportunities for him to GIDP. Just throwing it out there since people are complaining about OCab and we already know the ringing if Janish replaced him high in the order.

TheNext44
06-20-2010, 08:35 PM
The Reds play a team with a losing record 57 times over the remaining 92 games, so that means they face a team with a winning record only 35 more times.

Now the Royals and Mariners didn't have winning records so it doesn't mean a whole lot, but things should get easier for the Reds from now.

MWM
06-20-2010, 08:36 PM
not yet. Team needs to be below .500 for that to work.

So next week then? :D

fearofpopvol1
06-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Does anyone think that we could try Phillips in leadoff and Stubbs 2nd and see better results now? OCab was great for a while but he's hurt and its hurting the team just trying to see what others think. It would limit Phillips' RBI and also opportunities for him to GIDP. Just throwing it out there since people are complaining about OCab and we already know the ringing if Janish replaced him high in the order.

I'd welcome that, but I can't see Baker batting Cabrera lower than 2nd. I'm still shocked he moved Phillips to 2nd to be honest.

Stranger things have happened I suppose.

TheNext44
06-20-2010, 09:01 PM
I'd welcome that, but I can't see Baker batting Cabrera lower than 2nd. I'm still shocked he moved Phillips to 2nd to be honest.

Stranger things have happened I suppose.

I agree. I think the only hope is for Cabrera to be DLed, Janish named the starting SS for the time being, and Phillips moved to leadoff. Of course, that means Janish batting second, but I'm not as against that as most are. The real issue is not who leads off, but who plays SS.

pedro
06-20-2010, 09:18 PM
I agree. I think the only hope is for Cabrera to be DLed, Janish named the starting SS for the time being, and Phillips moved to leadoff. Of course, that means Janish batting second, but I'm not as against that as most are. The real issue is not who leads off, but who plays SS.

I was at the game yesterday and today. Cabrera's defense had nothing to do with those losses.

WVRedsFan
06-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Take a very productive catcher's spot and insert Corky Miller.
Face a lefthander.
Hack at first pitches or early in the count.
Swing for the fences on every at-bat.

Recipe for disaster and 1 run in 27 innings.

Glad I'm on vacation in Myrtle Beach this week and couldn't watch.

take

edabbs44
06-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I was at the game yesterday and today. Cabrera's defense had nothing to do with those losses.

It has to be. Just like Gomes' non-DHing was such a huge issue on Friday.

traderumor
06-20-2010, 09:27 PM
The week that we took over first place from the Cards, they got swept at home by Houston, Houston, at home then lost 2 of 3 to us at our place, struggling on offense the entire week. Yet, they recovered and are back in 1st. This too shall pass for the Reds.

Krusty
06-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Does this team have any concept of maybe playing alittle small ball?

traderumor
06-20-2010, 09:34 PM
gotta get on base to play small ball.

flyer85
06-20-2010, 09:37 PM

I'm sure they do, they just lack the skills

Slyder
06-20-2010, 09:58 PM

Its why I suggested going with Phillips in the leadoff. Bit of a free swinger but it eliminate some/most of the opportunities for him to roll over something and the evil GIDP. You also gotta get people on base in order to do that. Plus you got to think about whos in the lineup.

Honestly I doubt that Phillips would he sees himself as too big a "star" to (note I said himself) and Dusty wouldnt want to hurt his feelings.

Personally I want Rolen, Gomes, and Votto swinging they do more good trying to crush the pitch than to really move guys over MOST of the time (last at bat needing one run to win a possible exception).

That leaves you (insert catcher here), Janish, Cairo, Cabrera, Nix, etc whom all better have the ability to do it if they want to stick around.

mbgrayson
06-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Over the three game series, the Reds weren't exactly patient at the plate. They simply didn't see very many pitches.

6/18/10 110 pitches, 0 walks.
6/19/10 116 pitches, 1 walk.
6/20/10 143 pitches, 5 walks.

Now I realize that against top notch pitchers you can't wait for walks, or you will just strike out looking. Still, the way you can try to win those tough games is to run the pitch count up enough to get into the bullpen. Today, that didn't succeed, but if we had made them run Brandon League (or someone weaker) out there every day, he wouldn't have been so overpowering.

Now the Reds again have to put a bad weekend behind them, and move on to Oakland.

So far in June they are 7 wins, 11 losses.

TheNext44
06-20-2010, 10:16 PM

I never said it did. But going forward, I think it's becoming more an evident that JanisH is the better option at SS. He can't be worse.

Spring~Fields
06-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Over the three game series, the Reds weren't exactly patient at the plate. They simply didn't see very many pitches.

6/18/10 110 pitches, 0 walks.
6/19/10 116 pitches, 1 walk.
6/20/10 143 pitches, 5 walks.

Baker on that first night against Lee was on with Marty and the pre-game and said something to the effect, don’t be surprised to see a lot of our guys first pitch swinging because Lee throws strikes, and comes after you.

I think that sometimes, that we forget that the batters and the pitchers get orders from headquarters at times, and that they are doing what they are told, sometimes.

It wasn’t that long ago that in another pre-game interview with Marty, that Baker said that they had pitched one of the San Francisco batters according to a scouting report and that batter did very well. Then he said that he called another scout regarding that batter (I can’t remember his name), and that the scout told Baker, no, no, you pitch the guy just the opposite, and when they did, the outcome was better.

It is not all just the batters, or just the pitchers.

fearofpopvol1
06-20-2010, 10:22 PM

Cabrera has admitted he's battling an ankle injury. His OBP is in the .280 range and his OPS is in the .620 range. More than his glove, his bat has been horrible. Especially as the leadoff hitter. Something should be done, even if it's just for a couple of days.

kaldaniels
06-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Baker on that first night against Lee was on with Marty and the pre-game and said something to the effect, donít be surprised to see a lot of our guys first pitch swinging because Lee throws strikes, and comes after you.

I think that sometimes, that we forget that the batters and the pitchers get orders from headquarters at times, and that they are doing what they are told, sometimes.

It wasnít that long ago that in another pre-game interview with Marty, that Baker said that they had pitched one of the San Francisco batters according to a scouting report and that batter did very well. Then he said that he called another scout regarding that batter (I canít remember his name), and that the scout told Baker, no, no, you pitch the guy just the opposite, and when they did, the outcome was better.

It is not all just the batters, or just the pitchers.

17 of the 33 batters facing Cliff Lee took the first pitch. The guy has walked 4 all year. The guy is a top-5 pitcher in the majors.

If he's on, the pitch count is gonna be low...you gotta swing sometime.

westofyou
06-20-2010, 10:38 PM

You mean like the 2 walk sac bunt play they had in the 7th inning>

Spring~Fields
06-20-2010, 10:40 PM
17 of the 33 batters facing Cliff Lee took the first pitch. The guy has walked 4 all year. The guy is a top-5 pitcher in the majors.

If he's on, the pitch count is gonna be low...you gotta swing sometime.

I did not have any problem with what Baker said and his reasoning at the time. Seemed right to me if Lee was going to throw strikes that they could handle.

But I am not going to be naive and think that the pitchers and batters approach is always something of their own making completely either.

What if the scouting reports are not that good, or the interpretation of the scouting reports on how to pitch certain batters etc. Is it the delivery, or are they calling for the wrong pitches? Does the instructions to the batters, create what we think we see from some of them at times? Sure it does, not always.

VR
06-20-2010, 10:50 PM
The ratio of runs scored this weekend for every $ VR spent on tickets for his family was $520 to 1.

I too, had a good time despite the sweep.

I enjoyed....

BP/ Rolen/ Jay on defense. The crowd around my was amazed at the plays these 3 made. The force at 2nd by Rolen today while fielding a grounder and throwing from foul territory was absurd. Cabrera did the 'you go ahead and take it' to Phillips on about 4 balls that I thought he would be fielding. I believe BP threw out 3 of them....including 1 where he ended up on the foul line after throwing it.

Solid, although not spectacular pitching by Harang, Cueto and the bullpen. Just need to quit throwing so many balls that are 3 feet out of the strike zone. They continue getting ahead 0-2 & 1&2, only to throw one head high or a foot outside where it isn't close to getting swung at.

Mike Leake signed a ball for my 8 yr old. Fan for life :thumbup:

I was shocked that the Reds attempted 1 sb in the series. Plenty of opportunities....seemed too content.

Reds1
06-20-2010, 11:00 PM
GABP they would have had several HRS, but they aren't there. Tough stretch. At least cards lost

pedro
06-20-2010, 11:05 PM
I never said it did. But going forward, I think it's becoming more an evident that JanisH is the better option at SS. He can't be worse.

I got the impression that you were saying the lesson to be learned from this weekend was that the Reds needed to put Phillips in lead off, bat Janish second and bench Cabrera. With nobody else hitting anything either and Cabrera's defense not being a factor I don't see how that would have helped. I'm all for sitting Cabrera a bit to let his ankle heal but the lesson I got from this weekend is don't try and hit homers when it's 55 and wet outside and you're playing in a big park.

mdccclxix
06-20-2010, 11:06 PM
The ball was just dying in mid air today for both teams, plus it was 50-55 degrees! The Mariners can pat themselves on the back, as long as they tip a hat to mother nature.

VR
06-20-2010, 11:06 PM
the lesson I got from this weekend is don't try and hit homers when it's 55 and wet outside and you're playing in a big park.

b-i-ngo

westofyou
06-20-2010, 11:16 PM
b-i-ngo

I now am pleased with PDX weather.

VR
06-20-2010, 11:22 PM
I now am pleased with PDX weather.

My wife and I just looked up tomorrows weather....high of 65 and only partly cloudy...we're ecstatic.

Kc61
06-21-2010, 12:30 AM
the lesson I got from this weekend is don't try and hit homers when it's 55 and wet outside and you're playing in a big park.

IMO this is the Reds' problem with the west coast. Most of the ballparks are big, pitchers parks. The Reds don't seem to adjust well. They continue to hit long fly balls, but in these stadiums they are routine outs.

Rolen today seemed to have adjusted well, but most of the guys appear to be swinging for the long one. Reds need to adjust their style of hitting when in these stadiums.

GAC
06-21-2010, 04:51 AM
You'd think this is the first time this team, in all it's history, ever went into a slump. They are da funk right now fer sur, but I also agree with pedro that the weather, plus playing in a big park that is not a hitter's park, contributed to the continued funktitude.

Sea Ray
06-21-2010, 09:16 AM
You'd think this is the first time this team, in all it's history, ever went into a slump. They are da funk right now fer sur, but I also agree with pedro that the weather, plus playing in a big park that is not a hitter's park, contributed to the continued funktitude.

I wish I could blame it on that. The truth is this funk has been going on for the past 20 games encompassing a lot more than just the Seattle series

Ltlabner
06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
You've got a lineup full of rookies (or near rookies), hackers, and long-ball hitters. Rolen stands as the only seasoned professional* hitter. It should be no shock that the offense will look like the 1976 Reds one stretch and the '82 Reds the next.

* I'm not sure what "professional hitter" even means. Just not sure how to describe Rolen who actually looks like a Major Leaguer at the plate most of the time. Votto comes close but he's young and gets into funks too.

15fan
06-21-2010, 09:42 AM
My spouse does a fair amount of work travel to Seattle. The trip out there is a killer on so many levels. I don't think it explains 1 run in 3 games, but it's part of the equation.

The Reds never play well on the west coast. Any win on the west coast is gravy, IMO.

RFS62
06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
My spouse does a fair amount of work travel to Seattle. The trip out there is a killer on so many levels. I don't think it explains 1 run in 3 games, but it's part of the equation.

The Reds never play well on the west coast. Any win on the west coast is gravy, IMO.

yep

Razor Shines
06-21-2010, 10:58 AM

I watched the Rangers game yesterday, they played small ball in the first inning.

The Astros' Felipe Paulino walked the first two batters of the game and Ron Washington has 3 hole hitter Ian Kinsler sac bunt on the first pitch. Vlad Guerrero then popped out and Hamilton flied out. I threw up and then said "I'd rather have Dusty Baker than Ron Washington."

Doesn't really have anything to do with the Reds, just had a realization that a lot of other ML managers would be just as infuriating as Dusty can be.

hebroncougar
06-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I watched the Rangers game yesterday, they played small ball in the first inning.

The Astros' Felipe Paulino walked the first two batters of the game and Ron Washington has 3 hole hitter Ian Kinsler sac bunt on the first pitch. Vlad Guerrero then popped out and Hamilton flied out. I threw up and then said "I'd rather have Dusty Baker than Ron Washington."

Doesn't really have anything to do with the Reds, just had a realization that a lot of other ML managers would be just as infuriating as Dusty can be.

Ron was feeling the love from his hit before the game at that point. ;)

_Sir_Charles_
06-21-2010, 11:05 AM

I was going to wait for someone else to say it first this time.

nate
06-21-2010, 11:22 AM
O-Cab last 3 years (1004 PA): .273/.307/.374/.682
O-Cab, 2010 (296 PA): .247/.286/.339/.625

Janish Career (429 PA): .210/.300/.303/.603

No sense splitting Janish's numbers out this year.

So is Janish's glove worth 20 points of OPS?

Is it worth 80?

edabbs44
06-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Is it worth 80?

Not sure that it is worth 80. Plus, last time I checked OCab's UZR was on the positive side, in stark contract to the long dead classic "-36" thread.

pedro
06-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Is it worth 80?

To me it has to worth more if you are going to do it. It just doesn't make sense to do for numerous reasons if it is merely a lateral move. That much being said, if Cabrera is indeed hurt, and it seems that way I think giving him some rest is a good idea.

edabbs44
06-21-2010, 11:39 AM
To me it has to worth more if you are going to do it. It just doesn't make sense to do for numerous reasons if it is merely a lateral move. That much being said, if Cabrera is indeed hurt, and it seems that way I think giving him some rest is a good idea.

Couldn't agree more. I don't get why they'd have him try and play through this, if it is what it appears to be.

nate
06-21-2010, 12:26 PM

Well, I'm baby stepping here so I just want to see if we can simply establish that his Janish's glove bridges the gap between his stick and O-Cab's.

Once we get to that point, we can decide if the bridge has on/off-ramps, rest stops, gas stations, etc.

pedro
06-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Well, I'm baby stepping here so I just want to see if we can simply establish that his Janish's glove bridges the gap between his stick and O-Cab's.

Once we get to that point, we can decide if the bridge has on/off-ramps, rest stops, gas stations, etc.

Understood. It's just that teams with winning records and apparently good chemistry don't often bench a veteran that they just signed in the off season to make a lateral move.

westofyou
06-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Understood. It's just that teams with winning records and apparently good chemistry don't often bench a veteran that they just signed in the off season to make a lateral move.

True, losing teams can get a longer leash than winning teams, the Mike Andrews incident brings to mind the sort reaction one might expect when a winning team attempts it (even if it is driven by megalomaniacs at the top)

Reds Fanatic
06-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Cabrera has been playing with a sprained ankle almost the whole month of June. His OBP for the month is now .221. Janish should be playing and if they are going to play Cabrera he should not be in the leadoff spot anymore. Basically they are back to Corey Patterson numbers from the leadoff spot with the way Cabrera is hitting right now.

VR
06-21-2010, 01:19 PM

Overall...perhaps. But has been mentioned, OCab isn't going to be benched or released this year. Having Janish play at least once a week, and having him as a late inning defensive replacement via double switches is most likely the best case scenario at this point.

Additionally, OCab's best suited for a #7 or #8 spot in the batting order.

durl
06-21-2010, 02:25 PM
For the first game of the Oakland series, I would start Janish at SS and have the outfield as Gomes, Heisley, and Nix. Maybe even put Cairo in there somewhere. Change it up as much as possible. If they stink, who'll notice?

Spring~Fields
06-21-2010, 05:10 PM

I know that the reference to Cabrera is due to his possible injury, that some rest might be beneficial.

I am big believer in players getting an extra day off for rest and what benefit that brings. I know that we have all seen players do very well after getting that extra day off here and there. Not to send any messages or to be punitive, but simply rest. Gets the other guys some reps too in case you need them.

I just don’t know where the center or balance point is for days off, how much is beneficial vs counterproductive and how often. I think that we have seen Rolen, Stubbs, both catchers Hanigan and Hernandez along with Gomes do well after having that well placed day off here and there.

Has there ever been any studies on that, the giving extra time off and the benefits or not?

GAC
06-22-2010, 04:57 AM
I wish I could blame it on that. The truth is this funk has been going on for the past 20 games encompassing a lot more than just the Seattle series

I didn't define the slump as only encompassing the Seattle series. That was only a 3 game series, and a slump is of a longer period then that. That's why it's called a slump. ;)

Slumps are a part of baseball, and every team goes through them. I personally don't think this Reds team is a bad team that is now showing it's true character simply because they are going through a cold spell, any more then that May hot streak showed it's true character.

Now if this team goes on a really extended losing streak over the next couple of months, then we've crossed the line from it being a slump to simply a terribly bad team that was over-hyped. But we'll have to wait and see on that.

durl
06-22-2010, 09:13 AM
For the first game of the Oakland series, I would start Janish at SS and have the outfield as Gomes, Heisley, and Nix. Maybe even put Cairo in there somewhere. Change it up as much as possible. If they stink, who'll notice?

Well, Dusty took my advice on Janish, Heisley, and Cairo and look what happened. :D