PDA

View Full Version : Grim news about "Extra Innings" host Doc Rodgers

Mainspark
06-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Doc Rodgers, the ex-Reds front office official who replaced Tracy Jones a few years ago on WLW's post-game "Extra Innings" show, had a grim announcement on his program today.
He has terminal lung cancer, of a kind that has a typical survival rate of 18 months to five years.
I didn't hear the entire broadcast, but at one point he was threatening to throw a current Reds official "under the bus," by naming him, if he failed to return several phone messages Rodgers had left for him in recent weeks.
Don't know how, if at all, that got resolved. Suggesting he had little to lose at this point, he also was also contemplating rating WLW's sports hosts on their knowledge of baseball.
Rodgers is 47, has never been a smoker.

Chip R
06-20-2010, 10:05 PM
That's terrible news. :(

Always Red
06-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Doc Rodgers, the ex-Reds front office official who replaced Tracy Jones a few years ago on WLW's post-game "Extra Innings" show, had a grim announcement on his program today.
He has terminal lung cancer, of a kind that has a typical survival rate of 18 months to five years.
I didn't hear the entire broadcast, but at one point he was threatening to throw a current Reds official "under the bus," by naming him, if he failed to return several phone messages Rodgers had left for him in recent weeks.
Don't know how, if at all, that got resolved. Suggesting he had little to lose at this point, he also was also contemplating rating WLW's sports hosts on their knowledge of baseball.
Rodgers is 47, has never been a smoker.

That's bad news about Doc. I am sorry to hear that.

He has improved light years over the last 2 years on that show.

Why exactly was he upset with the Reds? Was he just lashing out (maybe understandably)?

OnBaseMachine
06-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Sad news. I'm sorry to hear that.

Mainspark
06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
He indicated the person who hadn't returned his messages was a longtime acquaintance Rodgers wants to put in touch with a local group that hopes to involve the Reds in some kind of community project.
Apparently that scenario had nothing to do with his radio show.
I'm not certain if he had revealed this before, but Rodgers today also said he is prohibited from saying a great deal about some former co-workers in the organization, specifically Jim Bowden, under the terms of an out-of-court settlement stemming from a lawsuit he filed against the team.
He did, however, suggest the thought of former boss Bowden makes him nauseous.

Spring~Fields
06-20-2010, 10:11 PM
I must have been mistaken, I thought that he had said that it was a brain tumor. As he had been speaking of migraine headaches, and then they did a CAT scan.

Mainspark
06-20-2010, 10:13 PM
He did mention having suffered from a brain tumor, but said treatment had successfully taken care of that.
The prognosis he received in recent days concerning a tumor on one of his lungs is apparently unrelated.

Spring~Fields
06-20-2010, 10:32 PM
He did mention having suffered from a brain tumor, but said treatment had successfully taken care of that.
The prognosis he received in recent days concerning a tumor on one of his lungs is apparently unrelated.

Oh I did not hear that part.

That is terrible.

Bob Borkowski
06-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Wow, sorry to hear this.

I noticed that his voice had a different sound to it the last few weeks. I guess this news might explain that.

George Anderson
06-20-2010, 10:49 PM
He has young kids if I am not mistaken.

hebroncougar
06-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Man..........hate to hear the news. Maybe in the next year or so a new treatment will be able to give him and other lung cancer sufferers some more hope.

Redsfan320
06-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Don't like him as a radio host at all, but that's very horrible news, and I wish him the best. :(

redsmetz
06-21-2010, 09:51 PM
How sad. My next older brother was diagnosed with lung cancer about when he was 47. He died about six months after he turned 49. Lung cancer often matastisizes to the brain. My brother worked until about two months before he died.

VR
06-21-2010, 10:48 PM
It's devastating he has cancer....and very odd that he talking about throwing Reds brass under the bus in the same story? :confused:

Chip R
06-21-2010, 10:58 PM
It's devastating he has cancer....and very odd that he talking about throwing Reds brass under the bus in the same story? :confused:

A 21st century version of Howard Beale?

VR
06-22-2010, 01:33 AM
A 21st century version of Howard Beale?

That's the vision I was getting when reading it, good call Chip.

Always Red
06-22-2010, 04:53 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100622/SPT04/306220030/WLW-talk-show-host-has-lung-cancer

After reading this, it made sense to me that Doc might not be himself in calling out a Reds FO employee on the air:

After two weeks of severe headaches, he said, his left knee, foot and arm went numb when he came home from WLW-AM on May 23.

"I thought I was having a stroke," he said.

Emergency room doctors determined he had a brain tumor about the size of a quarter. In preparation for brain surgery on May 25, a full-body scan revealed that he had non-small-cell lung cancer that had spread to his brain.

Good luck to Doc in his treatment.

BearcatShane
06-22-2010, 05:00 PM
I'll pray for a miracle every night for Doc. This is very irrelavant but I did not know Doc was an African American.

Joseph
06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Mot sad news indeed.

Vada Pinson Fan
06-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I heard Doc's broadcast and his one wish for every father is to go out and get the most life insurance you can afford. Doc now has a "pre-existing condition" and cannot get aditional life insurance to help his wife and children. His wish is for you to get it "tomorrow"/Monday since the show was on this past Sunday. Please don't put it off.

There are 2 basic types of life insurance. Please get the one that fits your situation best. One of the insurance types is much better I believe than the other so ask someone you trust if you don't know about it yourself. Those two types are: Whole Life and Term.

Doc, if you happen to be reading this, we are praying for you. Prayer is the best medicine and produces miracles. Keep strong in your faith and laughter is a positive force. May GOD heal your pain and suffering, Doc, and return you to full health.

Jerry / Vada Pinson Fan

WVRedsFan
06-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Nothing worse than a young man sticken with such a horrible thing. My prayers go out to him.

Ron Madden
06-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Doc Rodgers always treats his callers with respect and honesty.

Let's all keep Doc and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

Roy Tucker
06-23-2010, 08:02 AM
I heard Doc's broadcast and his one wish for every father is to go out and get the most life insurance you can afford. Doc now has a "pre-existing condition" and cannot get aditional life insurance to help his wife and children. His wish is for you to get it "tomorrow"/Monday since the show was on this past Sunday. Please don't put it off.

There are 2 basic types of life insurance. Please get the one that fits your situation best. One of the insurance types is much better I believe than the other so ask someone you trust if you don't know about it yourself. Those two types are: Whole Life and Term.

Doc, if you happen to be reading this, we are praying for you. Prayer is the best medicine and produces miracles. Keep strong in your faith and laughter is a positive force. May GOD heal your pain and suffering, Doc, and return you to full health.

Jerry / Vada Pinson Fan

Good note, Jerry. :thumbup:

I cannot emphasize this enough. My brother-in-law died last fall at the age of 52 from colon cancer. He was just about ready to go in for a physical for additional life insurance but colon cancer put the kibosh on that. He had enough life insurance to get my sister through all of the transition time, but now she has to sell off their house and will have to work for the next 15 years. As well as trying to get used to not having her husband of 30 years.

So guys, it can happen to anyone. Make sure you listen to Doc's message.

paulrichjr
06-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Good note, Jerry. :thumbup:

I cannot emphasize this enough. My brother-in-law died last fall at the age of 52 from colon cancer. He was just about ready to go in for a physical for additional life insurance but colon cancer put the kibosh on that. He had enough life insurance to get my sister through all of the transition time, but now she has to sell off their house and will have to work for the next 15 years. As well as trying to get used to not having her husband of 30 years.

So guys, it can happen to anyone. Make sure you listen to Doc's message.

I'm a CFP and had a major wakeup call about 10 years ago when I met with 6 different people in a 6 week time period who all needed to invest proceeds from their life insurance. It will really floor you when you have to tell a wife that she needs to sell her home because her husbands $150,000 life policy wasn't enough even though he was over 50 and had no kids at home. She cried in my office for an hour.

This is what a lot of people don't think about when it comes to the perm/term debate. (I think a combo of universal and term can be a good way to go for many people) Thinking that they won't need life insurance when the kids are gone is often wrong. In fact two retired people living in a house drawing pensions and social security and suddenly one dies the other could be bankrupt because their lifestyle depended on two social security checks/pensions. Seriously find someone to help you plan how much you need because $200,000 might sound like a lot of money but it isn't when a $100,000 or even a $50,000 check disappears. Don't add to your families grief by making them have to figure out how to pay for your debts or your responsibilities (kids).

As far as Doc goes...Wow. My prayers are with him and his family.

Sea Ray
06-23-2010, 02:04 PM
I guess you have to decide what you want from life insurance. If you want enough insurance so the survivor never has to work again then fine, pay for it. Most people do have to go to work everyday so I don't feel sorry for someone who has to go "back to work." Join the club, that's what we all are doing.

Bob Borkowski
06-26-2010, 09:27 AM
I forgot to check after the Reds broadcast on WLW last night...was Doc on after the game?

George Anderson
06-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Yes...How he can still do his job and be somewhat chipper about it tells me he is a pretty impressive guy.

Bob Borkowski
02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Here's a nice update on Doc's situation. It sounds like he is doing real well so far all things considered.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110214/SPT/302140050/-Doc-fighting-cancer-head-on?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Ghosts of 1990
02-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Here's a nice update on Doc's situation. It sounds like he is doing real well so far all things considered.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110214/SPT/302140050/-Doc-fighting-cancer-head-on?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Inspiring, brave man right there. Rogers has earned a lot of respect from me and I hope to be reading about this a couple years from now and hope he's still doing extra innings in a couple seasons when we're knocking on the door of the World Series

Sea Ray
02-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Inspiring, brave man right there. Rogers has earned a lot of respect from me and I hope to be reading about this a couple years from now and hope he's still doing extra innings in a couple seasons when we're knocking on the door of the World Series

Great to see he's doing so well. There was a time when it looked doubtful that he'd be able to last 'till the end of the 2010 baseball season. It's more a testament to modern medicine than bravery. Good to see they're making headway. My wife, as she was going through breast cancer treatment, told me that she disagreed with all the folks telling her how "courageous" she was. She said "I'm not courageous. I'm just doing what the doctors tell me to do." My guess is Doc's doing the same thing